Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Lockback posted:

So those are 8+ year old CPUs in there dude. Difference in speeds is not much though the 3000 does have a better dGPU. But, yeah that stuff is old and slow. The m5-6Y57 is newer, but slower. It's thing is a better battery life. I wouldn't want to run VMs on these, much less VMs are viewing 2D CAD drawings. And trying to run your business in office and remotely on these? I would not envy you.
K, that's the kind of feedback I'm after

I honestly don't need to do any CAD work any time soon. I have vendors I can lean on for that, and like you say do it on a different computer. Or I could literally chicken scratch it on a piece of paper and send it to the city to pull permits. That's what a ton of contractors do (the ones who actually pull permits, anyway)

If it won't run a VM, that sucks. But I can also just not let vendors / contractors remote into machines through my laptop (I can sell the customer the hardware for it instead)

Lockback posted:

Which brings up a good question, how is the battery life on these Laptops from Obama's first term? I'd assume they'll be questionable.

Yeah, that's something I'm concerned about. Something I'll be asking about when I email for more information / a quote request

Lockback posted:

I think a better solution would be a cheap home base machine and portable tablets/all-in-1s that will just break more often and just pull what data you need from your home office.

Yeah, that might be what I have to do. I could always use my current Dell laptop as my home office computer as well as a stopgap. Would have the added benefit of keeping me from loving around on it and gaming

So, I guess my question now is: if all I'm going to be using it for is emails, filling out paperwork/forms, using Quickbooks Online, downloading/reading PDFs, and updating Quote templates, Excel spreadsheets, etc. over OneDrive, how miserable am I going to be running Windows 10 on one of these?

I'm pretty "analog" when it comes to organization / notes / appointment keeping, and ultimately most of my business is done in person, over the phone or email, and I really don't need much from a computer. The reason I asked about remote monitors is that just makes it easier to use a computer when I'm sitting at a desk

If it's like, actually a bad idea to get something like this, then I won't do it. But right now I'd rather buy something older and durable and not have to think about it again for a year (provided it works) than spend the same money on something newer that I'll probably destroy. Since I'm in "start up" mode, I'd like to just check the box as cheap/easy as possible and move onto the next thing

But if it's going to actually interfere with my ability to do basic computer poo poo, I'll just have to come to terms with the fact I need to look at newer, more expensive (or more off-brand) solutions

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I mean, it'll run email and word forms and whatever fine. Won't be fast but it'll be fine. That's different than Running VMs/CAD/etc. So it depends on what you want to do. You said you wanted 2 years before its obsolete but I'd generally call these on the other side of obsolete, but what you linked to is approaching E-waste.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Lockback posted:

I mean, it'll run email and word forms and whatever fine. Won't be fast but it'll be fine. That's different than Running VMs/CAD/etc. So it depends on what you want to do. You said you wanted 2 years before its obsolete but I'd generally call these on the other side of obsolete, but what you linked to is approaching E-waste.

Got it. Again, that's the kind of feedback I'm after, I appreciate it

And yeah, I guess to me, "obsolete" is when it stops working or I'm not allowed to use it anymore (my current work truck came from the factory without airbags, as an example)

I did some more digging and there's a larger, non-big-tablet-mode-having CF-31 that vendor has listed available with an i5 5300U 2.30GHz

I guess in later generations of the CF-31, they went all the way up to i5 7300U and i7 7600U

Are those going to be potentially less dogshit? How's a 3rd vs 5th vs 7th gen i5 compared to 7th gen i7, in terms of being close to eWaste?

I understand that a ton of the other hardware is 1st-term Obama era, I'm just trying to narrow my focus a little bit more before I call the vendor again tomorrow to determine what they've got that will work for situation and if it's at a price point I can stomach vs seriously considering disposable, off-brand, etc. options

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
i5 5300 is gunna be much faster, I'd definitely feel way better with one of those. Those are getting closer to where the other poster was saying the needle hasn't moved much in the last 5 or 6 years. 7000 would be better but difference there isn't as big.

