Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The trick is that character's name isn't the title of their game.

That's Link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I know nothing at all about old console games, we were too broke when I was a kid for Nintendos and what not. I had a computer and that's all I know, which is why I build PCs and want a new graphics card now. RIP I'll never be a verified actual gamer

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Really it's more of a surprise when tech tubers aren't like this

One of the reasons the good ones (TLD, who was also super outspoke against trump and pro masks and talking about covid) have moved out of just being about tech (ur average consumer being a new parent this year is also a good timing) and of course MKBHD seems like he's solidly just the king. Also iJustine seems solidly liberal.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Let's up the difficulty, what is this character's first name?

Then you are going to have people arguing Aerith vs Aeris.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

buffbus posted:

Then you are going to have people arguing Aerith vs Aeris.

It’s Aeris and people who spell it with a lisp don’t get cards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CaptainPsyko posted:

A harsh but fair assessment.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Why do console gamers need a video card? That can be the question to get a PS5 for RRP.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Verified Actual Gamers In North America

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I had notifications on, and still missed wherever the link was supposed to be.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I had notifications on, and still missed wherever the link was supposed to be.
Apparently you needed to actually watch the content. Linus said what the link was in the middle of a video.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

spunkshui posted:

“Stay tuned SOON for more Verified Actual Gamer drops

Sorry, we are currently out of stock.”

The quiz was to know the last two digits of the Konami code and if you put “Konami code” into Google the answer is immediately obvious.

I don’t see any indication that he was blocking people from buying multiple cards from him.

I’m not sure this counts as helping, linus

The Konami code isn't even something PC gamers would know about, I only ever came into contact with it through the internet. Ask which accent that one barkeeper in Deus Ex had, IMO.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1373609792330076167

Well HardwareUnboxed loses my respect for that opinion.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
It was theverge.com, they deserved it, they have more money than any tech tuber, they have people that know better they just let a clueless intern make a video. It should have been caught in the review process. Goddam cnet wouldn’t release a video that bad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

"The response from the community" included harassing the guy in the video personally, which continues to this day, so that's not great

It was a bad video but I don't think he deserves to get mocked for the rest of his life over it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The PC also wouldn't have turned on as shown, iirc. They did some some off camera fixes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Gin posted:

oh boy YIKESAROO

relatedly, Greg Salazar in a recent video pointed out that the Verge guy failed to screw in one of the four brackets on the AIO, so it really was a bad guide, straight up

___

tangentially: one thing I've never quite seen anyone recommend in "how to build" videos is to have a checklist

the second-to-the-last time I tore down my computer to clean it, I completely forgot to reattach the CPU fan to the cooler/fins, and I only realized this when I'd already built everything back up, so I was so obstinate about not wanting to tear it down again I spent the next 20 minutes trying to reattach the fan and plug it in with everything else already inside the case, which was really difficult because one side of the cooler was right up against the top of the case and there was barely any clearance for my fingers to push the CPU brackets around the fins. It probably would have been faster to take it down/out, but I was too hard-headed

so the last time I did another tear down, this time to install a new CPU, I wrote down the order of the parts as I removed them:

and when I was putting it back together, I went from bottom-to-top, checking it off as I went along, to make sure I didn't forget anything

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

repiv posted:

I don't think he deserves to get mocked for the rest of his life over it

I almost think he deserves it. Since to this day he absolves himself of any wrong doing, and everyone who disagrees is an 'angry nerd who is jealous that they don't have a computer as good as his.'

I saw him streaming Tarkov last year. Which of course he touted as being someone who knew stuff about the game/been playing it for a while. But proceeded to get many fundamental things wrong about it and was basically making rookie mistakes the entire time. Like bringing magazines into a raid that didn't even fit in his gun. It was absolutely fascinating. He also made all kinds of weird excuses for his mistakes too.

I find him in general to be a pretty interesting person. Only because I never ever want to be so out of touch with what's going on around me as he was.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh boy YIKESAROO

relatedly, Greg Salazar in a recent video pointed out that the Verge guy failed to screw in one of the four brackets on the AIO, so it really was a bad guide, straight up

___

tangentially: one thing I've never quite seen anyone recommend in "how to build" videos is to have a checklist

the second-to-the-last time I tore down my computer to clean it, I completely forgot to reattach the CPU fan to the cooler/fins, and I only realized this when I'd already built everything back up, so I was so obstinate about not wanting to tear it down again I spent the next 20 minutes trying to reattach the fan and plug it in with everything else already inside the case, which was really difficult because one side of the cooler was right up against the top of the case and there was barely any clearance for my fingers to push the CPU brackets around the fins. It probably would have been faster to take it down/out, but I was too hard-headed

so the last time I did another tear down, this time to install a new CPU, I wrote down the order of the parts as I removed them:

and when I was putting it back together, I went from bottom-to-top, checking it off as I went along, to make sure I didn't forget anything

I like this approach. Another good one is to put your screws in separate bin buckets in the exact same order so you just pull them out in reverse.

