Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

runawayturtles posted:

The fact that the Basilisk has sideways scroll at all is my biggest complaint with it. It's awkward to use intentionally, but often happens unintentionally while middle-clicking, and screws up whatever I'm trying to do.

edit: Now that I think about it, I'm better off disabling both sides, but middle-click will still feel pretty weird whenever it happens.

Alternative approach, replace the sideways scrolls with middle-click. In my experience tilting the wheel is better middle-click than pressing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

runawayturtles posted:

The fact that the Basilisk has sideways scroll at all is my biggest complaint with it. It's awkward to use intentionally, but often happens unintentionally while middle-clicking, and screws up whatever I'm trying to do.

edit: Now that I think about it, I'm better off disabling both sides, but middle-click will still feel pretty weird whenever it happens.

Additionally, it might be partially responsible for the stiff middle click.

Saukkis posted:

Alternative approach, replace the sideways scrolls with middle-click. In my experience tilting the wheel is better middle-click than pressing it.

It still doesn't feel great, especially repeatedly.

My favorite alt-middle click was one of the extra top buttons on the g402 (also on the 502).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rinkles posted:

It still doesn't feel great, especially repeatedly.

My favorite alt-middle click was one of the extra top buttons on the g402 (also on the 502).

That's definitely true and that's why my primary mouse is a decade old MX620 with a similar button and I'm loath to switch.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Question: do people use the sideways scroll buttons, and with what function?

I'm finding I'm using them less than I thought I would.

e:for instance, it's not a comfortable middle click substitute

I usually map them to minimize and launch/maximize notepad++ or excel or whatever productivity app I'm using a lot at the time. Boring answer, but there you go. I should really get another monitor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I saw a G402 at Target for $35 and couldn't help myself.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Well Endgame Gear has you go onto their discord for tech support. When you post about your problem to attempt to get a rma (right mouse button not working) you get bombed with a bunch of people telling you how to fix it like soldering a new switch in or loosen the screw under the button.

you can’t even see the messages from a company rep because everyone who has issues needs to post on their for support. It’s not a good system at all and I ended up getting a razer basilisk v2 as endgame gear wanted me to pay for shipping both ways on the rma of a 6 month old defective mouse.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TacticalHoodie posted:

Well Endgame Gear has you go onto their discord for tech support. When you post about your problem to attempt to get a rma (right mouse button not working) you get bombed with a bunch of people telling you how to fix it like soldering a new switch in or loosen the screw under the button.

you can’t even see the messages from a company rep because everyone who has issues needs to post on their for support. It’s not a good system at all and I ended up getting a razer basilisk v2 as endgame gear wanted me to pay for shipping both ways on the rma of a 6 month old defective mouse.

The real endgame was taking your money. You could definitely replace the switch if you're handy with a soldering iron but that's definitely not something you should be expected to do on what is basically a new mouse.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Rexxed posted:

The real endgame was taking your money. You could definitely replace the switch if you're handy with a soldering iron but that's definitely not something you should be expected to do on what is basically a new mouse.

I think it was more the “your issue is trivial “ attitude of the community. They made it sound like I can go down to the store for a switch for a mouse or I should have some on hand. They did the same thing with the mousepad I got from endgame gear. It hasn’t laid flat in 4 months and they just tell me that it’s like that.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

TacticalHoodie posted:

My XM1 started to intermittently disconnect after 6 months and I got in touch with Endgame via their website's email contact form. Instead of a replacement mouse they offered to ship me a replacement cable to install myself but they also wanted a video of the issue happening so I just went back to a different mouse and put it away until I get a chance to buy a cool paracorded cable for it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TacticalHoodie posted:

I think it was more the “your issue is trivial “ attitude of the community. They made it sound like I can go down to the store for a switch for a mouse or I should have some on hand. They did the same thing with the mousepad I got from endgame gear. It hasn’t laid flat in 4 months and they just tell me that it’s like that.

Wonder how long until they endgame out of business.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Wonder how long until they endgame out of business.

