Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

On the whole, it looks like Bendis' Justice League was the only thing I was all that wary of with the Infinite Frontier relaunch.

Edit - Also i reactivated my DC Universe Infinite sub, and I'm reading Gail Simone's Batgirl. Seems decent so far, but I'm only three issues in. Think I'll also read the Batgirl of Burnside stuff that follows too.

Roth fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Supersons was just too perfect for this world the first time around. Aging Jon up seems to mostly be uninteresting, as he is now a much blander character than when he was an excited regular kid with unpredictable powers.

Got my SuperSons omnibus in the mail last Friday. I felt like I really missed out not getting the book as it came out originally.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

It's one of the titles that kept the same creative team, right? I didn't love Ram V's stuff before Future State, but I didn't hate it either, it was kind of aggressively "there", partly because of the same thing that led Tynion to write her out of his run on Batman, which is "you can't do anything with her and Batman interacting because King's gonna do his thing" and then JTIV's run took off and DC shrugged and decided King's series is now an Elseworlds thing.

Yeah. It's still the same team.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Nightwing was...fine. The art was pretty good and I like the interactions with Barbara, but the main plot with Blockbuster and the mayor didn't grab me.

Still, I think it's too soon to start with the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye comparions, though; a hero with a dog doesn't mean it's a rehash of Hawkeye.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1372005020309336072?s=20

Odds on one of them getting killed in the next big event comic after this?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Extremely low because that's from their young adult gn line.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roth posted:

Also i reactivated my DC Universe Infinite sub, and I'm reading Gail Simone's Batgirl. Seems decent so far, but I'm only three issues in. Think I'll also read the Batgirl of Burnside stuff that follows too.

FWIW, the Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain Batgirl solo series hold up pretty well. I'd been a Babs fan for a long time, but all the batgirls are rad.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Space Fish posted:

FWIW, the Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain Batgirl solo series hold up pretty well. I'd been a Babs fan for a long time, but all the batgirls are rad.

Yeah, Cass' Batgirl run is one of the first runs I ever read based on my interest in the character.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Steph's my personal favourite Batgirl, I love her series (finally upgraded to the new trades a couple days ago), but I'd say don't skip Cass either. Well, maybe skip Redemption. Batgirl: Year One is pretty good too, though it is kinda a sequel to Robin: Year One and they kinda fit together, but Robin: Year One is pretty decent too. Burnside's good, but I only got two of the trades before everything about Cameron Stewart came out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roth posted:

Yeah, Cass' Batgirl run is one of the first runs I ever read based on my interest in the character.

It's a shame we don't get long-running series of anybody less than an heavily pushed character anymore. Especially like with Cass whose run was 2/3rds good. (There's some filler in the middle, but overall it's well worth it.)

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Superman Red & Blue's first issue opening with Supes being tortured for eight months sure is a choice.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just saw that Joker is moving to $5.99 and just started laughing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Love that Joker!

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Cassa posted:

Superman Red & Blue's first issue opening with Supes being tortured for eight months sure is a choice.

I really really loved the Wes Craig story though. I'm used to him being the artist on Deadly Class where horrible things happen to the protagonists, so it was a nice change!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

The smashy weapon system was pretty fun. :colbert: Also the superspeed! Running up buildings!

I swear to god the Flash TV series drew a lot of their :goesfast: effects directly from that game

[Say][You]: poo poo

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I dunno a out you guys but i find DCUO pretty fun...

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

frameset posted:

I really really loved the Wes Craig story though. I'm used to him being the artist on Deadly Class where horrible things happen to the protagonists, so it was a nice change!

Yeah, the other stories were really good and lovely.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Blockhouse posted:

Jess is fine. They're your standard smarmy speedster character, like they tried to make the Justice League version of Wally West into a comic character, so if you like that then there's nothing wrong with them. They haven't had much depth to them but that's what happens when you appear in a like two issue team book that's more concerned with a setting-up a future status quo than anything else.

