Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hobnob posted:

Today is, apparently, National Puppy Day.

Edit: what the hell are you doing Ollie.

that is the cutest pup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Everyone should post puppies today (and every day)

Awkward baby Scout

Mina was the cutest puppy in the universe

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Tarkus at around 10 weeks

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
This was remi, our family's first bird dog, a gsp with a funny birth defect that causes her nose to have two independent nostrils.

This is Stanley, he's 6 now and much bigger but still the same puppy.

Verman fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 24, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh no those neck folds have killed me :kimchi:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

by sebmojo
Oh hell yeah, puppies.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

oh my god

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Sherlock has separation anxiety (and tbh I probably do too.) My boss is very understanding, and because of this, Sherlock comes to work on my day in the office. My partner is able to go in more often and is there daily.

As the coldest dog in Toronto, Sherlock hates walks. As a result, I was trapped at home and was reliant on my partner to get groceries and anything else I needed.

WE GOT A K9 SPORT SACK. I loooove it. We also got the snuggler, which is essential for him.

This setup gives me the illusion of freedom, but I'm not going to lie to you all and tell you that I've actually left the house without my partner in the past month or two. I have taken him to work in the Sport Sack a few times, which has allowed us to bypass the horrible Toronto construction but we haven't gone into stores or on the TTC.

Once we go back to work, we will begin working on the separation anxiety, but I have found that every step forward in this regard is undone by the fact that I don't leave on a daily basis.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I kinda want a small dog just so I can carry them around with me like that :3:

It should be illegal to be that cute

Ainsley
Feb 17, 2011

You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.
I'm a few hours late for Puppy Day, but I figured people wouldn't be _too_ mad at pictures, even if they are a bit late?

I can still feel that soooooft puppy fur, just looking at the pictures.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Kepler's foster family took this; it's the earliest known photo of him. Not exactly a baby puppy, but not quite the "big ol' dog" he is now.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Nova, circa 5 weeks old.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

luscious posted:

I don't leave on a daily basis.

This is the best time to work on separation anxiety! :neckbeard:

Practice the lead-up actions to leaving and then don’t leave. It will uncouple those cues from the actual event. If you haven’t yet, look at Patrica McConnell’s “I’ll Be Home Soon”

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Joburg posted:

Practice the lead-up actions to leaving and then don’t leave. It will uncouple those cues from the actual event. If you haven’t yet, look at Patrica McConnell’s “I’ll Be Home Soon”

I'm downloading this now, thank you! We have our work cut out for us on separation anxiety. Savannah currently has a zero-second tolerance for losing line of sight, and she goes full nuclear with the pee/diarrhea/screaming/launching herself at the wall and causing harm. Velcro dog!!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm downloading this now, thank you! We have our work cut out for us on separation anxiety. Savannah currently has a zero-second tolerance for losing line of sight, and she goes full nuclear with the pee/diarrhea/screaming/launching herself at the wall and causing harm. Velcro dog!!

I feel so sorry for you, I hope this gets better. Gobi screamed nonstop when I first left, but it turned out he just hated being stuck anywhere other than the living room. Since he hasn’t been chewing on stuff I’m fine leaving him in there. I was getting so frustrated when he was just screaming when I left, I can’t imagine what it’s like to have your pup hurting themselves because you’re gone.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The only time I've ever closed the door making GBS threads was the o.g. separation anxiety training.

Got a lot of reading done waiting for a quiet moment to open the door.

Now I can poo poo in peace door open.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Got a lot of reading done waiting for a quiet moment to open the door.

This is what makes it so hard and frustrating to find good resources on SA Training! They're all about waiting for the self-calm and/or gradually increasing the amount of time they can handle being alone.

I go behind the door just long enough to turn around and reveal myself, and she casts aside any yummy treats she's enjoying, reflexively pees herself, & tries to jump over the baby gate, landing hard on her back and limping for the next 5 minutes :negative:

We love this sweet little baby but every day since we brought her home (March 6th at 9 weeks) has been a little bit worse than the one before it

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
One thing that booklet teaches is to give your dog something really special like a peanut butter filled Kong only when you are leaving a room. Then take it away when you come back in. It helps them decide that you leaving is actually a great thing and you returning actually sucks.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is what makes it so hard and frustrating to find good resources on SA Training! They're all about waiting for the self-calm and/or gradually increasing the amount of time they can handle being alone.

You are probably moving too fast though the training. If she shows signs of stress you are not making progress.

We spent WEEKS walking to the door but not actually going through the door. Then more weeks walking partway through the door. Then more weeks just on the other side of the door. I legit cried the day we could both stand outside the door for 5 minutes.

It took us 6 solid months of 10+ practice sessions per day to both leave the house for 30 minutes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Joburg posted:

You are probably moving too fast though the training. If she shows signs of stress you are not making progress.

We spent WEEKS walking to the door but not actually going through the door. Then more weeks walking partway through the door. Then more weeks just on the other side of the door. I legit cried the day we could both stand outside the door for 5 minutes.

It took us 6 solid months of 10+ practice sessions per day to both leave the house for 30 minutes.

I thought "leave the room for 0.01 seconds and come back" would be step 1 but this booklet is making it sound like it's an advanced step!

I need to spend some time putting my coat on and jingling my keys without leaving the room, because in her mind, the meltdown has already begun long before I've taken a step toward the door

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm working with a separation anxiety trainer over Zoom right now, and leaving the room isn't even in the first five steps. In fact, the advice at the beginning is "if at all possible, simply never leave the dog alone".

For the first two weeks, we're just working on a "self-settle" (get the dog to do an implied 'lay down') and practice walking several steps away, then immediately walking back and giving a treat. No leaving line of sight, no turning your back.