Probably not too long. Endgame is struggling to get the firmware out for their latest mice, Xm1r, and it plagued with double clicks and disconnects. The discord is filled with people angry about the situation but endgame is just mum about the whole thing. They also sent out samples to influencers and Badseed Tech was the only one to call them out for their terrible media guide.

https://youtu.be/IaRh5eC1GjE

I am not going to recommend them in the future.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Disappointing to hear. I liked the look and shape of the XM1, and I would have ended up on one if hte KPU didn't impress me so much.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TacticalHoodie posted:

What does the product warranty say?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

astral posted:

What does the product warranty say?

Just that the warranty is 2 years from the date of purchase. They do not have any stated warranty policy on their website which is a big yikes for me. Even other boutique brands like Final Mouse are doing this kind of thing. Going on social media to get a RMA doesn't sound great compared to other players in the space so I will just stick to Steelseries and Razer in the future. Reddit's consistent complaints about brand quality doesn't mean much as I had no problems with either. The Sensei Ten I have in storage is fine but I need PTFE feet for it to really shine and it does not have any feet at the moment after I wreaked the stock pair putting a paracord in it. I am liking the Optical switches and shape of the Basilisk V2 so I plan on using that for the time being.

Also from this whole experience, I don't get ultra light weight mice and why everyone is recommending them nowadays. Their build quality is a common complaint to make the mouse weigh less and I seem to play better when there is more weight with the mouse I am using. It seems like 90g is the sweet spot for me.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, vertical mouse experiment has been a failure overall. Considering moving on to a trackball of some sort, probably thumb ball. All the resources that aren't transparent paid ads are years out of date and list prices that are a quarter to half what things are now. What's the solid entry point for thumb trackball mice nowadays? Still dealing with nerve/wrist issues.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

M570? It's not exactly a crowded field. I have one and I like it well enough. It's no mouse to me, but I haven't spent hours with it, I hear it gets better.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 16, 2021

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So Endgame Gear changed their mind and just going to send me a new mouse. I mean, that is great and all, but that is a lot of hoops to jump through for a RMA.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
So, where is a good source for replacement switches for a Logitech G700?

The right started flaking a year or so ago, I cleaned it and it was good for a while, but now it's only half registering or trying to double-click, and the left one is doing the same. Really like the mouse, and I have years of muscle memory on the thing in so many games and programs that I'd love to revive it with some good switches.

And while I'm at it, preferrably the same source, new feet/skates for the thing as well.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 25, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Koskun posted:

The right started flaking a year or so ago, I cleaned it and it was good for a while, but now it's only half registering or trying to double-click, and the left one is doing the same. Really like the mouse, and I have years of muscle memory on the thing in so many games and programs that I'd love to revive it with some good switches.

And while I'm at it, preferrably the same source, new feet/skates for the thing as well.

If you're going to go through the trouble, I've read (on this thread iirc) that you should look for Omron replacements made in Japan. Supposedly they have a better build quality than the Omron switches made in China. I don't know if that's true but they don't cost that much more so you may as well.
There's a lot of success stories on the reviews of these on Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/D2F-01F-Switch-Microswitch-Subminiature-Logitech/dp/B0062WNDLI/

You probably saw one already, but here's a repair guide. It looks like desoldering the upper PCB from the lower is the most annoying part (besides not losing springs):
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Logitech+Wireless+Gaming+Mouse+G700+Left-Right+Click+Button+Replacement/95701

As for feet I'd just get some on Amazon, too. Fortunately they all seem to have good reviews:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=g700+feet

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I get that there's not much incentive from the manufacturer's side, but I wish this stuff was made with user reparability/maintenance in mind. Such a waste to toss the whole thing when it's often just one part that's worn down.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
To be fair, this thing has lasted me a good 7 years at this point, and was literally sent to me as a replacement for a MX1000 by Logitech (which also had a bad right-switch after many many years of use).

