Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

STR posted:

I knew the right front suspension had been replaced on this car, didn't realize the rear subframe had been hosed with. Junkyard marker on everything. This car has seen some poo poo.

Lower control arm reattached, no more banging, doesn't feel like the Titanic trying to capsize when changing lanes now. $11 at the Subie dealer for everything. I was going to throw quickstruts and endlinks at the back of it soonish, so the alignment can hold off until then.

My outback got surprisingly squirrely when the rear struts wore out. Hitting a bad pavement joints on a curve felt like someone was trying to PIT me. Glad to hear you're not driving around on an out-of-Control Arm anymore.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Proof that you're better off buying a new 4Runner/Tacoma than slightly used, why even bother

There's only one in stock and it's got every option known to Toyota. If you're lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's never handled great, and the suspension as a whole needs a refresh (the rear end end is sagging pretty decent as well). I like the car enough that I'll probably slap some cheap quickstruts on it.

That bolt must have been loose a long time - getting everything reattached got rid of the severe shakes under throttle, it's back to the typical "lovely axle" shakes that Subarus get when you use a parts store reman. That's getting done at, uh, some point, along with the transmission mount. There was some decent wear on the subframe from the bolt sliding back and forth in the slot.

Darchangel posted:

I’d say someone didn’t torque that but properly, STR. I’m sure that you have, though.

I've never touched the rear suspension. :iiam: I also found plenty of junkyard pen on the rear subframe + everything related to the rear suspension. :sigh: This thing seen some poo poo. I know it's been sideswiped before, I knew the RF suspension was replaced as a result. And no, it's not torqued properly right now - my torque wrench got stolen (with most of my other tools) when I stupidly left all the tools in the car during a move. Speaking of, FINALLY got all the interior trim I needed to fix the damage done from that (they tried to get the 6 year old early touchscreen Pioneer :argh:). Well, everything visible. The center console trim has some mounting tabs broken off, but it lines up fine, so... :effort:. LKQ is usually decent with just charging me for one piece if it's obviously multiple pieces that make up a single piece (such as the center stack trim), but they gouged me yesterday.. even charging me for a full ashtray when I only got the bracket. Said they have to charge the same even if you only get the bracket, and the guy recognized it as being an ashtray bracket. :fuckoff: I know it's only a few bucks, but I was hoping to walk out paying $45-50 (including the front bumper cover, WITHOUT any brackets)... not $68. Guess all the times they've handwaved small poo poo caught up to me. I didn't recognize ANY of the staff, I guess they had a large turnover.

Crazy that it took a year and a half+ for that to back out. Even crazier than it took me over a month to finally climb under it. I never take it on the highway, so I didn't really notice anything aside from the CLANK BANG CLANK going over bumps until I drove 30 miles to LKQ yesterday @ 65+. Each way. Felt like the Titanic trying to capsize every time I nudged the wheel. It feels much more solid now. I checked the same nut/bolt on the other side, and the nut was a little loose. I'm not sure what the torque specs are (nor do I have a torque wrench at the moment), but I'm pretty sure grade 10 hardware is normally tightened a bit more than "able to easily tighten with a lovely Walmart toolset".

But... the alternator pivot bolt also backed out. Shocker, it wasn't even the right bolt, and didn't have the nut on the back (not that it would fit this bollt). I managed to grab the right bolt and nut at the junkyard yesterday (along with a new to me front bumper that's in much better shape, but still a bit banged up), I'll probably swap the pivot bolt + nut later today. What's particularly lovely is one of the two local Subaru dealers replaced the alternator about 2 years ago, and AFAIK it hasn't been touched since. Might swap the bumper cover later if I'm feeling frisky, but I need to replace one of the fog lights... would rather do it all at once.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 24, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SHOULD I BUY THIS THING I KINDA WANT TO BUY THIS THING

First two door I've seen in person. It's neat.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Doug are you buying it through CarMax? If not, could be risky.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That depends, is it still under warranty :v:

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

OY

LERIES

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Meh, from what I'm reading this model has an open rear diff. Not interested.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha so it's a mall crawler then. Figures.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Haha so it's a mall crawler then. Figures.

Its a land rover built after 2000. what did you expect?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I think F/C/R mechanical locking diffs are an option on the new Defenders. (My Lego Technic one does have them and just LOL if the real one doesn't.)

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 24, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

does it have the dorky c-pillar box?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Proof that you're better off buying a new 4Runner/Tacoma than slightly used, why even bother

Because the new ones are butt-ugly, mainly.

STR posted:

It's never handled great, and the suspension as a whole needs a refresh (the rear end end is sagging pretty decent as well). I like the car enough that I'll probably slap some cheap quickstruts on it.

