Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this thread's basically now got the same energy as the now-defunct PYF Ban or Probation threads, only posed slightly before or during the fact rather than after

i would be surprised if it were possible to rein it back to "post your favourite forums historical event" without some outlet for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Snowy posted:

Separate threads for sagas from the past and current drama commentary would make sense

A good suggestion that did not deserve to die at the bottom of a page

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh, I'm super aware this thread is going to remain drama central too :lol: But in the past the Sagas chat and the drama chat balanced each other out enough the thread would shift naturally between the upsetting things and the oddball nostalgic things. At least that's how I remember it :) Drama alone could probably sustain its own thread but a PYF Drama thread sounds just terrible; and a PYF Sagas usually doesn't move fast enough to stand individually with the other megathreads.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I'll third that.

This thread should mostly be about stuff in the past that's already happened

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Don't feel a drama thread is good for this sub in particular. Pyf is supposed to be more like byob, more casual and a drama thread would be inviting infighting and more drama, something I don't think the mods here really want to deal with. We stopped all the pyf ban threads because they became nothing more then a drama thread and bitching about unjust probes and bitching about admins. Even if many of the reasons for permabans are lost to the wind now.

There's tons of forum stuff to talk about, but maybe a rule that current ongoing stuff is not the fit for this thread and tapering it off will help

Again let's talk about how ugly the bachelor thread got as goons went past the classic shower beer to uh, being goony goons and the cum vase

Or why mayor wilkins lost his loving mind.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Pyf is supposed to be more like byob

lol

i mean don't get me wrong it would be nice but idk if the Lists Forum directly compares. it's an excel spreadsheet with punchains

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol

i mean don't get me wrong it would be nice but idk if the Lists Forum directly compares. it's an excel spreadsheet with punchains

Punchains? I'd like to see a link to that!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Don't feel a drama thread is good for this sub in particular. Pyf is supposed to be more like byob, more casual and a drama thread would be inviting infighting and more drama, something I don't think the mods here really want to deal with. We stopped all the pyf ban threads because they became nothing more then a drama thread and bitching about unjust probes and bitching about admins. Even if many of the reasons for permabans are lost to the wind now.

There's tons of forum stuff to talk about, but maybe a rule that current ongoing stuff is not the fit for this thread and tapering it off will help

Again let's talk about how ugly the bachelor thread got as goons went past the classic shower beer to uh, being goony goons and the cum vase

I mean, good luck with that but if poo poo's going down on the forums people are going to talk about it rule or no

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I feel like there wasn't too much current stuff being brought up until the last couple weeks.

Maybe we just need to recommit to avoiding current drama.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Punchains? I'd like to see a link to that!

I don't think you have the metal for it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the temperance movement comes to pyf

~lips that touch modjokes shall never touch mine~

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

EasilyConfused posted:

I feel like there wasn't too much current stuff being brought up until the last couple weeks.

Maybe we just need to recommit to avoiding current drama.

Yeah I think this is a better idea than making a different thread FOR monitoring current drama. This thread's purpose is to talk about stuff people weren't around for, so having another separate permanent record of who was around for it commenting from the peanut gallery kind of defeats that purpose.

edit: For example, if drama happens and someone is like "woah I missed this where do I read about this???", the link should go to the drama, not to a thread talking about the drama.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Mar 24, 2021

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

UCS Hellmaker posted:

yeah and lets talk about the what are you wearing today thread and post the video of the awkward goon with streetwear he can't pull off so we can laugh at it!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Counterpoint I never would have found out about grovertruck of it wasn't for this thread

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Yeah, I do like this thread being able to provide running commentary on developing sagas, like He Who Furiously Masturbates to Anime Titties and goons breaking EVE.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Len posted:

Counterpoint I never would have found out about grovertruck of it wasn't for this thread

Yeah, I suppose it's more ongoing controversies rather than ongoing sagas that are the problem. There's obviously overlap, but stuff like Grovertruck isn't going to cause forum disputes to takeover the thread.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But I also like to click into QCS just to see what molehill someone is deciding to make a mountain out of this time. It's never a dull time

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

steinrokkan posted:

but not fat

as god is my witness ,they are not at all fat

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, I do like this thread being able to provide running commentary on developing sagas, like He Who Furiously Masturbates to Anime Titties and goons breaking EVE.

That's another reason to keep Sagas and drama in the same thread, I think. There's a lot of overlap, and needing to tab between two threads to get the full picture of what happened at the time is silly; the alternative is probably that everything gets dumped into the Drama thread and the Sagas one is eventually made redundant.

I just miss people asking about Sagas in here :) It always inspired such nice back and forth.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I know a Drama Commentary thread isn't ideal but I appreciate having a place that contextualizes the latest 15-page QCS thread where everyone is hopping mad.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Also just in case we've confused ourselves here I'm only asking about a thread reboot with a different OP, so that the old stories float up more often. Having them all in the OP works against that and talking about them was nice. I am not suggesting any other change. :)

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Mar 25, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think things are working pretty good.

I vote keep it.

I manage to learn quite a bit about what’s going on without having to click around.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think mods stepping in to rein in current-drama derails as needed has worked fairly well. There is frequently a gray area between drama and saga, and sometimes it's helpful getting backstory for the QCS circus of the week.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Mar 25, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think a new thread where the detailed saga links got a bit memory-hole'd could be fun, provided no enforced culture/subject matter changes beside.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Here’s a question about a recent saga. What was the post that the coward Son of Thunderbeast has deleted and what should his punishment be?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

oldpainless posted:

Here’s a question about a recent saga. What was the post that the coward Son of Thunderbeast has deleted and what should his punishment be?

It was an oldpainless joke and punishment should be renaming them youngpainless

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I think people are a little too eager to bring things here immediately, especially if its something happening in a smaller thread

a fun moment can be ruined by a million posters rushing in to rubberneck

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Inceltown posted:

It was an oldpainless joke and punishment should be renaming them youngpainless

I agree

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The smallest of Barts

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oldpainless the Younger

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

More like oldpainful.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

christmas boots posted:

Oldpainless the Younger

LORD PALMERSTON

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

If we remake the thread the OP should be in the style of old GBS storytelling threads with a bunch of salacious but vague story titles and an offer to elaborate if anyone is interested.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gather round young goons, and hear the story of printer goon.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wonder what the earliest notable goon saga is, the ur-goon if you will

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wonder what the earliest notable goon saga is, the ur-goon if you will

Odysseus dressing like a homeless person and throwing salt into his fields because he didn’t want to go on a trip.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

only thing missing from the OP is links to previous sagas threads. as far as the thread vibe, it always seemed a mix of old stories and current gossip. I say let it ride until we have a good enough live event to goldmine it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Odysseus dressing like a homeless person and throwing salt into his fields because he didn’t want to go on a trip.

I guess Diogenes was a sort of proto-grovertruk too, in a general sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I guess Diogenes was a sort of proto-grovertruk too, in a general sense.

That's be Icarus.