Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

gently caress Fiora I hate her. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

monky

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

The labs kind of suck. Fairly certain the AI cheats when you reach Thresh, on account of him being able to draw the card that does 3 damage to any unit you summoned this round, every single time you manage to draw enough units to do some good damage. The first two times I could call coincidence, but several more after that means it's not playing fair.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I've got 3-4 wins per character at this point, pretty sure the AI doesn't cheat.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Neuronyx posted:

The labs kind of suck. Fairly certain the AI cheats when you reach Thresh, on account of him being able to draw the card that does 3 damage to any unit you summoned this round, every single time you manage to draw enough units to do some good damage. The first two times I could call coincidence, but several more after that means it's not playing fair.

Never really have a problem with Thresh. But you could get Nab and just steal his cards instead.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

remember the box is thresh's champ spell so if he is on the board any extra threshes also turn into boxes

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
... People are losing to thresh?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i lost to thresh once. his deck says it is mono si but if you let him start pulling champs he will pull tryndamere and poo poo iirc

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Neuronyx posted:

It doesn't cheat but the AI decks can be a bit "NO FUN ALLOWED" at times. The decks are fairly small though so depending on what round it was the odds of it holding at least one copy of the box could be pretty high. What champ have you been playing?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

... People are losing to thresh?
I think spiders is the only deck I've not lost at least one game to, starting with a shite deck and then being forced to add random cards to it can be an incredible combination if your luck is bad :v:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If thresh levels up it's harsh.

AI is def fun police because if you don't smash it down hard, it snowballs and you'll lose. Especially over rounds because of the life carry over.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Pilchenstein posted:

It doesn't cheat but the AI decks can be a bit "NO FUN ALLOWED" at times. The decks are fairly small though so depending on what round it was the odds of it holding at least one copy of the box could be pretty high. What champ have you been playing?

I think spiders is the only deck I've not lost at least one game to, starting with a shite deck and then being forced to add random cards to it can be an incredible combination if your luck is bad :v:

I've tried Lulu, Braum and Hecarim so far. "NO FUN ALLOWED" sounds about right, loving skeleton.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

try lucian. he is easy mode.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Awesome! posted:

try lucian. he is easy mode.

Yeah Aphelios + any mana boost, spell or created card cost reduction, or permanent buffs is the consistently strongest but Lucian is way faster and less complicated to win with. The other champs have a chance of losing unless you get one of their key abilities.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Lucian, Riven and MF all have such powerful early tempo that the AI will rarely get to play a card before they die until they start to have 30 health.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Lucian, Riven and MF all have such powerful early tempo that the AI will rarely get to play a card before they die until they start to have 30 health.

And by which point you'll have things like 1 cost scout MF with rally every turn and so on.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Appreciate all the tips, peeps.

This would be easier if I liked any of these characters, how come it's such a random assortment and not, I dunno, actually popular champs?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neuronyx posted:

This would be easier if I liked any of these characters, how come it's such a random assortment and not, I dunno, actually popular champs?

Aphelios at least is really popular. I don't think the others hang around in the meta too much but smarter people than me can probably tell you different.

Another champion tip, tf you play Hecarim reload for the trait that gives you an Ephemeral Sapling. It's good to always start with a free unit (that can get something like +2/+2 later on if you're lucky) and Hec likes it when they die.

My hardest deck is generally the Foundry. it always feels like it has the right stuff to bog me down and plant a punch of mushrooms so I go into the turret board with like 12 health.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Neuronyx posted:

Appreciate all the tips, peeps.

Aphelios because he premiered with the set. Of the others, Miss Fortune sees a lot of play and is super rad (though I'm biased because I like scouts and pirates as decks a lot). All of them lend themselves to specific obvious gimmicks pretty well (spells, support, sacrificing dudes/multi attacks, blade cards, being Brom, ephermal guys) which might be why they don't see a lot of play (parasitic mechanics are only as strong as their support cards, so they fall out of the meta fast). Also, they might have chosen less popular guys specifically to promote their use/get people interested in them.

Unless you mean like popular with LoL players or something in which case I have no idea because I have never played it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

My hardest deck is generally the Foundry. it always feels like it has the right stuff to bog me down and plant a punch of mushrooms so I go into the turret board with like 12 health.

Foundry is the absolute worst.

after that it's Scars and then Sejuani.

Guard Bots isn't fun but's not bullshit, it just comes after Foundry.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Foundry is the absolute worst.

after that it's Scars and then Sejuani.

Guard Bots isn't fun but's not bullshit, it just comes after Foundry.

For me it's Scars>Turrets>Hunters.

I find more of my runs end at guard bots than foundry these days, because some decks just get a bad draw and bogged down and there's no way to punch through turrets with them after turn 9 (anything that focuses too much on challenger, for example). It might be just that I'm used to being prepared for foundry and very different decks are strong against it than turrets.

Miss Fortune loses horribly to scars all the time, as do a bunch of other decks. Hunters can wreck some of my control decks and eats Lulu alive.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The Sapling power is also great for a Lulu run, super helpful to have a supportable challenger on every attack round.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I find the bonuses and my partners often mattered more than who I chose at the beginning. Several Elises in a deck with 3/3 spiders and "summon a 2 cost critter at the beginning of the game" did everything on her own.

Until you get used to things, try rerolling until you get something usable to start.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Sega 32X posted:

Aphelios because he premiered with the set. Of the others, Miss Fortune sees a lot of play and is super rad (though I'm biased because I like scouts and pirates as decks a lot). All of them lend themselves to specific obvious gimmicks pretty well (spells, support, sacrificing dudes/multi attacks, blade cards, being Brom, ephermal guys) which might be why they don't see a lot of play (parasitic mechanics are only as strong as their support cards, so they fall out of the meta fast). Also, they might have chosen less popular guys specifically to promote their use/get people interested in them.

