Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Since Sherlock Holmes: Devil's Daughter goes on a deep sale quite often I finally decided to try it despite poor reviews. I'd say that the main criticism - over-reliance on mini games - is true but the game lets you skip them pretty much immediately with no consequence (other than missing out on some cheevos). I was even fine with them until the extended sequence where Holmes goes on a lovely Tomb Raider adventure IN HIS IMAGINATION and cliche trap puzzles get really bad.

On another hand good things from Crime and Punishment are still here - investigations, deductions, using chemistry set and archives (actual good uses of mini games), interviewing suspects etc. You still can accuse the wrong person and decide whether to go harsh or easy on them. Cases are pretty decent although the second one (which sadly is also saddled with the worst sequence) goes too heavy on red herrings and I think it might not actually make loving sense if you think about it. Still, if you liked the previous game I would recommend this one on discount. The worst thing about it is easily solvable (just skip poo poo that tries your patience) and it's pretty good outside of that. Half assed fake exorcism scene is pretty brilliant. :lol: at that overdesigned Sherlock outfit though, fortunately you can just choose to wear a normal suit.

Now I'm worried since I am tempted by the Testament of Sherlock Holmes since this game has a plot continuation from that. But it looks like it's from the more awkward era of Frogwares Sherlock games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

sad question posted:

Since Sherlock Holmes: Devil's Daughter goes on a deep sale quite often I finally decided to try it despite poor reviews. I'd say that the main criticism - over-reliance on mini games - is true but the game lets you skip them pretty much immediately with no consequence (other than missing out on some cheevos). I was even fine with them until the extended sequence where Holmes goes on a lovely Tomb Raider adventure IN HIS IMAGINATION and cliche trap puzzles get really bad.

On another hand good things from Crime and Punishment are still here - investigations, deductions, using chemistry set and archives (actual good uses of mini games), interviewing suspects etc. You still can accuse the wrong person and decide whether to go harsh or easy on them. Cases are pretty decent although the second one (which sadly is also saddled with the worst sequence) goes too heavy on red herrings and I think it might not actually make loving sense if you think about it. Still, if you liked the previous game I would recommend this one on discount. The worst thing about it is easily solvable (just skip poo poo that tries your patience) and it's pretty good outside of that. Half assed fake exorcism scene is pretty brilliant. :lol: at that overdesigned Sherlock outfit though, fortunately you can just choose to wear a normal suit.

Now I'm worried since I am tempted by the Testament of Sherlock Holmes since this game has a plot continuation from that. But it looks like it's from the more awkward era of Frogwares Sherlock games...

Testament is suuuuuuuper awkward. If you can struggle past the lurching gameplay, though, the plot and puzzles are pretty good! :v:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm thinking of picking up some Hunter reserves while they're on sale... the ones I don't have are Cuatro Colinas, Silver Ridge Peaks, Yukon Valley, Vurhonga, and Te Awaroa. Any obvious recommendations or anti-recommendations among those? It looks like Yukon has the highest reviews, the rest are all pretty mixed, and apparently Te Awaroa was kinda cut & pastey?

Of those the only one I've really played is Vurhonga and I'd warn you that it's a very tough reserve to traverse if you don't have the ATV. It's huge and there are nowhere near enough fast travel points.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Anyone have a cheap microphone recommendation? Sound quality doesn't matter, just needs to be reasonably small and decent at not picking up background noise/feedback. Looking for something basic to use for voice in games and I don't like wearing things over my ears for long periods.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Push to talk with a desktop mic.

https://www.amazon.com/TKGOU-USB-PC...16592055&sr=8-5

I was getting some strange static. A buddy recommended wrapping it in foil. It now works perfectly and looks terrible.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 24, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If that's all that you need, then basically anything you can find on Amazon in the 20$ range is more than good enough. No need to look for any specific brands or models, really. This one here is currently almost 75% off from 50$ to 16$ and should do everything you need: https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B077...truments&sr=1-3

I own a similar one and the flexible neck makes them pretty convenient to position and also fold up out of the way when you're not using it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

bamhand posted:

Anyone have a cheap microphone recommendation? Sound quality doesn't matter, just needs to be reasonably small and decent at not picking up background noise/feedback. Looking for something basic to use for voice in games and I don't like wearing things over my ears for long periods.

No such thing. Get some headphones that don't suck or start wearing canalphones.

Aside from that, yes, almost any desk mic will do, BUT you will need vibration dampening or you will sound obnoxious to everyone. You can buy a fancy mic mount, or you can just throw a cheap layer or two of packing foam under the mic stand and that will do perfectly well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nvidia's RTX voice stuff does really good at cutting background noise if you have a last two gens card from them. You can also make it work on older cards without too much of a performance hit and I think maybe the second release of it works on AMD too? Don't quote me on that.