A ton of us (and probably techtube people in general) forget how important something like this is for a new builder. Many of us can just eye check and know if something is missing, and don't need any sort of guide to tear out whatever and put it back, so we forget.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh boy YIKESAROO

___

Whoa that's way too organized for me, just add/remove parts until it works as it's supposed to

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I like this approach. Another good one is to put your screws in separate bin buckets in the exact same order so you just pull them out in reverse.

ice cube trays are pro, but you know those effervescent multivitamins that come in little tubes? i really like recycling those into loose screw holders - the weird quasi-screw top can easily be sealed/opened with one hand, if you do accidentally drop one with no cap you've still got a very good chance of them staying in as the weight is on the bottom and you can keep a few on the go at once.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CaptainPsyko posted:

That's what I thought until I read that you were supposed to be able to notice how similar her name is to "Earth" at which point I changed.

Also weird to see goons defending the flaming of that Verge video. Anybody failing a True Verified Geek test on The Verge or it's network of affiliated sites gets hounded to death by 4chan & Friends because angry reactionary men on the internet hate that the editors of that blog network have a culture war opinion about diversity being good and aren't afraid to say so. It's just an echo of the exact same poo poo we saw over Polygon videos of Dean Takahashi playing Cuphead poorly and still getting poo poo for it years later.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He's right though Lol

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

ice cube trays are pro, but you know those effervescent multivitamins that come in little tubes? i really like recycling those into loose screw holders - the weird quasi-screw top can easily be sealed/opened with one hand, if you do accidentally drop one with no cap you've still got a very good chance of them staying in as the weight is on the bottom and you can keep a few on the go at once.

You can also shove some magnetic tape in the bottom as long as you use magnetic drivers or have tiny fingers.

:science:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Raygereio posted:

Apparently you needed to actually watch the content. Linus said what the link was in the middle of a video.

I usually listen to these while working, so I guess I missed it. I saw that big long note halfway through, but I thought that was about something else.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

the verge video was bad, but defending kyle's minstrel act as "the only good response" is alarming

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

That's what I thought until I read that you were supposed to be able to notice how similar her name is to "Earth" at which point I changed.

Also weird to see goons defending the flaming of that Verge video. Anybody failing a True Verified Geek test on The Verge or it's network of affiliated sites gets hounded to death by 4chan & Friends because angry reactionary men on the internet hate that the editors of that blog network have a culture war opinion about diversity being good and aren't afraid to say so. It's just an echo of the exact same poo poo we saw over Polygon videos of Dean Takahashi playing Cuphead poorly and still getting poo poo for it years later.

i'm okay asking if the polygon staffer who couldn't move the camera without ten seconds of delay in doom 2016 is neurologically healthy

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

The Verge build video was indefensibly awful and you do not have to like something just because the wrong people also dislike it.

Edit: and I'm not saying it's right to harass the guy about it years afterwards, just that you don't gotta hand it to him for his absolutely terrible PC building disinformation video that happened to make chuds (who are mad at everything) mad

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 24, 2021

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

The Verge build video was indefensibly awful and you do not have to like something just because the wrong people also dislike it.
The Verge video sucked. The dude who presented it dismissing all criticism of it as racism sucked. A lot of the reaction videos, especially the one with Bitwit's racist gimmick, sucked. And people who still make dumb memes and harass the Verge-dude about it 2 years later also suck.
This isn't a zero sum game where if one side is bad, the other side has to be good.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm not saying it's right to harass the guy about it years afterwards, just that you don't gotta hand it to him for his absolutely terrible PC building

I'm not handing it to him, but the only people who really deserved poo poo was that guy who basically told off GN Steve.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Craptacular! posted:

Harassment sucks, but criticism isn't harassment. That Verge vid deserved to be criticized, because it was so bad that an uninformed viewer (the audience they were going for, it was how to build your first PC) could easily destroy parts trying to follow it. Their good opinions about diversity or whatever have zero bearing on that. Them DCMAing other channels over it was a poo poo move that was just as bad as any harassment. "People were mean to me on the internet, so I'm gonna gently caress with their livelyhoods." Nah, they can go gently caress themselves.