Unless you mean like popular with LoL players or something in which case I have no idea because I have never played it.

I do like MF and Braum, I admit. ( Pirates are rad ) But yeah if you played LoL at all, everybody else available don't exactly have big fanbases. I don't play LoL anymore, because I'm only so masochistic, eventually the suffering gets to be too much to handle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There were some heroes they wanted to avoid like Fiora, Teemo, TF, Nautilus, Maokai, probably Ezrael. As for how they chose the others no idea, Heimerdinger would not have been my pick.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just won with Braum carried by 1 cost +2/+2 Elise with rally and all cards get +1/+1 for their keywords. Absolutely mulched Guard Bots absolutely f that deck.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Neuronyx posted:

I do like MF and Braum, I admit. ( Pirates are rad ) But yeah if you played LoL at all, everybody else available don't exactly have big fanbases. I don't play LoL anymore, because I'm only so masochistic, eventually the suffering gets to be too much to handle.

What are the popular LoL heroes? I never played it either.

Is mortikaiser popular? I only know that name because I heard it in passing and thinking it was such a dumb name it turned the corner to enjoyable.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lucian, Aphelios, Miss Fortune and a Raum are all super popular for one reason or another. Heimerdinger and Lulu are in because Yordles and unique play styles is something they want people to explore (arguably that’s the real reason for all the champions, unique play styles that don’t warp the game too far). Riven and Hecarim are also super commonly played and popular to one-trick even if they’re not broadly popular.

Basically all 8 are in theory plenty popular except Heimerdinger, and Heimerdinger is a thematic choice because the lab ends with you fighting Viktor after fighting a bunch of turrets.

Mordekaiser is memetic, that’s not the same thing as popular.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm looking at # of games played here: https://na.op.gg/statistics/champion/

Kind of wild that the bottom five are all champions in LoR and none of the top four are. But I assume pick rate has more to do with the game's current balance than a champion's intrinsic popularity.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Asol is incredibly popular for basically everything but his actual in-game gameplay, and Kalista, Taliyah, and Lissandra are all vitally important for their respective regions stories (plus their abilities working well in a card game setting).

Not sure why Taric's here, but I'm glad he is.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

No Wave posted:

I'm looking at # of games played here: https://na.op.gg/statistics/champion/

Kind of wild that the bottom five are all champions in LoR and none of the top four are. But I assume pick rate has more to do with the game's current balance than a champion's intrinsic popularity.

I'm sure it does. Each of them had their time under the sun, and I'd expect to see them again. Patch balance changes things a lot. I'm not taking the current meta, but I'm a bit surprised Lulu is as high as 25th.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hellioning posted:

Asol is incredibly popular for basically everything but his actual in-game gameplay, and Kalista, Taliyah, and Lissandra are all vitally important for their respective regions stories (plus their abilities working well in a card game setting).

Taric was super popular for a long time for memetic reasons and realistically Targon just doesn’t have that many champions. Also he’s handsome and makes a lot of sense as the cornerstone of Targon support decks. Like straight up I think there’s only one actual Targon affiliated champion left and that’s Pantheon.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Xguard86 posted:

What are the popular LoL heroes? I never played it either.

Is mortikaiser popular? I only know that name because I heard it in passing and thinking it was such a dumb name it turned the corner to enjoyable.

That is absolutely the point of Mordekaiser actually, to be so loving over the top edgy it becomes awesome. And he absolutely is a favorite. Other champs that are super cool with loyal fans are Mundo, Blitzcrank, Nasus, Yorick, Singed, Nunu, just to name a few.

Hellioning posted:

These guys too actually. Taric is cool. Pantheon is best Targon boy fight me

E: Had to add on to this to say Aurelion Sol is a sassy dragon with some of the most incredible lines in either game and I encourage anybody to Youtube them.

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 25, 2021

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yipp's MF stopped offering me Zooey for some reason which sucks.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Kindred just kinda fucks in expedition huh? Makes me really want a Kindred deck to play around with but I believe they are pretty slow and clunky to make work in standard play.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Every ten games or so I like to play a game or two with one of the king meta decks just to taste them a bit before the nerfs hit. And out of the three I swear I surrender winning games with the targon aphelios deck constantly. It feels like I'm doing chinese water torture by giving myself a little cut for every drop I want to hit the other dudes head. At least tf/fizz and shen/firora are relatively quick and fun to play.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Double Twin Shadows is fun :v:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Coming back to this game for the first time since Sharifa released and want to make a go of completing these seasonal quests. Does anyone have any decent deck suggestions that can chunk away at them? I’d like to just start playing without spending hours deck building.

I’m guessing flavors of double Shurima aggro/tempo decks?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

post the quest step you are on and maybe someone can make a list for you. i completely forget what each step requires

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I can't remember what the specifics of the earlier event quests were but I think they all revolved around new cards/mechanics, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mattavist posted:

Coming back to this game for the first time since Sharifa released and want to make a go of completing these seasonal quests. Does anyone have any decent deck suggestions that can chunk away at them? I’d like to just start playing without spending hours deck building.

I’m guessing flavors of double Shurima aggro/tempo decks?

I think this mono-Shurima will work for almost all of them:
CEAQWBAHAEBQ2EA2EYWUGXLGNUAQEBAHHNGACAYEA4FT42Y

you only have a week left so get to it. it took me till this morning to complete the event.

EDIT:

here's the quest list:
https://outof.cards/forums/legends-of-runeterra/runeterra-general/8169-runeterra-empires-of-the-ascended-event-quests

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 25, 2021