Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Has anyone here played Never Going Home by any chance? It's got some beautiful art that has me interested, but I know about 0 about the actual system or how well it works in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

SkyeAuroline posted:

Has anyone here played Never Going Home by any chance? It's got some beautiful art that has me interested, but I know about 0 about the actual system or how well it works in practice.

Oh hey I recognize that. Made by a company local to my city.

I've only ever played it once at a local con, but I did have fun with it. Didn't really get to read through the book though, as it was just sitting down to play through a couple of scenes. They didn't have premades though, but that did not seem to matter as character gen was quick.

It's been a few years. But I recall the first bit was our unit going through a trench/bunker engagement to acquire intel, which then lead to the second scene where we tried to figure out how to sort out an ambush with that intel. By the end we discovered some cult involvement, worked out some makeshift explosives to destroy their altar and it ended with the Thing they worshiped waking up and lumbering out of a nearby cave.

I believe I ended up making a sniper, if I'm remembering right the number of pips you had in a type of skill would help your roll. Also recall some method of spending d6 in order to increase those skills.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arthil posted:

Oh hey I recognize that. Made by a company local to my city.

I've only ever played it once at a local con, but I did have fun with it. Didn't really get to read through the book though, as it was just sitting down to play through a couple of scenes. They didn't have premades though, but that did not seem to matter as character gen was quick.

It's been a few years. But I recall the first bit was our unit going through a trench/bunker engagement to acquire intel, which then lead to the second scene where we tried to figure out how to sort out an ambush with that intel. By the end we discovered some cult involvement, worked out some makeshift explosives to destroy their altar and it ended with the Thing they worshiped waking up and lumbering out of a nearby cave.

I believe I ended up making a sniper, if I'm remembering right the number of pips you had in a type of skill would help your roll. Also recall some method of spending d6 in order to increase those skills.

Yeah, familiar with the publisher by proxy.
Sounds like an interesting one-shot. Easy to pick up and learn, then? Might give it a go when I'm feeling up for GMing, if reading it doesn't throw any red flags.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I have a Foundry question, hope someone can give me some guidance.

I've been running a Pathfinder 2e game on Foundry and self-hosting. Foundry is great but my laptop kind of sucks and some nights its a struggle making it work. Can I convert to The Forge or something and start webhosting? Is it easy to do? There's new options now besides just The Forge, are they any good?

One other wrinkle is my group will be switching off DMs in a couple months, will my friend be able to use the same webhost that I get? Is there anyway to swing that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

I have a Foundry question, hope someone can give me some guidance.

I've been running a Pathfinder 2e game on Foundry and self-hosting. Foundry is great but my laptop kind of sucks and some nights its a struggle making it work. Can I convert to The Forge or something and start webhosting? Is it easy to do? There's new options now besides just The Forge, are they any good?

One other wrinkle is my group will be switching off DMs in a couple months, will my friend be able to use the same webhost that I get? Is there anyway to swing that?

Yes, yes, and yes.

You can upload your existing world file to the Forge - you may have to do some manipulation to get the data arranged correctly/working with addons, but it can be done. It's easy to set up and get going.

You can assign your friend as a GM inside the Foundry instance, same as you can if you were hosting it yourself.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah the way my current gm in a foundry/forge game gives access is based on character keys, so theoretically you could even have the same players doing both and swapping off in the exact same game with no hassle. Just like rotating seats if you were at a physical table and had the GM screen at one corner

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Just released a new PWYW font that some people here might find useful: timeTo, which turns digital times into analog clocks, and fractions into progress/countdown clocks, including PbtA-segmented clocks!

Some more details from the blurb on the itch page:

quote:

Need precise clock icons for visual design? Drawing a clock and want a reference you can set to whatever time you like? Making a ttrpg and want easy, accessible countdown clocks (e.g. for PbtA or FitD games)? Check out timeTo. It comes in 4 versions:
  • timeTo is the default;
  • timeToWeb is a super-light, but super-limited version;
  • timeToAdvance lets you control each clock hand and the face separately, for more complicated designs;
  • timeToPlay lets you make progress/countdown clocks.
Everything except timeToPlay comes in 10 different styles—for more info, check out the Cheat Sheet!
The license is SIL OFL-1.1, which basically means you can freely use it in personal and commercial projects.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I fumbled a few spots in execution last night. But my players went to the attraction The Lair of X'nix past night at the ren faire. It was a string of riddles I cobbled together by just stealing puzzles from google but they were good sports and stayed in character with it the whole time. They made friends with the actual dragon at the end who agreed to meet up with them and give some pointers on dragon fighting for if they run into Drago from MONSTERGEDDON again

And the session ended with them leaving the "caves" and finding the faire under attack by ghosts and zombies. Next time they square off against the undead hordes of Lich McConnell and time permitting make it to the bottom of his abandoned coal mine

