Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Nice pickup. My copy of Made in Japan looks exactly the same.

That linear tracker I got sounds great. The cartridge had a thick layer of funk on it but it cleaned up fine, and it seems to be a decent Empire cart. Pleased with it overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Regarding those Utah brand speakers, BTW:

quote:

“Utah Speakers was founded by Francis Lester Pyle. The Pyle family did go on to found Pyle, the company known today for various electronic things.”

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Friend is letting me check out his Linn Majik-I, really digging it, got it running some beat up Yamaha NS-590s I got from the thrift. Been jamming to some CDs the past serveral nights, I'm not sure why but been enjoying the ease and sound of the CDs. Kind of nice when you can just listen to poo poo and not go through the whole clean record/fiddle with vintage receiver journey.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
any old thrift-rear end CD player

+

inexpensive contemporary balanced DAC

=

babby’s first DIY audiophile-grade media playback solution

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I should run the tascam through my Modi2 and see if it sounds any better.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
One of my teens is into vinyl now. My dad gave her my old all-in-one record player (Panasonic CG-X7) and some Infinity 2002.2 speakers and she loves listening to records. I also gave her my old cassette walkman too although cassettes sound terrible.

I'd like to get her a nicer set up because the old Panasonic is not going to last long and I could hear it struggle with a heavier 180g record. I have a set of KEF Q350 in storage and I was thinking about getting her a Cambridge Audio AXA35 integrated amp (has phono input) and a turntable maybe the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo, U-Turn Orbit Plus or Denon DP400. She doesn't need any DAC and all her media is vinyl. What do you guys think about that set up and do you have any other recommendations. I looked at the PS Audio Sprout 100 and Yamaha WXA-50 too. I love the form factor and looks of the Sprout but it measured poorly when tested by Amir at ASR. The AXA35 would be $350 and the turntable would be $289 (U-Turn) to $499 (Denon or Project) so with my existing speakers I could do this all for $639 to $849.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 17, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Yuns posted:

One of my teens is into vinyl now. My dad gave her my old all-in-one record player (Panasonic CG-X7) and some Infinity 2002.2 speakers and she loves listening to records. I also gave her my old cassette walkman too although cassettes sound terrible.

I'd like to get her a nicer set up because the old Panasonic is not going to last long and I could hear it struggle with a heavier 180g record. I have a set of KEF Q350 in storage and I was thinking about getting her a Cambridge Audio AXA35 integrated amp (has phono input) and a turntable maybe the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo, U-Turn Orbit Plus or Denon DP400. She doesn't need any DAC and all her media is vinyl. What do you guys think about that set up and do you have any other recommendations. I looked at the PS Audio Sprout 100 and Yamaha WXA-50 too. I love the form factor and looks of the Sprout but it measured poorly when tested by Amir at ASR. The AXA35 would be $350 and the turntable would be $289 (U-Turn) to $499 (Denon or Project) so with my existing speakers I could do this all for $639 to $849.

If that’s in budget I’m sure it will sound good. I don’t have any personal experience with any of that gear.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Your teen’s getting some nice speakers

And it sounds like she’d be getting some nice gear to go with them

I’ll throw a pitch for the Yamaha A-S501 here, as well as maybe the IOTAVX SA3? I think both are probably better bang/buck than the Cambridge Audio, but that’s just my subjective take.

For turntables there’s also the Audio Technica range if you want something maybe a bit harder wearing than belt turntables (although a colorful Uturn Orbit with acrylic would probably look peaches).

I wouldn’t count out DAC or wireless capabilities in an amp either. For all that she “only listens to vinyl” now, I doubt that’ll remain the case. I assume she has a phone, at some point she’ll want to connect it. When she gets a computer she’ll want to connect that. Same with a TV, console, etc. As far as “legacy” formats are concerned, an optical or coax in is a great thing to have for CD. At the end of the day, a $99 Schiit Modi will beat just about any built in DAC that comes in a sub-$1000 amplifier/receiver, but I’m also not about to turn away some Bluetooth or optical/coax if it’s available.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 17, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Thanks for the recommendations. Both the Yamaha and IOTAVX look good and are reasonably priced. I like the phono inputs on both and I especially like the rotary controls and aesthetics on the Yamaha. I'll look at the AT turntables as well.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Both the Yamaha and IOTAVX look good and are reasonably priced. I like the phono inputs on both and I especially like the rotary controls and aesthetics on the Yamaha. I'll look at the AT turntables as well.

I’ll throw in $.02 for the Yamaha. Incredibly versatile, very solid build, and a lot of kit for the money. We’ve got the preamp version (WX-C) in our living room through a pair of Dynaudios and a sub and I’ve never had the urge to replace it. Tiny footprint, wife finds it very easy to use, you can stream to/with it, and it’s tough. My partner has a WX-A for his bedroom with a pair of James speakers and likes it a lot as well. Not the last word in bass or resolving cymbals and the like, but at that price point it doesn’t need to be.

Give a serious look to the Yamaha RN-303 if you’re comfortable with the traditional size of it. Very similar feature set with a considerable improvement to sound quality, yet lower in price. It’s not as stylish as the WX-A, but it’s not ugly and more of the budget goes to making it sound nice and balanced instead of diverting quite so much to aesthetics.

