Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

bolind posted:

What’s a good Unifi AP for an office with ~10 MacBook Airs and an equal amount of various smartphones. Heavy, concurrent use from the MacBooks, casual from the phones.

Geographically very small, no one is more than one glass wall and eight meters away from the AP.

MacBooks are fairly new, we’ll have the first Apple
Silicon coming in, and more to come as we rotate old stuff out.

Maybe the UniFi 6 Lite will be good; the incoming Apple Silicon machines will have WiFi 6 onboard and they're all 2x2 MIMO so that should work nicely with the 2x2 on the 6.

I'd recommend the AC Pro if you were sticking to Intel machines as it looks like Apple will never upgrade the WiFi on those (2020 Intel Macs still only have 802.11ac and 3x3 MIMO only on the 16-inch.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Gyshall posted:

I have a primary and secondary DNS server running on my LAN, currently each uses 127.0.0.1 to resolve DNS.

Should instead be setting the DNS address to some combination of the primary/secondary ipv4 IP? Or is this setup fine?

If your local DNS server is using 127.0.0.1, that means "themselves" which in turn means, whatever DNS server they get from DHCP is what they are pulling from, likely your cable internet/whatever internet you have's DNS on their network. So if you have Comcast Cable, their DNS server is going to come across in the DHCP reservation as your servers pull an address.

If that's fine for you, then it's fine, but they're not just getting the lookups locally from thin air... I think on my local network I have my pihole set to source from 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, the cloudflare resolvers. Many used to use 4.2.2.1 (Level 3 - they do bullshit now like stuff ads in for NXDOMAIN lookups) or 8.8.8.8 (Google) etc. There's nothing wrong per-se with just using your ISP's though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sniep posted:

If your local DNS server is using 127.0.0.1, that means "themselves" which in turn means, whatever DNS server they get from DHCP is what they are pulling from, likely your cable internet/whatever internet you have's DNS on their network. So if you have Comcast Cable, their DNS server is going to come across in the DHCP reservation as your servers pull an address.

If that's fine for you, then it's fine, but they're not just getting the lookups locally from thin air... I think on my local network I have my pihole set to source from 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, the cloudflare resolvers. Many used to use 4.2.2.1 (Level 3 - they do bullshit now like stuff ads in for NXDOMAIN lookups) or 8.8.8.8 (Google) etc. There's nothing wrong per-se with just using your ISP's though.

Is anyone other than Cloudflare doing encrypted DNS? I've been using them partly because of that, partly because it is faster than Comcast DNS and is also not Comcast DNS.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is anyone other than Cloudflare doing encrypted DNS? I've been using them partly because of that, partly because it is faster than Comcast DNS and is also not Comcast DNS.

Assuming you mean DoH, there's a decent list over at https://github.com/curl/curl/wiki/DNS-over-HTTPS#Publicly-available-servers

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, that's it - not a familiar acronym for me yet. Thanks!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I wanted to like Cloudflare DNS, but archive.today/.is/whatever tld they're using this week replies to Cloudflare DNS with bogus A records, as Cloudflare doesn't send any client-subnet information which archive.today uses for balancing. I found NextDNS on hackernews or something and switched to that and it's been working perfectly for me along with blocking ads on my phone.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sorry yeah to clarify my DNS servers are piholes with nextdns upstream.... I just wanted to see if dns server 1 should use dns server and itself for resolv.conf and the dns server 2 to use the primary and itself for the resolve.conf

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Buff Hardback posted:

I wanted to like Cloudflare DNS, but archive.today/.is/whatever tld they're using this week replies to Cloudflare DNS with bogus A records, as Cloudflare doesn't send any client-subnet information which archive.today uses for balancing. I found NextDNS on hackernews or something and switched to that and it's been working perfectly for me along with blocking ads on my phone.