Rexxed posted:

If you're going to go through the trouble, I've read (on this thread iirc) that you should look for Omron replacements made in Japan. Supposedly they have a better build quality than the Omron switches made in China. I don't know if that's true but they don't cost that much more so you may as well.
There's a lot of success stories on the reviews of these on Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/D2F-01F-Switch-Microswitch-Subminiature-Logitech/dp/B0062WNDLI/

You probably saw one already, but here's a repair guide. It looks like desoldering the upper PCB from the lower is the most annoying part (besides not losing springs):
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Logitech+Wireless+Gaming+Mouse+G700+Left-Right+Click+Button+Replacement/95701

As for feet I'd just get some on Amazon, too. Fortunately they all seem to have good reviews:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=g700+feet

Appreciate the quick reply.

I am usable with a soldering iron, but I might ask my dad to do it. A perk of being the son of an electrical engineer.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So I got my replacement mouse, Xm1r. Feels much better over the xm1 it replaces. Too bad there is no software for me to change the dpi nor the firmware that fixes the middle mouse button issues. This is on top of the X-ray aqua control + mousepad I just got having terrible x/y and a bare spot after a month is use(thanks Reddit).

I almost want to give up on this and go back to reading books.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Koskun posted:

I'd get kailh gm 8.0 switches. A tiny bit stiffer than the stock omrons, a bit louder (unfortunately), but they're far less likely to fail. I'm not entirely sure why they haven't caught on in the enthusiast mouse market. Kailh is a good switch company for keyboards & mice. I haven't personally tried the 8.0s yet but I have used the 4.0 for a while. Despite being a bit heavier, they rebound better so don't interfere with click speed. I like very light switches & dislike heavy so felt like I was gambling when I tried the kailh switch but it turned out great.

sound comparison (not mine), left-most mouse has gm 4.0, middle mouse has gm 2.0, right most mouse has omrons. I'd expect 8.0 to sound like 4.0 but maybe it's a bit quieter given the force is halfway between 4.0 and 2.0. You can still buy 4.0s on aliexpress too and they're cheap (~$1.25/switch vs >$2/switch of 8.0) if you want.

If the g700 design is anything like the g703 then desoldering the switches is kinda annoying. You'll benefit from a third hand and probably want some flux to help with desoldering. Not required.

Skate-wise, I'd grab tigerarcs from aliexpress while I'm there buying switches. I grabbed these for my g703 and switched from the hyperglides I had previously. Pretty good, a bit less 'premium' than hyperglides but functionally identical. At 15% the price you're getting 98% of the skate with 100% of the performance. I use them on hard pads and have had no issues. Make sure you get the "newer" edition with the angled sides, but I think that's all people sell now anyway.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 25, 2021

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
FWIW goons I picked up the Aerox 3. It's been pretty good so far, after taking a few moments or an hour or so to get used to.

I didn't think I'd enjoy the light weight as much as I do, but I do. I can fairly comfortably palm it too. I'm convinced that mouse grip styles is astrology for gamers now.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm actually annoyed that this $15 wired mouse looks and feels better than the other ones I was using.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N5WHP5G/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_ZSF0C597A744FK4219B4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My Logitech G604 was good but I always hated the feel of the scroll wheel (I prefer non-clicky rubber ones like the one I linked) and then it broke. So I exchanged it at the store for a Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless, where the wheel felt loose and skippy out of the box and then I saw all the reviews warning about the scroll wheel breaking, so don't buy that one. Apparently Corsair mice suck despite their other products being decent.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I need a new mouse (mainly for games) and I'm having a time trying to find something that fits. Until recently I had the G500, which was perfect. Nice and heavy, three buttons on the side, ideal shape. Sadly, she now dead.

Since then I've tried:

Logitech G502 - I figured this would be an ideal replacement, but it's got a flatter shape than the G500 that instantly made my hand ache.
Corsair Ironclaw - comfortable and seemingly has lots of buttons, but the software loving sucks and I could never get it to remap the buttons properly. Also, it does this phantom double click thing which is super annoying.
Razer Naga Pro - Having tons of buttons seemed interesting and the software is good, but it feels like it's made for a child's hand. Like the G502, my hand aches after using it.

Looking for something that's on the larger side, not too flat, with at least two but pref three side buttons. Any other recommendations?

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 26, 2021

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

it dont matter posted:

I need a new mouse (mainly for games) and I'm having a time trying to find something that fits. Until recently I had the G500, which was perfect. Nice and heavy, three buttons on the side, ideal shape. Sadly, she now dead.