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PeterWeller has agreed to become the Dungeons and Dragons 5e thread's new IK. Thanks, PeterWeller!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

PeterWeller has agreed to become the Dungeons and Dragons 5e thread's new IK. Thanks, PeterWeller!

loved him in robocop. gives me hope he'll do a good job

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Lancer finally has physical books for sale, in case you missed the kickstarter. I'd expect them to sell out pretty quickly... but I'd also expect them to do a second printing at some point, so :shrug:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Haystack posted:

Lancer finally has physical books for sale, in case you missed the kickstarter. I'd expect them to sell out pretty quickly... but I'd also expect them to do a second printing at some point, so :shrug:

I've been moderately interested in Lancer but the plague has sort of killed my IRL gaming. Does the book provide good guidance for GMs running it for the first time? Was thinking I might pick it up for after vaccines are more common.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Serf posted:

Can't wait for everyone to misinterpret the 5e thread even though it's obvious satire.

Goongratulations and goon luck, PW.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've been moderately interested in Lancer but the plague has sort of killed my IRL gaming. Does the book provide good guidance for GMs running it for the first time? Was thinking I might pick it up for after vaccines are more common.

I'm not a GM, so I can't say for sure, but my impression is that it's very good on that front. It lays out a very clear structure of play and provides tools for making that happen. For instance, there's a collection of "sitreps" for setting up combats, a comprehensive character builder/wiki, and everything is nicely templated for ease of reference.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CompCon is not to be underestimated here, it’s truly a marvel.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Clanpot Shake posted:

Ehhh, not so much. Or at least I thought that was a weakpoint. It's very D&D, and so if you're comfortable running D&D I think it provides all the stuff you'd need from there. But compared to like, Apocalypse World or Blowback or Primetime Adventures, I'd say its pretty lacking in stuff that's really useful for running a game.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Is the starting campaign and intro to lancer still "yeah hop on our discord, we've got some packets, ideas and hacks to make the sample campaign work, but don't worry it's being worked on!"
Which kinda works with something digital or being worked on, but eh once you start selling a book gets weird. I'll fully admit lancer seems like my jam but I'm waiting for something that serves as a good intro for friends. Also I just don't have the motivation to do crunch encounter building these days.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Coolness Averted posted:

Is the starting campaign and intro to lancer still "yeah hop on our discord, we've got some packets, ideas and hacks to make the sample campaign work, but don't worry it's being worked on!"
Which kinda works with something digital or being worked on, but eh once you start selling a book gets weird. I'll fully admit lancer seems like my jam but I'm waiting for something that serves as a good intro for friends. Also I just don't have the motivation to do crunch encounter building these days.

Campaign's got a release for part 1 at least. But, generally yeah, everything runs through PilotNET. Makes running games difficult if that's not an option.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What is lancer? Or I guess Mech Warrior as well? Like how do you roleplay in giant robots? Is there stats for when you're not in the bot? What do you do between times?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Boba Pearl posted:

What is lancer? Or I guess Mech Warrior as well? Like how do you roleplay in giant robots? Is there stats for when you're not in the bot? What do you do between times?

Despite being fairly active through playtesting I never really understood the narrative loop for LANCER, but if you're familiar with Traveller, then the Mechwarrior "forks" of Battletech as an RPG isn't terribly off. Mercenary campaigns are ragtag crews of misfits doing odd jobs and taking contracts, with all the social play, etc that implies; MW just puts the heavy lifting in the cockpit. Military campaigns as you'd expect, etc. A Time of War actually supports completely non-mech-based play, too... I'm not sure why you'd do it but it's there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Boba Pearl posted:

It varies from game to game. Some games (like Battle Century G and probably most of the other ones) have separate character sheets for being in and out of the giant robot. In Lancer's case, you have a 4e-style tactical system for robot fights and light rules for narrative stuff.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

What is lancer? (...) Like how do you roleplay in giant robots? Is there stats for when you're not in the bot? What do you do between times?

A game where you play a human who pilots a war machine to fight against (usually) other humans piloting war machines.

The same way you roleplay in combat in any other rules-heavy tactical combat system.

Yes.

The sort of things you would expect to do between fights if you were a military person piloting a war machine in a war zone.

e; vv

Tulip posted:

LANCER is, at core, very heavily modified 4e D&D.

It's actually a Shadow of the Demon Lord hack.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 25, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Boba Pearl posted:

LANCER is, at core, very heavily modified 4e D&D. Stat wise it's more like you have 3 types of stats: stats that are your equipment (e.g. mech, weapons), stats that are your pilot but affect your mech (e.g. "hull" is a pilot skill that makes their mechs more durable), and stats that are your pilot but aren't designed to affect your mech (e.g. command, demolitions).

