Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Why would she walk away when she's getting paid insane amounts of money and can't really do her job like she used to, she's winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hyrax Attack! posted:

$300,000 an episode and she cares what reviews say? Yes, if I were paid that much for any piece of media I worked half a day on I would also enjoy it very much. And the reviewer wasn’t some random blog reply tweeting her, he’s a professional critic for a major site. Have some self respect and don’t apologize if your review was in good faith. It’s not like Fox can block you from watching new eps.

At this point is Castellaneta the only main cast member who hasn’t become problematic? I guess Kavner hasn’t done much wrong other than not knowing when to walk away.

The complete insanity of reviewing Simpsons episodes aside, and the complete insanity of caring about what those reviews say aside:

It's incredible what the human brain will delude itself into believing.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

When you make insane money for only like, 6 weeks of work every year, you spend the other 46 weeks probably being extremely online and losing your mind in general. Yeardley Smith has been in a zillion movies which I assume is what she likes to do sometimes as well.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Hyrax Attack! posted:

$300,000 an episode and she cares what reviews say? Yes, if I were paid that much for any piece of media I worked half a day on I would also enjoy it very much. And the reviewer wasn’t some random blog reply tweeting her, he’s a professional critic for a major site. Have some self respect and don’t apologize if your review was in good faith. It’s not like Fox can block you from watching new eps.

At this point is Castellaneta the only main cast member who hasn’t become problematic? I guess Kavner hasn’t done much wrong other than not knowing when to walk away.
They could hire impressionists for 100,000 per season and they'd be significantly better.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Looked at the tweet replies, and.....

https://twitter.com/cosmicfool13/status/1084819266237550592

https://twitter.com/BoneFM/status/1084819641371906048

https://twitter.com/DanaDeeSaravia/status/1084897284716933122

https://twitter.com/JJGoddard1983/status/1084819196276428800

I know there are still fans of the current seasons. Theoretically the need to exist in some way, shape and form otherwise the show wouldn't keep lurching on like it does. That being said, when I look at comments like these my brain still refuses to believe that these are real people and not just sock puppet accounts that Yeardley has set up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people just have no taste, especially for something that has otherwise familiar and comforting characters and presentation. Reminded with webcomics in particular having a tendency to attract fans no matter the quality simply by regularly updating (and having been around for years back when having regular updates put you automatically ahead of the pack) and still keeping them even if they become completely stagnant, stale or the author goes down an unhinged political rabbit hole.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
They have to be just trying to get a like or retweet, there's no way they actually think that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Being a Simpsons reply guy is a level of dysfunction I hadn't considered, but yeah it makes sense

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Wow, that reviewer went into the wrong industry if he caved that fast. Not that I blame him for being afraid of modern Simpsons fans. I do blame him for saying that that other episode was "one of the best ever" though.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Well, it's true. This guy doesn't have his own cartoon so who is he to say the simpsons was bad

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Well, it's true. This guy doesn't have his own cartoon so who is he to say the simpsons was bad

I agree, but anyone who posts content in the simpsons meme thread is making funnier cartoons than the actual Simpsons, so Yeardley Smith should have to explain herself to them

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"TV Clown" is officially the only type credentialed to review The Simpsons

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Well, this sure looks salty.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"opinions are for stupid idiot assholes. now here is my stupid opinion."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I always love the "oh, his criticism is invalid since he doesn't have a TV show himself."

How can you think that way? Television is aimed for a non-tv-show-producing audience. I've seen other shows. I know the difference between a good TV show and a terrible TV show. Just because I can't write a good script isn't a sign that I lack the ability to judge, it shows more judgement than all of your writers. Does this person literally just accept everything he watches because he can't produce a TV show?

Plus, I'm sure the millionaires behind the Simpsons need your support. That makes it extra pathetic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cemetry Gator posted:

I always love the "oh, his criticism is invalid since he doesn't have a TV show himself."

How can you think that way? Television is aimed for a non-tv-show-producing audience. I've seen other shows. I know the difference between a good TV show and a terrible TV show. Just because I can't write a good script isn't a sign that I lack the ability to judge, it shows more judgement than all of your writers. Does this person literally just accept everything he watches because he can't produce a TV show?

Plus, I'm sure the millionaires behind the Simpsons need your support. That makes it extra pathetic.

