Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

okay i keep looking at my list of owned ships and noticing my trade courier got itself killed somehow, time to buy a gas miner and strip that thing down and blow it up. :negative:

EDIT: it did it again while i was writing this post :negative:

edit edit: i see it's flying through a fight between an FRH ship and an ARG laser tower.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Outrunning capitals was the thinking behind Split engines, but I'll try out Terran. Maybe some exceptional mods can up that cruise speed once I get to them.

Split plasmas only have a range of 6.9km while Paranid are at 8.9km, and staying at range against stations and capitals is always good. Not sure how much tracking matters for the front facing turrets that I'll be pointing at giant Xenon I's but maybe Argon would be better, they still have a range of 8.6km. I like the sound of L plasmas all around, so Argons at the back at least. The flaks can deal with the fighters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Any way to tell miners attached to a station to mine only specific ores? All my dudes have a hardon for ice.

Not that I know of and it's annoying because stations are useless at keeping themselves balanced.

Only thing I can think to try is to do a manual mine and then transfer command and see if the repeat orders function will make it stick?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The back two turrets on the rattlesnake don't point forwards so well, so putting plasma there will feel a bit superfluous. From personal experience messing with all of these configurations I'd go for the pulse or beams there instead to bolster your anti-fighter capacity.

Also, your M flak turrets will be short-ranged enough that they're not gonna touch much else besides what's actively dive bombing you in particular, so some anti-fighter L turrets also help round out that shortcoming. In large battles it helps to be able to project some anti-fighter firepower out a little further than the immediate bubble around your ship.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This mission in the void about blindfiring mines while finding a scientist sure sucks

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DJ Dizzy posted:

Any way to tell miners attached to a station to mine only specific ores? All my dudes have a hardon for ice.
I was reading somewhere station managers never reassign asteroid type even as your requirements change due to new modules. In which case you can try unassigning and reassigning all miners to see if you get a better split.

Otherwise you're left with micromanaging orders or monotyping your raw material input stations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

RBA Starblade posted:

This mission in the void about blindfiring mines while finding a scientist sure sucks

You can snipe those before you're in the range of them blowing you up or the laser towers activating.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
If I collect all the different skins for the guild missions will they stop coming up as rewards, instead offering something better?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chglcu posted:

You can snipe those before you're in the range of them blowing you up or the laser towers activating.

I don't know if it's random but when I did it it also seemed like if I approached slowly they didn't activate.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

sloppy portmanteau posted:

If I collect all the different skins for the guild missions will they stop coming up as rewards, instead offering something better?

Skins are single use items, so presumably no.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... I need a construction ship now. Can I, like, rent one to get my dock built?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
You sure can. Just rightclick on one you find on the main map and tell it to go to the build and you're all set.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, that's the intended route, when you click the "assign or hire builder" option it should show any idle builders you can see in your sensor coverage, so find one, select your station, and go to hire it and it will cost you a few thousand credits.

They will stay for as long as you have stuff to build so it can be worth slapping down modules you have no intention of building just to keep the builder on station.

E: oh can you also hire them that way? That's probably easier.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Yeah I never seem to find a ship when I use the Assign Builder button, so I just right click instead when I come across one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How do I find the spacesuit dock on a Tern Sentinel? Also, is there any penalty to abandoning the mission once i've secured the ship? It's a transporter, which i'm gonna need to collect the resources with...

EDIT: nevermind i reassigned my engineer on my ship I got here with to be a marine and told the ship to claim the transport

Zereth fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 24, 2021

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Is there any way to sell ships? I found a M terran merchant ship abandoned and I kinda want to sell it more than micro the not 3 star caption

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

They did in fact care about me abandoning the mission once i was in the ship. :sigh: The gas miner does seem more reliable, at least, even if it has trouble finding enough places to sell a full load.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Stevefin posted:

Is there any way to sell ships? I found a M terran merchant ship abandoned and I kinda want to sell it more than micro the not 3 star caption

yeah, get a pilot in it, then click it, right click a shipyard, and theresa sell option.

sometiems you'll make more money telling it to go to shipyard and stripping it to minimum preset, and then selling after.

edit: drat my food station is also making a ton of sales, i just whipped it up to feed my growing station empire but, its constantly packed with npc ships buying

its not a lot, but the sales are constant:

its made 2 mill in the last hour

queeb fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 24, 2021

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Capped a Rattlesnake! I lost about 70 men, but I did it!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

a7m2 posted:

Capped a Rattlesnake! I lost about 70 men, but I did it!

Wow how many marines did you throw at it?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Wow how many marines did you throw at it?

Something like 100. The first try failed but got their numbers down, the second try I barely made it. All newbies, it's probably a lot easier with more experienced marines.
I had to keep the ship pinned down while i got my boarding ships to resupply marines, so it took a long time.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I found a Rattlesnake with only 19 marines on it. As I was whittling it down to get some of them to bail a K came along and one-shot it. :shepface:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Something I really like is that many of the production station modules have a neat animation of their production process. The refined metal production is pretty cool, as are the meat and wheat farms. They often have a related sound effect if you get in real close.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well RIP to that save. I finally started colonising Nopelios' Fortune and set up a Katana to Police the sector.