The divide between "you are in a mech fighting other mechs (or mech scale hazards)" vs "you're not" is pretty sharp. The mech side is very D&D combat grid stuff, the other stuff is very rules light. When you're not in a mech you basically declare what you're gonna do and if the GM thinks you gotta roll for it you roll a relevant skill (which can be just about anything - think like FATE tags or Dogs In The Vineyard traits) and if you get better than 10 you do it and if you don't something goes awry. There's some rules that are akin to BITD downtime actions where you mostly acquire temporary assets for use in your next mission (it's not like BITD in the sense that you really need the downtime actions to deal with the basic attrition of play; LANCER has very little long-term attrition).

I'm personally of (at least) two minds about it. I really WANT to like it, and I put quite a lot of time into preparing for it and learning the rules and such, and I am hungry for some wargames, but really when I did run it my whole RPG group found it to be not very fun. For the type of group I play with, Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands is basically a purely better match than LANCER. It is ultimately a tactics game and my players just consider that layer of the game busywork.

Mech Warrior/Battletech I can't really answer. I have a friend who plays and he'll chat at me in the side during play and it mostly sounds like you roll very deeply layered critical charts until something funny happens? I'm not at the table so maybe in context it's engaging.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SkyeAuroline posted:

Despite being fairly active through playtesting I never really understood the narrative loop for LANCER, but if you're familiar with Traveller, then the Mechwarrior "forks" of Battletech as an RPG isn't terribly off. Mercenary campaigns are ragtag crews of misfits doing odd jobs and taking contracts, with all the social play, etc that implies; MW just puts the heavy lifting in the cockpit. Military campaigns as you'd expect, etc. A Time of War actually supports completely non-mech-based play, too... I'm not sure why you'd do it but it's there.

All the MechWarrior games theoretically supported entirely non-Mech gameplay and A Time of War is just the latest edition with a new name. Though I'm not sure how many people wanted to play a BattleTech RPG and not use the big robots.

There's also the recent MechWarrior Destiny that also supports non-Mech gameplay but has no lineage with the previous MechWarrior games. It uses Catalyst's attempt at a light narrative-based system as seen in Cosmic Patrol and Shadowrun Anarchy, but with much better editing than the latter. It also supports Mech combat without having to integrate it with the BattleTech system.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 25, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BattleMaster posted:

All the MechWarrior games theoretically supported entirely non-Mech gameplay and A Time of War is just the latest edition with a new name.

There's MechWarrior Destiny which has no mechanical lineage that also supports non-Mech gameplay but has no lineage with the previous MechWarrior games. It uses Catalyst's attempt at a light narrative-based system as seen in Cosmic Patrol and Shadowrun Anarchy, but with much better editing than the latter.

I've only ever actually played ATOW out of the Mechwarrior RPG lineup (for one session before everyone including the BT enthusiast GM decided they hated it), so I didn't want to comment on the rest with a potentially inaccurate assumption.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've only ever actually played ATOW out of the Mechwarrior RPG lineup (for one session before everyone including the BT enthusiast GM decided they hated it), so I didn't want to comment on the rest with a potentially inaccurate assumption.

I'm a big BattleTech fan and I rammed my head against A Time of War for a few years. It was one of those systems that just made me actively not want to have to interact with it.

MechWarrior Destiny is a good effort but if I ever run a BattleTech RPG campaign again I'm just using GURPS and keeping the BattleTech stats separate from it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Worth noting that Battletech/Mechwarrior also has one "level of play" aimed at squad-level combat, and another at battlefield-level combat, and a third at theater-level combat. So in addition to playing as mech pilots, you could play as mech commanders, or even as mech generals.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I am designing an encounter for tomorrow night's game, and wanted to get a sanity check.

Boba Pearl posted:

Ok, so I have a cool idea for a boss, but I wonder if the power I want to give him is over the top? If you're playing in my game don't read this obvs.

The idea is an elite monster who gets 2 turns, and they're at level or maybe slightly above level for the party. The power is that they always roll publically, but also they get to decide what they're going to do after they roll. I want it to be like a timey wimey thing. I like the idea but it might be too strong for 4e? I don't know how much of the math is super reliant on RNG.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tulip posted:

Ehhh, not so much. Or at least I thought that was a weakpoint. It's very D&D, and so if you're comfortable running D&D I think it provides all the stuff you'd need from there. But compared to like, Apocalypse World or Blowback or Primetime Adventures, I'd say its pretty lacking in stuff that's really useful for running a game.

Boba Pearl posted:

The starting campaign is now properly out and was rewritten to be a better intro to the game, since the original version of it was written before the setting was finalised and had a lot of weirdness in it.