That’s some high-quality dadding you’ve got going on.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Is this the right thread to ask audio repair questions? I got a free active sub to pair with my Minimus 7's for my bedroom stereo, but it pops a fuse anytime I connect the power cable.

I removed the driver and noticed that the terminal block attached to was split and dangling, what's the proper term for these things and where could I order a replacement?

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

Is this the right thread to ask audio repair questions? I got a free active sub to pair with my Minimus 7's for my bedroom stereo, but it pops a fuse anytime I connect the power cable.

I removed the driver and noticed that the terminal block attached to was split and dangling, what's the proper term for these things and where could I order a replacement?

Do you have a picture of the broken part itself or can you mark up the picture you posted to illustrate the break? I can help you locate the component in question. How about a picture of the driver model markings?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The male disconnect terminals pictured or the thing that the terminals are mounted to?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
After patiently guiding me through my failed attempts to diagnose the issue that caused my Sony power amp to fry a pair of nice old speakers, goon Discernably Turgid did something amazing for me over the last few months. Wanting to do something nice for a stranger he initially offered to send me repair parts, then quickly decided to send me a whole new amp. He fully restored and upgraded an old TA-n55es that he had in his shop and mailed it across the continent to me for the cost of parts and shipping.

I was blown away by the work he did and the upgrade from the Pioneer SA-7800 I've been using as a backup is incredible. After much research and consultation with my wife I decided to replace my ancient, thrift-store-purchased Polk monitor 7a's with a pair of these:

I had considered Kef R3s but decided I wanted a bit bigger speaker and the red mahogany looks really nice with our oak and teak furniture.

The combination is the best sounding system I've ever owned. Absolutely clean sound, fantastic imaging and power.

The amp puts 130-150w into the Wharfedales with .004THD. I leave the preamp in source direct mode which runs at .003 THD.

I know Turgid has helped other people in this thread, I just had to give him public thanks for going so far to help out a stranger, he is an awesome dude!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s a beautiful setup.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

That's awesome of Turgid to do and that looks like a good set up.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Does Turgid run an SA Mart or have a web presence for his shop or anything? Would love to buy stuff from a goon

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I had a pair of Lintons for a few weeks. They ultimately didn’t work in my room, but they are definitely fun speakers and look great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I had a pair of Lintons for a few weeks. They ultimately didn’t work in my room, but they are definitely fun speakers and look great.

what didn’t you like, if you don’t mind me asking?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

gently caress, if there is a goon who can service classic Hifi gear please throw your email in the thread I have a bunch of stuff I want serviced and I'm sure other goons do to.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

my turn in the barrel posted:

gently caress, if there is a goon who can service classic Hifi gear please throw your email in the thread I have a bunch of stuff I want serviced and I'm sure other goons do to.

yes.

although my poo poo is heavy

you gotta be in the US northeast

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I know he's super busy but I'm hoping Turgid gets a chance to post a write up of his repair process, I learned a ton just chatting with him

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes.

although my poo poo is heavy

you gotta be in the US northeast

He is in the US NE and shipped my 25lb amp to the west coast of Canada in bombproof packaging for surprisingly cheap.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I won't speak for him but I suspect if it's a smaller room they could be a bit boomy with the 8" woofer and ports. Away from the walls in my living room they have great bass that isn't muffled or overwhelming

large hands fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 21, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Two things:

I typically listen at low volumes, and the speaker sounded really boxy and closed in. That went away at a certain volume, but was louder than I often listened to.

Although I have a large room, it’s also our main living space and the speakers have to be fairly close to the back wall. The Lintons have a pretty substantial bass bump, and with where I could place them, the bass was overwhelming.

They are very fun speakers, and I happily recommend that people try them. I first heard them at AudioFest and loved them; I must have spent about 3 hours total in that room, but they were being played loud and well away from the walls. They handle older recordings (think 50s jazz, 60s rock, etc.) so well.

And, in fairness, when I had them in they were being compared directly with Revel F208s, which are more than 3x the cost.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I picked up a Sony STR-D315 receiver last summer from a goodwill. I tested it when I got home and it worked fine. It powers on fine now but there's no sound/it's very faint. I took it apart and got some pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/U77bgyM

Is there anything obvious that is wrong with it? I know these are common and not worth much but I thought it might be fun to try to fix it.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

mariooncrack posted:

I picked up a Sony STR-D315 receiver last summer from a goodwill. I tested it when I got home and it worked fine. It powers on fine now but there's no sound/it's very faint. I took it apart and got some pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/U77bgyM

Is there anything obvious that is wrong with it? I know these are common and not worth much but I thought it might be fun to try to fix it.

Besides being dirty as hell it's hard to troubleshoot something like that by eye. Have you tried all of the different inputs, made sure you don't have a tape monitor switched on, things like that? Also, I am legitimately surprised and impressed that Sony was still using discrete transistors in these, I was expecting power packs, so this thing is at least (somewhat) easily repairable if you like it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Sweetwater has the behringer uca222 for $19-shipped right now. Great option for plugging a Pi or something into a hifi setup.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

eddiewalker posted:

Sweetwater has the behringer uca222 for $19-shipped right now. Great option for plugging a Pi or something into a hifi setup.