Well I know you can't complain about getting food poisoning from eating somebody's food, unless you are a professional chef, so it checks out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's so stupid as an argument but it comes up 100% of the time. Imagine being a reviewer as a career and having to field that accusation every day of your life.

I can script-doctor the gently caress out of someone else's story but I am absolutely useless at writing my own poo poo. People have different skills

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Imagine wanting to talk about movies, that is so yucky!!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

That comic is real dumb but at least Groening was still a relatively young and unknown cartoonist dealing with criticism...for Yeardley Smith to take such offense for a bad review at her age, when she is literally paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per episode, and has one of the most coveted jobs in her industry is incredibly petty. Does she really need to defend The Simpsons from a big bad AV club reviewer with 8k followers? For gently caress sakes, her show still wins Emmys! How much more validation does one require?

You couldn’t force me to care about that poo poo if I was in her position.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, have you looked at a professional critic lately?

Also, that comic is kinda very specifically film critics, so I dunno why people are thinking it applies to Simpsons criticism.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just posted it because it was Groening from 500 years ago and you know, :irony: or something

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

WeaponX posted:

That comic is real dumb but at least Groening was still a relatively young and unknown cartoonist dealing with criticism...for Yeardley Smith to take such offense for a bad review at her age, when she is literally paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per episode, and has one of the most coveted jobs in her industry is incredibly petty. Does she really need to defend The Simpsons from a big bad AV club reviewer with 8k followers? For gently caress sakes, her show still wins Emmys! How much more validation does one require?

You couldn’t force me to care about that poo poo if I was in her position.

Yeah that's true. Especially as she's famous for voicing an underdog character struggling to stand out in her circumstances, and uses that fame to squash mild criticism. Will a season 35 ep has Comic Book Guy begin working as a TV critic at the Zonion AZ Club and gives Lisa's MeTube channel a D-.

At this point in show history is Al Jean a bigger villain than Andy Dick? At least Dick was one and done.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hyrax Attack! posted:

At this point in show history is Al Jean a bigger villain than Andy Dick? At least Dick was one and done.

He's looking red as gently caress in his profile, hope he's got his BP meds checked

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's looking red as gently caress in his profile, hope he's got his BP meds checked

His pic just looks like he took a pic of a 20+ year old press photo with his phone and didnt color correct for warm lighting in his sex dungeon

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Last Chance posted:

His pic just looks like he took a pic of a 20+ year old press photo with his phone and didnt color correct for warm lighting in his sex dungeon

Power move tbh, kinda coming around to this guy's way of thinking

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah that's true. Especially as she's famous for voicing an underdog character struggling to stand out in her circumstances, and uses that fame to squash mild criticism. Will a season 35 ep has Comic Book Guy begin working as a TV critic at the Zonion AZ Club and gives Lisa's MeTube channel a D-.

Pretty sure Al Jean hasn't gotten anyone killed that we know of.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Data Graham posted:

I just posted it because it was Groening from 500 years ago and you know, :irony: or something

It's an incredibly stupid comic so I think it's good for posting. The stereotypes are more or less the same between "movie critic" and "TV critic" anyway.

It would be a fun collection of observations if it just stuck to hollow criticism cliches (I've been guilty of pretty much all of them countless times when writing about films or TV or games etc, especially when I'm feeling especially lazy) but then it also goes for the "movie critics are FAT and LONELY" bit and caps things off by saying that you're just as bad if you simply want to talk about movies without even being a critic. Yeah, like, sure, some "critics" are just Comic Book Guy or the xylophone nerd brought to life (and I might be fat and lonely), but sometimes culture kind of demands to be analysed, and when it's done well you may well learn something from it.

Bringing it back to Smith's tweet, I'm reminded of something Mark Kermode once said in response to M. Night Shyamalan ranting about critics in a similar way: that the creatives who do this are often those who have benefited from glowing critical praise in the past (to the point where being critically acclaimed may have meant the difference between their stuff getting made or not), but who have since experienced a noticeable decline and are now getting called out for it. At one time The Simpsons was almost unanimously adored, even when it wasn't doing so well in terms of numbers in the early years. When that started to crack, at first with SNPP nerds around the time of season 5 and then with a much larger number of fans from season 9 onwards, that's when you started to see more "ugh, critics!!" jokes that became less and less funny as time went on. I don't think it's a coincidence.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What has Harry Shearer done? (he asked worriedly).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's an incredibly stupid comic so I think it's good for posting. The stereotypes are more or less the same between "movie critic" and "TV critic" anyway.