Kepler can do 4-5 steps away consistently; any further and he tends to hop up to follow us. This is definitely a velcro dog.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought "leave the room for 0.01 seconds and come back" would be step 1 but this booklet is making it sound like it's an advanced step!

I need to spend some time putting my coat on and jingling my keys without leaving the room, because in her mind, the meltdown has already begun long before I've taken a step toward the door

Good luck with the training. It is very tiresome but it does work eventually.

I still wish we had jumped straight to getting another dog. Would have saved Noodle a lot of needless worrying if she could see, “hey, that other dog isn’t worried” and also, “he might eat my treat so I better focus on that instead of what the people are doing!”

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Joburg posted:

I still wish we had jumped straight to getting another dog. Would have saved Noodle a lot of needless worrying if she could see, “hey, that other dog isn’t worried” and also, “he might eat my treat so I better focus on that instead of what the people are doing!”

She just got her 2nd round of vaccines yesterday and the vet said that in her case the psychological benefits of playing with other dogs will outweigh the potential health risks. There's a sweet, calm golden retriever who lives next door that lives a low-risk lifestyle and our hope is that they will have lots of fun together!

They said hi across the fence once

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Joburg posted:

Well, it can also backfire and make the other dog anxious. It's not a guaranteed solution.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Joburg posted:

Hey thanks!! I have read the book and I will focus more on training.

I think that the problem for us is that we have this back and forth where I practice with Sherlock and OH BOY WE DO SO WELL!!!! and then my boyfriend is like "ok let's go to work" and then there's all of these major and long lasting cues that we're leaving. Back to training both of them!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, it can also backfire and make the other dog anxious. It's not a guaranteed solution.

Yeah, you have to choose the second dog carefully. Our #2 is very self assured and never looks to Noodle for leadership. He was two-ish when we got him so we could see his personality from the beginning. He definitely has a lot of his own issues but luckily SA is not one of them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

by sebmojo
I live in Tokyo which means there's constantly people everywhere which means there's constantly garbage everywhere. Is it realistic to ever train a dog to stop rooting around for trash to eat or is that just the nature of the beast?

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
Nature of the beast, I think. My dog found something "good" a few months ago next to the sidewalk, and wants to immediately go to that specific spot every time we take a walk.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man what in the world

Savannah is 11 weeks and she just started furiously humping the hell out of everything today, in addition to pissing everywhere

Like, she usually needs to pee about 8 times a day, but this was 10+ indoor pees and 10+ outdoor pees

It was an odd day! Hopefully (the pissing) is related to yesterday's vaccines? Vet wouldn't really comment on that directly but said call back tomorrow if it's still happening

EDIT: also just to make sure I do something other than complain about the mutt 24/7 I gotta give her props for absolutely acing the concept of "stay" today. Her very first lesson using hand-fed individual kibbles and a crate door that only opens when she remains seated. Within 2-3 kibbles she figured out the rules, and was still as a statue for up to 5 full seconds before losing impulse control and diving for that sweet, sweet kibble

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 25, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Stringent posted:

I live in Tokyo which means there's constantly people everywhere which means there's constantly garbage everywhere. Is it realistic to ever train a dog to stop rooting around for trash to eat or is that just the nature of the beast?

Yes. Tokyo has far less garbage than most western ciities and we manage (mostly) to teach our dogs on to eat it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

by sebmojo

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yes. Tokyo has far less garbage than most western ciities and we manage (mostly) to teach our dogs on to eat it.

How long does it take? She knows "leave it" and I keep an eye down for obvious stuff, but she finds stuff I can't see a lot. Do I have to train her out of sniffing all together and just have her watch me the whole time?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gobi found a dead mouse in my neighbors backyard two weeks ago and still wants to go there ASAP once we walk out my front door.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Stringent posted:

How long does it take? She knows "leave it" and I keep an eye down for obvious stuff, but she finds stuff I can't see a lot. Do I have to train her out of sniffing all together and just have her watch me the whole time?

Really depends on how you train your dog and what kind of dog you want to have...and more importantly, how much effort you are willing to put into it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Let me tell you about this amazing dog I have.

Kepler has a boatload of issues, from severe separation anxiety to horrible leash skills to an unquenchable thirst for destroying (and usually swallowing) anything that he can get in his mouth. We're working with two different trainers on his various issues, and some days it about drives us to insanity. And yet...

Today we had a major tornado come through my town, and my neighborhood specifically. We had lots of advance warning, so we all went into the closet under the stairs to wait it out.

I fed the dog cookies while my wife brushed him. He was super chill the entire time, even as we heard the roar of the tornado coming overhead -- the house was creaking loudly, and there was a lot of small debris hitting the back windows.

About halfway through it, the power went out, and Kepler... laid down. Because to him, dark equals sleepytime.

Kepler has spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping next to my desk chair, and he doesn't seem the least bit anxious or traumatized.

I don't know where this supernaturally chill dog came from, but he is a goddamned champion.

Edit: Current mood:

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 25, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Blessing in disguise today. Savannah ate half of a caterpillar and immediately started growling and rolling around on the ground while licking the air

She barfed up 5 rocks, one of which was just barely smaller than a golf ball

Regarding the caterpillar, it was one of those orange and black fuzzy ones, which the vet said could be toxic, might just be irritating from the fuzz, and to see if barfing and tongue behavior continue

She's all better other than a bit sleepy but man we're relieved that she barfed up the rock garden she swallowed

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That would have hurt coming out :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Does there exist a dog bed that my dogs can't/won't disembowel?