How much are those running?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

The 5300 unit is ~$1000 base price. I'd have to call about pricing & availability on the 7000s

It's a "MK5" and it looks like the current 7000 series models are "MK6" (and really expensive based on my cursory googling but I can't seem to find refurb price immediately)

Ofc I'd prob want a battery and the SSD, and I'll need to dig a little deeper into other minutiae when I get them on the phone, as well as evaluate what I think about the increased size and weight (holy cow it's almost twice as heavy). But hey the screen's 13" instead of 10" (still 1024x768 tho lol)

It also has 3 monitor support, as well as 1 x HDMI in addition to 1 x VGA, so I'm less worried about that if I decide to do the workshop dock

But like I was saying before, I don't need to do the other upgrades right away which is nice, so I could actually prioritize those based on my experiences using it, theoretically

Thanks again for all your help narrowing my focus on this

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m sure a laptop (and $1k isn’t exactly megabucks in business terms) is the best solution but this does make me wonder if maybe a used iPad or iPad Pro and pencil plus an 8th gen intel workstation that you access through RDP (tethered through your phone or whatever) would serve you better. Add a rugged case and you’d possibly end up with a better experience than these laptops.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Oh yeah, there's absolutely better solutions. I've just got limited funds until June, and I'm in a new state/county/city sorting out, well, everything. So I'm trying to stick to simple solutions involving stuff I'm familiar enough with, and like I said before I want to get it done enough to move on for a while before circling back to it

Part of it too is I'm a dumbass and a low key Luddite. I use a paper planner for my calendar. And I haven't really been thinking about business solutions involving my phone because when my iPhone gets paid off next month I'm planning to get rid of it and switch to a dumb phone, and adding a second dumb phone line for work

Too many "open" items that need closed right now for me to really think about complicating my situation more than I need to, hence the theme of "which one of these cheap tablet PCs can I get away with?"

I do really appreciate the help I've gotten from yall so far. I'm pretty optimistic I'll be able to cross this off the list this week

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So I'm getting a little chunk of money from a funding program at my university and is the consensus still that the xps15 is the best mix of performance/not being gigantic with a decent trackpad? X1 carbons seem overpriced for what you're getting, macbook airs have me intrigued but I would like to open the odd solidworks file. Just looking for any options I haven't considered.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I asked in here about the feasibility of repairing my laptop screen because mine had a big ol splotch in it.

I put it off because the splotch wasn’t that bad, certainly wasn’t as bad as I thought it was right away... but now after a few weeks of putting up with it it’s gone entirely. What the hell? Screen is perfectly fine now. I’ve never had the crystals fully go back into alignment on an LCD screen before, just a reduction in damaged area.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I asked in here about the feasibility of repairing my laptop screen because mine had a big ol splotch in it.

I put it off because the splotch wasn’t that bad, certainly wasn’t as bad as I thought it was right away... but now after a few weeks of putting up with it it’s gone entirely. What the hell? Screen is perfectly fine now. I’ve never had the crystals fully go back into alignment on an LCD screen before, just a reduction in damaged area.

What laptop? Its usually pretty easy though I'd recommend buying some small head screw drivers if you don't own some already. Most of the time you can get replacement LCDs for under $100.

Touchscreen is a lot harder.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lockback posted:

What laptop? Its usually pretty easy though I'd recommend buying some small head screw drivers if you don't own some already. Most of the time you can get replacement LCDs for under $100.

Touchscreen is a lot harder.