I'd avoid them as much as possible, they almost certainly don't use this for balancing, but explicitly for user tracking.
archive.whatever also returns fake clones of the Cloudflare error and captcha pages (ripped 1:1), they also attempt to tie your resolver back to you and other sorts of creepiness

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Mikrotik pranked me hard by adding a dhcp client to any pppoe interface you add. Bizarre and it worked just fine until I power cycled the router and the ONT started telling it to gently caress off. So if you are setting up a mikrotik on a pppoe connection... make sure to remove the dhcp client

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Gyshall posted:

Sorry yeah to clarify my DNS servers are piholes with nextdns upstream.... I just wanted to see if dns server 1 should use dns server and itself for resolv.conf and the dns server 2 to use the primary and itself for the resolve.conf

In a redundant setup you'd want the two servers to only depend on themselves, so the secondary should point at itself for resolution too.

It's generally considered "better" to do recursive lookups rather than use upstream forwarders too, but if you're relying on the nextdns blacklists that's cool. It doesn't really matter for a home setup.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Hearing about the shortages has me counting my lucky stars I got an ER-X for $80 CAD only a month or so ago. The SQM has been a godsend with everyone at home all on a 8Mbps/2Mbps connection trying to do everything all at once. Can't recommend it enough for people on a slower connection.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My situation resolved itself abruptly this weekend when my son & his gf found an apartment and moved out. I'll still probably run some cable down the hallway to my office, but not nearly as concerned about sharing bandwidth with just my wife (my daughter sleeps all day so doesn't interfere with my usage).

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Martian Manfucker posted:

Hearing about the shortages has me counting my lucky stars I got an ER-X for $80 CAD only a month or so ago. The SQM has been a godsend with everyone at home all on a 8Mbps/2Mbps connection trying to do everything all at once. Can't recommend it enough for people on a slower connection.

FQ-CoDel is really quite excellent. I've been using it for both upstream and downstream in my 200/10 cable connection for a few years with great results but I imagine it's even more of an improvement on an 8/2 link.

I recently upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem and tested without shaping the downstream since I read that FQ-PIE is part of the spec and wanted to see how well it works. It turns out that it does a pretty good job of keeping the buffer bloat under control (15-25ms) at full downstream link utilization compared to my DOCSIS 3.0 modem (50+ms). It's not as good as FQ-CoDel which keeps it under 10ms but definitely an improvement if your cable provider turned it on. Now I only shape the upstream direction.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
I have cable modem/internet question(s):
Setup: Cox cable 200/10 -> SB6183(few years old) -> nighthawk AC1900(few months old)

I am experiencing periodic god awful connection. Wireshark shows a ton of retransmissions and other crap during this window. This will last for a minute tops then connection resumes as 'normal'. I had cox out and they ran a new line from the street to the junction box and replaced a couple of connectors. They suggested that the problem was the line run inside the house(all RG6U, that i am aware of). I have tried using the modem/router and the modem standalone while using the line in the house and also connecting directly to the cable in the junction box outside the house. With any combination of stuff I try, I get logs like the following from the modem:

This particular log was taken after about 2 hours of being connected to the modem/router directly from the junction box. I think steam was going nuts with updates during this time.
Is this a bad modem situation? Is it something further up the line? Any other suggestions on stuff to try and/or scream at cox about?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Your signal levels are out of whack. They need to fix that.

The uncorrectable blocks are the problem with your line, tons of packet loss.

The power level on the downstream channels is too high. Anything less than 15 dBmV should be in "spec" but you really want it around +/- 7dBmV. SNR seems fine Upstream power seems a touch low, but should still be OK.

Now the tech might have adjusted the signal to power through a few splitters inside your house, and it's just too high at the junction box.

Long story short, show Cox this, and they should fix the signal. Make noise about it, if you make enough noise they'll send the guy that actually knows what he's doing out.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

skipdogg posted:

The uncorrectable blocks are the problem with your line, tons of packet loss.

