Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Neurolimal posted:

It's less "kids wouldn't idolize them!" and more that actually depicting it on film gives the result a sharper edge. Kids idolized Stallone, a vietnamese kid popping out and saying "Can I be as cool as you when I grow up mr. Rambo?" would obviously have people assuming the movie is making a statement...

He's not Vietnamese, but in Rambo III there is that kid from Afghanistan that follows Rambo around and helps him out and thinks Rambo is pretty cool for all the russians he's murdering, so...

Personally, if I were a child about to be murdered by terrorists and somebody swooped in at the last minute to save me and paste the terrorists, I 'd think that person was pretty loving cool actually.

terrible snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

I still maintain Hillary supporters should've been referred to as "hill folk"

Hilltops.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Hilltops.

I'm more of a hill-bottom

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

garycoleisgod posted:

terrible snype

Naw it's good actually

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

2house2fly posted:

I gained a cool rear end movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

smoobles posted:

the funniest part of this exchange was the fact that it happened right after WW exploded a guy into pink mist in front of everyone

that little girl is a sociopath.

That's just how kids are drop what you're doing and watch Psycho Goreman

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

but ohhhh noooooooo 70 million dollars were spent

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Money is fake anyways, if it gets a movie made and keeps actors/camera crews/VFX/etc employed then good on them. Same reason I can't hate the Adam Sandler vacation vehicles.

garycoleisgod posted:

He's not Vietnamese, but in Rambo III there is that kid from Afghanistan that follows Rambo around and helps him out and thinks Rambo is pretty cool for all the russians he's murdering, so...

Well, Rambo 3 in general was making a statement, a very stupid one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The whole scene is very discomforting. Basically the movies opening action scene is WW murdering these terrorists and then smiling about it to the kids. She leaves visible bloody marks on the walls where she uses her powers unrestrained to just crush skulls and vaporize the one guy with her gauntlets.

Kids cheer. Just a really weird tone.

That man deserved to die.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

That's just how kids are drop what you're doing and watch Psycho Goreman

Also yep lmao.

Anyone who slights Mimi should not be listened too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Blood Boils posted:

That poor reactionary :cry: he just wanted to return Europe to the good old days

I get not liking Gal Gadot as a person but the character of WW is a pagan Greek demigod who is quite emphatic to others. Like if she starts sniping children at recess cuz their wrongfully imprisoned fathers went on a hunger strike in prison, then sure that's some Israeli soldier coding. But otherwise it's just a bad reading

Wait til you see WW84 they have a scene where thank God she's there to rescue these idiot backwards Arab children who are playing in the middle of a street as like an active battle is happening around them with rocket fire and stuff. Also features "the king of Egypt" but somehow around in the year 1984. gently caress that movie.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

but ohhhh noooooooo 70 million dollars were spent

Won't someone think of the children indie films!?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If your life has taken you to a point where you’re willing to personally bomb a bunch of children I’m very okay with the idea of you not being able to make decisions anymore.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McCloud posted:

This is so funny because like gently caress WB was gonna make a lowbudget indie lmao.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

McCloud posted:

Disney is already in preproduction for Indie 5

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I know that guy was not the Clock King but I'm going to say he was the Clock King

An extended ultimate cut of Justice League that's the same movie but he introduces himself as James Olsen, whose son Jimmy was killed because of badly handled CIA surveillance tech just so Jimmy Olsen getting fuckin' owned can extend to his entire family instead of just him.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont think people who have reached a point where they are willing to commit suicide are entirely of sound mind in a way that merits giving them the death penalty if they can be disarmed & apprehended.

The good news is that Wonder Woman doesn't have to be the avatar of my own personal morals, she can be her own flawed character, and the movie can utilize that flawed character to drive home a point (in this case, Snyder's severe distate of right-wing reactionaries).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The guy was gonna shoot children.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm against the desert penalty as imposed by the state, but I'm for it as imposed by an Amazon goddess

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm against the desert penalty as imposed by the state, but I'm for it as imposed by an Amazon goddess

Does the state have a magical truth-telling lasso? No!?! Well then step aside, chumps!

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
When rich people spend millions on NFTs (like the first tweet ever was sold for ~4 million) and poo poo like NBA topshots (its basically buying links to a GIF on a blockchain), complaining about spending 70mil on reshoots just make me go "whatever, who gives a poo poo".

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Im confident that most of the drama surrounding Snyder as a filmmaker can be addressed with "whatever, who gives a poo poo".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Another originally grey character Beast was turned blue when they found out it was cheaper to print blue than grey

Wait, what? I don't see how that can be true. If the book was in color back then it was still done with CMYK so you'd still need 4 plates regardless or what's grey, blue, green or whatever.