"Screen is perfectly fine now"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"Screen is perfectly fine now"

Oh poo poo I read "It's gone entirely now" and thought the screen was black and no other marks on it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

15" LG Gram with 8GB, an i5 and 256GB SSD for $700 shipped with code - I don't necessarily need it, but I'm having a hard time resisting the want!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Looking for a laptop between $500 and like $900 to buy an elderly UK relative who needs it for basic stuff including webcam. Any obvious options?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Matebook X Pro for £799! I think I won't be able to resist. I live abroad, but have had my eye on this for a while and it's usually so damned expensive. Still is (for me) because of my local currency being worth less than half of GBP. But the bezels, man, the bezels. https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...210476-pdt.html

henpod fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 26, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I went to Costco looking for that MSI with the 3060, but they only had the gtx 1650 ti version of that model, but I found this laptop for $1199 and it’s priced at $1350 basically everywhere else online. https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000C-0...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds
MSI GE75 Raider
(Intel i7-10750H 6-Core, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080), NVIDIA RTX 2060)

Which seems like just as good of a deal, if not better than the one with the 3060 posted on the last page, but I don’t know anything about computer parts really. But I was tempted to get it today, might go back tomorrow to get it though..

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Imhotep posted:

I went to Costco looking for that MSI with the 3060, but they only had the gtx 1650 ti version of that model, but I found this laptop for $1199 and it’s priced at $1350 basically everywhere else online. https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000C-0...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds
MSI GE75 Raider
(Intel i7-10750H 6-Core, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080), NVIDIA RTX 2060)

Which seems like just as good of a deal, if not better than the one with the 3060 posted on the last page, but I don’t know anything about computer parts really. But I was tempted to get it today, might go back tomorrow to get it though..

That's the 2060, you sure it wasn't this?
https://www.costco.com/msi-ge75-raider-gaming-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-10750h---geforce-rtx-2070---1080p.product.100684982.html

That's a pretty good deal for a 2070, though if you plan on mobile gaming the 2070 will suck battery a lot faster than the 2060.

If you really want a 17" that's real good.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

DoesNotCompute posted:

So I'm getting a little chunk of money from a funding program at my university and is the consensus still that the xps15 is the best mix of performance/not being gigantic with a decent trackpad? X1 carbons seem overpriced for what you're getting, macbook airs have me intrigued but I would like to open the odd solidworks file. Just looking for any options I haven't considered.

The XPS 15 is in kind of a weird spot... either you need the GPU in which case you should get something that can adequately cool it, or you don't need the GPU in which case you should get something lighter.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Lockback posted:

That's the 2060, you sure it wasn't this?
https://www.costco.com/msi-ge75-raider-gaming-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-10750h---geforce-rtx-2070---1080p.product.100684982.html

That's a pretty good deal for a 2070, though if you plan on mobile gaming the 2070 will suck battery a lot faster than the 2060.

If you really want a 17" that's real good.

Whoops, you’re right, the one they have at Costco is the 2070, same deal and price online. And yeah, I don’t really care about battery life, and don’t mind a 17”, it’s basically going to live on my desk and I’ll also take it to work occasionally. But I’ve never had a laptop with a good battery life, at least not one that didn’t eventually need to basically be plugged in all the time, but yeah either way it’s not a huge concern.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Imhotep posted:

Whoops, you’re right, the one they have at Costco is the 2070, same deal and price online. And yeah, I don’t really care about battery life, and don’t mind a 17”, it’s basically going to live on my desk and I’ll also take it to work occasionally. But I’ve never had a laptop with a good battery life, at least not one that didn’t eventually need to basically be plugged in all the time, but yeah either way it’s not a huge concern.

My G15 is arriving in a few days but that Raider looked like a great deal considering how easy it is to upgrade. It's definitely chonky though.

horrible accident!
Jan 16, 2005

squashed by obelisk
but it was my own fault
I've been looking around for a small gaming laptop with a decent graphics card and high refresh rate + low input lag. I tried a current gen razer stealth which seemed like everything i wanted, great framerate, runs cool, quiet, feels great in the hand, non-gamery aesthetic, small and portable... but the input lag was awful. Do they make small gaming laptops with <5 ms input lag and 120hz+ refresh? It'd really just be for playing rocket league and other odds and ends gamewise, so the gpu doesnt have to be anything special, the gtx1650 in the stealth seemed sufficient.