So If they just replaced the line to the house, and I am connected directly to that, is it something beyond the street connection that's the problem?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dollas posted:

So If they just replaced the line to the house, and I am connected directly to that, is it something beyond the street connection that's the problem?

I'm not 100% sure. It's not on your side of things though, it's on them to get you a solid signal to the modem, and if you're plugging it into the outside service line, you've removed everything on your side of the equation.

The line might not be properly connected, or grounded. I'm not sure if there's anything in the frequency range that causes interference. I know cell phone signal can affect things in the 700mhz range. There's other ranges that can have trouble as well. Something is causing all those uncorrected blocks.

Your downstream power is technically in spec, but is about double what it should be. That could be causing the problem.

Call them up, tell them you're having issues and have them check the signal to the modem. Call them on the phone, do not live chat. I know, it's going to be horrible, but you will survive. They may be able to fix the signal remotely, they may need to send someone out again. Cable companies HATE rolling trucks, and in general hate getting support calls, the squeaky wheel gets the grease is what I'm getting at.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

poo poo, all this talk about fiber (and my own upcoming fiber install sometime before the end of the year) reminds me that I should really look into grabbing something to replace the ER-X in a few months or so, but the pricing is just putting me off.

Is it still just Mikrotic, Cisco SMB, pfsense, if I don't want to give Ubiquiti any more money and don't have the room for rackmount? Last I checked, Engenius still didn't have such a product.

pFSense or OpnSense (fork of pFSense) are both fine choices if you want to DiY and have something with a lot of power.

With both of them you can use any PC hardware with 2 NICs. Both are built on FreeBSD. So if the hardware is supported by FreeBSD it will work fine.

My pFSense hardware is a i5-4300U based machine.. its WAY overpowered. CPU usage while doing a 1Gbps transfer never exceeds 10%.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

skipdogg posted:

I'm not 100% sure. It's not on your side of things though, it's on them to get you a solid signal to the modem, and if you're plugging it into the outside service line, you've removed everything on your side of the equation.

The line might not be properly connected, or grounded. I'm not sure if there's anything in the frequency range that causes interference. I know cell phone signal can affect things in the 700mhz range. There's other ranges that can have trouble as well. Something is causing all those uncorrected blocks.

Your downstream power is technically in spec, but is about double what it should be. That could be causing the problem.

Call them up, tell them you're having issues and have them check the signal to the modem. Call them on the phone, do not live chat. I know, it's going to be horrible, but you will survive. They may be able to fix the signal remotely, they may need to send someone out again. Cable companies HATE rolling trucks, and in general hate getting support calls, the squeaky wheel gets the grease is what I'm getting at.

I have a tech coming out on Wednesday. In the mean time they gave me one of their panoramic modems to test. A lot more channels, power levels range from 0.9 to 7.2 dBmV (all lower than the SB6183), and the correctable/uncorrectable levels don't seem batshit(yet). Small time sample size, so I'm going to use it for a day or so, but I'm not too keen on renting anything so I'd rather buy my own. Should the modem end up being the problem, what would be a comparable off the shelf replacement?

Edit: After a few hours the error levels seem to be a small fraction of what they were with the SB6183 (after a similar amount of time).

Dollas fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 23, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The go to modems these days are the SurfBoard 8200, Motorola MB8600, or the Netgear CM1000 or CM1200

I’d personally spend the extra on a 32 channel modem, which all those are. If you want to save a bit, grab another 16 channel off cox’s approved model list

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I've got an AC Lite that I've had for several years and it has been bulletproof until the last six months or so where I've had two instances of the AP degrading in performance to the point of being unusable. That's not a high frequency of occurrence to be fair, but it's also not something I've traditionally associated to Ubiquiti products.

Has anyone else run into this sort of an issue? Rebooting the AP takes care of the issue but I'm of the (possibly uninformed) opinion that I shouldn't have to. Wondering if the heat of operation is getting to a component and it's time to replace it.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
I went with an MB8600. Log looks a little better outside of a handful of channels. I'm guessing 819 and 825 are LTE related things. Thoughts? Tech is still coming out tomorrow to evaluate whatever.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Martian Manfucker posted:

Hearing about the shortages has me counting my lucky stars I got an ER-X for $80 CAD only a month or so ago.

