Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I haven't read much Power Girl and Comixology had a sale on one of her comics so i thought I'd buy it. It collected JSA Classified 1-4 and Power Girl Vol 1-12. In the JSA Classified parts Power Girl is being manipulated by Psycho Pirate on behalf of Lex Luthor for some unknown purpose, with Power Girl looking for her real history. However this is not followed up in the Power Girl 1-12 part of the collection. Is this ever followed up on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

bessantj posted:

I haven't read much Power Girl and Comixology had a sale on one of her comics so i thought I'd buy it. It collected JSA Classified 1-4 and Power Girl Vol 1-12. In the JSA Classified parts Power Girl is being manipulated by Psycho Pirate on behalf of Lex Luthor for some unknown purpose, with Power Girl looking for her real history. However this is not followed up in the Power Girl 1-12 part of the collection. Is this ever followed up on?

It's followed up in Infinite Crisis. Honestly, you can ignore it. Just read Terra 1-4 and Power Girl 1-12.

Then you can read the Harley Quinn and Power Girl stuff later if you'd like.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, if I recall correctly the JSA Classified stuff is Johns trying to do his usual Mr. Fixit stuff on Power Girl's history -- she's not quite Donna Troy or Hawkman level, but she's gone through a bunch of different origin stories over the years. That was the story where she said her costume's tit window was actually symbolic of the gap she felt in her conception of herself, right?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah. "I'll fill the hole when I find my own symbol', or something like that.

EDIT: This.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vandar posted:

It's followed up in Infinite Crisis. Honestly, you can ignore it. Just read Terra 1-4 and Power Girl 1-12.

Then you can read the Harley Quinn and Power Girl stuff later if you'd like.

I wasn't that big a fan of Power Girl 1-12. A lot of it seemed trying to get PG our of her costume and a lot of the stories seemed meh. Was Infinite Crisis any good?

Selachian posted:

Yeah, if I recall correctly the JSA Classified stuff is Johns trying to do his usual Mr. Fixit stuff on Power Girl's history -- she's not quite Donna Troy or Hawkman level, but she's gone through a bunch of different origin stories over the years. That was the story where she said her costume's tit window was actually symbolic of the gap she felt in her conception of herself, right?

Yes, she said she was waiting to think of a symbol like Superman has on his costume. Which doesn't really make that much sense as an excuse for the boob window, but whatever.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

bessantj posted:

I wasn't that big a fan of Power Girl 1-12. A lot of it seemed trying to get PG our of her costume and a lot of the stories seemed meh. Was Infinite Crisis any good?

If you didn't like Peeg 1-12, ignore the rest of my post lol.

As for your question...no. Infinite Crisis is not good. The only thing keeping it from being the worst Crisis story is the fact that Identity Crisis exists.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vandar posted:

As for your question...no. Infinite Crisis is not good. The only thing keeping it from being the worst Crisis story is the fact that Identity Crisis exists.

What about Heroes in Crisis? I heard that was pretty bad

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
the only thing worse than impractical and revealing costumes is when the comic tries to justify them. The closest thing to justifying a dumb costume was The Huntress (by Gail Simone who didn't like the costume either, but editorial mandated it) having a stupid ab window and when asked she said something like "I do 1000 sit-ups a day, I'm not supposed to show that off?"

Which is something none of us could probably do, but reasonable for people spend their life being as fit as possible in order to fight crime.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

What about Heroes in Crisis? I heard that was pretty bad

Goddammit I had managed to wipe that one from my memory. :argh:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vandar posted:

Ah thanks, I shall not bother with it then.

There were some parts I thought were alright in PG 1-12 but not enough to make me think I want to read more of it.

Skwirl posted:

the only thing worse than impractical and revealing costumes is when the comic tries to justify them. The closest thing to justifying a dumb costume was The Huntress (by Gail Simone who didn't like the costume either, but editorial mandated it) having a stupid ab window and when asked she said something like "I do 1000 sit-ups a day, I'm not supposed to show that off?"