For some reason a passing TEL fleet took offense to being scanned in space I owned and turned hostile. Lost a station, every defending ship, and a handful of miners and traders :negative:

At least I can start fresh knowing where to find stuff, how to balance my production, and what not to build/buy.

Is there a good way to prevent that happening again in future? Ignore Policing and just set SCA to Hostile?

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Icedude posted:

Well RIP to that save. I finally started colonising Nopelios' Fortune and set up a Katana to Police the sector.

For some reason a passing TEL fleet took offense to being scanned in space I owned and turned hostile. Lost a station, every defending ship, and a handful of miners and traders :negative:

I've no answer for you sadly but I just have to say that the friendly fire systems in X4 are just bad. You shouldn't have to restart a game or save neurotically because the game doesn't understand that you're protecting your assets from pirates or even worse get attacked because some of your shots glanced a station you were... Protecting from attack.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

murphyslaw posted:

I've no answer for you sadly but I just have to say that the friendly fire systems in X4 are just bad. You shouldn't have to restart a game or save neurotically because the game doesn't understand that you're protecting your assets from pirates or even worse get attacked because some of your shots glanced a station you were... Protecting from attack.

I don't even know if it WAS friendly fire. I was docked in my other station in that sector looking at the map when all of a sudden half the blue triangles turned red.

There weren't even any enemies in-sector when it happened so I have no idea what the gently caress happened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're wanting to set up in nopileus I would probably suggest putting your production behind the superhighway in the north subsector, because the way superhighways work is they don't count as a separate sector for jump calculations. "Jumps" are calculated based on big map hexes, so all 3 grand exchanges are the same "sector" for jump purposes. So there is no issue with setting up in the north hex other than it will take a little longer for ships to travel, but it is easier to secure because there is no passing traffic and you can put a defence station right on the gate.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm starting to get to the point where I can build fleets and maybe destroy some stations here and there. What ships are effective in the hands of the AI? I know Rattlesnakes for instance are great in player hands but not so great in AI hands.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The AI is a bit thick and can't really do positioning very well, so generally you want to focus on tankyness and universal weapon coverage so they don't have to angle precisely. Anything that relies on precise positioning and knowing when to engage and disengage will suffer in the AI's hands because they don't think about that so much.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Iirc beam turrets and non-beam weapons work the best.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Ugh I found a juicy Marauder Rattlesnake I want to capture but just cannot get them to decloak or whatever. My hold is full of claytronics and I keep scanning them which usually works but nada.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Woohoo, captured my first capital in Grand Exchange. There was a Teladi Plunderer Behemoth chilling by the gate near my PHQ, so I was not surprised that it turned out to be SCA upon scan ( with 21 crew no less ). I decided to sick my Syn onto it who was chilling in system with 100 bored marines but discovered quickly that it was never going to catch the prey. I teleported from my Gravimetric Owl ( I used to scan the ship ) to my Katana and disabled the engines and the target's one remaining turret and now have I a shiny new ship that can't yet limp to a shipyard for repairs. I had been keeping an eye out for SCA Minotaurs as I've managed to force 3 to bail ( I was going to use those as a cheap capping fleet ), but I'll happily take a capital as well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The SCA really need to think harder about how they register their ship names.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Less Fat Luke posted:

Ugh I found a juicy Marauder Rattlesnake I want to capture but just cannot get them to decloak or whatever. My hold is full of claytronics and I keep scanning them which usually works but nada.

Okay nevermind he wrecked me.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

a7m2 posted:

I'm starting to get to the point where I can build fleets and maybe destroy some stations here and there. What ships are effective in the hands of the AI? I know Rattlesnakes for instance are great in player hands but not so great in AI hands.

Anecdotally, the Odysseus feels very strong in AI hands, at least back in my 3.0 game. Good balance of dps and shielding. Just look at how well the HOP do holding back the Xenon, although that may have more to do with their abundance of natural resources.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah the Odysseus, at least in non VRO is a dope station killer.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
One more vote for the Odysseus here. Grab a half-dozen or more, set their formation to something circular or semi-circular (e.g. Point Guard), and park them next to the farthest-out corner of a station (just to minimize how many station modules are shooting back). The Odysseus out-ranges Xenon station defenses, at least, and you can do this with the map while OOS, which makes destroying stations just a matter of time.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 24, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I think I've reached the point in the game where I know ships are being built at places other than my Wharf.

And that's not ok.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Travic posted:

I think I've reached the point in the game where I know ships are being built at places other than my Wharf.

And that's not ok.

They can't build ships at wharfs that aren't yours...

If you have the only wharf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Sky Shadowing posted:

They can't build ships at wharfs that aren't yours...

If you have the only wharf.

But they'll get mad if you break theirs, and will just build it anyway.

DOSing them won't if you take all the docking space