It would be a fun collection of observations if it just stuck to hollow criticism cliches (I've been guilty of pretty much all of them countless times when writing about films or TV or games etc, especially when I'm feeling especially lazy) but then it also goes for the "movie critics are FAT and LONELY" bit and caps things off by saying that you're just as bad if you simply want to talk about movies without even being a critic. Yeah, like, sure, some "critics" are just Comic Book Guy or the xylophone nerd brought to life (and I might be fat and lonely), but sometimes culture kind of demands to be analysed, and when it's done well you may well learn something from it.

Bringing it back to Smith's tweet, I'm reminded of something Mark Kermode once said in response to M. Night Shyamalan ranting about critics in a similar way: that the creatives who do this are often those who have benefited from glowing critical praise in the past (to the point where being critically acclaimed may have meant the difference between their stuff getting made or not), but who have since experienced a noticeable decline and are now getting called out for it. At one time The Simpsons was almost unanimously adored, even when it wasn't doing so well in terms of numbers in the early years. When that started to crack, at first with SNPP nerds around the time of season 5 and then with a much larger number of fans from season 9 onwards, that's when you started to see more "ugh, critics!!" jokes that became less and less funny as time went on. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Yeah, like in the JJ Abrams episode, you have the comic book guy bring up Sonic's teeth, and say "we saved a movie we were never going to see."

It's the laziest and easiest joke. How about "We saved this movie!" And have Homer go "But what about the CGI artists who had to redo the work." And the cbg could be like "alas, the eternal price of vigilance - making life worse for the underpaid minions of the entrainment industry." But, you know, actually make it funny.

That is a joke with substance. That is a joke that takes Hollywood to task. But this...

The Simpsons used to be the geeky kids. And then they became cool, and now, they just wanted to be cool. But they were cool because early on, they were more interested in making a geeky little show. And now they're not cool because they're trying to be cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also pretty sure the Sonic movie was a financial success.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Here's my critical analysis of new Simpsons.

It stinks!

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Yes graham cracker, everything stinks.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Last Chance posted:

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1373486213311590401?s=21

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I agree but it’s weird because for example some of Shyamalan’s movies were brutally and universally torn apart by critics and while a lot of mainstream critics acknowledge the decline in quality of the Simpsons, I wouldn’t say it’s anywhere on that level. They have been nominated for an Outstanding Animated Program Emmy every year but one since the end of the Golden Age.

They aren’t lauded like they were but they aren’t savaged the way they should be by mainstream critics, so for Yeardley Smith or Al Jean to cry about the mild criticism they actually get is so frustrating.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They did an AV Club joke in 2012. I can't find it on frinkiac, but they talking about The Onion's satire and Marge says "Their fake movie reviews are so mean!" and it shows what she's looking at and it's the AV Club and they've given The Wizard of Oz a D+

This is almost certainly Al Jean being a pissy baby about the AV Club's reviews. Note: The AV Club stopped reviewing the Simpsons regularly, and their last review was of the recent 700th episode and it's titled "The Simpsons’ 700th episode reminds us why The A.V. Club doesn't cover The Simpsons any more".

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They did an AV Club joke in 2012. I can't find it on frinkiac, but they talking about The Onion's satire and Marge says "Their fake movie reviews are so mean!" and it shows what she's looking at and it's the AV Club and they've given The Wizard of Oz a D+

This is almost certainly Al Jean being a pissy baby about the AV Club's reviews.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

These are loving garbage Onion headlines

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

That's baffling. AV Club is nice to you guys, look at the rest of the internet* :psyduck:

*Twitter sycophants and female ninja enthusiasts notwithstanding

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

womb with a view posted:

That's baffling. AV Club is nice to you guys, look at the rest of the internet* :psyduck:

*Twitter sycophants and female ninja enthusiasts notwithstanding

Yeah, I looked through their latest reviews, and there are a lot of Bs on total garbage episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of older people are both hypersensitive to online feedback yet incredibly selective as to what feedback they get and from where. It makes actual communication with them next to impossible.