Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Sparty likes the toothpaste too, I just try to grab his head and hold it still while I brush it. I'll stand over him and trap his head between my arm and thigh and then scrub, then switch sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
So the Phoenix Greyhound Park, which had been closed for years, is scheduled for demolition. The adoption group we work with got the opportunity to auction off some stuff from the park. This took place at the actual park so we got to go tour the place. The track was pretty overgrown and had some trash on it so we couldn’t let the hounds actually run, but we got to walk around it. Here are some photos, to me it’s like a scene from Chernobyl.

The lure rail:

A couple pics of the machine that controlled the speed of the lure:

Barley’s big dumb head got in the way there.

We were originally told we could go into the main building and look around, but unfortunately the fire department stopped us from doing that.

We came home with a few memorabilia pieces and a couple racing silks:

We chose the numbers to represent the number of brain cells each of them have :D

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oh drat the one on the right is real clever for a grey

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
It's super cool but not in a cool way. The facility for watching the races and betting looks kinda nice too and everything else that has to do with the regulation of it all is garbage.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope you got that Weiner dog sign!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Veskit posted:

It's super cool but not in a cool way. The facility for watching the races and betting looks kinda nice too and everything else that has to do with the regulation of it all is garbage.

Yeah it was bittersweet. I don’t really consider myself anti-racing but it’s hard to make arguments for keeping it around. The bad poo poo people did in the past doesn’t help for sure. The dogs do suffer injuries during the races which is the hardest argument against it really. I know they’ve cleaned up their act lately but it’s a little too late. I do fear what will happen to the breed once racing is gone.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I do fear what will happen to the breed once racing is gone.

Buy puppies! They’re great.

I should do a write up soon

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

our greyhound pets of america chapter is going to start importing them from Ireland

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah there are so many here, there’s like 3 greyhound rehoming charities in my town alone

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

actionjackson posted:

our greyhound pets of america chapter is going to start importing them from Ireland

Yep! Mrs beekeeper on our 2019 trip to Ireland:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol at the greyhound carpet

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

actionjackson posted:

lol at the greyhound carpet

We noticed that too:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, I want carpet like that, now! :D

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

Ours claim they will too. Unfortunately our local chapter is in a bit of disarray due to “leadership challenges” - in other words, the person who volunteered to lead the group as a second job for no pay isn’t very good.

The group I got Katie from seems very competent but is an independent local group, so I’m not sure what they’ll do when racing inevitably gets banned/shuts down for the remaining few tracks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm sure some groups will shut down

I got a full copy of Abby's medical records as I need it for this dog aging project study, and I checked her current labs

creatinine 2.2 (normal 0.5-1.5) - greyhounds have elevated creatinine, but this is still a bit high. however kidney dysfunction is pretty normal given her age (like humans, a greyhounds creatinine goes up as they age)

her potassium is slightly elevated, also part of the kidney issue 6.1 (4.0-5.4)

this led to the diagnosis of azotemia

for the thyroid:

T4 slight low 0.9 (1.0-4.0)

but her TSH is super elevated, 0.81 (0.05-0.42)

thankfully the levothyroxine will fix the thyroid issue. One funny side effect is some food kind of stays stuck on the affected side of her face, I'm guessing because of the paralysis she doesn't know it's there.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I just learned that there's a test called the BUN test (blood urea nitrogen). So if nothing else, thanks for that piece of info, actionjackson.

When does Abby start the thyroid treatment?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

she already has, 500 mcg of levothyroxine 2x/day

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie’s new collars came in

Aw yeah, lookin’ pretty smug there Kate

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmao

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any tips on getting our girl to signal when she needs to go out?

Last night at 3am she peed on the floor despite last peeing about 9:10pm which is like 5mins earlier than we normally last take her out. A little difference was that we went for a short walk at that time rather than just take her to pee. Could that have confused her so she held it in?

This is the second time this has happened in as many months. Last time it was a bit earlier though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is she having any water or food after she goes out for the last time at night?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone have any tips on getting our girl to signal when she needs to go out?

Last night at 3am she peed on the floor despite last peeing about 9:10pm which is like 5mins earlier than we normally last take her out. A little difference was that we went for a short walk at that time rather than just take her to pee. Could that have confused her so she held it in?

This is the second time this has happened in as many months. Last time it was a bit earlier though.

This guy claims you can train them to use a bell: https://youtu.be/Cri-MJuUlaU

The easiest way seems like simply preventing it from being an option:
* like actionjackson said, you may want to limit water a few hours before bedtime
* consider taking her out later. Katie and I go out a final time literally right before bedtime.
* try to gate the fun part (the walk) on the necessary part. Don’t go for a walk until she’s relieved herself. Also don’t rush her in right after she’s gone either, because apparently they then build up the idea that holding it will let them stay out longer.
* and, of course, the books all mention that if this suddenly becomes a persistent problem there may be a medical cause.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

100% agree on taking her out right before bedtime

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

100% agree on taking her out right before bedtime

We had problems with sparty and accidents and it was a couple of factors:

• He was constantly thirsty and drinking tons of water, apparently caused by
  • persistent hookworm from his track days that resisted several rounds of treatment, resulting in
  • elevated creatinine levels in his blood, apparently because
  • he was reacting to something in his food related to the worms that was overloading his kidneys

Before we figured that all out though, letting him out right before bed and only giving him water when we could be there to let him out limited the opportunities for him to pee inside.

