Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
how intentional was that pun? because i really enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I literally took 5 minutes thinking of words with acl in some way shape or form. Look, I’m a dumbass but I feel like every now and again I think of a good one.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Massachusetts high school football coach fired after some let's say non-standard terminology found in his playbook:

quote:

Robert Trestan, the director of the Anti-Defamation League’s New England region, said the players had used “Auschwitz,” “rabbi” and “dreidel” as audibles — or last-minute play calls — during a game on March 12 against Plymouth North High School.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Cant spell “Classic UGA off-season” without first loving up an ACL.

QB Aaron Murray
RB Todd Gurley
RB Nick Chubb
RB Keith Marshall
RB Zamir White
WR Malcolm Mitchell
WR George Pickens
WR Marlon Brown
WR Justin Scott-Wesley
WR Dominick Blaylock

UGA's "all-torn-ACL" offense would win a natty IMO

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 25, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

UGA's "all-torn-ACL" offense would win a natty IMO

their healthy players can't win a natty

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

their healthy players can't win a natty

Yeah, there are also about 120 other schools in the same boat who don’t have the same level of year in year our success we have had the last 20 years. It’s cool that my team can be good and (similarly to Florida) have the ability to get into the playoffs yearly if they take care of business.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah, there are also about 120 other schools in the same boat who don’t have the same level of year in year our success we have had the last 20 years. It’s cool that my team can be good and (similarly to Florida) have the ability to get into the playoffs yearly if they take care of business.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It's literally reflexive at this point and cannot be stopped.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It's literally reflexive at this point and cannot be stopped.

Yeah well at least my coach didn’t hump a shark or whatever.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah well at least my coach didn’t hump a shark or whatever.

Not My Coach :colbert:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Not My Coach :colbert:

I thought you were a Florida dude. Uh, at least my coach with a dumb haircut had had more success than the coach with a dumb haircut that you just fired.

Don’t pay any attention that we hired him as an analyst or anything.

I got nothing.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I thought you were a Florida dude. Uh, at least my coach with a dumb haircut had had more success than the coach with a dumb haircut that you just fired.

Don’t pay any attention that we hired him as an analyst or anything.

I got nothing.

I am. I’m just denying the Mac years.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I mean the coach with a dumb haircut that you fired and we hired still fits, so I guess that is a double dunk.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I mean the coach with a dumb haircut that you fired and we hired still fits, so I guess that is a double dunk.

Did Grantham leave you guys voluntarily? Might work in both directions.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

KKKLIP ART posted:

I literally took 5 minutes thinking of words with acl in some way shape or form.
Worth it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Did Grantham leave you guys voluntarily? Might work in both directions.

I mean he left but I think it was a deal where he knew he was on the chopping block. His last season he was with us just had some wild and inexplicable collapses on defense that came down to poor coaching and this was after a season where one stop on 3rd down and we would have beaten Alabama. Fans were out for blood, boosters were out for blood, and the AD was willing to cut bait. So he left and we hired Pruitt and improved by every metric.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

There was a brief rumor Kansas was interested in Fuente and lol even though I want him gone he wouldn't go to that dumpster fire to get closer to home.

Kansas is hosed in football I have no clue who would realistically take that job.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

There was a brief rumor Kansas was interested in Fuente and lol even though I want him gone he wouldn't go to that dumpster fire to get closer to home.

Kansas is hosed in football I have no clue who would realistically take that job.

godfrey said they had tried to poach a sitting P5 head coach which is very funny on its face but this might be the only option where I could see why they'd think he might say yes

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The Notorious ZSB posted:

There's always some guy high on his own farts that thinks he can be immortalized as the one that built Kansas, and if not that there's always someone willing to take that Big 12 money for a few years and be set for life.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

godfrey said they had tried to poach a sitting P5 head coach which is very funny on its face but this might be the only option where I could see why they'd think he might say yes

maybe satterfield?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MourningView posted:

Honestly the best reason why he'd say yes is he loves to hide the program from anyone that wants to see it, no one cares about Kansas football, so it would be very easy to fly under the radar doing nothing for fans or the media.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

dirty shrimp money posted:

There's always some guy high on his own farts that thinks he can be immortalized as the one that built Kansas, and if not that there's always someone willing to take that Big 12 money for a few years and be set for life.

I'd say Rich Rod but I think his star has faded too much and he's still too toxic from Arizona for that narrative to work.

And he's busy in Monroe I guess.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
if you have a G5 job or are a coordinator that isn't getting a ton of P5 looks it makes sense, there's only so many of those jobs and it's life changing money

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

Even those two division titles were like having my toenails ripped off.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Even those two division titles were like having my toenails ripped off.

