Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jedit posted:

It's a well known strat. You have to be careful though - as you may have noticed, the room that boosts Learning also abuses Strength all the way down to 1. You need to leave all your gear in Griffyard or you will be crushed to death by even a small amount of weight. The best way to get around it is to do the stair abuse right before you clear the Ogre Cave and with a few stomacemptia so you can eat every corpse that drops.

yeah well i was a wizard with strength of atlas so it worked very easily.

unfortunately i was trying to precrown and didn't notice my alignment was N=, so i crowned instead. i guess this means i can't do any of the special endings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm making a roguelike.

What do you guys hate about the genre, and what do you like? Please assume Turn-Based only.

I hate: A bad early game, games with abortion runs where if you don't fall into a groove within the first little bit than you will never win. "Oh playing a necromancer is viable so long as you find a shovel, don't worry they have a 12% spawnrate at the unlockable bog of-" gently caress thaaaat just give me the shovel if its a necessity for defining my loving playstyle.

I like: Really intricate character generation, it helps to mitigate a bad early game if you can come at the first dungeon having already made some meaningful choices.

I hate: Hysterical balancing. Fun is fun, if something is fun because its 'imbalanced' whatever the gently caress that subjective rear end poo poo means to you than so be it. In a singleplayer roguelike nobody loses out just because one strategy works better... the balancing factor is boredom. And people are more likely to explore the other options of the same game if they know it CAN BE fun rather than if the devs decided to take away their toys.

I like: Shenanigans. Organic Mechanics... What makes Elona a great game isn't the deliberate moves, its the willingness to stand by the sloppy intersections of its mechanics that means you can revert a pile of wedding rings into meat and than eat them all for massive charisma or huck bottles of vodka at a dragon till its too wasted to fight. If you constantly seal up edge cases and blandify out the consequences of mechanical choices like being able to apply potion effects by throwing... why even do that in the first place?

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

fart simpson posted:

unfortunately i was trying to precrown and didn't notice my alignment was N=, so i crowned instead. i guess this means i can't do any of the special endings?

yeah you need to be able to convert to chaotic to do demented ratling and get gaab'baay's quests so yer hosed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fart simpson posted:

You can still do OCG, but that's the only special ending that can be done by a fallen champion.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jedit posted:

You can still do OCG, but that's the only special ending that can be done by a fallen champion.

hmm maybe i'll try that? i did a normal close the gate ending last time.

by the way, 99 willpower with a wizard seems even more hilariously broken than my previous mega archer. the biggest problem is figuring out if its safe to magic missile or not because that thing bounces around forever, and i have very nearly killed myself several times. but the game is basically broken. i dove down to the bottom of crumbling cave (danger level 47 or something) and trivially cleared out a dragon vault at level 21 even

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you're looking for something interesting to do with a broken game, maybe try to do an Archmage run?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm making a roguelike.

What do you guys hate about the genre, and what do you like? Please assume Turn-Based only.

Like: being able to theory craft builds. In particular, I really like choices between short and long term strategy. I.e. multiple choices between "this makes you a little bit stronger right now" and "this is useless/bad now but can be extremely strong later if X and Y" are often quite meaningful.

Boring: theory crafted build that is strong early, mid and late. Games where if something isn't strong enough level 10 it'll never be strong enough level 30.
Fun: theory crafted build that is barely strong enough early, has a very strong midgame, but might struggle again late game (or might not, you'll have to try to know for sure).

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 22, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm making a roguelike.

Roguelikes good points are things that only can be done thanks to the sparse presentations. IMO, they can be distilled into two categories:

a) Deep / simulationist / 'realistic' / interactive systems.
b) Great variety of classes / enemies / ways to play.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Because you guys were talking about tangledeep, I decided to check it out and found out that I already bought it without remembering.

The only classic roguelike I have played for years is tome, and I really really miss the auto-explore button.
To me this sort of quality of life features are what makes a good roguelike.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Thankfully Tangledeep (and dungeonmans) maps are small enough that not having auto explore isn’t the worst thing but yeah TOME has mega spoiled me.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

An auto explore in Tangledeep would just be saving you from moving a handful of squares really. Even the biggest maps are still fairly small and mob dense.