Which is something none of us could probably do, but reasonable for people spend their life being as fit as possible in order to fight crime.

Reminds me of a story Kenneth Branagh told about the first Thor movie. He went to see Chris Hemsworth and said that he didn't feel there was a need for him to talk his shirt off if he didn't want to. To which Hemsworth relied "Of course I'm going to take my loving shirt off I've been working out for nine months."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

Ah thanks, I shall not bother with it then.

There were some parts I thought were alright in PG 1-12 but not enough to make me think I want to read more of it.

Reminds me of a story Kenneth Branagh told about the first Thor movie. He went to see Chris Hemsworth and said that he didn't feel there was a need for him to talk his shirt off if he didn't want to. To which Hemsworth relied "Of course I'm going to take my loving shirt off I've been working out for nine months."

He's only in it for like a minute, but Hemsworth plays Kirk's dad in the JJ Abrams Star Trek reboot and even from that minute you can tell he did a lot of working out between filming that and Thor 1.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The build up to Infinite Crisis is better than the actual event, and the aftermath of Infinite Crisis (52) is excellent. I don't had Infinite Crisis as much as other people do but I wouldn't say it's good either.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

The build up to Infinite Crisis is better than the actual event, and the aftermath of Infinite Crisis (52) is excellent. I don't had Infinite Crisis as much as other people do but I wouldn't say it's good either.

The build up was amazing with one "Holy poo poo!" twist after another. Then the story itself came out and it didn't know what it wanted to be, undercut its own themes, and then wound up sputtering to a meaningless conclusion. But 52 was great and so were a lot of the One Year Later relaunches.

In conclusion, Infinite Crisis is a land of contrasts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'd caveat that by saying that it's when they try and justify it beyond what it is. Stuff like that Power Girl page is dumb as gently caress. The Huntress example, and say, Emma Frost in X-Men, being women basically saying "I'm hot as hell and it makes me feel good to show that"... is still gonna be a tad iffy as most of the time the design was made by men for the male gaze, but it at least tries to reframe it and give the character agency over it, and in moderation is, I think, generally a good thing because it's a counter to slut-shaming the characters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Emma Frost can dress however the gently caress she wants, she is like the one exception to the dumb costume rule.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Edge & Christian posted:

It's hard to say based on the sort of general description but you could try browsing through Mike's Amazing World of Comics's newsstand browser to see if any of the covers jump out at you.

DC didn't publish a *ton* of team books in that period, and the Justice League of that period generally had most/all of the A-List Super Friends on it, but maybe check out the Legion of Superheroes books? Or this short-lived All-Star Squadron revival whose cover kind of seems similar to what you described?

Thank you for this! Regardless of whether or not I find my Questing Beast, I'll enjoy hunting for it. This is a great resource. Cheers!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Thank you for this! Regardless of whether or not I find my Questing Beast, I'll enjoy hunting for it. This is a great resource. Cheers!
Let us know if you find it, I'm curious about who these b-listers that got wrecked were!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Huntress' previous costume was fine but Jim Lee going to stick somebody in booty shorts with their midriff out if he feels like it. I believe it was for the first Hush story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Huntress' previous costume was fine but Jim Lee going to stick somebody in booty shorts with their midriff out if he feels like it. I believe it was for the first Hush story.

Story goes Simone was told Jim Lee insisted on the costume then when she asked him about years later he said he had no idea and wouldn't have cared. I think it was just Lee drew a sexy doodle and someone else in editorial used his name to enforce it.

As Simone said later, Ed Benes was drawing it, it was gonna be sexy anyways.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

As Simone said later, Ed Benes was drawing it, it was gonna be sexy anyways.

I have a shameful lack of knowledge of comic book artists so i don't really have reference for what Benes's art is like. I'll just Google it.

Oh wow, even when he covers the torso up the costume looks like body paint.

EDIT: Oh that reminded me, in part of the PG book I bought there's a scene where Peeg and Terra are at a movie. They leave and an emergency happens, Peeg tells Terra to change into her costume but Terra doesn't wear hers under her civilian clothes so she just takes her skirt off and fights the bad guys in her top and knickers.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 12, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

I have a shameful lack of knowledge of comic book artists so i don't really have reference for what Benes's art is like. I'll just Google it.