Because we were absolutely helpless against any team with a pulse.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

So much wasted talent on offense in that Muschamp through Mac time frame. Good god was it wasted

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

if you have a G5 job or are a coordinator that isn't getting a ton of P5 looks it makes sense, there's only so many of those jobs and it's life changing money

if you take godfrey's view of it (and why wouldn't we), it's also a 6 year project. you're gonna come out the other end smelling like a rose but building something and getting your rear end kicked for 5 years is a long, long time to suck

it's pretty much a young man's job unless you find your david cutcliffe just kicking around somewhere (and cutcliffe was still only 54 when he took the duke job) and most young coaches would rather bet on themselves and waiting for a good g5 opportunity than on ku i think

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Are KU's football facilities and budget that meager?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GD_American posted:

I don't pay enough attention to them to know the details but I'm pretty sure they're not good at the least.

They still had a track around the field just a few years ago I remember, at least that's now gone. Jeff Long was trying to get more renovations going a couple of years ago, but he was Jeff Long and nothing came of it. Couldn't really find much in two seconds of looking but hey, this is something I didn't realize about their stadium:

quote:

Prominently featured in the 1983 television movie, The Day After.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

GD_American posted:

they're p5 so they'll always have more money, but it is a capital b Basketball capital s School even moreso than places like kentucky or duke; the real problem is that the fan interest is almost zero and they were hovering around 40 scholarships a couple years ago (which is abysmal for a g5 much less a p5 team)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

GD_American posted:

It's sort of like Wake Forest, with the grassy end zone scheme and small stands. As far as budget, I have no idea. I'm thinking the boosters send their money to the basketball program.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I will coach Kansas for a fraction of the cost of one David Beaty and win only 6 fewer games, at worst. Call me Jayhawks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Looking around, and these are from vastly different sources so they're not 1:1 on methodology, but:

Kansas is 56th out of 65 P5 schools in football revenue, at $38 million:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...08/#145373708_1

An AP story had them at 65th (of all schools, not just P5), and stated that by % they spend less on football than any other P5 school.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2017/08/which_schools_spend_the_most_on_college_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

I don't know of a way to quantify facilities, and apparently nobody has tried; there's tons of "best 20 facilities in college football", but they're essentially factoid based with anecdotes of poo poo like Clemson's slide or LSU's new locker rooms. There's poo poo like "every stadium in NCAA football ranked", but that's just pure opinionizing.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

It's time to do it kansas. The first armchair quarterback lead football team! Not sure what play to run? Ask the internet! Defensive play calling? Ask the internet! Offensive play calling? Ask the internet! We'll get to make a name for it... Peer Based Football Coaching ... gently caress you, I know what play to run!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

downout posted:

It's time to do it kansas. The first armchair quarterback lead football team! Not sure what play to run? Ask the internet! Defensive play calling? Ask the internet! Offensive play calling? Ask the internet! We'll get to make a name for it... Peer Based Football Coaching ... gently caress you, I know what play to run!
which school would be the easiest to trick into something I can't actually define but just call "playcalling on the blockchain"?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

which school would be the easiest to trick into something I can't actually define but just call "playcalling on the blockchain"?

Stanford.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

GD_American posted:

An AP story had them at 65th (of all schools, not just P5), and stated that by % they spend less on football than any other P5 school.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2017/08/which_schools_spend_the_most_on_college_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

well some of this is that I'm pretty sure they're spending the most on basketball or are right behind Kentucky

It's almost definitely the worst P5 job and there are several G5 jobs I'd rather have but the gap between it and basically every job in, say, the MAC is still pretty massive.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 26, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

downout posted:

Jon Bois Presents: Breaking Kansas

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The thing with Kansas is that it's not unreasonable that you could get that program into a bowl game by 2024 because the gap between Oklahoma and everyone else is pretty steep and there's no other consistent contender. Iowa St is not gonna be this good for long, Mike Gundy is gonna wear out his welcome at OkieSt sometime, Gary Patterson looks to be cooked at TCU, Texas will never get their poo poo together, WVU is improving but we don't know their ceiling, etc.

Schedule three bad MAC teams and go 4-5 in conference, go bowling. That doesn't seem that tough!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

The thing with Kansas is that it's not unreasonable that you could get that program into a bowl game by 2024 because the gap between Oklahoma and everyone else is pretty steep and there's no other consistent contender. Iowa St is not gonna be this good for long, Mike Gundy is gonna wear out his welcome at OkieSt sometime, Gary Patterson looks to be cooked at TCU, Texas will never get their poo poo together, WVU is improving but we don't know their ceiling, etc.

Schedule three bad MAC teams and go 4-5 in conference, go bowling. That doesn't seem that tough!

I feel a need for an option team in the big12!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I wanna say what they need is the football Bruce Pearl -- an elite coach forcibly knocked down a peg without becoming entirely canceled -- but Auburn basketball at least had access to money and proximity to recruits whereas Kansas does not have those and also successful football coaches do not become disgraced without also being canceled to the extent of unemployability.