Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Isn't the only slow mo in BvS the Wayne's murder?
There's a lot of interesting scenes where it's almost unclear to me if there's any slow-motion. Like, in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxcXyK2_CzM

So many of Superman's motions are these extremely slow, cautious movements that make the action epic and intense, like when people in Mexico are reaching out to touch him, even though it's actually in real time. If you wanna run with SMG's take that the slow-motion represents a kind of distorted reality, you could see a lot of this action in BvS as Superman kind of crossing over into that realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Here's a new hot take: The Snyder Cut is bad because it didn't do enough to get Amy Adams fans energized to campaign for her to get an Oscar for it (?): https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/justice-league-amy-adams

As an update, hours after posting this supremely dumb article, this site announced it was shutting down and ceasing publication. LOL.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

As an update, hours after posting this supremely dumb article, this site announced it was shutting down and ceasing publication. LOL.

Well, ending on a high note at least

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Guy A. Person posted:

Isn't the only slow mo in BvS the Wayne's murder?

I remember it being notable that there is none in MoS

There's a bit when Bruce is having the dream/nightmare where he's walking through the fields to his parents' tomb. Some Superman scenes have it too.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Chairman Capone posted:

Nobody can tell me that wasn't an art installation based on a drill tweet

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Chairman Capone posted:

I liked how they used a screen shot from Whedon's "thirsty" scene.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Martman posted:

There's a lot of interesting scenes where it's almost unclear to me if there's any slow-motion. ...

So many of Superman's motions are these extremely slow, cautious movements that make the action epic and intense, like when people in Mexico are reaching out to touch him, even though it's actually in real time. If you wanna run with SMG's take that the slow-motion represents a kind of distorted reality, you could see a lot of this action in BvS as Superman kind of crossing over into that realm.

It’s not always a bad distortion, mind. Like, in this case, the slowness is a mix of the crowd’s reverence and Superman’s unease with it.

The scenes with Flash, specifically, read differently since he actually is perceiving the world that quickly.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the climax of JL is the flash using so much slow motion that the film goes backwards

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ungulateman posted:

the climax of JL is the flash using so much slow motion that the film goes backwards

With this in mind, lets look at the insane amount of slow-mo in Tenet....

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea the complaints about the total length of slo mo become stupider when you realize there’s a character whose power is to make everything slo mo (complaints about the Wonder Woman sequence or the football game is whatever, but the total length measuring is dumb)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"The present has taken root in the future."

Actually speaking of that original quote and Tenet, Merlin was essentially inverted.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I really enjoyed this :lol:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
The upcoming black and white version is a great excuse for me to do a full re-watch of this behemoth of a film.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

KVeezy3 posted:

The upcoming black and white version is a great excuse for me to do a full re-watch of this behemoth of a film.

Yep, I'm more excited for that version than I was for the colourful one!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I want to be clear, I don't have an issue with the action in the scene. I don't have an issue with her just straight murdering those guys, Gods can't be bothered to care that much about mortals (I think thats generally a through line in many Superman/Wonder Woman stories) it's just presented in a tonally odd way was all I was trying to get across, there is only wonder, not a single bit of horror from anyone in the scene (and its a p horrific scene).

These aren't folks used to horrific things on a daily basis like children in war zones, they're explicitly some bougie rich kids who have likely never been threatened before and not a single one is upset about it?

They should have set the scene in the US so it would be more realistic that the school kids would be used to insane white regressives shooting at them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nroo posted:

Watch some South Korean films to learn that weird tonal whiplashes are fuckin dope and should be more prevalent.