I've been playing with the Mystery Dungeons in Tangledeep and I love the idea but they go on too long for me. The 10 level intro dungeon felt about right, but the proper dungeons are all 15+ floors and 15 already feels a bit too long much less the longer ones. Maybe I'm exploring too thoroughly but then again I find the ending boss fights for the MDs to be extremely hard even with excessive levels, jps, and items.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there a roguelite anywhere where you can play as a zombie or some type of undead and it actually have some impact beyond just like, letting you eat corpses or something useless?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Streets of rogue

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yeah Vampire is fun and has a pretty unique playstyle, and Zombie's just "gently caress it everyone is either a Zombie or dead" once you get the ball rolling

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Thanks everyone, this is all very useful data. I'm not sure how much "for you" the game I'm interested in making will be, haha. It's going to have a theme/world based on "sports entertainment" shows like Pro Wrestling, American Gladiators, Takeshi's Castle, Smash TV, etc.
Also don't expect it anytime soon, because I'm just starting production now, teaching myself coding and building stuff in unity. I have another programmer who is helping me learn on top of many, many online tutorials and classes. It's going well!

It's going to be...an unconventional game, especially if I can do what I want. It'll be on the "easier" side, but still difficult enough. Anyway, thanks for the data, keep it coming, etc.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is there a roguelite anywhere where you can play as a zombie or some type of undead and it actually have some impact beyond just like, letting you eat corpses or something useless?

There's a non-roguelite released on Steam called "Stubbs the Zombie" where everyone you kill comes back as a zombie and immediately starts swarming enemies. You can also mind control, stun, toss gut grenades at, and use your head as a bowling ball nuke your enemies.

There's not too much enemy variety, all of the enemies are police officers, scientists, militia members and the military.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Golden Krone Hotel has you play a vampire and has a lot of interesting mechanics around it. One of the classes is a bit more zombie-ish as I recall.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Yeah! Rogue survivor rules. http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/p/about.html

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Streets of rogue

To which I made a thread to!, although pretty late after the release of the game, so it didn't have lots of success.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone have some generalist tips for Chrono Ark?
Particularly about the enemy action system, I'm really not sure how it works because sometimes it looks like a single enemy acts twice in a row for no discerning reason for example.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Related to the 'interesting maps' brought up earlier, I am getting a new PC soon, and was looking to get back into developing, and I was wondering: What are the games with the most interesting procedural map generation?
I'm not talking just visually, but functionally interesting as well.
I've made procedural generators in the past, but this time I want to go a step beyond boxy dungeons or cellular automata cave system

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jack Trades posted:

Particularly about the enemy action system, I'm really not sure how it works because sometimes it looks like a single enemy acts twice in a row for no discerning reason for example.

Cards that use swiftness don't tick the enemy's countdown lower. The horses have rampage which allows them to attack twice and not nesscearily the same target each time.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Related to the 'interesting maps' brought up earlier, I am getting a new PC soon, and was looking to get back into developing, and I was wondering: What are the games with the most interesting procedural map generation?
I'm not talking just visually, but functionally interesting as well.
I've made procedural generators in the past, but this time I want to go a step beyond boxy dungeons or cellular automata cave system

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/how-unexplored-generates-great-roguelike-dungeons

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Beat me to suggesting this one. But it is worth mentioning twice.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cheers! I'll have a look at it during my break.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Jack Trades posted:

The number next to an enemy's healthbar is how many non-swift actions you can take before they act. The number will be visibly overlapping another thingy if the enemy gets multiple actions in a turn.

Tips:
Buy keys and any Identification Scrolls from the stores. Don't be afraid to combine/reroll equipment at forges.
Choose what to spend your purple things on based on what you need: If you're always running out of mana, get more mana. If you're ending a decent amount of turns with mana left over, get some Lucy cards. Otherwise level up characters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's also a "wait" button you can press if you want to advance enemy actions for whatever reason. Although it has limited usages per turn. This is pretty important for Lian since she wants to parry things, but it's also just helpful to be able to heal up between enemy actions.

I've been playing a lot of Chrono Ark but sometimes I think I get too conservative with my builds, like I decide that this one set of skills are the good ones and ignore everything else. Recently I've been messing around with turning my healers into damage dealers though and it's so fun. Pressel just murders everything if you build her for it.