Jesus H Christ, I'm late to the party but I decided to pull the trigger on the networking configuration I'd considered a year-ish back. Except now I'm trying to find an EdgeRouter X and find out that it's out everywhere except for a couple of scalpers. After GPUs and PS5s, it's network routers getting scalped. Loving this coronavirus hellworld. :negative:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

See if there's a Micro Center you can get to and check to see if they have stock on their website, which lists inventory by store. I see 8 in Yonkers, NY, but of course that's probably not where you are..

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Jan posted:

Jesus H Christ, I'm late to the party but I decided to pull the trigger on the networking configuration I'd considered a year-ish back. Except now I'm trying to find an EdgeRouter X and find out that it's out everywhere except for a couple of scalpers. After GPUs and PS5s, it's network routers getting scalped. Loving this coronavirus hellworld. :negative:

TigerDirect (lol I know) apparently has them in stock without a horrific markup: https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3151391

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mackieman posted:

TigerDirect (lol I know) apparently has them in stock without a horrific markup: https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3151391

Hah, why not, thanks for the tip. Buying through a dying retailer instead of giving more money to Jeff Bezos is good irony. :quagmire:

edit: Nevermind, I got an email update 30 minutes after order confirmation saying the order status is "All Backordered". Guess their system is too ancient to tell you that before you order. :nallears:

Jan fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 23, 2021

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Dollas posted:

I went with an MB8600. Log looks a little better outside of a handful of channels. I'm guessing 819 and 825 are LTE related things. Thoughts? Tech is still coming out tomorrow to evaluate whatever.

The insane number of correctables on channel 33 was an MB8600 firmware bug, it went away on mine with the latest update. The power levels and SNR across the board seem borderline, though. Hopefully the tech can help.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've been looking into UniFi for my house to have a bit more control and because my network appears to hate Comixology and Audible for some reason and won't let my tablet speak to them, a problem nobody else on my ISP has.

Is there a guide to a minimum basic setup for somebody who probably only needs one AP? Although I do have eight ethernet ports going from my router to devices around my house, so I probably need a switch for that, although maybe getting the switch from UniFi is overkill.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
I do appreciate all the replies, thanks everyone.

What kinds of things should I look for a tech to do (they've already replaced the line to the house and the connector(s))? When I connected directly to the outside service line the downstream power levels were all 13ish dbmv and the SNR 40-ish. Dangerous webMD-level symptom googling suggests a forward attenuator, would that make sense? I have not yet direct connected the new modem, but I am expecting similar levels.

edit: direct connect levels with new MB8600:

edit2: upstream power levels are 35ish dbmv, so maybe just a plain attenuator?

Dollas fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

bolind posted:

What’s a good Unifi AP for an office with ~10 MacBook Airs and an equal amount of various smartphones. Heavy, concurrent use from the MacBooks, casual from the phones.

Geographically very small, no one is more than one glass wall and eight meters away from the AP.

MacBooks are fairly new, we’ll have the first Apple
Silicon coming in, and more to come as we rotate old stuff out.

At least go with a NanoHD over a lite for business use. It's design is specifically intended for this type of scenario. If no Wifi6 is a deal breaker for you I'd suggest going with a a TP-Link EAP660 HD for $20 more.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

poo poo, all this talk about fiber (and my own upcoming fiber install sometime before the end of the year) reminds me that I should really look into grabbing something to replace the ER-X in a few months or so, but the pricing is just putting me off.

Is it still just Mikrotic, Cisco SMB, pfsense, if I don't want to give Ubiquiti any more money and don't have the room for rackmount? Last I checked, Engenius still didn't have such a product.

