Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DorianGravy posted:

I just watched Zack Snyder's Justice League. It's a bit of a mixed bag. It's better than the original, for the simple reason that it feels like there's *something* there, rather than the big nothing that the original movie was. The movie's main problem is that it's way too long, and it's also fairly slow and depressed. It's only near the end that the movie has the tone that I wish it started with.

Agreed. It was significantly better than the original, but at 4 hours long, there were moments where I forgot what was going on because the setup for a scene was 3 hours earlier.

mA posted:

Shame that we probably won't get to see how Snyder's JL sequels would have turned out. Hopefully those Pattinson Batman movies are worthwhile.

I wouldn't rely on the plural here given how unsure the DC movies have been. They announce and cancel movies left and right. And given that in the DC cinematic universe, only one movie has been good (Wonder Woman, and even that was only good in the sense that it was a completely average action film with a dull final 3rd of the movie), we'll see if audiences will be clamoring for another Pattinson Batman movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
They gave Snyder 70 million dollars to finish the movie. If the Snyder Cut is even remotely successful by whatever metrics Warner has for HBO Max content, I'm sure they'll greenlight more Snyder DC stuff.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Jose Oquendo posted:

They gave Snyder 70 million dollars to finish the movie. If the Snyder Cut is even remotely successful by whatever metrics Warner has for HBO Max content, I'm sure they'll greenlight more Snyder DC stuff.

They already said "thank you very much but no".

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bullet dodged

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I was on my phone, but here the news:

https://www.cnet.com/news/warner-bros-says-no-plans-with-zack-snyder-after-justice-league/
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/zack-snyder-justice-league-suicide-squad-ray-fisher-warnermedia-1234935580/

quote:

"We're just so happy that he could bring his cut of the Justice League to life because that wasn't in the plan until about a year ago," Sarnoff continued. "With that comes the completion of his trilogy. We're very happy we've done this, but we're very excited about the plans we have for all the multi-dimensional DC characters that are being developed right now."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The reason you can't rule out some sort of continuation to the "Snyderverse" is that they're definitely doing a Flash movie and they're of course going to do an Aquaman sequel. So these characters are gonna have their chance at keeping the success going and in 2 or 3 years from now I don't think it's crazy at all to speculate that they might decide to bring Snyder back in some capacity.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Basebf555 posted:

The reason you can't rule out some sort of continuation to the "Snyderverse" is that they're definitely doing a Flash movie and they're of course going to do an Aquaman sequel. So these characters are gonna have their chance at keeping the success going and in 2 or 3 years from now I don't think it's crazy at all to speculate that they might decide to bring Snyder back in some capacity.

Doesn't mean that they have any coherent plan for their cinematic universe. From talking to a friend who is really big into DC, he said that they're going to use the Flash movie to do a complete reboot of the universe. But who knows.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

My big guess is that they are waiting to see how Matt Reeves' Batman and James Gunn's Suicide Squad do before deciding which way to go with their movies.

Although I remember they wanted to do a line of movies that was more in the indy-esque (faux indy/"grounded in reality"/whatever) style and at the same time a more blockbuster flashy superhero line.

I dunno, WB tends to be a mess when it comes to what they want the DC franchise to be.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How in the gently caress am I gonna see Mortal Kombat in Canada? I've read they will be coming to Crave "after they hit theatres" but thats horse poo poo. I want day one. Its the most frustrating when you're willing to pay for something and just cant have it because you're more northern than someone else.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

codo27 posted:

How in the gently caress am I gonna see Mortal Kombat in Canada? I've read they will be coming to Crave "after they hit theatres" but thats horse poo poo. I want day one. Its the most frustrating when you're willing to pay for something and just cant have it because you're more northern than someone else.

They said the same thing with WW84 but you'll probably be able to rent it digitally.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly Gal Gadot is just so...ehhh. I'm sure she was good at teaching IDF soldiers how to get Palestinian children in JUST the right chokehold but when it comes to actingggggg... The fact they have her voice over exposition in Justice League is hilarious. She's just so flat.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
like, you could've paid me to do this voice over RIGHT NOW, without having read the script before, and it wouldn't be better but it wouldn't really be much worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XokL_scKFT0

Her vibes would be perfect for like, a Neil Breen movie though.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Her vibes would be perfect for like, a Neil Breen movie though.

Lol

I didn't think she was that great in her first one, but in 1984 she's just straight up awful

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly Gal Gadot is just so...ehhh. I'm sure she was good at teaching IDF soldiers how to get Palestinian children in JUST the right chokehold but when it comes to actingggggg... The fact they have her voice over exposition in Justice League is hilarious. She's just so flat.