I'm also considering larger laptops, and if anyone has any ideas there I'm all ears, but if there were any 13" lappys out there that fit the bill I'm even more ears!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Once again, I am here to try and be convinced to buy a chromebook. (or laptop)

I thought I fixed up my crappy RBS for the last time, but it appears the ssd is dying finally after maybe 5 years of use. Along with the charging cable. I can stomach buying another m.2 drive for the laptop, but not buying a 5th charging cable at the same time.

Here's the thing though. I'm pretty poor and can only spend 500-700 usd on it.

I just don't like chromebooks conceptually because I don't like using cloud programs, and like to imagine going outside to do computing in a post covid world, potentially without wifi.

I type a lot and like to keep electronics for a fairly long time, so I'd sacrifice some stats for build quality.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Toalpaz posted:

Once again, I am here to try and be convinced to buy a chromebook. (or laptop)

I thought I fixed up my crappy RBS for the last time, but it appears the ssd is dying finally after maybe 5 years of use. Along with the charging cable. I can stomach buying another m.2 drive for the laptop, but not buying a 5th charging cable at the same time.

Here's the thing though. I'm pretty poor and can only spend 500-700 usd on it.

I just don't like chromebooks conceptually because I don't like using cloud programs, and like to imagine going outside to do computing in a post covid world, potentially without wifi.

I type a lot and like to keep electronics for a fairly long time, so I'd sacrifice some stats for build quality.

What’s wrong with buying a last-gen thinkpad or something?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Nothing is wrong with that, what's the furthest back you'd go in cpu generations though?

God, I'm looking at the costs between buying a refurb T460 vs repairing my laptop again and it's coming down to this: (cad)

Screws and blue loctite 30~
500 gb ssd 120~
New Charging Cable 100

Repair 250~

vs.

T460 refurb at about 650~ CAD
Which is a downgrade of 6th gen i7 to i5 and 1440 to 1080p.

Really hard for me to justify buying another refurb at a 400 dollar difference even if the screen shell isn't closing I guess.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 28, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Toalpaz posted:

Nothing is wrong with that, what's the furthest back you'd go in cpu generations though?

I wouldn't go older than a T430. Not much has happened with mid range laptop CPUs in the last 7 years

If I were broke and needed to buy a laptop this week, it would be a T460 or X260 probably

If you're buying a new laptop and don't care what GPU is in it, refurbished thinkpad is a good route, that's why it's mentioned in the OP

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
8th gen intel is a good thing to shoot for if you can afford it, the extra cores make a difference.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I currently have a Vostro 7590 with a 9750 CPU and a 1650 GPU.
I want a business/BYOD laptop with a H class CPU and a decent-ish GPU. As far as I can tell Dell doesn't offer anything in this space anymore?
I'm cross-shopping the Lenovo T15G with a 10750 and a 2070 and wondering if there's any other models I should look at.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

God, I'm looking at the costs between buying a refurb T460 vs repairing my laptop again and it's coming down to this: (cad)

Screws and blue loctite 30~
500 gb ssd 120~
New Charging Cable 100

Repair 250~

vs.

T460 refurb at about 650~ CAD
Which is a downgrade of 6th gen i7 to i5 and 1440 to 1080p.

Really hard for me to justify buying another refurb at a 400 dollar difference even if the screen shell isn't closing I guess.

You could get something like this instead. Step down in quality from a thinkpad but brand new and generally higher specs
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6886847/HP-15-ef1073od-Laptop-156-Screen/

~Coxy posted:

I want a business/BYOD laptop with a H class CPU and a decent-ish GPU. As far as I can tell Dell doesn't offer anything in this space anymore?
I'm cross-shopping the Lenovo T15G with a 10750 and a 2070 and wondering if there's any other models I should look at.

I'd probably go with the Lenovo over a Dell anyway, personally. You could look at the HP line, but again I think Lenovo is maybe the better bet there.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm going to begin streaming games from my Nintendo Switch (mostly Splatoon 2). I'm shopping for a laptop whose main function will be enabling said streaming. I'm new to all of this, but I've asked around and gotten a general idea of what I need, and have been looking at this: https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000X-028S7

I figure I'd ask if this is good? Too much machine for what I need? Some other hidden pitfall?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm going to begin streaming games from my Nintendo Switch (mostly Splatoon 2). I'm shopping for a laptop whose main function will be enabling said streaming. I'm new to all of this, but I've asked around and gotten a general idea of what I need, and have been looking at this: https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000X-028S7

I figure I'd ask if this is good? Too much machine for what I need? Some other hidden pitfall?

