Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why would that matter?

He went on to play a major role in the sequel as a different character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I like my idea of the Green Knight much better.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Judakel posted:

They're pushing it back to July instead of releasing it in May because they're not confident that by May people will go into theaters, but they're clearly not confident of that by July either. So instead they're hoping that enough people will go into theaters by July and that the rest will pay for the 30 bucks - I think Mulan was 20 and flopped - at home so that they will be able to make the kind of money they expected to make for a Marvel movie. They are in deep poo poo.

I feel like Disney, more than any other media company I can think of, is NOT in deep poo poo. 2020 wasn't a good year for anyone, but they do have nearly 100 million D+ subscribers paying $70-$85 a year. And there's all the merch they're selling of Grogu and Raya and now all this Marvel poo poo, in a year where pretty much none of their competitors are doing or releasing anything. They're probably earning plenty.

And even if they're not, watch as their parks and movies and cruise lines and retail stores earn record profits when people can actually do any of them again. I live in California, and I know someone who literally flew to Florida after completing her second vaccine dose to attend Disney World. (Which is a terrible idea, I agree.) But I wouldn't worry about the massive conglomerate. They're not suffering because their superhero movie might earn less than $1B.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Xealot posted:

I feel like Disney, more than any other media company I can think of, is NOT in deep poo poo. 2020 wasn't a good year for anyone, but they do have nearly 100 million D+ subscribers paying $70-$85 a year. And there's all the merch they're selling of Grogu and Raya and now all this Marvel poo poo, in a year where pretty much none of their competitors are doing or releasing anything. They're probably earning plenty.

And even if they're not, watch as their parks and movies and cruise lines and retail stores earn record profits when people can actually do any of them again. I live in California, and I know someone who literally flew to Florida after completing her second vaccine dose to attend Disney World. (Which is a terrible idea, I agree.) But I wouldn't worry about the massive conglomerate. They're not suffering because their superhero movie might earn less than $1B.

There was some study a few months ago about how Disney likely won't return to its 2019 profits until 2024, largely due to the decline in park and in-person attraction attendance.

Okay, found a general summary of it: https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020/10/07/disneys-earnings-may-not-return-to-last-years-levels-until-2024-analysts-say/

In particular it notes that Disney made 7.5 billion in 2019, but by July of last year its 2020 income was under a billion.

Obviously this doesn't mean that Disney is worse off than its competitors (though with so much of Disney's losses coming from its lack of park attendance, maybe it is at a greater disadvantage?) but even Disney is going to be hurting for a while.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Judakel posted:

They're pushing it back to July instead of releasing it in May because they're not confident that by May people will go into theaters, but they're clearly not confident of that by July either. So instead they're hoping that enough people will go into theaters by July and that the rest will pay for the 30 bucks - I think Mulan was 20 and flopped - at home so that they will be able to make the kind of money they expected to make for a Marvel movie. They are in deep poo poo.

Mulan reportedly cleared $35M+ on its opening weekend streaming. Which, when you factor in they didn't have to split that with theaters, is roughly equivalent to a $55-60M opening which is about average for the live action Disney movies.

^^^^ there was a lot of chatter last summer of Disney fighting off a hostile takeover from a proxy portfolio. Supposedly Apple.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 23, 2021

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
If any company deserves to be taken down a peg, its Disney. I know it wont amount to much in the long run, and even in the absolute worst case they're more likely to get bought out than go bankrupt, but I won't loose sleep over some Disney suit making a few less billion dollars than usual and if it means we don't see Disney just buy out any more studios in the near future then thank loving Christ for that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

haven't there also been rumors for years that disney parks engages in absolutely hilarious amounts of fraud and have been far less profitable than claimed basically forever?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

haven't there also been rumors for years that disney parks engages in absolutely hilarious amounts of fraud and have been far less profitable than claimed basically forever?

It's not that the parks aren't profitable it's that they can hide any loses from any other venture with the black hole combo of park and hollywood accounting.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Who's to say they didn't spend $100mil on on ice last quarter.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

8one6 posted:

Who's to say they didn't spend $100mil on on ice last quarter.

Ice is what we call meth down under so I read this a bit differently.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Ice is what we call meth down under so I read this a bit differently.

What do you call ice

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

What do you call ice

Knackered snags.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Pigbuster posted:

What do you call ice

Chewing water

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A seppo cold one.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sony’s Demon’s Souls Video Game Is Getting A Movie

quote:

According to our trusted inside source – the same one that has provided Giant Freakin Robot with multiple confirmed exclusive scoops that have included the reveal that Bruce Wayne’s parents will be evil in Robert Pattinson’s The Batman, Bruce Campbell will appear for a cameo in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and that Monica Rambeau will be a main character in the upcoming Disney+ series Secret Invasion – Demon’s Souls is being developed into a major movie project over at Sony. It sounds like Sony knows that this has the potential to be a big intellectual property for them and that the movie will be a sizable production. Considering the popularity of the video game series, they seem to know that they have something that could become a real franchise for them if they play their cards right.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the first I’ve heard of the evil Waynes thing

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Joker (2019) revealed that Bruce Waynes parents were evil.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s kind of a stretch to call them ‘evil’ in that movie and that quote is talking about The Batman which isn’t out yet

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They're evil. You know it, I know it, why lie?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because lying is fun and makes you cool :coal:

Prowler
May 24, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s kind of a stretch to call them ‘evil’ in that movie and that quote is talking about The Batman which isn’t out yet

Yeah, I am curious myself.