Agreed hard and am stealing this to word it exactly like this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watched this Detective K movie that was like a comedic Sherlock Holmes style caper close to the style of the Guy Ritchie movies, then all of a sudden Detective K is yelling at some thugs he fought earlier in the movie that they have to team up to stop Japanese sex trafficking fit the good of their country as they beat the poo poo out of him, gives a long speech about how much they are destroying their homeland and they have to take back what's theirs, and then the next scene is a wacky heist where he and the thugs and his put upon sidekick sneak into the illegal ruby mine.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I watched this Detective K movie that was like a comedic Sherlock Holmes style caper close to the style of the Guy Ritchie movies, then all of a sudden Detective K is yelling at some thugs he fought earlier in the movie that they have to team up to stop Japanese sex trafficking fit the good of their country as they beat the poo poo out of him, gives a long speech about how much they are destroying their homeland and they have to take back what's theirs, and then the next scene is a wacky heist where he and the thugs and his put upon sidekick sneak into the illegal ruby mine.

Sounds garish.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

KVeezy3 posted:

To be true to the comics, it should be rotoscoped like an A-Ha music video to capture the feeling of an uninked panel. With Superman looking completely different.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KVeezy3 posted:

Sounds garish.

But it did keep me awake on a 20 hour flight to seoul

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Tenet is also on Snyders Max list.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Can't really blame a Korean film for going hard against Japanese sex trafficking

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was entirely period appropriate to the era the movie was set in.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
A number of pages back I saw some reference to a famous "Weird Fist" post about MoS and now I am very curious, if anyone would be kind enough to link it or explain

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ALFbrot posted:

A number of pages back I saw some reference to a famous "Weird Fist" post about MoS and now I am very curious, if anyone would be kind enough to link it or explain

A poster complained that MoS was poorly shot and specifically called out a scene where Superman floated up and made a weird, unnatural fist. The entire thread found this incredibly intriguing and pages were spent posting stills of Superman from MoS, which the OP all denied as being the correct scene. Finally, in desperation, people started posting random images from all Superman movies. After a few more pages of this the initial poster confirmed that he recognized one of the scenes - a shot from Superman Returns - as the one he was thinking of. In the scene, Superman is making a perfectly normal fist.

This was a real "you had to be there story" because the effect of literal days and pages of Superman - only to determine the entire hoopla was over a faulty memory of a scene from a different movie - was very funny.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You may mock him but at the end of the day you wasted your time and now he has an entire folder of movie supermen making fists. For free.

Chew on those marbles

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Well now i just have to see it!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Don't kink shame.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Justice is Gray Edition is up on HBO Max. Sorry folks, still no We live in a society line.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Jet posted:

Justice is Gray Edition is up on HBO Max. Sorry folks, still no We live in a society line.

Is that scene different at all?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea it's in black and white

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Burkion posted:

Is that scene different at all?

I specifically skipped ahead to it and I can confirm zero changes. Don’t know about the rest of the film, I’m gonna sleep after making this post. Probably.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

...Man Of Steel features none...

I believe it also features a little, after he saves the guys on the oil rig and falls into the water. It's still consistent with what you're describing; the scene bridges into a childhood memory that is literally about how his subjective POV became overwhelming and distorted.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
only watched thru part two and while some of the cgi scenes feel a bit too busy, for the most part Justice is Gray is loving gorgeous.

also i think Snyder said the "society" line was just for some special screening. something like that.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

Yep, I'm more excited for that version than I was for the colourful one!

Snyder calling it Justice is Grey is a rather cheeky approval of the idea that the triumphalism of the film's narrative is only one part of the can of worms.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

wyoming posted:

also i think Snyder said the "society" line was just for some special screening. something like that.

It did its job of blowing up the internet and got even more people talking about ZSJL. The amount of impressions on social media it generated was probably insane.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Getting tons of attention from featuring our on the trailer then yet more attention by not featuring it on the film. Genius move

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Getting tons of attention from featuring our on the trailer then yet more attention by not featuring it on the film. Genius move

And it wasn't even his idea! Leto ad-libbed it. And people say he's a terrible Joker.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's funny when that was in the trailer I saw a lot of people say how stupid Zack was for being so on the nose, and a lot of the same people when they found out it wasn't in the movie shouted "BAIT AND SWITCH!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Just like real society.