It's more the convoluted origin. If you wanted a non-binary future Flash character they didn't have to be from the weird sex swap earth. They've already got a logjam of underused characters.

They're essentially Non-Binary Wallace West and Wallace West also sucks.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 20, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It's more the convoluted origin. If you wanted a non-binary future Flash character they didn't have to be from the weird sex swap earth. They've already got a logjam of underused characters.

They're essentially Non-Binary Wallace West and Wallace West also sucks.

I mean, so what? Power Girl's origin was such a goddamn mess for years even at the height of her popularity to the point they just threw their hands up and said "she's from Earth-2" and then everyone just kind of accepted that. I don't get how being from an alternate Earth meaningfully makes a character better or worse.

If people wanted to use those underused characters I imagine they would. New characters aren't stopping old characters from getting panel time. Like, Wallace isn't stopping Wally from being in books right now that's for drat sure.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Blockhouse posted:

. Like, Wallace isn't stopping Wally from being in books right now that's for drat sure.

careful with that monkey paw, it is down to a fist and has been punching poor wally for years.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Blockhouse posted:

I mean, so what? Power Girl's origin was such a goddamn mess for years even at the height of her popularity to the point they just threw their hands up and said "she's from Earth-2" and then everyone just kind of accepted that. I don't get how being from an alternate Earth meaningfully makes a character better or worse.

If people wanted to use those underused characters I imagine they would. New characters aren't stopping old characters from getting panel time. Like, Wallace isn't stopping Wally from being in books right now that's for drat sure.

I'm not sure why another character having a lovely origin makes convoluted origins okay.

You're fundamentally wrong about new characters and panel time. Wallace certainly was keeping Wally from being in comics before as he was originally supposed to be Wally, after all. Just a horrible racist caricature of a black kid version of Wally dreamed up by Didio. Now he's just retconned into being stupid and boring. Jess is just non-binary Wallace without the horrible baggage of actually having stories written about them, but with the horrible baggage of, as you put it, an origin that's a goddamn mess. Admittedly, that's very in line with Wallace who has a really loving nonsensical origin even with the retcons.

It's just dumb to me how DC hates and glosses over its new legacy characters and then... constantly makes more new ones who fit in even less. Could've just made Jai or Iris non-binary if that was the goal without adding another headache to an already pretty headache laden franchise.

Also big loving lol at "if people wanted to use those characters they would've!!!!" Hahahahahaha no. No. That is never how DC has worked, triply so with the Flash since 2005.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 21, 2021

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Batman/Superman 16 was an absolute delight, probably the most entertaining thing I've read from DC in years. I can't believe how well the two concurrent storylines worked by themselves or read back-and-forth on each page. And for as much work as Reis had to put in to pull this concept off, every panel was stellar. I've been rereading it over and over, I can't remember the last time I was so enthusiastic over a cape book.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
DC solicits for June are up.

https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-june-2021-solicitations/

Nothing outright grabs me. Might check out Bendis' Checkmate but might not because I haven't read Leviathan and don't really want to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Checkmate is a longtime favorite of mine so I'm certain the Bendis series will be poo poo.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I like a lot of the offerings there, but another price bump to $5-6 per issue? Why even bother... and speaking of despair:

Tom King's Usual Bullshit posted:

Kara Zor-El has seen some epic adventures over the years, but finds her life without meaning or purpose. Here she is, a young woman who saw her planet destroyed and was sent to Earth to protect a baby cousin who ended up not needing her. What was it all for? Wherever she goes, people only see her through the lens of Superman’s fame. Just when Supergirl thinks she’s had enough, everything changes. An alien girl seeks her out for a vicious mission. Her world has been destroyed, and the bad guys responsible are still out there. She wants revenge, and if Supergirl doesn’t help her, she’ll do it herself, whatever the cost. Now a Kryptonian, a dog, and an angry, heartbroken child head out into space on a journey that will shake them to their very core.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Checkmate is a longtime favorite of mine so I'm certain the Bendis series will be poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I know for some reason Bendis has burned bridges on BSS (where everything he now does is the worst thing he has ever does until the next thing he does which will be the worst thing he has ever done etc etc) but I am willing to give it a shot. I love the Rucka Checkmate series and wish he would come back to do it, but happy to give this a shot.