When you do the rear struts, make a check on your upper control arm. If you follow my thread, you know why. Ours is *finally* not dragging rear end.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

This instead of a 2 door bronco? you crazy.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SF has opened up for vaccination if you're outside of tier 1a or 1b, but have "underlying health conditions" like asthma, diabetes or just being a fatty like me - just need to snag an appointment. 3 days after moving back to the bay, we got our first shot of Pfizer today at the mass vaccination site at City College - super smooth experience. Everyone was super nice and upbeat and we cried in the car when the nurse was like "now you can go hug people again!"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah baby! You got that hugging license! Just got back from getting my first shot.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Managed to get my 5G injection today as well! Think we'll get through this with only one friendship ended because they couldn't respect covid boundaries

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

loving Australia keeps loving up their vaccine rollout. Supposedly the government originally planned to have 4 million done by the end of this month, and everyone full vaccinated by October. They barely have done 100,000, and now have moved the goalposts to say "well everyone will have their first jab by the end of October"

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Got my first dose of moderna as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Its a land rover built after 2000. what did you expect?

I don't know, in the commercials I see them traversing the Mojave desert but irl not so much.

I thought maybe they were capable off road but most people just didn't care

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Some Guy From NY posted:

This instead of a 2 door bronco? you crazy.

I drove to the Ford dealer today and told them I'd pay full MSRP for a 2 door Bronco and drive it off the lot today and for some reason they turned me away.

Seriously though if you option out a Bronco it starts to overlap with one of these. Open diffs really is a sticking point though because I actually offroad my 50k+ dollar 4x4s.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

You Am I posted:

loving Australia keeps loving up their vaccine rollout. Supposedly the government originally planned to have 4 million done by the end of this month, and everyone full vaccinated by October. They barely have done 100,000, and now have moved the goalposts to say "well everyone will have their first jab by the end of October"

I would honestly rather be unvaccinated in australia for the next year versus fully vacc'd in america. (currently waiting on tier eligibility in Oregon)

Sucks for you though to have a lovely vaccine rollout after such a good pandemic response, if it makes you feel better isn't part of the fault with the hosed up rest of the world refusing to send vaccine doses to Australia? Australia should partner with the rest of the global south and just steal the vaccine IP from whoever and dare america to invade them about it I think.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

meltie posted:

does it have the dorky c-pillar box?

You have to pay extra for that

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

Morrison is so loving incompetent he cant even agree that a staffer raping a woman and another wanking on a female MP's desk is not on without his wife telling him.

What is going on in Parliment House is beyond a loving parody

tangy yet delightful posted:

I would honestly rather be unvaccinated in australia for the next year versus fully vacc'd in america. (currently waiting on tier eligibility in Oregon)

Sucks for you though to have a lovely vaccine rollout after such a good pandemic response, if it makes you feel better isn't part of the fault with the hosed up rest of the world refusing to send vaccine doses to Australia? Australia should partner with the rest of the global south and just steal the vaccine IP from whoever and dare america to invade them about it I think.

I want to see my wife and be able to bring her home - we havent seen each other for 15 months due to the travel bans. gently caress the federal govt, the whole lot of incompetent assholes

(Also CSL in Melbourne have a license to make AZ so we should be getting that soon. But whats happenign with the EU loving over vaccine supply is a real dick move too)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's definitely some bullshit that your govt spent a non-zero amount of time/money/effort on bringing tennis players to the country instead of Australians stuck abroad. Hope you get to see your spouse soon!

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

everdave posted:

I always try to think simply. Have you charged the battery? Lights can work with a crap battery. Start from the beginning. I’d immediately investigate spark first that is the simplest. How old is the battery?

kastein posted:

This sounds like she stalled out in the road (PS pump stops doing anything, lights stay on) and forgot to put it in park before trying to start it.

The rest sounds like a weak battery but who knows. Might be alt, or crummy battery connections, might be a few things. "Sounded like a cold start but wouldn't turn over" is meaningless so I'm wary of assigning more meaning than I should to any of these statements.

Battery was replaced in January. If the shop can't figure it out, I'm going to get my hands on it and check the connections and grounding straps then move on from there. I'm curious what code it may have thrown when it stalled out.

It's an automatic trans, and I had the same truck but an 09 a few years ago and it never stalled.

I agree, the 'cold start' comment is the least useful, but I asked her to describe what happened and when, and that's what I got.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

It's definitely some bullshit that your govt spent a non-zero amount of time/money/effort on bringing tennis players to the country instead of Australians stuck abroad. Hope you get to see your spouse soon!

Didn’t Australia just let Ed Sheeran in too?
International travel is apparently fine if you’re rich and famous.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got a bit of work done at the new property today. More raking and dug out a fire pit, as well as cutting up some wood for campfires

Bonus salamander!!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Didn’t Australia just let Ed Sheeran in too?
International travel is apparently fine if you’re rich and famous.