It occasionally also mistakes some peoples voice as background noise depending on some poo poo so it doesn't work for everyone or you'll have to speak up, but it's a neat piece of tech.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

So Rainbow 6 Siege is pretty drat fun, but it was definitely the right decision to get a sale version with some operators because the grind can be p slow otherwise. Don't really care for needing Ubisoft connect though

Is there a dedicated thread for the game that's still reasonably active?

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882450

Thread's here. It's not all that active these days, sometimes around operator releases or other content drops but it's one of those things where it's kind of all been said and the people still playing it are just playing, not posting.

They're usually happy to help new people out though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just reinstalled Siege too for some reason, it's been ~3 years so I'm fully expecting to get votekicked or shot in the head by my teammates for choosing a noob vanilla class or something since I have no DLC and no idea what new operators there are. Honestly I'd be fine just sticking to co-op terrorist hunt and shooting bots with my friends if it came down to it.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Big squeenix sale on now.

I'm lmaoing at the big AAA avengers game selling less than octopath, FF15, and a tomb raider game from 2016

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

drat horror queefs posted:

Big squeenix sale on now.

I'm lmaoing at the big AAA avengers game selling less than octopath, FF15, and a tomb raider game from 2016

I ended up filling out my Final Fantasy collection and picking up a couple Saga games. Good sale tbh, and only reason I held off picking up Octopath was that it's coming to game pass soon and I will just play it on the xbox.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Nutt posted:

I ended up filling out my Final Fantasy collection and picking up a couple Saga games. Good sale tbh, and only reason I held off picking up Octopath was that it's coming to game pass soon and I will just play it on the xbox.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, is Type-O worth a shot at $15? I never got a chance to play it on PSP a decade ago.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasy, is Type-O worth a shot at $15? I never got a chance to play it on PSP a decade ago.

I haven't played it past the tutorial, but I know I've heard some folks say it does some interesting things for a Final Fantasy title, although it's generally been mixed reviews at best.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pentyne posted:

The thing about making a small indie game based on a almost 30 year old niche anime is its either got to be a great game that requires no knowledge of the series or it should be really in depth fanfic of the series with tons of references and callbacks.

You either want people who want to play a good game, or people who just want to play a Lodoss game, hopefully both but that's a lot of work

And yeah. I knew going into it I wasn’t goi g to know what lore it’s based on... but it’s really essentially very quick family guy callback references. I was OK with that because I just wanted a fun Castlevania-lite and it does that well enough and surprisingly so, but very short and not very in-depth. Bloodstained ticked that box way harder

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What's the best single player Final Fantasy out of 9-15?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

9 and 10 are the last of the classic Final Fantasies and IMO better than anything that came after, but they're not the strongest games in the original series.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kennel posted:

I would say probably Final Fantasy XII since it finally got patched to parity with the Xbox version with respeccing included. The X/X2 port is extremely solid though and one of these days I will sit down and play those.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

X and X-2 but you will find someone willing to argue for literally all options itt

I'm guessing the 2018 Fear Effect game that's 90% off is utter poo poo?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Nutt posted:

I haven't played it past the tutorial, but I know I've heard some folks say it does some interesting things for a Final Fantasy title, although it's generally been mixed reviews at best.

I've heard it has more of an adult theme like brutal wars with chocobos loving people up on the battlefield and such. If that is actually true it could be an interesting change of pace.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

9 is the best of the old school FFs

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kennel posted:

9, 12, 10 in that order imo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kennel posted:

X and X-2.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kennel posted:

9 is the best of the whole series, imo

X and X-2 are a close second, I really like the battle system in those games, and they have some fun world-building.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kennel posted:

Lightning Returns, with X-2 as a close second.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Kennel posted:

You're going to get so many conflicting opinions on this, which is probably a good sign because they're all good (although I can't vouch for the XIII series).

9 is my personal favourite though. Even when I replayed it a few years ago, its still as charming as I remember it being when I was a kid.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
As someone who enjoys a lot of things about XIII I doubt anyone is going to list that one as their favorite. It’s a great battle system shackled to a bad game and really doesn’t get a chance to shine until the last few fights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
type-0 isn't what i would call a great game by any means, but the story and setting are so unbelievably stupid that they almost wrap back around to good. almost.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The best FF is the one you played when you were younger.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That and the GBA release of FF5.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Apologies if this exact analogy has been drawn before or is just too obvious to bear repeating, but it occurred to me today that the current (and increasing) trend toward subscription services and walled gardens which offer "free (but almost never complete) games" is not a new idea at all even in the realm of PC gaming but merely a revival (but worse) of the old idea of shareware. I say "worse" because old-school shareware didn't usually charge you for the demo (and if it did at least gave you a physical product e.g. a box/disk or magazine), and was upfront about being essentially 'the first hit is free' adware for the real game, whereas Microsoft, EA, et al charge you a subscription for the privilege of access to glorified demos for their actual product: expensive DLC.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 24, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh gently caress me I forgot to mention Chrono Trigger. I know it's not really a Final Fantasy but it was patched into being a good port on Steam and is a perfectly fine way to play it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imagined posted:

