Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked the part of the nightmare where Batman was a cake and Superman cut him up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I liked the part of the nightmare where Batman was a cake and Superman cut him up

And the technique he used? That's right folks. The Snyder Cut. Those cake pieces were extremely garish, I can tell you that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

McCloud posted:

I'm still not sure what "Shot like a music video" means, or why he's a psychopath for doing that.

It's the Snyder equivalent of arguing that the Star Wars prequels look like video games.

No one will give you anything beyond vague feelings.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

Gotham rent is probably pretty dependent on how recently your building was turned back from being a giant clock or how close you are to the giant bronze torsos.

More of a question about the comics but in the DCU do they have like super villain insurance? I like how in Marvel Hulk Insurance is its own separate type of insurance you add on when you purchase home/disaster/whatever insurance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Roth posted:

It's the Snyder equivalent of arguing that the Star Wars prequels look like video games.

Its the other way around, videogames look like the star wars prequels! (Final Fantasy XII)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the other way around, videogames look like the star wars prequels! (Final Fantasy XII)

I think the 1999 (?) version of The Haunting and Whedon's Justice League are the only time I ever though "these effects look like a video game." for Josstice League it was for Steppenwolf in particular, not just how the character looked but like, the line trail when he'd swing his axe and stuff, looked awful to me.

I still can't believe was like, a character, and they cut all of that down to him just looking up to the sky an saying Darkseid randomly lmao

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
"Looks like a video game cutscene" should be considered a compliment because good video game cut scenes fuckin rock.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

AccountSupervisor posted:

"Looks like a video game cutscene" should be considered a compliment because good video game cut scenes fuckin rock.

Also, they're art

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neo Rasa posted:

I think the 1999 (?) version of The Haunting and Whedon's Justice League are the only time I ever though "these effects look like a video game." for Josstice League it was for Steppenwolf in particular, not just how the character looked but like, the line trail when he'd swing his axe and stuff, looked awful to me.

I still can't believe was like, a character, and they cut all of that down to him just looking up to the sky an saying Darkseid randomly lmao

I could see describing Transformers that way. The camera is just all over the place and everything is just so much CG with so many polygons. I think Transformers looks like rear end though.

Pacific Rim also had so much CG I could see calling it videogame-y, although the first tried to keep the camera more realistic to avoid the issue somewhat. (the sequel not so much)

But at the same time, I'm honestly dying for some movies to look more like games. I'm tired of shakey-came up close fast cutting action, I want more fighting scenes where the camera is pulled WAY back and you can see the whole room and get a feel for the space like in a videogame more than most movies. Its more work, but it would be really satisfying. Great action movies already kinda do this.

The other thing is I just want more insane DBZ level anime fighting in action movies. And that's kinda "videogamey" too but IMO its cool, in a good way. Like the fight with the Amazons jumping off horses and stuff; that's loving cool poo poo.

I also want to see more first person movies, but Hardcore Henry's focus issues shows why its so hard to do right. (maybe not an action movie lol)

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Roth posted:

If you use too much green screen, you get gross chroma green light bouncing into the actors that doesn't match the lighting of the CGI set you're comping in, so everything looks kinda weird and vaguely artificial. Bounced light is something people perceive but don't understand, so they have a hard time articulating what feels wrong and might use imprecise language. :science:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

One man's garish is another man's garnish.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Our intrepid critic has explained that "shot like a music video" means "too much slow motion" and "overly dramatic" (!?!??!?). And Snyder is a psychopath because "everyone agrees that he doesn't care about normal people only heroes" (which was the topic du jour from RLM yesterday)

Lmao

Slow mo is awesome

Dramatic is good, enough with the name ironic quips

The heroes spend like half the time rescuing people.

The first two are a personal preference and that's fine, but the third one is just straight up just delusional

AccountSupervisor posted:

Blizzards video game cinematics are still loving world class imo

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Having watched it again I've come right back around to loving the final two epilogues. I still hate Lex on a big boat, but the absolutely insane and inconsequential ramblings of Joker and Batman might be the perfect way to end a bombastic four hours of mythological filmmaking. You wouldn't have thought anything could top that until you get the weird reject spaceman coming to talk to Bruce in his lakehouse about the bad mathematics before flying off to his home planet, I guess? We need more movies that dare to do poo poo like this.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Squinty posted:

If you use too much green screen, you get gross chroma green light bouncing into the actors that doesn't match the lighting of the CGI set you're comping in, so everything looks kinda weird and vaguely artificial. Bounced light is something people perceive but don't understand, so they have a hard time articulating what feels wrong and might use imprecise language. :science:

Yeah, greenscreen sets are a big part of why the movie feels artificial, though I wouldn't necessarily blame the greenscreen spill. The cooling tower being "studio-lit" was kind of a problem for us, since the shots were lit to shape the objects in the frame in an aesthetically pleasing way, and weren't overly concerned with justifying where the light was coming from or replicating the real-life light conditions of an environment like that (especially since it didn't exist at the time).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I hold that the slowmo kind of works in this movie because it is not just a style thing- this is how the Flash sees the world. This is how he interacts with the world. So showing Wonder Woman struggling to fight through slow mo time to save someone only highlights how much more impressive it is that the Flash can move effortlessly in it.