I don't think she had a choice. Although she definitely had a choice in supporting them post-service. She's a terrible actress, but she was genuinely good in Wonder Woman. I think she peaked there. Her inability to act was perfect for someone trying to fit into a world of humans.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Wonder Woman as a character needs to have a certain stateswoman quality. She’s very wise in ways that Superman and Batman aren’t always and I don’t think Gadot has that.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like Wonder Woman as a character needs to have a certain stateswoman quality. She’s very wise in ways that Superman and Batman aren’t always and I don’t think Gadot has that.

That's true. I am talking exclusively about her introduction. But maybe fish out of water with more decorum is a better angle.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 25, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's not that Gadot lacks some certain quality; it just isn't an aspect of this incarnation of the character. In both Wonder Woman and Snyder Cut, Diana is "the religious one" who's also curiously accepting and nonjudgmental. In Snyder Cut specifically, she is presented as a sort of artist.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I watched the first two episodes of Avenue 5 on HBO Max, which has Hugh Laurie as the captain of the space cruise ship. It's a little bad, but I want to like it. Anyone watch this?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Gal Gadot is a great actress except for when she has to talk.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Keep watching. Just...oh man that's a good show. Keep watching. What did you think was bad specifically? If it's not for you that's fine but I'm curious.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DorianGravy posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Avenue 5 on HBO Max, which has Hugh Laurie as the captain of the space cruise ship. It's a little bad, but I want to like it. Anyone watch this?

If I remember correctly it was well received on here, and I loved it overall. There are some really great episodes that seemed completely absurd (in a good way) when it aired, but after QAnon and anti-maskers they are now in hindsight a true representation of what would really happen.

drat I hope season 2 keeps up the insanity.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

pospysyl posted:

Gal Gadot is a great actress except for when she has to talk.

It is loving hilarious that they had to give everyone on the island similar accents to just cover for her accent.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DorianGravy posted:

I wanted to like it given the creative team behind it, but I never found it funny, and I stopped watching after a few episodes.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I felt the same way but held out for the whole season. It never really got better.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Okay, I watched a few more episodes of Avenue 5, and it's getting a lot better. I'm not sure why the first couple episodes didn't work for me as well. I think the show needed a little time to find its footing, but the weirdness of the later episodes helped. I'm really starting to like the characters.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I thought you meant Danger 5 for a minute. Which...yeah, weird.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nihonniboku posted:

I wanted to like it given the creative team behind it, but I never found it funny, and I stopped watching after a few episodes.

Same here and I've never ever revisited it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Nihonniboku posted:

Same, it just fell 100% completely flat for me.

The same exact feeling I had watching Space Force on Netflix, loved everyone involved, but the parts just didn't gel at all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
This scene is all you need really
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Avenue 5 was actually decent, but for some reason I just plum forgot to watch the finale and forgot all about it which kind of says a lot about the show, or me I guess. I liked it just fine, it just didn't stick with me in a way that I really cared about it. Which is weird because it was funny and the story was entertaining. I haven't thought about it once since I watched until I looked at this thread though and I really don't care about going back to watch the finale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Actually now that I watched that clip I need to go back and finish it lol.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I imagine Army of The Dead is going to be pretty popular and that might result in Netflix throwing more money Snyder's way. I hope this includes the George Washington movie he wants to make.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Judakel posted:

I don't think she had a choice. Although she definitely had a choice in supporting them post-service. She's a terrible actress, but she was genuinely good in Wonder Woman. I think she peaked there. Her inability to act was perfect for someone trying to fit into a world of humans.

There's always a choice

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

There's always a choice

Pretty cool.

Also, one of Gal Gadot's next movies (wrapped) is with Armie Hammer. He isn't the main star, but they are paired together in the movie. Tough stuff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DorianGravy posted:

Okay, I watched a few more episodes of Avenue 5, and it's getting a lot better. I'm not sure why the first couple episodes didn't work for me as well. I think the show needed a little time to find its footing, but the weirdness of the later episodes helped. I'm really starting to like the characters.

Probably the usual reason, they write the first two or three episodes before filming the pilot and dont get an idea for what works and doesn't till after seeing it in action.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

DorianGravy posted:

Nah that's normal, it starts weak but very quickly becomes very very good

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Judakel posted:

Pretty cool.

Also, one of Gal Gadot's next movies (wrapped) is with Armie Hammer. He isn't the main star, but they are paired together in the movie. Tough stuff.

Maybe he will eat her, and go to prison. Solve two problems!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

This was my experience as well. Was almost a hate watch until episode 5 or 6 when it finally clicked for me, I only gave it that long because I love so much of the talent involved.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I'm not sure that sold the series like you thought it would.

frogbs posted:

Same, it just fell 100% completely flat for me.

The same exact feeling I had watching Space Force on Netflix, loved everyone involved, but the parts just didn't gel at all.

To be honest, I watched Space Force and don't really remember much about it. From what I seem to remember, it was tonally inconsistent, would start plot points and immediately drop them, and was there a weird forced romance plot between two of the supporting characters that made absolutely no sense? I seem to remember it started to finally get kind of good, in the season finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Space Force is so blah and below Avenue 5.