Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Argue posted:

Is there a reason why seemingly everyone on Twitter, Discord, and SA has been watching old Columbo episodes for the last two or three months?

I dunno about anyone else but I got a Peacock subscription and was just looking for something to watch when I saw it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I know it’s been floated several times that Natasha Lyonne should be cast in a Columbo remake (correct), but has it been mentioned that Kate Mulgrew, who worked with Lyonne in Orange is the New Black, played Columbo’s wife in a spin-off series and could provide a link that would make the new series a legitimate in-universe sequel/continuation?

How is this not already in production? Give me 10%

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Argue posted:

Is there a reason why seemingly everyone on Twitter, Discord, and SA has been watching old Columbo episodes for the last two or three months?

Comfort.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looten Plunder posted:

No, it actually feels good. We don't need to wear masks and there is no COVID.

I was comparing the situation where I live to the awfulness of the US.

Ah, misread the tone!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is Columbo "who shot JR?"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My grandmother's assisted living facility just had to go into lockdown again because one of the staff that refused vaccination tested positive. This sucks because they were JUST starting to let vaccinated people visit in rooms.

Incredible. Especially in a place full of olds. What happened to this person?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like half of all healthcare workers nationally declined the vaccine. I don't know why!!!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shageletic posted:

Incredible. Especially in a place full of olds. What happened to this person?

Nothing because you can't fire them for refusing the vaccine and they wouldn't even if they could since there's a national shortage of workers in this segment (because, spoiler alert, they don't pay enough because we don't have adequate safety nets for elder care.)

It's just a poo poo sandwich anyway you slice it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

Like half of all healthcare workers nationally declined the vaccine. I don't know why!!!

Because they had concerns about how fast it was rushed to market

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Azhais posted:

Well, with hundreds of millions of doses in arms with no real problems and plummeting case curves among vaccinated elderly populations, I think it's time to revisit those concerns.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Argue posted:

Because it owns op

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Well, with hundreds of millions of doses in arms with no real problems and plummeting case curves among vaccinated elderly populations, I think it's time to revisit those concerns.

Just put it in the goddamn water supply.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Azhais posted:

You are painting far too generous a picture of the vast majority of them. Need I remind you that a licensed pharmacist was arrested by the FBI for dumping doses because he wanted to stop the Gates chip rollout.

Having a job that requires a lot of training or schooling doesn't necessarily guarantee that you are free of irrational biases or aren't influenced by charlatans/taken in by cults. Don't try to frame their resistance as reasonable skepticism, it is not.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Looten Plunder posted:

Is Columbo "who shot JR?"

That was Dallas, and it was Kristin.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't understand how people in the military can opt out. It's the loving military.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

I don't understand how people in the military can opt out. It's the loving military.

Every single health care worker, educator and really any municipal employee should be compelled to be vaxxed. Or else gently caress off your fired.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Because its approved through emergency use

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GreenNight posted:

It's the military, the main thing they ever do is get soldiers killed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

It's the military, the main thing they ever do is get soldiers killed.

Yeah but mostly after they're discharged.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

70+ million people still voted for Trump, it's because people are dumb.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Not all of them are dumb, some are just morally bankrupt.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is like two years late, but I started watching See on Apple+. All I knew about it was that it was made fun of for being the "Game of Thrones ripoff" among Apple+'s original launch slate and that's it. After seeing Momoa on Justice League and then watching Aquaman, and since I already have Apple+ for For All Mankind and Servant, I decided to give See a shot too.

It's pretty good. I'm only on the fourth episode so maybe it shits the bed later, but I think the worldbuilding and acting alike are good. Not really Game of Thrones at all, outside of Momoa being vaguely barbarian and an evil queen (who admittedly does have some ridiculous sex scene gratuity). Honestly, Momoa's acting kind of surprises me. There are a few issues I have with it (the inconsistent aging of characters and use of sight-based metaphors) but on the whole it's a fine use of an hour a night to watch.

Anyway, doesn't seem like anyone really remembers this show even exists, or that there's anything on Apple+ other than FAM and Ted Lasso, but that's my endorsement of it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Perhaps they're worried about what would happen if they tried to force it. I'm pretty sure they can.

Also, good? More for the rest of us stuck dealing with the vaccine thunderdome.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

This is like two years late, but I started watching See on Apple+. All I knew about it was that it was made fun of for being the "Game of Thrones ripoff" among Apple+'s original launch slate and that's it. After seeing Momoa on Justice League and then watching Aquaman, and since I already have Apple+ for For All Mankind and Servant, I decided to give See a shot too.

It's pretty good. I'm only on the fourth episode so maybe it shits the bed later, but I think the worldbuilding and acting alike are good. Not really Game of Thrones at all, outside of Momoa being vaguely barbarian and an evil queen (who admittedly does have some ridiculous sex scene gratuity). Honestly, Momoa's acting kind of surprises me. There are a few issues I have with it (the inconsistent aging of characters and use of sight-based metaphors) but on the whole it's a fine use of an hour a night to watch.

Anyway, doesn't seem like anyone really remembers this show even exists, or that there's anything on Apple+ other than FAM and Ted Lasso, but that's my endorsement of it.

Is "see" the name of the show? If so, I can see that being a problem to memory and discovery. Y'all see See? Naw cici's sucks.

Curious what your issue is with sight-based metaphors? edit: Ohhhh it's about people who ain't see, never mind, makes sense after watchin trailer

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Perhaps they're worried about what would happen if they tried to force it. I'm pretty sure they can.

Also, good? More for the rest of us stuck dealing with the vaccine thunderdome.

Talking to my Dad who was in nam, they forced all sorts of experimental vaccines on the troops with no asking you if you wanted it. Do your job solder and shut the gently caress up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Curious what your issue is with sight-based metaphors? edit: Ohhhh it's about people who ain't see, never mind, makes sense after watchin trailer

More than that, they make a big point about how even referencing sight is against their religion, and it's avoided for the first episode. But starting in the second, occasionally there will be something like a character saying "don't lose sight of your goal" or something like that.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos
I’m on episode 6 of The Strain and this show owns. It’s like Blade II of the series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

commielingus posted:

I’m on episode 6 of The Strain and this show owns. It’s like Blade II of the series.

YOUNG BOY

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Strain was not good TV, but it was fun bonkers TV.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I need more fun bonkers TV like True Blood.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In The Strain there's a hacker that hacks the planet to keep the existence of vampires hidden from the world. If the show was made today I feel like it would be a lot easier to just say vampires are a jewish/soros conspiracy and enough people would believe it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Last season though!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

The Strain would've been so much worse if it had been good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The What We Do in the Shadows (movie) spin off series Wellington Paranormal is finally getting US distribution. It will air weekly on the CW and then next day the episode will show up on HBO Max.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

The What We Do in the Shadows (movie) spin off series Wellington Paranormal is finally getting US distribution. It will air weekly on the CW and then next day the episode will show up on HBO Max.

Dope. I got my dad really into WWDITS so maybe this will tide him over before Season 3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Awesome, I've been waiting for it to show up here and I would have watched it on the CW, but getting it on HBO Max is so much better.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Argue posted:

I've been rewatching Columbo and Poirot off and on and it's been a nice shield from hellworld. I forgot how utterly charming both Peter Falk and David Suchet were.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Also, Columbo owns.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Plus, Peter Falk managed to not say any terrible racist or sexist poo poo his whole life, and by all accounts was just a good guy all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wellington Paranormal is real cool