But there is another element to it if you wanted to get a bit more pretentious. What is slow mo but the stretching of a single frame of film for maximum visual impact?

What is slow mo, if not the realization of a comic panel brought to life

gregday
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

So I hold that the slowmo kind of works in this movie because it is not just a style thing- this is how the Flash sees the world. This is how he interacts with the world. So showing Wonder Woman struggling to fight through slow mo time to save someone only highlights how much more impressive it is that the Flash can move effortlessly in it.

But there is another element to it if you wanted to get a bit more pretentious. What is slow mo but the stretching of a single frame of film for maximum visual impact?

So the problem is that it happens in lots and lots of other places where it’s not warranted or adds anything, like the football game.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Burkion posted:

The slow mo of the league together assaulting the base is like splash page come to life (compare it to the ludicrously dumb equivalent in AoU)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gregday posted:

So the problem is that it happens in lots and lots of other places where it’s not warranted or adds anything, like the football game.

Its definitely VERY gratuitous, I'll grant that. I don't think anyone would disagree- though God knows some might.

I'm fine with it but it does get silly. That's not a bad thing in my book. But yeah. That's about where it is

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

gregday posted:

I took it as Cyborg reliving the memory of his last triumph (and great dissappointment) before the accident so of course it's a grandiose and epic thing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The slow-mo in the football gives it the sense that this is the most epic thing that's ever happened in Victor's life

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
"There's not enough focus on mortals in this movie about aliens and gods," is a fairly strange and useless criticism IMO. No loving poo poo. That's not what it's about. It's called "Justice League" not "Shift Change at the Car Wash" or something.

Of course I have a strange feeling that if the mortals were the focus of the movie the problem would be that the heroes aren't focused on enough now. There must be something to complain about here! I'll find it.

>Zod roar<

I WILL FIND IT.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A football game is probably one of the most appropriate uses of slow-mo in a movie.

After basically any play of consequence in a game they immediately replay it in slow motion

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Comic book movies are inherently silly, and it's not like the actual shot is bad or out of place. Just something people can hold their nose at like it's some how a crutch.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Music videos are cool imo.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

I will say that Wonder Woman's super dashes in the terrorist scene looked like something from a fighting game, but that's certainly not a problem for me.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

gregday posted:

The football game is a very good example of using slow motion to convey feelings of elation. The character is all but literally floating towards the endzone, while an actual-speed version of the same events would be like five seconds of a dude falling over.

The basic reason we are shown the football game is that’s it’s one of the most important events in this guy’s life. It’s also specifically a memory, so the fact that the character remembers the event this way is characterization - he relates that feeling of elation to his mother’s presence, and blames his father for taking that away from him.

Snyder Cut really shows a variety of different uses for slow motion - from producing tension to introducing beats into an action sequence, or just showing that a thing is happening too quickly to photograph in the usual way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You're thinking of that episode of TNG.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The issue isn't if the thing being compared to something is necessarily bad. Different mediums are ya know different. Staged works often can feel stilted in cinema. Even a pretty well-made film like Doubt has a few moments that can feel like a play.

The reason that is an issue is that it creates an uncanny feeling to the viewer which draws them out of the work. 1917 is a good example of a movie that is really, really impressive, but had video game comparisons. Part of it was the over the shoulder shots, but also because the single take gimmick meant that you had this pretty small map where all the World War I stuff is jammed packed together and happening over the course of an hour to one person. And while I can play Red Red Dead Redemption 2 and ride a horse through every single cowboy cliche in the course of 40 minutes and walkaway feeling like I'm immersed in this living breathing world, I'm interacting with it in a different way than I do a film. The packed map of World War I things breaks the verisimilitude in one medium where it benefits the other, partially because it's reminding you of another medium.

Although when people make video game complaints about Justice League I think it's more speaking to Desaad, Darkseid, and Steppenwolf coming off as pretty generic which is a bit unfair to video games while being a fair complaint. But also there is that one silly shot where Superman is floating over Steppenwolf and it really looks like they're in a fighting game.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The football game is a very good example of using slow motion to convey feelings of elation. The character is all but literally floating towards the endzone, while an actual-speed version of the same events would be like five seconds of a dude falling over.

The basic reason we are shown the football game is that’s it’s one of the most important events in this guy’s life. It’s also specifically memory, so the fact that the character remembers the event this way is characterization - he relates that feeling of elation to his mother’s presence, and blames his father for taking that away from him.