Since then I've tried:

Logitech G502 - I figured this would be an ideal replacement, but it's got a flatter shape than the G500 that instantly made my hand ache.
Corsair Ironclaw - comfortable and seemingly has lots of buttons, but the software loving sucks and I could never get it to remap the buttons properly. Also, it does this phantom double click thing which is super annoying.
Razer Naga Pro - Having tons of buttons seemed interesting and the software is good, but it feels like it's made for a child's hand. Like the G502, my hand aches after using it.

Looking for something that's on the larger side, not too flat, with at least two but pref three side buttons. Any other recommendations?

The Logitech MX518 is very similar to the old G5/G500. Alternatively - how did you feel about the old IntelliMouse shape? The IntelliMouse 3.0 is a high quality mouse with some broad similarities.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

it dont matter posted:

Since then I've tried:

I would recommend the Razer Basilisk v2 if you need something right now or the Endgame Gear XM1r if you can wait for the jank to be sorted out.

The XM1R has a great build quality, only weights 70g and fits larger hands like a dream. The only issue is Endgame Gear itself. Since the mouse was launched a few months ago, it has been plagued with issues like slam clicking from flicking the mouse too quickly that requires you to turn off the algorithm on the mouse every time you plug it into a power source. You have to go on their discord to find beta firmware to hope it resolves the issue. There was also suppose to be a configuration software for the XM1r but they have no timeline for it's launch so you are stuck with 400, 800, 1600, 3200 dpi.

The support experience is terrible. You have to post on their discord where anyone can chime in with their advice. I am trying to resolve a issue with my XM1's scroll wheel activating the middle mouse button when i scroll up and down. People keep on telling me to do steps for the XM1r which is not what I have and stated in the beginning I am using the XM1 that i had gotten as my recent RMA. I had to make a video to show people that it is in fact a XM1 and pointed out that I stated I was using a XM1 before I got proper assistance. All that effort to get a RMA on a mouse I already rma'ed once before.

The Razer Basilisk v2 works out of the box, used optical switches so you don't have to worry about early double clicking, or ghost inputs, and software to customize it out of the box. Just get the Razer Basilisk v2.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TacticalHoodie posted:

I would recommend the Razer Basilisk v2 if you need something right now or the Endgame Gear XM1r if you can wait for the jank to be sorted out.

The XM1R has a great build quality, only weights 70g and fits larger hands like a dream. The only issue is Endgame Gear itself. Since the mouse was launched a few months ago, it has been plagued with issues like slam clicking from flicking the mouse too quickly that requires you to turn off the algorithm on the mouse every time you plug it into a power source. You have to go on their discord to find beta firmware to hope it resolves the issue. There was also suppose to be a configuration software for the XM1r but they have no timeline for it's launch so you are stuck with 400, 800, 1600, 3200 dpi.

The support experience is terrible. You have to post on their discord where anyone can chime in with their advice. I am trying to resolve a issue with my XM1's scroll wheel activating the middle mouse button when i scroll up and down. People keep on telling me to do steps for the XM1r which is not what I have and stated in the beginning I am using the XM1 that i had gotten as my recent RMA. I had to make a video to show people that it is in fact a XM1 and pointed out that I stated I was using a XM1 before I got proper assistance. All that effort to get a RMA on a mouse I already rma'ed once before.

The Razer Basilisk v2 works out of the box, used optical switches so you don't have to worry about early double clicking, or ghost inputs, and software to customize it out of the box. Just get the Razer Basilisk v2.

Thanks. I'll give it a go. I'd dismissed the Basilisk before because I found a review that said the shape was similar to the G502. But I'm bored of looking so I've just ordered the Basilisk and a few others, and will take advantage of amazon's generous return policy to send back the ones I don't like.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

it dont matter posted:

Thanks. I'll give it a go. I'd dismissed the Basilisk before because I found a review that said the shape was similar to the G502. But I'm bored of looking so I've just ordered the Basilisk and a few others, and will take advantage of amazon's generous return policy to send back the ones I don't like.

