Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doesn't help their 2nd most talented defender dipshitted his way out of the league.

I hope their most talented defender follows him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Because a good percentage of the roster is loving awful and their two biggest prospects are still figuring it out. Edmonton has proved having 3 fabulous players isn't enough.

Doesn't help their 2nd most talented defender dipshitted his way out of the league.

Lmao Deangelo doesn’t play defense.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/bestofmatt/status/1374533125406097408?s=21

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Lmao Deangelo doesn’t play defense.

Correct. But their defense is so bad (aside from Fox) that no defense guy who moves the puck well is 2nd best.

This is a team that spent money on Jack Johnson.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 24, 2021

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Philadelphia Flyers are uh, *uncrumples paper*

Dogshit Garage

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I don't have the level of despair about the Flyers I had a few years ago, now it's just this area where I go between laughing like walter white in the crawlspace to just cringing and going "oohhhh, that's sad!!!!"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Last time I felt this way about a Flyers team John Stevens was fired

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 24, 2021

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kilza posted:

I had to Google this to see if it was true, and sadly, it was

Even though it was McDonald's offering this, I'll still blame Melnyk's cheap rear end for it not being a lifetime supply :colbert:

I bet Melnyk got the REAL lifetime burger card and kept it for himself and just laser printer some coupons for Hammond.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kilza posted:

I had to Google this to see if it was true, and sadly, it was

Even though it was McDonald's offering this, I'll still blame Melnyk's cheap rear end for it not being a lifetime supply :colbert:

Man, there are a lot of things in life i have low expectations about, and somehow this is still so disappointing.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

lol what in the gently caress

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Correct. But their defense is so bad (aside from Fox) that no defense guy who moves the puck well is 2nd best.

This is a team that spent money on Jack Johnson.

Oilers East?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

NHL refs are, have always been, and will continue to be a total joke

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1374567555126456321

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Koopa Kid posted:

You don’t have to compliment NHL refs like that.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
of loving course it's Tim Peel :laffo:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I know this is from yesterday, but I saw this and was all, "ugh, who is 19 from Calgary? He's being the biggest prick of them all."

And of course it is.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

That's an insult to jokes.

Honestly, I do not understand how they call the game. Between them and basketball refs, they are quite seriously making poo poo up half of the time. It's not difficult to know the law book or rule book and then actually just call things. Sure, there are levels of foul and whether or not it actually caused the offended player to lose their chance to play fairly, but I can't remember a week when I haven't bitched about the refs missing things from 20 feet away. You get good soccer referees calling things from 40 yards away with amazing accuracy (they also have some really bad ones of course). But if you make a mistake, you eat it and let people yell at you for a little bit. Make up calls only make everyone cranky about what's happened.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Good for the Refs finally confirming make-up calls are A Thing

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

of loving course it's Tim Peel :laffo:

Is he still banned from being a ref during the playoffs for his last idiot moment?

Hopefully they extend that to the regular season now too.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I recall hearing that NFL refs are graded after every game and only those with the highest grade get to ref the Super Bowl.

Does the NHL have anything like that?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

NHL Refs decide a game with made up calls? If only we'd ever heard valid accusations of this ten years ago then perhaps something could've been done!

quote:

Vancouver Canucks forward Alexandre Burrows was hit with a fine but avoided a suspension after accusing referee Stephane Auger of slapping him with spiteful penalties.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/canuck-burrows-accusations-against-ref-auger-a-sticky-problem-for-nhl

Oh.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wait, a ref went on air and publically admitted that they (or at least he) routinely makes makeup calls. And they're mad because he said the possibly the most commonly used word among sports viewers?

NHL status: still totally not a joke!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know what’s worse, NHL referring doing their while makeup call bullshit while also being super unwilling to call penalties if it’s late in the game and it’s close, or the fact that NHL Refs used to be way way worse (clutch and grab, etc).

It’s amazing how low a bar it is.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Wild unofficially officially opening extension talks with Kirill. Via Russo at The Athletic:

Primer on timing and weirdness posted:

After playing six years in the KHL and leading the league in goals his last two years, Kaprizov signed a two-year entry-level contract with the Wild last summer at the age of 23. The first year of the contract was burned despite not being allowed to partake in the playoff bubble, and the delay in his NHL arrival means the Wild only own his rights for three more years, until the end of the 2023-24 season.