Apologies if this exact analogy has been drawn before or is it just too obvious to bear repeating, but it occurred to me today that the current (and increasing) trend toward subscription services and walled gardens which offer "free (but almost never complete) games" is not a new idea at all even in the realm of PC gaming but merely a revival (but worse) of the old idea of shareware. I say "worse" because old-school shareware didn't usually charge you for the demo (and if it did at least gave you a physical product e.g. a box/disk or magazine), and was upfront about being essentially 'the first hit is free' adware for the real game, whereas Microsoft, EA, et al charge you a subscription for the privilege of access to glorified demos for their actual product: expensive DLC.

I don't think that plays, honestly. I've subbed to all of the major publisher subscriptions at one point or another and played the entire amount of every game I wanted to play on them without paying anything else, barring the sub rolling over. Pretty much all of the publisher subscriptions give you either the deluxe or the ultrafancy everything digital editions which gives you the various DLC etc.

Ironically the one that does not, at least with some games, Game Pass, is still ridiculously good value because it frequently lets me play games that I was iffy on buying myself that I've enjoyed and gone on to buy the base game and DLCs of later on.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 24, 2021

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Type-0 has two major issues with it, barring my major gripe of "the game expects a NG+ run to conclude the story in any way other than apocalypse"

A) every character has their own special weapon/skills, which means that sometimes the game will let you take in a party who can't attack or target enemies if they're flying above or off to the side of traversible space (or, in the final dungeon, who will just instantly die when they disobey rules you don't know exist because you put an all physical party on the path that goes MAGES ONLY 4 rooms deep)
B) the Tactical battles are a really lovely RTS and those take way too long for how dull they are, and you do one per chapter as an average.

I do not recommend playing it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Orv posted:

I don't think that plays, honestly. I've subbed to all of the major publisher subscriptions at one point or another and played the entire amount of every game I wanted to play on them without paying anything else, barring the sub rolling over. Pretty much all of the publisher subscriptions give you either the deluxe or the ultrafancy everything digital editions which gives you the various DLC etc.

Ironically the one that does not, Game Pass, is still ridiculously good value because it frequently lets me play games that I was iffy on buying myself that I've enjoyed and gone on to buy the base game and DLCs of later on.

Really? I have noticed the opposite with the Xbox (e.g. Flight Simulator) and EA subscriptions (look at Sims 4, or how many games limit you unless you subscribe to the super duper subscription), and with the games that Epic gives away.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

END ME SCOOB posted:

Type-0 has two major issues with it, barring my major gripe of "the game expects a NG+ run to conclude the story in any way other than apocalypse"

A) every character has their own special weapon/skills, which means that sometimes the game will let you take in a party who can't attack or target enemies if they're flying above or off to the side of traversible space (or, in the final dungeon, who will just instantly die when they disobey rules you don't know exist because you put an all physical party on the path that goes MAGES ONLY 4 rooms deep)
B) the Tactical battles are a really lovely RTS and those take way too long for how dull they are, and you do one per chapter as an average.

I do not recommend playing it.

This is the kind of feedback I appreciate. Hard pass it is then. Thanks!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imagined posted:

Really? I have noticed the opposite with the Xbox (e.g. Flight Simulator) and EA subscriptions (look at Sims 4, or how many games limit you unless you subscribe to the super duper subscription), and with the games that Epic gives away.

I think in the case of EA, and this is very much a lovely piece of reasoning I recognize that, but $5 for every game and every DLC would definitely be way too nice for them to offer. The $15 option does generally have most things, AFAIK and probably in the case of the Sims, since it's one of the few things that they haven't hosed up in recent years, or at least the one people are still buying, that's probably what they're doing there. Which sucks rear end! No argument there.

I can't speak to Flight Sim's DLC but I believe from the beginning their plan was to do the fremium modules like they've been doing with FSX for years, which is a lovely model from the top since it's basically just another "Flight sims are a niche market so we should vastly overcharge for poo poo." Game Pass in general also doesn't include DLCs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wamdoodle posted:

The best FF is the one you played when you were younger.
I can't play games in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

The only subscription I plan to keep in the future is the grandfathered tier of Humble Choice because it's about 60€ every six months for a bunch of monthly games I can keep forever and they're all Steam keys. And I can skip monthly bundles where there's too many games that I don't want or already own.

Game Pass is heavily hurt by Microsoft's decision to use their lovely Windows 10 Store for it. Whenever that thing bugs out and fails to delete a game, it's time to format the drive because MS Store wants to hide its files from your PC and won't let you do anything to them manually. Mods are also not allowed. I did the Xbox Gold conversion to get Game Pass for cheap and it ends in May 2022 but I have barely used it at all this year so it feels like a waste of money to me.

Superanos fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 24, 2021