Snyder Cut really shows a variety of different uses for slow motion - from producing tension to introducing beats into an action sequence, or just showing that a thing is happening too quickly to photograph in the usual way.

Using imagery to convey characterization is dumb and dudebro. The better way is to have a dialogue scene where someone asks Victor what's important to him and have a line where Cyborg says, "I love football."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

pospysyl posted:

Using imagery to convey characterization is dumb and dudebro. The better way is to have a dialogue scene where someone asks Victor what's important to him and have a line where Cyborg says, "I love football."

That's a character arc. Victor love football, but later, Victor love computer.

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

Bongo Bill posted:

Everyone else seems to be arguing that the movie isn't actually garish. If the dictionary isn't useful in helping others understand what is meant by calling that, maybe an example would communicate it better.

I provided several.

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

McCloud posted:

I'm still not sure what "Shot like a music video" means, or why he's a psychopath for doing that.

Weirdly, the only people calling Snyder a psychopath are the people defending this movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

pospysyl posted:

Youtube Poop Concept:

Replace all instances of slow motion with a clip of Jakesully in Avatar saying “sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move”.

Caridean posted:

Weirdly, the only people calling Snyder a psychopath are the people defending this movie.

You are very bad at this.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

So I’m watching this by watching one Part a day as if it’s a tv show and it’s quite fun! It is *insane* how much better this is than the Whedon cut. And I say this as someone who only likes some of Snyder’s movies and was only mildly curious about the Snyder cut, so it’s really not just fanboyism.

The culture war by proxy over Snyder is honestly incredibly weird and the only thing that reminds me of it is the reaction to Lucas and the Prequels. Does anyone have any thoughts or explanations about what’s going on here? Why these two filmmakers?

It used to be that the standard line “it’s just a movie haha it doesn’t mean anything” was what we fought against. Now we have this strange over-correction to that where your pop culture consumption choices just ARE your politics. In both cases the underlying similarity is a resistance to just really *looking* at a movie and interpreting it.

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You are very bad at this.

hilarious coming from you

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I could see describing Transformers that way. The camera is just all over the place and everything is just so much CG with so many polygons. I think Transformers looks like rear end though.

Pacific Rim also had so much CG I could see calling it videogame-y, although the first tried to keep the camera more realistic to avoid the issue somewhat. (the sequel not so much)

But at the same time, I'm honestly dying for some movies to look more like games. I'm tired of shakey-came up close fast cutting action, I want more fighting scenes where the camera is pulled WAY back and you can see the whole room and get a feel for the space like in a videogame more than most movies. Its more work, but it would be really satisfying. Great action movies already kinda do this.

The other thing is I just want more insane DBZ level anime fighting in action movies. And that's kinda "videogamey" too but IMO its cool, in a good way. Like the fight with the Amazons jumping off horses and stuff; that's loving cool poo poo.

I also want to see more first person movies, but Hardcore Henry's focus issues shows why its so hard to do right. (maybe not an action movie lol)

Massive same, like I look at some of the GOAT action like Swordsman II: Asia the Invincible when Master Wu is like waving his hand and parts of the entire ground are shifting up to smack people and then he like draws people towards him and crushes their faces in and stuff and it's like, you could do all this wild poo poo that now that CG is a thing. Or like the fight in front of the massive Buddha statue in The Seventh Curse, like, there's so much wild stuff people were coming up with BEFORE big budget 3D games and CG graphics in movies. Now you can literally do crazy anime poo poo and like, I think Justice League is one of the only flicks to try to completely follow through with that that allows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_GB4lE01Gs

1h19m37s for some good earthbending

I liked the verticality of the fight halfway (?) through Justice League a lot for that and how Flash was used in it. Especially the absurdity of them all slowly trudging up the stairs and then each having their "gently caress you do dad I can cross a precipice LIKE THIS" moment because it was a fun way to set up all the ways characters would be falling and fighting throughout that scene.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 24, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

teagone posted:

Music videos are cool imo.

David Lynch put literal music interludes in his new season of Twin Peaks and it was goddamn incredible.

Snyder does it and it hurts someone's feelings.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Caridean posted:

Your use of the word was a non sequitur, and then you followed it up by saying that in Zack Snyder movies the story focuses on the main characters, which is another non sequitur. It's one of those things where people are talking on different wavelengths

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

2house2fly posted:

Your use of the word was a non sequitur, and then you followed it up by saying that in Zack Snyder movies the story focuses on the main characters, which is another non sequitur. It's one of those things where people are talking on different wavelengths

I specifically said what I meant by that, you should go back and read it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kal-El, Noooo!

How does she know his Kryptonian name? I don't recall if that ever became public knowledge