And most costumes in superhero comics from back then generally tried to use color combinations that could be built with a mix of any 2 of those colors max (yellow and magenta for orange, yellow and cyan for green, etc) due to the lovely quality of the paper and how hard it was to print good color on it.

It's why you can see many halftone dots and mis-registered colors in old comics. It's no accident that Superman is very close to cyan, magenta and yellow.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im confident that most of the drama surrounding Snyder as a filmmaker can be addressed with "whatever, who gives a poo poo".

I think the raucous success of ZSJL should be proof to everybody that these internet nerd culture squabbles do not mean anything to anyone.

When I talk to people who aren’t extremely online about Snyder films, most of them like them, and the ones that don’t have reasons completely unrelated to what the big online complaints are. Like, my dad hated Man of Steel because “it took too long to get to Superman” but loved BvS.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Neurolimal posted:

Money is fake anyways, if it gets a movie made and keeps actors/camera crews/VFX/etc employed then good on them. Same reason I can't hate the Adam Sandler vacation vehicles.

Well, Rambo 3 in general was making a statement, a very stupid one.

If you think that was a statement just wait till you watch “The Beast” where the Russians execute an Afghani villager via tank tread in like, the first ten minutes of the movie

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I don't really care about Wonder Woman killing the guy but I was literally losing my mind with the corny interaction with the one little girl.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't really care about Wonder Woman killing the guy but I was literally losing my mind with the corny interaction with the one little girl.

If Snyder didn't put that in there, people would just complain about Wonder Woman not comforting the victims afterward.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I want to be clear, I don't have an issue with the action in the scene. I don't have an issue with her just straight murdering those guys, Gods can't be bothered to care that much about mortals (I think thats generally a through line in many Superman/Wonder Woman stories) it's just presented in a tonally odd way was all I was trying to get across, there is only wonder, not a single bit of horror from anyone in the scene (and its a p horrific scene).

These aren't folks used to horrific things on a daily basis like children in war zones, they're explicitly some bougie rich kids who have likely never been threatened before and not a single one is upset about it?

Dudes had it coming, just given in every other movie of this trilogy the horrific bits are treated as horrific, I don't really get why they aren't in this one specific scene.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I actually like that they didn't have her say the mealy mouthed response of "of course you can be like me." Someone framed it earlier, but that dialogue rings alot more true when it's said after destroying men trying to uphold the patriarchy.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

I personally think the way Gal Gadot delivers the “You can be anything you want to be” line is pretty awesome

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The other kids look pretty traumatized actually. That girl gets some focus because she’s the hardass who isn’t, and also because it’s funny

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Watch some South Korean films to learn that weird tonal whiplashes are fuckin dope and should be more prevalent.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

The other kids look pretty traumatized actually. That girl gets some focus because she’s the hardass who isn’t, and also because it’s funny

I would almost say the opposite, when all the other girls are standing up, she's the one who stays seated and seems the most overwhelmed. But yeah all the kids are pretty subdued with a few awkward smiles, presumably they were all in shock and just relieved that their lives weren't in danger any longer.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Wonder Woman killing the fascists is great, and the girl is cool for supporting it.

At the same time, people have missed the fact that Superman doesn’t “go crazy.” He remembers most of what happened and, from his point of view, he’s woken up in a horrible future dystopia. “If you seek your monument, look around you!” He’s surrounded by cops, and even the fuckin ‘ Off-Brand Avengers are there. He’s very lucidly pissed at them, until they give him a reason to spare them.

People have largely forgotten that everything in the lead-up to Justice League was about the Justice League being a terrible idea. Wayne stole the idea from Lex Luthor and collaborated with the NSA to make it happen. More importantly, Snyder typically uses slow motion to depict a distorted vision of reality. Watchmen has a lot, BVS features a little, Man Of Steel features none, and Justice League is chock full of it again.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 24, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Who watches the Watchmen? You do. And you'll cheer for them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh cool, now I'm going to have to rewatch these movies again and pay (more) attention to the slow mo, lmao

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Does the state have a magical truth-telling lasso? No!?!

No, despite Moulton's efforts.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Isn't the only slow mo in BvS the Wayne's murder?

I remember it being notable that there is none in MoS

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I think there's a little in the car chase, at least when he hits the boat. And superman's cape in that same event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

Isn't the only slow mo in BvS the Wayne's murder?

There are a few instances - most prominently during the batmobile chase.