Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't either but

ok that's an admission of guilt right there.

quote:

Leigh Daniel Avidan[2] (born March 14, 1979), also known by his stage name Danny Sexbang, is an American musician, Internet personality, singer-songwriter, comedian and actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

my "not a sexpest" unitard is raising a lot of questions already answered by my unitard

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I regrettably only implied that the posts accusing him were suss.

I have very few long players I can listen to for content and he's on the subscription list. Their conversations are usually pretty funny.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ever Given piloted by one of yall tbh

https://twitter.com/beefskellington/status/1374521422060527621?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lightpole posted:

Only 20k TEUs and in a multi way for 13th largest vessel. Its barely a ULCS.

Aww I was going to say congratulations to the Ever Given for its brand new wikipedia page

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

o7

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

o7

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCVxoWlB2g

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rest in power

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

That's a hell of a way to lose your job.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

One of the comments has a more plausible explanation. The ship was swinging around at the end of it's anchor chain. Given that those circles are like 500m and there is no way in hell that ship could make those turns.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

lightpole posted:

Rotterdam was talking about closing to ships over like 600' for a month till the next full moon high tide and for tugs to come. A ship that size just drifting onto the bank and then getting wedged is a nightmare and probably requires 100k+ hp tugs on each side to pull it off. And tugs can't sail through to get to the other side so moving parts into position and hoping for a good tide...

Wouldn't the emergency-construction of industrial-grade pulleys on the embankment be cheaper than calling in tugs from all over?

Yeah, it probably sounds much more expensive than the already-existing tugs due to the logistics involved, but literally closing the canal for even a month has got to come with an absolutely obscene price-tag and global supply chain disruptions.

Iirc, the Panama canal uses tugs on rails, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The old locks have what they call “mules” on rails.

The new locks just use tugboats like everywhere else in the world.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wouldn't the emergency-construction of industrial-grade pulleys on the embankment be cheaper than calling in tugs from all over?

Yeah, it probably sounds much more expensive than the already-existing tugs due to the logistics involved, but literally closing the canal for even a month has got to come with an absolutely obscene price-tag and global supply chain disruptions.

short answer is that there is going to be no short, easy or cheap solution

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just claim that ship's carrying 500,000 3080s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Call Thiokol and get the mother of all RATO bottles to weld onto the ship.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

Call Thiokol and get the mother of all RATO bottles to weld onto the ship.

Someday I will finally finish Fallout 4.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Someday I will finally finish Fallout 4.

You ain’t missing much.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hyrax Attack! posted:

You ain’t missing much.

Sure you're not talking about 76?

Feels more relevant to 76. Maybe because I started playing that again the other day.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So is the ship more likely to be searched now? Just honestly curious. Heh. No reason...

But seriously those things are so massive IDK how they catch anything illegal at all.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This one. I have no idea what options are on the table for this, I'm usually stuck maneuvering for the transit and don't get to see much so I have no idea what they are facing. I believe the alternate route adds about a month to the Asia-Europe passage and I thought the fees were like $100k/transit or something. Theres a huge amount of money sitting there and theres a limit to how fast that backlog will clear since there's no two way traffic in that section. Add in JIT manufacturing and Europe could run into difficulties pretty quick. Speed is the only thing that matters and they will dump money on this.

More specifically Evergreen will dump money on this. One of the girls in the class below mine works with their senior management and said they are currently making GBS threads themselves.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i wouldn't be surprised if evergreen collapsed because of it

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wasabi the J posted:

So is the ship more likely to be searched now? Just honestly curious. Heh. No reason...

But seriously those things are so massive IDK how they catch anything illegal at all.

If you're talking about moving random poo poo in a container, security on those is pretty bad and the ability to properly track and check them is almost non-existent. If you're talking about just moving random poo poo hidden in a hold or stashed in some random webbing, probably going to want to be able to carry it by yourself but it's easily possible. CBP comes on every now and then and searches the house but they don't really do much outside of that. You just walk off after they clear you and noone bothers you.

Whoever was on the helm as well as the top four at minimum would have pissed in a cup before the tugs got there probably. They will use the drug test most likely and probably not bother searching but it's Egypt so if they run out of Marlborough Reds and don't put money in the right hands they will just hold the ship.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If Clancy is still writing 2021, that thing will blow up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah, if you wanted to collapse egypt it's probably a good start

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Revenge of the Sea People

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Sure you're not talking about 76?

Feels more relevant to 76. Maybe because I started playing that again the other day.

I haven’t played 76. Got 4 at launch, should have waited a year for the patches. Not much fun when questlines end abruptly when key NPCs glitch out.

bulletsponge13 posted:

If Clancy is still writing 2021, that thing will blow up.

In Harry Turtledove’s Hot War series the Soviets set off nukes in the Panama and Suez Canals to wreck western logistics. One of the only interesting ideas in that slog of a trilogy.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

lightpole posted:

This one. I have no idea what options are on the table for this, I'm usually stuck maneuvering for the transit and don't get to see much so I have no idea what they are facing. I believe the alternate route adds about a month to the Asia-Europe passage and I thought the fees were like $100k/transit or something. Theres a huge amount of money sitting there and theres a limit to how fast that backlog will clear since there's no two way traffic in that section. Add in JIT manufacturing and Europe could run into difficulties pretty quick. Speed is the only thing that matters and they will dump money on this.

More specifically Evergreen will dump money on this. One of the girls in the class below mine works with their senior management and said they are currently making GBS threads themselves.

I know bugger all about tugboats but you get a half education in the UK when you're a kid about the tugs that move stuff near our harbours, and the really really big ones that shuft oil platforms about. I'm guessing if they need some of the big ones they aren't going to turn up in 5 minutes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Reuters says the ship "suffered a blackout" which, uh. But that's attributed to GAC, who may not have firsthand involvement.

Edit: Bloomberg says that Evergreen claims it was "suspected sudden strong winds."

Midjack fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 24, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

a blackout plus unexpected strong winds in that canal is pretty much worst case

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'll admit my first thought was "gosh did it pick up ransomware at its last port of call?"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kesper North posted:

I'll admit my first thought was "gosh did it pick up ransomware at its last port of call?"

I was expecting a case of Hazelwooditis myself.

Which is unfair to Hazelwood himself because he wasn't drunk or on duty when the Valdez ran aground but that's what everyone remembers him for anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 24, 2021

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

lightpole posted:

If you're talking about moving random poo poo in a container, security on those is pretty bad and the ability to properly track and check them is almost non-existent. If you're talking about just moving random poo poo hidden in a hold or stashed in some random webbing, probably going to want to be able to carry it by yourself but it's easily possible. CBP comes on every now and then and searches the house but they don't really do much outside of that. You just walk off after they clear you and noone bothers you.

Whoever was on the helm as well as the top four at minimum would have pissed in a cup before the tugs got there probably. They will use the drug test most likely and probably not bother searching but it's Egypt so if they run out of Marlborough Reds and don't put money in the right hands they will just hold the ship.

It's no coincidence Antwerp, with Europe's second port, is also Europe's cocaine capital.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ZainaErhaim/status/1374667602308567042?s=20

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Fragrag posted:

It's no coincidence Antwerp, with Europe's second port, is also Europe's cocaine capital.

smoke weed everyday

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The ship would lose its ability to maintain its heading and seek to flatten against the wind as it slowed, thus getting screwed canally.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Blackout in this context means losing electrical power?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

Don’t sell it short, it could also apply to the crew :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

US Berder Patrol posted:

Yes and by extension steering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Dogs: good

https://twitter.com/KateBennett_DC/status/1374676204758962176?s=19

People: meh

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1374719376155349007?s=19