Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol it took me a minute to figure out why I couldn't upgrade the Owl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
After only 2 days of on and off carpet bombing Antigone Memorial with resource probes I have finally found ice>3.88/km^3! I only have about 30 hexes left unprobed.

Overall, not worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This part is super cool, drat

I like how they apparently ejected the bits to avoid planet death, but they still work sort of

E: saving or teleporting completely breaks it apparently

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 24, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently according to the encyclopedia entries they literally had a button that just does that. I assume the torus was built by the shinra electric power company.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Well it seems due to my very thorough resource probing of Antigone Memorial my 5 star manager in Nopileos' Fortune decided that would be a good idea to send their miners 5 jumps & 2 superhighways to get there. Resource probes are definitely doing something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There appears to be nothing to interact with to get my ship through the airlock when it wants an id. What am I missing?

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
There should be a panel near the door with the repair laser symbol for you to repair laser at.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, the problem is my laser has a range of zero meters in here lol, I had to rub inside it to get it to recognize it

E: Is this the end of the pioneer/Terran plot? Also lol I have to wait for Oberth to haul me past the destroyers

E: rip Callisto again, ran into a war and died

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 24, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Here I was freaking out over not making any credit with my brand new hull parts factory. Turns out the station station account just keeps piling up the money! Is there a setting I am not turning on for the station manager to send me the creds/why is the station running cost so high when it's a closed loop?

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
It takes the buy orders on all the raw and intermediate products in to the calculation, even when not actually buying any. You can just lower the account down and hit confirm to get your money. I feel like there was a way to automate it but I'm not finding it.

Personally I just go through and hit "accept estimate" regularly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think every so often if it's like, double over budget, it will dump a bunch into your account, but I don't know why they changed it from the way it worked in X3 where it would autotransfer anything over the assigned budget to your account the minute it went in.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The automatic transfer is weird, sometimes it does it, sometimes it never does no matter how much money the station has over budget.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol at the traffic cop pulling over the Teladi ship five times its size

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Thom12255 posted:

The automatic transfer is weird, sometimes it does it, sometimes it never does no matter how much money the station has over budget.

Yeah I end up just periodically going through the list of stations with information on the right hand side and clicking "Confirm" on the station fund UI, it's a very weird annoyance.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol at the traffic cop pulling over the Teladi ship five times its size

Its like a cop on a bike pulling someone over.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
There are a couple of mods out there to fix up the automatic station credit transfer behavior. I use this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/270

It allows you to set a fixed budget for stations, over which they'll transfer the money back to you pretty quickly. If the construction budget is short it will automatically divert 50% of excess funds from the main budget to it, and if nothing is being built it will zero out the construction budget and send the money back to you.

I'm personally not a huge fan of how it diverts money to the construction budget because I prefer to micromanage that. However I can understand the appeal if you're queuing up additions for a lot of smaller stations and want to let them automatically self-fund their construction.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
There are two main ways to get money out of stations. When it hits triple its operating budget it will deposit an amount equal to its station budget (if the budget is 10M then at 30M it will deposit 10M in your account.)

The other way is that there is a tab in player management that lists all your stations. At the bottom is a button called "Accept all estimates". Hit that to withdraw all extra funds from all stations at the same time.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Travic posted:

The other way is that there is a tab in player management that lists all your stations. At the bottom is a button called "Accept all estimates". Hit that to withdraw all extra funds from all stations at the same time.
Well sheieeeeeeit

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

is the yaki ship you get from that quest not able to have a pilot on it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Womyn Capote posted:

is the yaki ship you get from that quest not able to have a pilot on it?

You can eventually, but for now you can't even upgrade it

It's a cool looking ship

E: I just realized that with the teleportation tech I should be positioning my fighters to let me cross the map instantly

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Anyone getting this graphical glitch where mission markers get stuck on screen:

Any way to get rid of it other than save&reload?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

RBA Starblade posted:

You can eventually, but for now you can't even upgrade it

It's a cool looking ship

E: I just realized that with the teleportation tech I should be positioning my fighters to let me cross the map instantly
Just leave some cheap scouts sitting in faction rep stations.

The next step is leaving SETA on and telling a pilot to fly their ship wherever you want then teleporting to them to do whatever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hm, i've seen multiple missions asking me to build hull parts stations and nobody's selling hull parts to my dock on my mysterious circular station that appeared out of nowhere. Should I be worried, and/or trying to scrape up enough money to make a hull parts station of my own?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Take a look at Hull Parts in the trade filters and see how the supply/demand is shaking out. If availability is slim and prices are high, it's probably a good idea.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ventures are disabled atm right?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

RBA Starblade posted:

Ventures are disabled atm right?

Yes, pending a new implementation

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Take a look at Hull Parts in the trade filters and see how the supply/demand is shaking out. If availability is slim and prices are high, it's probably a good idea.
How much seed money would i need to make a hull parts station?

EDIT: Also what do the little box or three boxes icons next to an item mean? Low supply?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 25, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghQa9gQRXKI

They've come a long way lol

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Zereth posted:

EDIT: Also what do the little box or three boxes icons next to an item mean? Low supply?

this is probably the base you want to go for with a hull parts station:

http://www.x4-game.com/#/station-ca...er_m_01,count:1

you can always start with just the refined metals, since they'll sell, then add on the graphene, and then add on the hull modules as you get more money.

my hull part stations look like this now:

http://www.x4-game.com/#/station-ca...ab_l_01,count:4

with food and med supplies provided by another station. hull parts will always sell, everything in the game needs them basically.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Zereth posted:

That trade request is coming from the stations build storage rather than the station itself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Will refined metals sell if I'm in Teladi space?