Will they be evil in the "the reason why Gotham is so poor is because we own all the local industry and pay our workers like poo poo, but we do a lot of philanthropy and have a good PR department" kind of way? Or evil in the "Thomas Wayne was literally a murdering sociopath crime boss who managed to keep his reputation clean as he took over Gotham"?

Granted, the two options I've presented are pretty similar. Has Wayne Corp. ever been presented heavily as a multinational corporation in the same way Stark Industries is?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Batman's always like "I'm Batman" but how does he know?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Batman's always like "I'm Batman" but how does he know?

He checks the name on his credit card.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He's actually saying "I'm bad, man"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Prowler posted:

Yeah, I am curious myself.

Will they be evil in the "the reason why Gotham is so poor is because we own all the local industry and pay our workers like poo poo, but we do a lot of philanthropy and have a good PR department" kind of way? Or evil in the "Thomas Wayne was literally a murdering sociopath crime boss who managed to keep his reputation clean as he took over Gotham"?

Granted, the two options I've presented are pretty similar. Has Wayne Corp. ever been presented heavily as a multinational corporation in the same way Stark Industries is?

Pretty often, yeah. I mean, in MoS they have their own satellite, and the DCAU has Batman find the League's space station out of a fraction of the WayneCo space budget. They're old money in a sometimes ludicrously diversified industry, hence Batman always having a R&D department to crib stuff from. (Did have an idea that the comics should explore; what if someone pirates or just buys the same equipment Batman uses? The grapple guns and body armour and all may be expensive, but that never stopped the US military from wanting a new wunderwaften.) Also was actually a plot point in Arkham City's backstory, as the Cobblepots tried to compete with the Waynes in every new field, and between failing at that and neglecting their original industries their own business empire collapsed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is catwoman normally portrayed as having a comparable grapnel launcher? If so does she 1) have another one that's somehow as good 2) have a worse one or none at all but keep competitive in rooftop hopping anyway, implying she's better at it than Batman or 3) have a stolen bat grapnel? Bevause of the nature of comics I'm guessing the answer is, variously, all of them + "dont over think it man it's just for fun don't be lame" a huuge bong hit.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Time for Martha Wayne as the Joker

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fried Watermelon posted:

This is why Snyder cast Lauren Cohan as Martha Wayne.

Lady Joker.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is catwoman normally portrayed as having a comparable grapnel launcher? If so does she 1) have another one that's somehow as good 2) have a worse one or none at all but keep competitive in rooftop hopping anyway, implying she's better at it than Batman or 3) have a stolen bat grapnel? Bevause of the nature of comics I'm guessing the answer is, variously, all of them + "dont over think it man it's just for fun don't be lame" a huuge bong hit.

She has a whip that usually functions as the same thing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I liked that the Waynes were dipshits in Joker, and with that movie doing so well I imagine there's some leniency to continue loving with the Batman formula. I would be all for a Batman angsty over the fact that his parents actually were douchebags.

We have too many "hero learned to be responsible through his caring and supportive father figure[s]" stories.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

In the Telltale Batman games, Thomas Wayne is revealed to have been in cahoots with Carmine Falcone and Mayor Hill to launder the mob’s money, injected people with insanity inducing chemicals and sent them to Arkham Asylum to steal their properties and order outright assassinations. Martha ordered him to stop threatening to turn him in and they were murdered on the orders of Hill once he found this out.

Prowler posted:

Pretty much. It doesn’t come up as often as Stark but Wayne has a bunch of fingers in a lot of pies. One rather silly alternate universe Batman, the Grim Knight (seriously) decided to pretty much become the Punisher (I.e. GUNS GUNS GUNS) and turned all the resources of Wayne Enterprises into allowing him to kill anyone by jacking their cars or via illegal surveillance and drones.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

I liked that the Waynes were dipshits in Joker, and with that movie doing so well I imagine there's some leniency to continue loving with the Batman formula. I would be all for a Batman angsty over the fact that his parents actually were douchebags.

We have too many "hero learned to be responsible through his caring and supportive father figure[s]" stories.

One of my favorite things about Suicide Squad is that Batman is explicitly a piece of poo poo in it. He even reenacts his own origin story as the villain!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People don't use the term "in cahoots" enough anymore.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One of my favorite things about Suicide Squad is that Batman is explicitly a piece of poo poo in it. He even reenacts his own origin story as the villain!

Holy poo poo he dooooes. I think I recall being a little uncomfortable in the theater but I completely forgot about this!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Prowler posted:

We're ready for a take on the Waynes being part of the Deep State Cabal, and Bruce becomes Batman because he learns the truth from QAnon.

Lazarus Pits = adrenochrome

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Millions of fanboys and critics wailing “Not my Batman” into the night...a new focus of hate

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack B Nimble posted:

Holy poo poo he dooooes. I think I recall being a little uncomfortable in the theater but I completely forgot about this!

He defeats a gun by hiding behind a child. Sick man!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

We're ready for a take on the Waynes being part of the Deep State Cabal, and Bruce becomes Batman because he learns the truth from QAnon.

Lazarus Pits = adrenochrome

Thats basically Court of Owls stories

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fried Watermelon posted:

DC's already got you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Vandar posted:

DC's already got you covered.

The animated movie version of Thomas Wayne as Batman is an alcoholic dick and uses guns.