Nice little 16 bit USB soundcard there.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

That's a good deal. I bought one recently for $38 and it was pretty much the cheapest way to capture RCA audio on a computer without a line-in. Which is funny when you consider there are HDMI capture cards out there for like $15.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

My dad had his dad's pair of Monitor Audio MA4 Mk1s in the attic from 1976 - I don't think they've been plugged in since about 1990. I wanted to test them and most of my audio gear is buried in cabinets with wiring in the walls, so the easiest way was to use my computer hooked up to a spare receiver - I've now got some 3 foot high speakers sitting about 1 foot from my chair and they sound great (obvious positioning issues aside) in the midrange and treble. Apparently the Isophon tweeters in these can be a bit bright, but it looks as if Monitor must have treated them somehow and I'm not getting excessive brightness/sharpness. The one issue is that the bass is somewhat anemic at low levels. I guess now I have to figure out whether I can use these elsewhere in my house, or if I'm literally going to be rearranging my office.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pork never goes bad posted:

My dad had his dad's pair of Monitor Audio MA4 Mk1s in the attic from 1976 - I don't think they've been plugged in since about 1990. I wanted to test them and most of my audio gear is buried in cabinets with wiring in the walls, so the easiest way was to use my computer hooked up to a spare receiver - I've now got some 3 foot high speakers sitting about 1 foot from my chair and they sound great (obvious positioning issues aside) in the midrange and treble. Apparently the Isophon tweeters in these can be a bit bright, but it looks as if Monitor must have treated them somehow and I'm not getting excessive brightness/sharpness. The one issue is that the bass is somewhat anemic at low levels. I guess now I have to figure out whether I can use these elsewhere in my house, or if I'm literally going to be rearranging my office.

You might be able to really change the way the bass sounds by positioning them differently. Or that might just not be what they’re best at.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

BigFactory posted:

You might be able to really change the way the bass sounds by positioning them differently. Or that might just not be what they’re best at.

Positioning will help I'm sure, but unfortunately I worry they won't ever have great bass at low volume. If I crank it then the bass is much better. I'll get a picture for this thread later. They're cool speakers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pork never goes bad posted:

Positioning will help I'm sure, but unfortunately I worry they won't ever have great bass at low volume. If I crank it then the bass is much better. I'll get a picture for this thread later. They're cool speakers.

Does your amp have a loudness button?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

And while we're at it can somebody please explain what a loudness button does? :itisamystery:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

petit choux posted:

And while we're at it can somebody please explain what a loudness button does? :itisamystery:

depends on the company

Yamaha’s boosts the low and high frequencies in a manner designed to compensate for listening at very low volumes (like late at night while somebody else might be sleeping)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

depends on the company

Yamaha’s boosts the low and high frequencies in a manner designed to compensate for listening at very low volumes (like late at night while somebody else might be sleeping)

Yeah, sometimes loudness seems to basically mean reverb with some of these

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

BigFactory posted:

It's currently running on a Denon receiver (AVR 3806, ~15 years old 7 channel) which I haven't read the manual for yet. It doesn't have a loudness button, but it has a lot of eq and room options and I'm sure I could find a good way to boost the bass. This receiver is going into another room soon, though, and I'll probably end up running these off a modern Class T amp, assuming it can drive em.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I like RME's weirdly translated explanation of loudness.

quote:

Another legacy of HiFi amplifiers: a feature called Loudness. It tries to address the changes in frequency-dependent hearing sensitivity over different volume levels. If one listens to music loud, then drops the level by at least 20 dB, sound loses punch and glitter. HiFi amps tried to fight this effect by adding more bass and treble the lower the volume was set. Unfortunately that never worked as intended, and just became an additional bass/treble booster. Reason: the manufacturer of the HiFi amp could not know what volume any position of the volume knob equals at the customer’s home. Room size, room dampening and efficiency of the used speakers are all unknown.

on some RME gear, you can define your regular listen level and your lower "dim" level, and the device adds an "eq smile" proportional to the difference. It's cool because it removes a little of the temptation to listen louder for a fuller sound.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 25, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I appear to have stumbled upon a nice amp, a Kenwood KA-893. I guess this thing is supposed to have a remote. Following the "if it's heavy buy it" rule once again.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Proving once again that the improvised setup is always the best setup, a BeoSound Ouverture, BeoLink Passive and my newly acquired KEF LS50 on some ancient stands:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

evobatman posted:

Proving once again that the improvised setup is always the best setup, a BeoSound Ouverture, BeoLink Passive and my newly acquired KEF LS50 on some ancient stands:

If you get the chance to put those on some heavyweight, filled stands they’ll suddenly have an upper-bass end that will blow your mind. The amount of color and detail with which those can paint in the low strings/ 2nd piano octave is almost unfair at the price range when you can hold them really, really still.

That setup looks barrel-o-monkeys fun.