Oh wow, even when he covers the torso up the costume looks like body paint.

Yeah. He's a talented artist but he definitely has a niche.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do think Benes certainly can put said niche to good use. He drew a long stretch of Gen13 when Adam Warren was writing and if you wanted a book to be drawn by Ed, that was probably the one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I do think Benes certainly can put said niche to good use. He drew a long stretch of Gen13 when Adam Warren was writing and if you wanted a book to be drawn by Ed, that was probably the one.

I mean, at that point just have Warren draw it himself.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I worked through a chronological reading order of what I have for Infinite Crisis and the build up really was great. A lot of tie ins are really not essential but it’s still a pretty cool atmosphere throughout the books with Omacs and crazy magic and space shenanigans happening everywhere.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Skwirl posted:

Emma Frost can dress however the gently caress she wants, she is like the one exception to the dumb costume rule.

I have a fair amount of Emma Frost stuff and every time my son notices it he always says "that's an inappropriate costume for a teacher"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, at that point just have Warren draw it himself.

The secret is Warren doesn’t like drawing very much.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What's the best way to read junji ito's stuff? Is there a preferred omnibus or collection out there?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Call me old fashioned, but I'd say finding a random copy at an abandoned bus station at two in the morning and reading it by a flickering yellow light bulb.

Sorry, don't have a helpful answer for you.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I know there’s a fantastic omnibus of Spiral. I bought it for my daughter a couple years ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What's the best way to read junji ito's stuff? Is there a preferred omnibus or collection out there?
Right to left usually works best.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

There isn't really an omnibus so if you want to read his stuff just pick a book and go from there. Unlike some famous mangaka his stuff is all available digitally so if you can I would recommend going that way since it is much cheaper and easier to read since you aren't trying to lug around a 700 page book.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Right to left usually works best.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

VIZ has started collecting his stories in hardcover format. Here's an overview: https://www.viz.com/read/junji-ito/section/60350/more

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love my Junji Ito hardcovers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I just read the 2004 Warlock mini-series by Greg Pak. Meh. But does Lady Warlock ever show up again? I kinda feel like it's an idea that got dropped so fast, especially with Annihilation happening two years later..

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/813/warlock_2004_1

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

I just read the 2004 Warlock mini-series by Greg Pak. Meh. But does Lady Warlock ever show up again? I kinda feel like it's an idea that got dropped so fast, especially with Annihilation happening two years later..

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/813/warlock_2004_1

I haven't read the series, but are you referring to Her aka Ayesha aka Kismet aka Paragon? She's the female version of Adam Warlock who was made by the same people he was because they didn't learn their lesson the first time around. She's been a D-lister bouncing around forever and whenever she does turn up the writer doesn't realize that she's already picked out a name other than Her so they give her a new one. Her best(?) use was in Quasar where she was a supporting cast member for a while. She also is in the second Guadians of the Galaxy movie, reworked to be the leader of the fold aliens. Not much of a surprise since Gunn seemed to like his deep cuts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Doesn't seem to be the same character. Found Kismet on Marvel.com and they list Janie Chin (this character) as a relative, and there's no page for Janie Chin on the website.

https://marvel-warlock.fandom.com/wiki/Janie_Chin

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish Morrison hadn't cut ties with Marvel because him writing the cosmic stuff, especially Adam Warlock, would be fun

Is that mini series any good? I usually like Greg Pak's stuff

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Meh. It's weird cause it doesn't seem to link to the larger Marvel Universe until the end and that's kinda unsatisfying. And it doesn't appear to have gone anywhere.

It was 4 issues on Marvel Unlimited and took me like 30 minutes to read, so if you're interested...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wish Morrison hadn't cut ties with Marvel because him writing the cosmic stuff, especially Adam Warlock, would be fun

A proper FF run by Morrison is one of my dream runs