The price jump is a huge roadblock for me picking up books though. Too many 5.99 books and I really don't give a poo poo about backups and find them usually an excuse to bump the price for no reason.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1374411979184435206

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
They should name the dog King.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ooh, Jack Kirby OMAC trade! I'm still waiting for them to start putting out Kamandi in trades, I'd like to read it but I'm not buying another omnibus.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

They should name the dog King.

King's usual bullshit posted:

King the dog has seen some epic adventures over the years, but finds her life without meaning or purpose. Here she is, a young dog who saw her planet destroyed and was sent to Earth to protect a baby cousin who ended up not needing her. What was it all for? Wherever she goes, people only see her through the lens of Nightwing's fame. Just when King thinks she’s had enough, everything changes. An alien girl seeks her out for a vicious mission. Her world has been destroyed, and the bad guys responsible are still out there. She wants revenge, and if King doesn’t help her, she’ll do it herself, whatever the cost. Now a dog, a dog, and an angry, heartbroken child head out into space on a journey that will shake them to their very core.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ugggghhh Tom King please find a new shtick.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
i'm not sure if this thread is dead or if there's just an extreme lack of enthusiasm, but nobody posted about Grant Morrison doing a Superman & the Authority book?

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1374441417779519498

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

FoneBone posted:

i'm not sure if this thread is dead or if there's just an extreme lack of enthusiasm, but nobody posted about Grant Morrison doing a Superman & the Authority book?

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1374441417779519498

I thought Morrison was done with DC after GL S2 ended, so I'm guessing this was something they wrote previously and it was held over til now. Also, I didn't pay attention to an ounce of the Future State stuff, so is this presumably part of that with this strange costume, or possibly something completely different?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Totally new costume.

Also I don't think Morrison ever said they were done with DC

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Totally new costume.

Also I don't think Morrison ever said they were done with DC

Had to go find the article I read, it was Liam Sharp who said it, apparently. I hope it's not true, I'm still holding out hope for Multiversity Too, but I also wouldn't be surprised.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, I've got a random question...I've recently read through Doomsday Clock (The Mime was great :D ) and I'm just wondering who "Nostalgia" and Marionett's son Clarke, who Dr Manhattan kidnapped and gave to some random person after marking his face are, at the end? Are they actually characters who are featured elsewhere, or are they just new creations intended for future use?

Also, are there any 'go-to' graphic novels/omnibuses, etc. that have good, self-contained/standalone plotlines? (Not necessarily DC or superhero-related though, really)
Since I don't really read much in the way of comics/graphic novels, aside from very rarely when a graphic novel is suggested or given to me, like Watchmen was years ago.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 25, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, I've got a random question...I've recently read through Doomsday Clock (The Mime was great :D ) and I'm just wondering who "Nostalgia" and Marionett's son Clarke, who Dr Manhattan kidnapped and gave to some random person after marking his face are, at the end? Are they actually characters who are featured elsewhere, or are they just new creations intended for future use?

The latter

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Major Isoor posted:

Also, are there any 'go-to' graphic novels/omnibuses, etc. that have good, self-contained/standalone plotlines? (Not necessarily DC or superhero-related though, really)
Since I don't really read much in the way of comics/graphic novels, aside from very rarely when a graphic novel is suggested or given to me, like Watchmen was years ago.

New Frontier is a fantastic stand-alone Justice League story with gorgeous Darwyn Cooke art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TwoPair posted:

The latter

Aw :(

Doctor Spaceman posted:

New Frontier is a fantastic stand-alone Justice League story with gorgeous Darwyn Cooke art.

Huh, interesting idea! I like the premise. Thanks, I'll check it out!