Oh for fucks sake they did

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I think I'm slowly talking myself into a Mustang GT. Unfortunately manual convertibles seem to only exist in press fleets, so it looks like I'd have to choose between a manual coupe and an automatic convertible.

My head gives me many reasons to choose the coupe: stick, security since I don't have a garage, slightly cheaper insurance, quieter on the highway, more suitable for the occasional track day, and I wonder how often I'll really put the top down given how Florida weather is for 8-9 months out of the year. But my heart finds it hard to say no to that GT convertible after driving one with the top down on a 65 degree day.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm just playing this on a Bluetooth speaker everywhere I go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeCwwYjf8gw

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

I think I'm slowly talking myself into a Mustang GT. Unfortunately manual convertibles seem to only exist in press fleets, so it looks like I'd have to choose between a manual coupe and an automatic convertible.

My head gives me many reasons to choose the coupe: stick, security since I don't have a garage, slightly cheaper insurance, quieter on the highway, more suitable for the occasional track day, and I wonder how often I'll really put the top down given how Florida weather is for 8-9 months out of the year. But my heart finds it hard to say no to that GT convertible after driving one with the top down on a 65 degree day.

What years are you looking at? Not sure if the GT was affected but I know some recent Mustangs had issues with the manual transmission.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

What years are you looking at? Not sure if the GT was affected but I know some recent Mustangs had issues with the manual transmission.

2018+ as Ford fixed the A/C compressor failures in the 2015-17 cars with the refresh

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

I don't know, in the commercials I see them traversing the Mojave desert but irl not so much.

I thought maybe they were capable off road but most people just didn't care

I’m not gunna sit here arguing that electronics are a full replacement for real locking diffs, but it’s not like it’s a garbage mall crawler without them. Hell the classic Defender only had a center lock factory.

NZ here but same deal. Part of the thing about our economy being open for business means that we can have nice things like sports events and concerts. Letting in a few players or musicians doesn’t make gently caress all difference to the number of citizens coming back in. Both countries have similar numbers of places available in the managed isolation facilities (around 5000 even though Aust is much bigger than us), who really gives a crap about a dozen places at a time maybe for people like sports stars or musicians to come in and generate economic activity.

For example it’s been cricket season here, since November the West Indies, Pakistan, Australia and Bangladesh have toured. You get matches not just in the big cities but some of the smaller ones too, and that generates good business for stadium food vendors (we’re talking mum and dad in a trailer operations in these smaller towns) hospo and accomodation, all areas that are taking a beating during the pandemic. The only people making noise are contrarians, click bait news publishers, and here, garbage opposition politicians. Our opposition party, for example, complained loudly that it was “ridiculous” that we couldn’t find isolation places for children’s act The Wiggles to come in, how nice it would be for the kids doing it tough during lockdowns etc.....then when they were allowed in, complained that they were taking away spots from poor citizens trying to get home.

People in CT’s position, that sucks and I feel for him and his wife, but also she’s not an Australian citizen or resident yet is she? We’ve had a few like that too, spouses who aren’t citizens haven’t been allowed back in unaccompanied, it’s easier now but you still have to go through isolation and pay for it.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 25, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

She has her visa to live here now so that does give her Aust Citizen style entry rights. But trying to get a flight to Australia is next to imposssible unless you can pay a godawful amount of money and even then, there's been a lot of examples of people paying through the arse only to get cancelled by an airline. It's an ugly situation for a lot of partners and families right now.

Hey AI! You might not notice but there's a mod "challenge" in the Criagslist thread! Absolute worst Subaru Craiglisting wins you a new title of your choice. Do your worst. And if I'm sufficently revolted by multiple posters, then more titles to go around by say... April 1?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I bought this Lunar Rock 4Runner TRD Pro for $4k under MSRP yesterday. It was a dealer demo with 1,100 miles. This thing is going to do an amazing job holding it's value. I actually feel like I could probably sell right now and make money. Super stoked about my first Toyota.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today we discovered that our kitchen is already plumbed for a gas stove which was an awesome bonus. Thanks to my cat for shoving her toy under there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nice! Is the stub in a good spot?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

arbybaconator posted:

I bought this Lunar Rock 4Runner TRD Pro for $4k under MSRP yesterday. It was a dealer demo with 1,100 miles. This thing is going to do an amazing job holding it's value. I actually feel like I could probably sell right now and make money. Super stoked about my first Toyota.

Nice!

Why is the roof rack where it is?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Nice! Is the stub in a good spot?

Yeah, it's offset so it shouldn't be any issue placing whatever gas stove we buy in place.

My wife wanted a gas stove so bad and it was the only thing the new house was missing so she flipped. We're planning on having the roof replaced in July so once that is done we'll start appliance shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

You Am I posted:

loving told yas!