So signing Kaprizov to a three-year deal and walking him right into unrestricted free agency could be a recipe for an eventual departure. Similarly, signing him to a two-year bridge deal like Artemi Panarin signed once upon a time with the Chicago Blackhawks could be dangerous because it would take Kaprizov within a year of the intrigue that comes with being able to choose what team he’d like to play for.

So, how much will it cost? First things first, did you know times are tough for the owners? It's mentioned in 5 separate grafs! I'm reminded of a quote from an MLB agent a year ago during their own negotiations-paraphrased: If you can't afford your nice big house on the corner, you sell. It's not the gardener's responsibility to take a paycut to keep you there. Obviously, hockey's cap makes the situation a bit different... but that's going to be a cost borne by hockey's vets and middle class, not the elite players (which the Wild hope Kirill will prove himself to be). The wrench is that teams are looking to backload money to where escrow drops-which happens to also align with when his team control expires.

Comps, per Russo and Cap Friendly posted:

Tarasenko’s eight-year, $60 million contract with St. Louis; Keller’s eight-year, $57.2 million contract with Arizona; Thomas Vanek’s seven-year, $50 million offer sheet from Edmonton (matched by Buffalo); Kyle Connor’s seven-year, $50 million contract with Winnipeg; and Taylor Hall’s seven-year, $42 million with Edmonton.

Execs in the piece suggest something like $70ish over 8 years or low $50s over 6. What say you, SAS? I'll toss out a guess of $75/8.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Is there a reason that of today’s 5 games, two of them are starting at 5:00/5:30?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zaroff posted:

Is there a reason that of today’s 5 games, two of them are starting at 5:00/5:30?

NBCSN is doing a triple-header so they have to start early (Ducks/Wild, Sabres/Pens, Kings/Sharks). They've had a few of these this year, ostensibly to help get through the schedule quickly and probably as a mechanism to get make-up games in for teams that had to suspend the schedule due to positive tests.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every time you see refs mic'ed up it's that same kind of thing, I'm not sure why they care this time.

I guess maybe because Twitter gets more play than the various team travelog shows.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

Execs in the piece suggest something like $70ish over 8 years or low $50s over 6. What say you, SAS? I'll toss out a guess of $75/8.

If I were Kaprizov I'd just sign for two to three years and punt this down the line until the pandemic is (hopefully) over and the cap is rising again. It's the worst possible year to be considering a long term extension.

If he were to sign today, I expect he'd want $10m+ and I don't think Minnesota are ready for a commitment like that after one shortened season. He's the rare player that could probably get the same amount back in the KHL, and has that incredibly powerful bargaining chip during negotiations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Thankfully for the Wild, Parise and Suter's contracts are about to back dive hard, so I'm sure that in an offseason or two they will develop Lyme disease or Superbadspinpohurtsalot

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1374581970580164611

Empower the refs to do this more imo

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Thankfully for the Wild, Parise and Suter's contracts are about to back dive hard, so I'm sure that in an offseason or two they will develop Lyme disease or Superbadspinpohurtsalot

The Ottawa Senators have announced the acquisition of Ryan Suter and Zack Parise for a 3rd Round pick and Thomas Chabot.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1374716621978238977

HOLY poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hoooooooooly poo poo :stare:

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Cool

Now do Francois St.Laurent

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That rules but it also doesn’t fix the actual problem so it does not, in fact, rule.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah this is absolutely making a convenient scapegoat out of Peel (not that he didn't deserve it), but makeup calls are still 1,000% going to be A Thing

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol @ the NHL and fans clutching at their pearls over this. literally every referee/ump/official/whatever in every sport and at every level does exactly the same thing either consciously or subconsiously.

but yeah, lets make an example of that guy

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I'm cool with Tim Peel Tim Peel'ing himself. There's some kind of majesty in that. Of course the NHL will continue to ref an 'even' game, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's not so much that refs are making poo poo up, it's that technically penalties (hooking and cross checking most notably, there's also a lot of uncalled interference, and Too Much Mans is frequently overlooked if it's not egregious) are routinely committed by both teams every few seconds all game long, and the refs mostly ignore it. Their mandate from the league office is to Call An Even Game and they arbitrarily call penalties to do that, plus whenever some particular player or coach irritates them.

Like I don't sweat The Worst Penalty or obvious tripping penalties at all, because later in the game hooking will be called on the other team to even it up if necessary. Pretty much always.