Dean Takahashi is way different because he isn't really harming anyone by writing videogame reviews. OTOH the fact that he sucks at them, and has a documented history of loving up factual information about the games in his reviews, is relevant information to the quality/applicability of his take. It's unfortunate for him that the Cuphead thing happened during gamergate and 4chan shitheads were looking for games journalists to harass, even guys they'd never heard of who writes reviews for a financial biz website. OTOH the opinion that Dean Takahashi is bad at games and his reviews are poor does not make someone the devil.

Tarring by association with 4chan shitheads is mega dumb. 4channers don't jump off bridges, therefore you should go jump off a bridge!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah, you shouldn't defend people who give terrible advice and show no remorse for doing so. Which other people criticize them or how isn't really relevant. That Verge video is an absolute joke that did more harm than good to getting new people into building PCs, and I've yet to see any evidence that Dean Takahashi has anything to offer as a gamer reviewer. It doesn't matter if your local KKK chapter calls for the Verge guy to be lynched, you can call out that behavior while still acknowledging that that video was godawful. A lot of the criticism both of them got was well-deserved and accurate. I'm all in favor of forgiving people when they admit they hosed up and show a pattern of improved behavior, but that's not the case for either of those sources and as such they still deserve the mockery they receive.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

an actual dog posted:

He's right though Lol

Try watching the Bitwit video where he "roasts" the Verge video with his irritating racist Asian persona. loving annoying and makes my ears bleed. gently caress hardware unboxed for supporting that bullshit.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

^^^ Agreed, and it shouldn't be a controversial opinion. ^^^

K8.0 posted:

That Verge video is an absolute joke that did more harm than good
I don't know about that. I'm still laughing my rear end off at it two years later.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 24, 2021

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Of course insufferable online nerds are insufferable online nerds, but aside from that, one of the reasons the Verge video got a lot of traction because it wasn't just a 'bad build', it was so bizarrely wrong from just the perspective of getting the 'human being who has never put an Ikea desk before' to host it. There's not knowing DIY PC's well enough, then there's just apparently not having experience with you know, everyday objects

"So, you need to put this equipment together that uses screws. What you need is a swiss army knife, which if you're lucky, has a screwdriver"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Try watching the Bitwit video where he "roasts" the Verge video with his irritating racist Asian persona. loving annoying and makes my ears bleed. gently caress hardware unboxed for supporting that bullshit.

I hadn't watched it so I recall my statement Lol

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I found bitwit annoying enough that I wasn't watching him before I knew about the asian thing, so looking up his reaction vid was the first I've seen of it. Its even worse than I imagined.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

"So, you need to put this equipment together that uses screws. What you need is a swiss army knife, which if you're lucky, has a screwdriver"

Calling zip ties "tweezers" is another favorite in this vain

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Watced the bitwit reaction video. I chuckled at parts. Guess I'm not woke enough :colbert:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BitWit seems like a piece of poo poo and I remember watching one of the videos he did with his now ex wife and getting a bad vibe from it, like she wasn't exactly doing it willingly, let's say. Not saying he threatened her or anything but she didn't want to be there. Plus his Lyle act. I think he's certainly capable of being a funny guy, but lots of comedians are lovely people, too. It is a bit disheartening to see tech tubers I like who don't seem to have a problem with that.

Of course insufferable online nerds are insufferable online nerds, but aside from that, one of the reasons the Verge video got a lot of traction because it wasn't just a 'bad build', it was so bizarrely wrong from just the perspective of getting the 'human being who has never put an Ikea desk before' to host it. There's not knowing DIY PC's well enough, then there's just apparently not having experience with you know, everyday objects

It would definitely be possible to make a video where someone who has no idea what they're doing builds a computer wrong as a joke, for the comedy value and then maybe go through and explain all the mistakes and how to fix them. In fact I'm pretty sure Linus has done that a couple times (or Steve reviewing the Walmart PC). That's not what the Verge did, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Considering the fact that Kyle himself is Asian I guess it helps but at best puts him in the territory of Chris Rock.

For what it's worth I'm a white guy who often makes fun of the types of food white people consider good so maybe I'm in the same league.