I'm a bit concerned that they are listing the CPU as both Intel and AMD. Along with some recent bad reviews it makes that particular seller seem a bit less than professional.

I have never used an i5-10300H but I think the specs should at least be ok for just streaming 720p30 if the game is running on the Switch and the laptop is mostly running OBS, especially if the Nvidia GPU can do the encoding. Have you looked into what kind of capture card you will be using?

Also, will you be streaming from a lot of different places, or is there some other reason why you are getting a laptop for a streaming rig instead of some desktop solution?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

AgentCow007 posted:

The XPS 15 is in kind of a weird spot... either you need the GPU in which case you should get something that can adequately cool it, or you don't need the GPU in which case you should get something lighter.

High resolution, high gamut display is a selling point for some. Yes, XPS13 does offer a 4k panel but the gamut coverage isn't nearly as good.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

~Coxy posted:

The Precision lineup about it- 3000 has entry GPUs, 5000 is too skinny to have any ports, and the 7000 is kinda expensive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah, I really wish they would put a 2060 or something in the 3551 or whatever they're up to now.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Got the Asus G15 a few days ago. Will have trip report soon. Initial reactions:

Trackpad is HUGE. It is the same size and relative weight of my surface book 2 but the trackpad is significantly larger. This means confusing left and right click perpetually. It is really annoying but I am sure something I will get used to - or just get a bluetooth mouse.

The speakers are LOUD. I mean REALLY LOUD. There was immediate popping (as I anticipated) so I updated the BIOS and drivers but apparently it was the windows update (new windows realtek drivers) which really fixed it. I knew the things were going to be loud once they were fixed but wow.

Weight is very light considering how powerful it is. It is technically the same weight as my surface book 2, coming in at 4.2 pounds but I swear it feels slightly lighter. Having said that - it definitely gets louder than my surface book 2 but not much hotter weirdly. They both get hot but I think *maybe* the surface book 2 gets hotter under load. This has to do with the surface book 2 power block being natively underpowered at around 100 watts. The surface dock 2 is a 200 watt block which solves that problem however (at 250$ extra charge) and when using the dock neither gets very hot.

Fans kick on randomly some times although I feel like that's just me not knowing which settings to use. The only real problem I have with it so far is keyboard seems to blink / pulse randomly when I am not using it. I mean really randomly, like there is some CPU activity or something - even when I haven't used it for an hour or so and just left the lid open. Will post a video of it when I get a chance. It's really odd. Maya has crashed a couple of times as well... not sure what is causing the incredibly random keyboard light flashing (no pattern) or Maya's instability but for the most part, it lives up to the hype.

Mostly surprised at how nice the screen is. Again - the weight, size and relative heat are on par with my Surface Book 2 but I was mostly surprised by the screen being almost as great also!! The material feels like plastic compared to the surface book 2 but otherwise it is a more powerful laptop in a very similar form factor. Well - if you don't count the 2 n 1 part. The surface book 2's greatest failing is what it markets itself most on... the dual tablet / laptop capability part.

I have two weeks to decide if I want to swap it for a MSI or possibly Gigabyte model but so far I am fairly pleased with it. Was afraid the lack of print screen button would be a problem but there is a keyboard combo / clip screen function which just means 2 buttons vs. 1 button to print screen so it isn't so bad really.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 31, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The keyboard blink in sleep is something you can turn off in armory crate. For some reason Asus thinks people want to see their keyboard flip out when the computer is hibernating by default.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I have laptop buying questions and need laptop answers, if this is the right place.
First, should I buy a new laptop or is there some sort of big jump coming and I should be more patient?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I also have laptop questions, but I’ve confirmed that I do need to get one soon because my old Lenovo Y70 is old and is really breaking down. A laptop works for me because I travel a lot for my job and my partner has dibs at the first crack of her own desktop, so my mind is set on a laptop.