Also seconding the "don't immediately go inside after they pee" if you're accidentally indicating "fun things end after I go". We haven't had that issue because we just let sparty out every time he asks. And you can absolutely train them to indicate when they want out; Spartacus does little bunny hops, barks at us, and (the actual intended indicator) does a sit if he needs to poo poo.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How close to before bed are we talking? Generally we take her out for the final pee and then literally get into bed myself and it’s lights off like 30 mins later.

I’ll check out that video about teaching her to signal. She’s not super food motivated which has made training hard but we’ll see.

How much water should we leave out overnight? I’m reluctant to take it away completely but could limit it to just a small amount. Sometimes I hear her drinking a bit in the night but not often.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Red_Fred posted:

How close to before bed are we talking? Generally we take her out for the final pee and then literally get into bed myself and it’s lights off like 30 mins later.

I’ll check out that video about teaching her to signal. She’s not super food motivated which has made training hard but we’ll see.

How much water should we leave out overnight? I’m reluctant to take it away completely but could limit it to just a small amount. Sometimes I hear her drinking a bit in the night but not often.

That timing sounds fine.

Katie sleeps in my room so she doesn’t have any water at night. She won’t die of thirst overnight.

That’s maybe another thing to consider - dogs don’t go in their “den.” From what I’ve read, if they sleep in the same room as you it reinforces that room as a place they should never soil. That may calm her down a bit too (maybe she’s going because she’s anxious).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yes no water overnight is fine, or if you are gone all day.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

whenever i eat anything in the kitchen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
These dogs are weird

Edit:

Am I the weird one for thinking he looks cute in this one? Maybe it's just because he isn't being a nuisance

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 22, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Considerably nicer weather when we went to my parents this weekend. Katie got to really stretch her legs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3n6q3npgs

Lucy always growls like that when playing with other dogs (it’s a terrier thing I guess) but she also seemed a bit desperate to keep up with Katie. The goats tried to bonk Katie but lol they’re too slow. They only got her the first time when Katie didn’t know what they were. Playtime for a goat is bonking each other in the head so they may actually have been teasing/playing; they seemed pretty happy about the weather too and they’re not afraid of dogs.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Omg that looks so much like cookie and Spartacus, including the horrendous growling play

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Greyhounds always look like they're going to murder whatever they're playing with. And they have such low growls thanks to their deep chests, so it sounds super scary.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
I do not have a greyhound but I lurk here and wanted to say how great all of your nerds are!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

I do not have a greyhound yet, but I lurk here and wanted to say how great all of your nerds are!

:colbert:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

A murder hound, dreaming of murder.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

I do not have a greyhound but I lurk here and wanted to say how great all of your nerds are!

You should fix that :colbert:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Radiation Cow posted:

Greyhounds always look like they're going to murder whatever they're playing with. And they have such low growls thanks to their deep chests, so it sounds super scary.

I’ve only heard Katie growl at other dogs when she means it. Lucy growls all the time but she’s a terrier.

NomNomNom posted:

A murder hound, dreaming of murder.

I like it when Katie’s dreaming with her legs stretched out because only the actual paws wiggle :3:

Also when she barks in her sleep. I’ll randomly hear some mruff! ruff! behind me while I’m working

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

I’ve only heard Katie growl at other dogs when she means it. Lucy growls all the time but she’s a terrier.

Gello hs a warning growl and an "I'm gonna catch you" play growl. I can tell them apart, other people can't. (The play growl is significantly deeper and scarier-sounding).

quote:

I like it when Katie’s dreaming with her legs stretched out because only the actual paws wiggle :3:

Also when she barks in her sleep. I’ll randomly hear some mruff! ruff! behind me while I’m working

Greyhounds sleeping is often better than TV.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is hanging in there, just feeling more stressful - a few times last week she fell when urinating and needed help getting back up.

But she is still really enjoying people, treats and going outside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Medical question - Katie has a small bump on her back that I think showed up yesterday. It’s in the skin because you can move it around. Might be a lump from running into something or a bug bite. Stuff like this seems like it would be way more noticeable on a greyhound because of the short coat and low body fat; is this common?

I’m keeping and eye on it and I’ll contact the vet if it doesn’t go away soon or gets bigger.

actionjackson posted:

Abby is hanging in there, just feeling more stressful - a few times last week she fell when urinating and needed help getting back up.

But she is still really enjoying people, treats and going outside!

Poor old girl! Hang in there Abby!