Oh yeah and as a generalist tip, I find offense the be way better than defense since a dead enemy can't hurt you. You need some healing so you don't immediately die , but generally if you find yourself healing a lot you're just slowly losing. Mostly this is in the context of the "auto-remove basic skills" removing all your attacks first when honestly you want the opposite.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 24, 2021

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Fight everything until you hit the last 2 floors then avoid everything.

It's been years since I played.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If you can't easily clear the last two floors you won't beat the bosses either imo.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Clarste posted:

If you can't easily clear the last two floors you won't beat the bosses either imo.

Hmm, I ran into situations where I wasted a lot of resources fighting guys that if I hadn't would let me beat the boss. Last two floors might be a stretch though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Just now Northernlion had an interview with Edmund Mcmillan about upcoming Binding of Isaac content, game dev, what it's like to develop a game continually for a full decade, etc:
https://twitch.tv/videos/961656490
Great combination of interviewer/interviewee personality types. A lot of really good, insightful stuff in here, including both talking about becoming a dad and Ed's childhood and such

e: this is the question that leads into a lot of the interesting stuff imo

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 25, 2021

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Second link has no timestamp.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Looking forward to the Monster Train DLC in a few hours. Thinking about it made me wonder why they didn't call it Demon Train or Hell Train.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Trials of Fire making the big v1.0 leap come April 9.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this stairhopping trick is cool and fun now that ive macroed it. not a bad way to start as a level 1 mist elf necromancer (started with a potion of exchange in my backpack):

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey that BoI interview is a pro click. Listened to about half of it, and I was literally fistpumping when he talked about catering to all varieties of playstyle. Some unnamed RL developers have a real bad habit of falsely believing that the top 1% of players matter exclusively over everyone else because hey, that’s where the streaming and publicity comes from.

I’ve not played BoI, and at this point there’s a shitload of associated releases. Are they all like expansions? If you get the latest thing, are you getting the whole experience, more or less or what?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BurningBeard posted:

I’ve not played BoI, and at this point there’s a shitload of associated releases. Are they all like expansions? If you get the latest thing, are you getting the whole experience, more or less or what?
"Binding of Isaac: Rebirth" is the most recent game(a much improved remake of the original flash game), with "Afterbirth", "Afterbirth+"(which is free) and the upcoming "Repentance" being DLC.

There's a bundle called "Afterbirth+ Bundle" which is everything currently out, and also apparently a "The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Complete Bundle" which includes a pre-purchase of the upcoming final DLC.

It's not my favorite RL but it's definitely a good game and extremely influential on other 'modern' RLs, so I consider it worth a buy.
It does frequently go on fairly big sales, though, so it might be worth to wait for one of those.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

fart simpson posted:

this stairhopping trick is cool and fun now that ive macroed it. not a bad way to start as a level 1 mist elf necromancer (started with a potion of exchange in my backpack):

That's a fun start. I'm really happy there's still a few fun and easy game-exploits like that in the game. Just ride the super-toughness til bordertown and enough exchange potions to nail 99 Mana and Learning.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

andrew smash posted:

Streets of rogue

Yeah, this. I loved the custom character I made that spread undeath with a touch and watching the brawls I'd start slowly escalate into an out-of-control zombie massacre, later luring the indoors citizens into the streets by polluting their air with poison gas and cigarette smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

thanks for the recommendation on the zombie games, streets of rogue is kind of the ideal zombie gameplay but i feel like i've played it to death. i played stubbs the zombie when i was a kid, and while it was super fun its unfortunately linear and pretty short. I wish it had a free roam mode like Destroy All Humans.

i've been giving rogue survivor a go but the interface is kinda tricky and hard to navigate. i wish something like Project Zomboid had a zombie mode, where you have to survive as a sentient zombie and avoid human zombie hunters and such. I just like stuff where there's a kind of 'play as the enemy' or 'play as a monster' mode, but it seems like that type of stuff is in short supply.

I tried out Iratus, but as much as I love the voice stylings of Stefan Weyte they gave him like 3 total lines to read, and the art style is extremely hideous.