I kinda want a laptop that can play Final Fantasy 14 at near max at 60 FPS or above all times, and also pay modern games at 60 FPS or really close to it at mid to max settings.

My budget is up to $1,500 (maybe a little bit higher if I find one slightly above + tax and warranty), but not exceeding $1,800. All the laptops I am seeing for purchase has 16 GB Ram (some with soldered on ones, other not, I’d like to be able to upgrade Ram in the future), and Ryzen 9/10th Gen Intel CPUs. I think this is fine for what I need?

If i want the laptop to last for another 5-7 years generally playing most games, should I be busting rear end to make sure to get one with a RTX 3060? There are some cheaper ones with the 2060, and some slightly more expensive ones with the 2070; I just want one that will last for awhile and be able to handle most games even with graphic adjustments without being obsolete super quick

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RickRogers posted:

I have laptop buying questions and need laptop answers, if this is the right place.
First, should I buy a new laptop or is there some sort of big jump coming and I should be more patient?

Most of the big jump happened. Usually late summer/fall is a good time to buy laptops with back to school/early holiday deals, and the release cycles usually mean a lot of stuff is ~6 months old then which is when sales start becoming more common. But otherwise (if you can find it) the lineup now is more or less what the lineup will be for another 9 months or so. There is always faster stuff coming.

MechaX posted:

I also have laptop questions

Yes, get a 3060 for your use case if you can. 2060 is still really good but the 3060 is a solid step up. Asus Rog G14/G15 would be the direction I'd point you. Usually there's 1 soldered and 1 open DIMM for RAM, which honestly should hold pretty well.

5-7 years is a long long time for laptops, most laptops made 5-7 years ago (860m or 960m, maybe a 1060 if you cut that down t0 4 years) wouldn't be keeping up super well in modern games. You won't find something that will be a guaranteed but if you want something mobile the 3060 is a good bet.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Lockback posted:

Most of the big jump happened. Usually late summer/fall is a good time to buy laptops with back to school/early holiday deals, and the release cycles usually mean a lot of stuff is ~6 months old then which is when sales start becoming more common. But otherwise (if you can find it) the lineup now is more or less what the lineup will be for another 9 months or so. There is always faster stuff coming.

Thank you!

I am back off to school full time for two years starting August, so I think I will look at what is now available and wait for a good price drop

That being said, money will be no issue as I got lucky and get a good pay whilst I do it, so I don't need to cut corners really.

I now present a list of my needs and demands:

I need /want a fully functioning machine that I can take to class and doodle and type on (so two in one I am guessing), but also take back to my abode and do some gaming on, because I will be away from home over the week, in a fairly boring city and once any assignments are done I will need to relax.
Maybe there are things out there to let me dock it when at home (I guess I am thinking of a Nintendo switch) onto a bigger screen and use it like a desktop but still able to draw on it.

I was directly drawn to the MSurface book 3 as apparently the pen is nice and it has a dedicated graphics card, but I don't get why I would need to disconnect the screen when I would just fold it in half. And some people seem to complain that the design and internals need an update.

I have seen there are some dell options and hp has something called the Spectre, but haven't had the feeling that any are a true jack of all trades that I want.

I dunno, basically I just want to know if there is a clear winner in this category, or is it just pick a machine with the fewest compromises?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RickRogers posted:

I dunno, basically I just want to know if there is a clear winner in this category, or is it just pick a machine with the fewest compromises?

Sadly there isn't. 2-in-1s mean portability which is in contention with gaming, which is a power suck. So you will probably have to make compromises.

I think Surface's are the nicest feeling and have great trim options but the horsepower is low (and at least 1 person on this thread have had bad experiences). Lenovo's are the best value but feel "cheapest" and can be limited on the high end. Dells I generally didn't like but to be fair its been a few years since I really played with them so :shrug: