Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FogHelmut posted:

Klymit is giving away their X Pillow and a grey V Seat on their website for free, but you pay $19 shipping. They offer you more discounts on other items after checkout ($35 sleep pad, $7 additional V seat).

Do you have a link? I went to their website and didn't see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

First aid kits discussed are pretty good from what I've seen.

I've had wilderness first aid training awhile back, and I think they would also recommend:
  • compression wraps for sprained ankles
  • irrigating syringe to clean out wounds

Irrigating syringes are blunt, from what I recall. Don't carry around a syringe that is sharper than it needs to be. If you are picking one up for your kit, then make sure you know it's for and how to use it. Always use clean water, preferably distilled.

I forgot how to apply compression wraps so I need a friend who is available that is ok with me touching their feet. Anyone available?

If you plan on bringing a first aid book (or pamphlet), make sure you read it first, before you go!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh I've fallen for that before. I swear to god if you jerk off on my feet again....

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think thats my friend. Hes former military thats now a paramedic and he always kept telling me to add a tourniquet over and over until I finally bought one. Its sitting in my basement now, still not sure if it will be the automatic throw in that my first aid kit is. It would double the weight of my kit even if thats still not much.

In 10+ years of hiking and being outdoors I cant think of a single time I would've needed one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thing about first aid gear is you hardly ever need it, until you need it really badly.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh I've fallen for that before. I swear to god if you jerk off on my feet again....

that's why we use the lighter to burn the hair off

wait, I think that's for AEDs

I think I need a refresher

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

withak posted:

Thing about first aid gear is you hardly ever need it, until you need it really badly.

That's all fine but the expected value you will get out of a tourniquet is really very low (because the situation where you will need it is so rare) and the potential for doing harm with it is very high. In particular I think ex-military types really need to understand why tourniquets are a first-line treatment in combat care and a last-line treatment in civilian emergency care, and I don't think most people should be carrying them without a very thorough understanding of what will happen after the tourniquet has been applied. The CLS training is "once the tourniquet is on, that limb is fixed and you don't need to worry about it any more;" that's wildly inappropriate in civvie EMS and potentially disastrous in a situation like wilderness medicine where care may be delayed. For that reason, I don't think a CAT belongs in a general backpacking or camping kit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Do you have a link? I went to their website and didn't see anything.

https://klymit.com/a/search?q=Free&type=product

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I picked them both up for $20.02. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

My usual first aid kit is pretty minimal, but as far as bleeding control goes the order of things to take ought to be:

1.) Wide and long enough elastic bandage to serve as a robust pressure dressing
2.) Hemostatic dressing (celox or similar probably better than combat gauze or other kaolin based dressings, since it's gonna be packed in there for hours)
3.) Tourniquet dead last

Never makes sense to take a tourniquet without the other two first. And honestly, it's probably way more useful to take a SAM splint or three and 2 lbs of duct tape before any of those.

I'm not even sure what kind of halfway realistic backpacking injury could result in life-threatening extremity bleeding that can't be controlled without a tourniquet. If you're doing trail work with power tools/chainsaws, or operating a snowmobile, ATV, whatever, then it probably makes a lot more sense to take one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You never know when a land shark is gonna come racing down a scree slope looking to bite a leg off.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Honestly my medical kit is more quality of life related, and covers 98% of outdoor problems I’ve run into or expect to run into.

Tools:
    -Nail Clippers
    -Tweezers
    -Tick Key
    -Miniature multitool with pliers function
    -Wound Irrigation Syringe and a few packs of betadyne (iodine) antibiotic wound dressing

Dressings:
    -Gauze
    -Kinetic Tape
    -Liquid Bandage
    -a few regular bandages and butterfly bandages
    -credit card sized sheet of adhesive backed moleskin to cut for blisters

Meds:
    -Ibuprofen
    -benadryl (allergies and swelling and can also help w/ sleep)
    -Sudafed
    -Immodium
    -Zinc Oxide for chafing relief

Misc
    -Aquamira tabs in case water filter gets clogged
    -Single sealed esbit fire tablet and tiny spare lighter

I keep everything in pill bottles and in this greatDyneema first aid pouch.

I should add some single serve packets of sunscreen and aloe gel for burn relief, but chances are you’d need more of both than any emergency pack would provide, sooo fuggit. Also keep meaning to toss a pair of vinyl gloves and some paper/small pencil in for notes as well

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 25, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I jealously guard my first aid kit because it's where I keep my spare match and tinder in a film canister and it's impossible for me to find spare film canisters anymore

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Above list is pretty much what I have, but one particular item I always bring is ~20 ft of good duct tape rolled up on a very short/thin dowel rod (broken pencil, etc). Often ends up being handy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sb hermit posted:

I jealously guard my first aid kit because it's where I keep my spare match and tinder in a film canister and it's impossible for me to find spare film canisters anymore

If you know any diabetics get a test strip canister, about the closest modern equivalent you can get. They have a desiccant in them too!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any legitimacy to using a tea bag to stop bleeding? Seems dual use.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FogHelmut posted:

Any legitimacy to using a tea bag to stop bleeding? Seems dual use.

sounds like a pretty steep order since they don't really absorb liquid like, say, a tampon does. Before t oolong you'll just be holding a teabag against a wound and it'll be saturated and the bleeding will not be stopped.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

sb hermit posted:

This got me wondering (because I was a photo technician while on summer/winter break in 2007 and haven't looked for film since then) and apparently you can just buy film canisters in bulk on Amazon.
Neat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FAUXTON posted:

sounds like a pretty steep order since they don't really absorb liquid like, say, a tampon does. Before t oolong you'll just be holding a teabag against a wound and it'll be saturated and the bleeding will not be stopped.

:dadjoke:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I use nuun tubes. Includes a desiccant cap as well. Nuun is also great to have on a trip, so I have no problem coming up with more.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

xzzy posted:

If you know any diabetics get a test strip canister, about the closest modern equivalent you can get. They have a desiccant in them too!

Diabetes runs in the family :smith: but at least I can stave it off by hiking. We've all been staving it off by hiking. Thanks for the tip!

poeticoddity posted:

This got me wondering (because I was a photo technician while on summer/winter break in 2007 and haven't looked for film since then) and apparently you can just buy film canisters in bulk on Amazon.
Neat.

Nice. But they come in packs of 60 for $12. Anyone (with prime) want to split a set? I only need, like, one. Maybe two.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
I always bring a few ski straps, mostly for splinting limbs (or repairing a broken ski boot buckle/binding/skin attachment; I usually take the same kit ski touring, climbing and backpacking) but they would do adequate work as a tourniquet in extremis. Outside of a bear attack, I have trouble imagining when a tourniquet would be useful in a backpacking scenario.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Math You posted:

I use nuun tubes. Includes a desiccant cap as well. Nuun is also great to have on a trip, so I have no problem coming up with more.

What is the best flavor?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

nate fisher posted:

What is the best flavor?

I actually find them all to be pretty inoffensive and samey. One of their selling points is that they are way less sweet than Gatorade. Tastes pretty good when you've worked up a sweat and pretty bland when you're at rest.

If I had to pick I'd say fruit punch, and lemon lime. Cherry limeaide if you want caffeine but my heart rate doesn't need any help getting up there.

I should note that you probably want the sport line.. they've added a few more over the years that seem pretty useless, so make sure it's "Nuun Sport"

Edit: they are sweetened with stevia and taste like it. Took me a bit of getting used to but I know a couple people who couldn't get past it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Morbus posted:

I'm not even sure what kind of halfway realistic backpacking injury could result in life-threatening extremity bleeding that can't be controlled without a tourniquet. If you're doing trail work with power tools/chainsaws, or operating a snowmobile, ATV, whatever, then it probably makes a lot more sense to take one.

There was a guy two summers ago who died in the backcountry 3 canoe portages into the wilderness. The CO's canoed in and found him dead. He had tried to tourniquet his leg. They think he slipped while rigging a line and sliced open the back of his thigh and bled out in 10 minutes.

https://www.uppermichiganssource.co...-561150481.html
https://www.detroitnews.com/in-dept...ent/4090204002/

I've never used any of the traumapads or quick clot stuff, but I'm curious would they have done any good?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Even in the military we’re taught to do more than just apply a TQ and call it good, but it does sometimes get distilled to that. The main point of a TQ is to give you time to move the wounded person to a safer position, and apply a pressure bandage while you wait for a medic or an evac to take over. It also buys you time to move the person farther to get help if need be.

I agree it probably isn’t the most important part of a kit for most backpacking trips, but it can buy you more time WHEN USED WITH pressure bandages to try to either get help to you or bring the person to help.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yooper posted:

I've never used any of the traumapads or quick clot stuff, but I'm curious would they have done any good?

Those have an expiration date, just a heads up.

I don't know if you can use it after that date, but it has one listed on the package.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

hypnophant posted:

No, 6 hours is about what I learned in EMT-B in 2006.

People who got medical training in the military really, really overestimate the importance and value of tourniquets (and needle decompression) in civilian care. In 6 years in civilian EMS I saw arterial bleeding only a handful of times, but was able to control it every time without using a tourniquet. We didn't even carry the fancy tourniquets on the truck since you could easily improvise one with cravats if you really needed it. I haven't taken a wilderness course but I doubt they'd have any more value there, and frankly I think they'd have close to zero value in the SHTF scenario either, since you really are writing off the limb if you put a tourniquet on without modern emergency care immediately available to back it up (and writing off the organism, too, if you don't have some kind of surgeon who can amputate after the limb is lost.) That doesn't stop North American Rescue from selling CATs to every prepper putting together a bugout bag, though.

I completed by EMT-B in '08 and received the same training. We were really luck to have an instructor who worked ALS for the local fire department and moonlighted as a SWAT medic do our bleeding control training. He took a lot of pains to explain that the military's training on when to apply a tourniquet was really specialized to the situation they were seeing in Afghanistan and Iraq. Lots of mass casualty incidents due to IEDs where traumatic amputations were common with substantial casualty evacuation support. On top of that the training required to apply a tourniquet is so minimal that you can have pretty much everyone in the unit carrying one and familiar with how to apply it. That way in the case of a mass casualty event any personal on site can address a traumatic amputation on the spot while medical staff work on other life threatening injuries.

For civilian medical emergencies a tourniquet just isnt as useful. For a start, the type of injuries a tourniquet is used to address are far less common. On top of that since often times access to care is going to take longer, especially if you are in the wilderness, attempting other methods to control bleeding first is more important. Combine that with how easy it is to improvise a tourniquet and its really hard to justify putting one in your first aid kits when there are so many other items you could carry that are useful for addressing the kind of injuries that actually do happen.

Its difficult to talk about this though since you can hop on youtube and find dozens of videos from former service members with very little wilderness and civilian EMS experience discussing how crucial it is to always have a tourniquet. On top of that they've practically become a fashion item for extremely tactical types. The whole thing is just kind of silly, really.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

On top of that they've practically become a fashion item for extremely tactical types.
This 100%. I know 2 people who carry them in their pickup trucks (with street tires on them).

I mentioned having 1 instructor who went over the use, but was strongly encouraging to try everything else under the sun first, and then the other instructor who was ultra-gung ho. It reminded me of taking my concealed carry class a long time ago: I had an instructor who was very much "don't draw ever ever ever" and we spent a shitton of time on legal ramifications of playing John Rambo. Then again a class 5-6 years ago where everyone just wanted an excuse to shoot someone.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Its difficult to talk about this though since you can hop on youtube and find dozens of videos from former service members with very little wilderness and civilian EMS experience discussing how crucial it is to always have a tourniquet. On top of that they've practically become a fashion item for extremely tactical types. The whole thing is just kind of silly, really.

I saw one video (might have been Garand Thumb, who I've since stopped watching, so I won't go digging to verify) suggest that since you have four limbs, you should be carrying four tourniquets. That kind of thing is pervasive in certain communities and it doesn't make any sense, from an emergency medicine perspective.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I do carry quick clot and can actually recall at least ONE time that would've been useful, a nice alternative for folks who dont want to carry a tourniquet.

Got lucky on eBay and got an old school Kelty external frame backpack to replace my small Mystery Ranch scree as my training pack. Its heavy and a beast but makes carrying 45 pounds of kitty litter a whole lot easier.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I picked up a Kelty Cache Hauler on clearance a while back and really like it. As an added bonus mil-surp MOLE bags fit it very well so it has multiple bag options on the cheap. For doing stuff out in Texas the extra weight is pretty manageable but Im curious how much Im going to feel it if I take it up to a higher altitude.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
my sleeping pad got a small cut in it, so i used nemo's 'in the field' patch and it worked great. wondering if i should now apply a larger patch with some adhesive on top of that or just replace the pad altogether. am i rolling the dice each time i go out with it that it's not going to eventually reopen?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

ROFLburger posted:

my sleeping pad got a small cut in it, so i used nemo's 'in the field' patch and it worked great. wondering if i should now apply a larger patch with some adhesive on top of that or just replace the pad altogether. am i rolling the dice each time i go out with it that it's not going to eventually reopen?

If its a cut, I would put a tenacious tape or some equivalent gear tape and maybe put some flexible goop on top of it. The goop repair I made to my sleeping pad pinhole has held up for several years now.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
Hi, y'all! I'm finally making the leap from day hikes to overnight backpacking trips. After reading a good chunk of this thread, I've decided to just buy the lightest stuff right off instead of testing out so-so gear and then having to buy twice.

I've decided to get a Warbonnet hammock (the OG Blackbird), but I'm a little overwhelmed by the options. Single Layer, Lightweight-, or Heavyweight Double Layer (my instinct says Lightweight Double)? As far as suspension goes, the Whoopies w/Dynaweave Straps seem great, but should i get the Becket suspension? Should I get my suspension gear elsewhere? I've already ordered a top quilt from Hammock Gear, so I'm set there.

Is there any reason I shouldn't splurge on a Zpack backpack? I'm eyeing the Arc Air 50L.

I think that covers my big questions! I tend to massively overthink things before committing, so I'd love any input from you all!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Spanish Inquisition posted:

Hi, y'all! I'm finally making the leap from day hikes to overnight backpacking trips. After reading a good chunk of this thread, I've decided to just buy the lightest stuff right off instead of testing out so-so gear and then having to buy twice.

I've decided to get a Warbonnet hammock (the OG Blackbird), but I'm a little overwhelmed by the options. Single Layer, Lightweight-, or Heavyweight Double Layer (my instinct says Lightweight Double)? As far as suspension goes, the Whoopies w/Dynaweave Straps seem great, but should i get the Becket suspension? Should I get my suspension gear elsewhere? I've already ordered a top quilt from Hammock Gear, so I'm set there.

Is there any reason I shouldn't splurge on a Zpack backpack? I'm eyeing the Arc Air 50L.

I think that covers my big questions! I tend to massively overthink things before committing, so I'd love any input from you all!

OK for the hammock how much do you weigh? That will go a large way in determining if you want a double or single layer. Another consideration is that 2 layer hammocks let you use a sleeping pad like a foam Zlite much more easier as you're getting started out and dont want to buy an underquilt right off the bat.

Suspensions are largely a personal preference. For people new to hammocks I usually recommend cinch buckles. They're dead simple to use and adjust and they dont weigh that much more. Down the line you can swap out suspensions if you want to try something new. Myerstech on eBay, Autumn Ultralight, Dutchware, etc all sell different suspension components.

What will you be using for an underquilt?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sb hermit posted:

Diabetes runs in the family :smith: but at least I can stave it off by hiking. We've all been staving it off by hiking. Thanks for the tip!

Nice. But they come in packs of 60 for $12. Anyone (with prime) want to split a set? I only need, like, one. Maybe two.

I shoot film so I have plenty lying around. If you wanted to PM me your address, I can toss a couple in the mail in the next week or so, whenever I venture into the outside again.

---

Re: med kits

I picked up one of the mountain adventure medical kits if only because the pack itself folds up nicely and I really like the pocket organization. I've swapped out a lot of stuff over time for my own use type.

One thing I really like to carry around that I don't think I've seen mentioned is small-ish patches of tegaderm/saniderm. They're waterproof sterile bandages that I really like because once you clean the wound/abrasion/cut/hotspot and slap it on, it flexes really well, adheres super strong, but the adhesive is still gentle and doesn't cause much irritation.

It's especially really nice for abrasions or cuts on my hands or something, because it's a tough barrier that flexes, so I still have pretty much 100% movement still.

Also, the bigger sheets are great for tattoo healing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I rarely use anything in my kit but the thing I've used most is probably hydrocortizone for bug bites. I used moleskin once and that was really nice to have.

Although I don't use it ever I still think a first aid kit is necessary and should be brought on any hike. Mine is small and doesn't weigh much but it's worth it to have those options if needed. Adding a joint or gummy would probably be a good idea on those long hikes that I just want to be over.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Casu Marzu posted:

I shoot film so I have plenty lying around. If you wanted to PM me your address, I can toss a couple in the mail in the next week or so, whenever I venture into the outside again.

Thank you for the offer but I'll be fine. I shoudn't be making any more emergency firestarter kits anyway, seeing as how I live in California and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Do people really breakdown their tents at the beginning of the day after waking up so it doesn't get hot inside and rebuild it once it's nearing sundown?

Let's see how my new neoair xlite handles the Florida Everglades this weekend. Will i be sound asleep on it or jumping into the gator invested lake next to me trying to cool off, tune in!