Just a note that endgame gear staff are awesome as hell. They got my mouse onto bootloader mode and flashed the mouse with the proper firmware and fixed it.

I been dealing with their fan base and holy gently caress talk about people who get angry over loving nothing.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

it dont matter posted:

You might find this shape comparison tool useful (stacked outline is the easiest to see). The Basilisk is indeed very similar to the G502 (it was based on it, after all), but should be slightly less flat.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

runawayturtles posted:

You might find this shape comparison tool useful (stacked outline is the easiest to see). The Basilisk is indeed very similar to the G502 (it was based on it, after all), but should be slightly less flat.

Oh my god, it's finally the tool I've been hoping and praying for for years. Finally, I can loving figure out an alternative to the G502/MX518 shape that I can't seem to get away from but also doesn't have switches that are rear end!

I swear to god, I need to drop these RTings guys an extra hundo somehow.

And then I need to look into an ROG Chakram.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And then I need to look into an ROG Chakram.

Got this one today.

Shape is okay, good for big hands. Joystick widget is a gimmick. I think it'd be more useful if it was a more distinct four-way click, but as it's supposed to act as an analogue ministick it feels really imprecise and mushy. I also found it to be uncomfortably positioned as I had to shift my hand to reach it, but that might depend on your hand size.

Real killer was the buggy Asus software which meant I couldn't configure the joystick for anything but the three onboard profiles.

So it's another one to send back. Really testing the limits of amazon's return policy here.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Logitech G PRO X Superlight, only $160 including shipping. I guess it's nice, but drat that price is bonkers.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Might I suggest the pwnage ultra custom sym? It's like half the price. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks but it's almost exactly a wireless version of the hati-m from g wolves. Battery life is pretty good: couple of days to a week? Charges back up in less than an hour. No complaints from me. Just figured I'd throw this out there for anyone on the fence.

Also the software - I ran it once to set my dpi and bindings and then promptly have not opened it since.

Only complaint is I'd like to see the LEDs reflect the battery percent , but small gripe. Idk if any mice do this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Love these manufacturer/mouse names.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

it dont matter posted:

Got this one today.

Shape is okay, good for big hands. Joystick widget is a gimmick. I think it'd be more useful if it was a more distinct four-way click, but as it's supposed to act as an analogue ministick it feels really imprecise and mushy. I also found it to be uncomfortably positioned as I had to shift my hand to reach it, but that might depend on your hand size.

Real killer was the buggy Asus software which meant I couldn't configure the joystick for anything but the three onboard profiles.

So it's another one to send back. Really testing the limits of amazon's return policy here.

I care less about the joystick, and more about finding an alternative for the G502 whose switches don't die six months in. RTings's overlay indicated that the two shapes were so identical that ASUS must have just chucked a G502 into a tub of silicone and outright stole the profile.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
^ For real, I feel like it's a beautiful industry where a company can have the tagline 'Life's a game, pwn it!' in tyool 2021. It does look like a good mouse!

LordAdakos posted:

Only complaint is I'd like to see the LEDs reflect the battery percent , but small gripe. Idk if any mice do this.

Razer Viper does fwiw, but with like a variety of rainbow colors since it's Razer.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

foutre posted:

^ For real, I feel like it's a beautiful industry where a company can have the tagline 'Life's a game, pwn it!' in tyool 2021. It does look like a good mouse!

In general I think it's quite a healthy market. Barriers to entry aren't too high and firms compete on cost and quality. Most companies can't rest on their laurels (Finalmouse is now a joke among the mouse spergs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
So I have no idea if this is posted in this thread all the time, but holy hell I just discovered this. No more Logitech G Hub for me. That program is the worst possible "mouse manager". Logitech has had this up since the end of last year (or at least this version). Whatever it can't do that GHub can, it's worth it to never have to worry about ghub ever again. Looks like I'm going back to AHK for macros instead of my mouse software.

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133

I really like my logitech mice, but I haven't bought one since the last mouse I bought required G Hub. The random profile switching, switching to the wrong profile on application switch, not switching on application switch, not having PRINT SCREEN!?, the constant crashing... Just SO done and wanted to share this holy grail of finds.