The intro to No Room for a Wallflower, the campaign, actually contains a lot of GMing advice basically taken straight from PbtA stuff, advice on using clocks and long-term downtime.

The core gameplay loop is pretty simple. You're mech pilots, you get a mission briefing, you get in your mechs (probably), you do your mission which probably has 3-ish tactical combats in it, then you finish and level up and upgrade gear.
You also do downtime stuff both in the mechanised "request bonus equipment" sense and also pilot downtime stuff like getting into barfights and whatever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
No Room for a Wallflower is still a bad introductory adventure because it immediately breaks one of the things the game has told you is a core setting assumption in an irreversible way. It's a good adventure, and the stuff in it is very cool, but as an adventure meant to introduce people to the game and the setting as described in the core book, it's terrible.

Plot considerations aside, it's definitely worth looking at as a GM because it's putting into practice the structural advice given by the core book and shows you what a Lancer campaign "should" look like.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Leperflesh posted:

Serf posted:

That Old Tree posted:

Can't wait for everyone to misinterpret the 5e thread even though it's obvious satire.

Goongratulations and goon luck, PW.

Thanks, y'all! I'll do my best to not be the worst.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

PeterWeller posted:

Thanks, y'all! I'll do my best to not be the worst.

Do we... Do we have to experience bij now? :ohdear:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lemon-Lime posted:

No Room for a Wallflower is still a bad introductory adventure because it immediately breaks one of the things the game has told you is a core setting assumption in an irreversible way. It's a good adventure, and the stuff in it is very cool, but as an adventure meant to introduce people to the game and the setting as described in the core book, it's terrible.

Plot considerations aside, it's definitely worth looking at as a GM because it's putting into practice the structural advice given by the core book and shows you what a Lancer campaign "should" look like.
Now that's the Mage: the Ascension-grade gamefucklery I like to hear about. What did they do with it?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nessus posted:

Now that's the Mage: the Ascension-grade gamefucklery I like to hear about. What did they do with it?

Lancer takes place in a setting where massive 3D-printers exist (though they're difficult to reproduce, you can't print a printer) to explain, among other things, why you get to freely rebuild and customise your mech in-between missions.
Lancer also has no sapient aliens. There are 'Monist entities', which are kinda super-rare extradimensional gods, and their little cousins the Non-Human Persons which are basically "AIs except they're really extradimensional beings that we beat into thinking like humans so we can use them for AI stuff". But overall the point is that NHPs are human-produced and generally speaking all the political strife in the setting is humans doing stuff to humans.

The original writeup of No Room For a Wallflower both started you without a printer, and it also featured aliens. This was before the final release of the corebook.

In the final corebook release, it's mentioned that the rumours of humanity finding a sapient alien species and genociding it was the spark for the revolution that overthrew the previous tyrannical government of Union.

The new, official release of the No Room for a Wallflower campaign fixed the printer thing, but it introduces some surviving aliens on that planet.

Honestly I don't think it's that setting-breaking. They're not a star-faring species and the campaign is much more about dealing with the remnant of past war than it is the aliens themselves. The campaign definitely isn't a "humans vs aliens" war which would definitely be wrong for the setting.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Lancer's backstory is pretty rad but that's par for the course for having KSBD talent behind it. The aliens are even the least interesting things going on in the universe when you consider the Aun Ascendancy, Harrison Armory repeatedly offending the setting's god with its quest for true immortality and the fact that all AIs are extradimensional godlike entities that cannot interact with us if they're not squished into a third-dimensional box.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hostile V posted:

Lancer's backstory is pretty rad but that's par for the course for having KSBD talent behind it. The aliens are even the least interesting things going on in the universe when you consider the Aun Ascendancy, Harrison Armory repeatedly offending the setting's god with its quest for true immortality and the fact that all AIs are extradimensional godlike entities that cannot interact with us if they're not squished into a third-dimensional box.

Technically it's Miguel Lopez who does most of the big-picture lore. Tom Parkinson-Morgan is the lead on the mechanics as well as being the lead artist.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Boba Pearl posted:

I am designing an encounter for tomorrow night's game, and wanted to get a sanity check.
I have no idea how that will work in a 4e game, but it doesn't seem too crazy? Like, you're always rolling a d20 to attack and you always want it to be high, so you're never really in a situation where you're like "drat if I had known I was gonna get an 8 instead of a 15+ I would have [thing] instead" you know?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Boba Pearl posted:

boss monsters in 4e are capable/intended to effectively take multiple turns, it's fine

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Boba Pearl posted:

So basically a mini-boss that acts like the players that roll first and then announce what the roll was for?

Seems like a fun subversion at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Would suggest have the monster's different turns having different initiative tracks to make it slightly more fair by giving breathing room to PCs