EDIT: Okay I advanced the player HQ quest but now the guy needs extraction and he recommends having a "fast combat ship". I assume the discoverer vanguard i'm in won't cut it, it tends to die if I get in a fight I can't run away from that isn't with an unarmed ship. What should I be looking at?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 25, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zereth posted:

Will refined metals sell if I'm in Teladi space?

EDIT: Okay I advanced the player HQ quest but now the guy needs extraction and he recommends having a "fast combat ship". I assume the discoverer vanguard i'm in won't cut it, it tends to die if I get in a fight I can't run away from that isn't with an unarmed ship. What should I be looking at?

You should bring something that can fight off two fighters.

I threw the frigate I salvaged right then at it but basically anything that's not a scout will do

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's actually a surprisingly fun game for its time.

Yoi can even build factories and assign traders to them, and you do it by hiring TLs much like in the later games. You can hire wingmen too.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Zereth posted:

First you start with miners, to gather ore and methane gas. You'll then need a "refined metals" factory (eats ore) and a "graphine" factory (eats methane). Then you can make a hull parts factory that eats those products. Remember to place a single solar panel somewhere for the energy cells required. Everything takes energy, and a single solar panel gives you plenty for all of that.

In general, start at the bottom of your production and gradually work your way up.

Be sure to get all the research for hacking station modules as soon as you're willing. It lets you save a lot of money not having to buy the blueprints, and blueprints can get pretty expensive later on. Then you just go to stations and search for those signal leaks, and there's a significant chance of getting the blueprint of the module the leak is on (like 20-30%). Alternitively you can emp bomb it for 4 signal leaks, but that makes the station angry for a while.

Currently for me, I'm working on getting missile production up so I can get free missiles. I have tier2 teleportation (3 sector range), and I'm working on finishing up all the blueprint hacking research before I finish up teleports. I get all the large storage modules, skipping mediums, since they've got more construction points and are easier to build with. I recommend just gunning straight for large storage as soon as possible. Remember to have at least 1 of each (container, solids, liquid).

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 25, 2021

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I can’t figure out how to automate research bug orders. I assigned a ship as a trader and I have spare storage and money in the stations budget but it’s just sitting in dock. Does the ship I assigned need a 3 star captain?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

You should bring something that can fight off two fighters.

I threw the frigate I salvaged right then at it but basically anything that's not a scout will do
:negative: all this Teladi rep isn't any use for getting military gear at the "Ministry of Finance" shipyard or wharf that are convenient to where i 'm tooling around doing stuff. Guess i'll go take a few mission in argon space next door.

EDIT: Also if I understand correctly i need to do this (the mission with combat) before I can start researching things.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 25, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Don't worry too much about your ship. As long as you can take one a few fighters your good. That means just get something with more than one gun and that's not a scout. Also make sure to have a relief pilot on your ship, there is a nice surprise right at the beginning of the mission.

Just in case you get puzzled by how to get the nice surprise in order to claim he ship you just need to get out of your ship in your space suit and scan a signal that should be near the docking entrance to the abandoned ship

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 25, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ughhhh posted:

Don't worry too much about your ship. As long as you can take one a few fighters your good. That means just get something with more than one gun and that's not a scout. Also make sure to have a relief pilot on your ship, there is a nice surprise right at the beginning of the mission.

Just in case you get puzzled by how to get the nice surprise in order to claim he ship you just need to get out of your ship in your space suit and scan a signal that should be near the docking entrance to the abandoned ship

If you hire a marine you can also just right click Claim and the guy will hop out and pilot it for you.

Can I buy lodestones or do I just have to crack some rocks open? I know they make emp bombs but just need one for a quest. Also lmao there's an entire Xenon raiding party with destroyers at Hatikvah that's completely harmless because they don't know how to get out of the highway

I'm up to six gas miners and three mineral miners in three sectors now so I'm making bank pretty nice now. I'm getting 5 million for a Katana finally then once that re-accrues I start my long hunt for blueprints for factories. I really like all the plot missions to do now - I just lose interest without SOMETHING to throw stuff at and the dlc ones have been more detailed than in the past, it's great. I really need to get to the Split stuff here too so I can get some of those cool ships

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 25, 2021

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Zereth posted:

:negative: all this Teladi rep isn't any use for getting military gear at the "Ministry of Finance" shipyard or wharf that are convenient to where i 'm tooling around doing stuff. Guess i'll go take a few mission in argon space next door.

EDIT: Also if I understand correctly i need to do this (the mission with combat) before I can start researching things.

You really don't need much. A simple fighter with budget blasters would do the trick just fine. The fighters will fight you one at a time anyway. Hell, you don't even need to fight the fighters, the mission is literally impossible to fail.

Plus, there's a FREE medium combat ship there for you to capture and use (can't capture it, though, because capturing ships is bugged currently, and even if you can manage to capture it with a marine, the turrets will never work because it's bugged).

Demiurge4 posted:

I can’t figure out how to automate research bug orders. I assigned a ship as a trader and I have spare storage and money in the stations budget but it’s just sitting in dock. Does the ship I assigned need a 3 star captain?

You don't need a 3 star pilot, the station manager's skill is what determines everything. And I'm pretty sure the manager skill only affects operation range (number of jumps from station) that the station can see. First make sure that there are stations selling the products you need that are within 2 or 3 jumps from the station. Also check if there's any commands that the ship is still stuck on, like "dock and wait." Just clear all orders, and click "proceed with current orders" if you need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Is now a good time to jump in? Or should I wait for some patches