I'm not very impressed by Cisco's SMB offering and I'd love to support netgate but I just cant justify the price for their pfsense hardware. There's also the Meraki Go, but it's a complete joke. TP-Link has the Omada controller that looks to be very comparable to Unifi and the ER-605 router is available now that looks like a good alternative to the er-x. They have an ER-7206 that was suppose to be available this month but I'm guessing it's delayed due to all of these shortages, but it does have an SFP port and no MSRP yet. There just doesn't seem to be that many SOHO brands that are offering routers that isn't part of a mesh system.

Rand Brittain posted:

I've been looking into UniFi for my house to have a bit more control and because my network appears to hate Comixology and Audible for some reason and won't let my tablet speak to them, a problem nobody else on my ISP has.

Is there a guide to a minimum basic setup for somebody who probably only needs one AP? Although I do have eight ethernet ports going from my router to devices around my house, so I probably need a switch for that, although maybe getting the switch from UniFi is overkill.

Absolute bare minimum (as in cheapest) is going to be an er-x and AC-Lite AP, if you can find either in stock. You'll need a switch for that many ports though. Recommendation is going to require more information such as sqft and ISP speeds and I don't know if switching is going to solve your connection issues for those two services.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Did ubiquiti go downhill suddenly?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

brand engager posted:

Did ubiquiti go downhill suddenly?

They closed-sourced their surveillance products to appeal to more sales channels and pissed off a huge swath of users who wanted it to stay FOSS forever. They didn't give a very good upgrade path either, just "time to rebuy and this time you gotta buy our NVR as well"

That's all that i know of, but man people got bent over it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i believe they also added some kind of obnoxious to disable / no UI option / default turned on phone home analytics to just about everything?

edit: lol, when it launched after the blowback they were just like "block trace.svc.ui.com in your fw to turn it off"

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is there any notable difference between the two platforms ubiquiti uses for their routers? I have an er-x (mediatek) and I was thinking about replacing it with an er-6p (cavium)

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I have a UDM Pro as the router/switch and a Flex HD for the AP. The UDM pro has 8 ports but one would be used for the AP so it leaves you with 7. It has been pretty solid so far and I haven't really had any issues with it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

brand engager posted:

Is there any notable difference between the two platforms ubiquiti uses for their routers? I have an er-x (mediatek) and I was thinking about replacing it with an er-6p (cavium)

They have different HW offload capabilities though I guess it's narrowed a bit w/ EdgeOS 2.x. Slight different in hashing algos supported in HW ipsec as well.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Biowarfare posted:

i believe they also added some kind of obnoxious to disable / no UI option / default turned on phone home analytics to just about everything?

edit: lol, when it launched after the blowback they were just like "block trace.svc.ui.com in your fw to turn it off"

UDM (the Trashcan Mac, non-rackmount one) also demands that you create a Ubiquiti cloud account with no options for local credentials only, before you can access any functions. It won't even function as a dumb switch in the meantime.

Combined with their most recent data breach of customer information, and it's enough to put anyone off Ubiquiti.

In case anyone was wondering, I've decided on getting something midway up the stack from Netgate.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

movax posted:

They have different HW offload capabilities though I guess it's narrowed a bit w/ EdgeOS 2.x. Slight different in hashing algos supported in HW ipsec as well.

Oh ok I don't think that will be a problem then

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Do any of you guys have recent experience with AT&T fiber? I just bought a house and it has an SFP termination box bringing in fiber from the street. The bottom of that box has an RJ-45 connector but I'm not sure if AT&T will require the use of their gateway or if I can plug in my ER-X and be off to the races. I'd really rather not have their gateway in the middle if I can help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So you don't have to use the gateway but it has it's own downsides, I use the dumb switch bypass (easy to find on google) for it, which works really well however if your power goes out you have to connect the gateway back to the ont for a couple seconds and then you can unplug it again.

I suppose a UPS could fix this to some degree but I haven't bothered with that yet, as it's pretty infrequent that we lose power.