Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Cutting the Old Forest and the Barrow Downs was a pity though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Okay wish granted. The fellowship of the ring is now a longer movie.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

This discussion has convinced me that Tom Bombadil is the best part of Tolkien's whole corpus.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So who would be the Tom Bombadil of Harry Potter? I don't mean in the 'doesn't care about the plight of others' way because that'd be all the characters. I mean in the 'you can cut this notable person out and it wouldn't change a single thing about the overarching story' sort of way.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

post-voldemort returning i'm struggling to think of a single hagrid moment that matters in the long term. he also lives in a shed in the woods.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
JK Rowling

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

amigolupus posted:

So who would be the Tom Bombadil of Harry Potter? I don't mean in the 'doesn't care about the plight of others' way because that'd be all the characters. I mean in the 'you can cut this notable person out and it wouldn't change a single thing about the overarching story' sort of way.

Olivander the wand maker.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

reignofevil posted:

Olivander the wand maker.

If you're going to have the stupid wand rules you need someone to explain the stupid wand rules.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
gently caress it, pawn that one off onto Dumbledore's ghost like everything else.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zesty posted:

like Harry Potter

Tom never became a cop.

Also, I think it has to be Hagrid. I reread Potter with the podcast and fun fact I'm actually rereading LotR right now, but anyway, Hagrid does absolutely nothing of consequence after book 2.

He has some great moments though, like when he starts bodily throwing death eaters around to resist arrest or when he gets hauled away by spiders during Harry's Saving Private Ryan moment over the body of Fred.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 25, 2021

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Hagrid was great. He fulfilled his lifelong dream of having a teaching position so that he could endanger the maximum possible number of children by exposing them to various murder-creatures, he took a cool vacation and probably got laid on it. Okay I think that's actually everything that hasn't already been listed now that I'm thinking about it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Yeah, no-ones saying Hagrid isn't cool, or that Tom Bombadil isn't cool, dw.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

Yeah, no-ones saying Hagrid isn't cool, or that Tom Bombadil isn't cool, dw.

Tom Bombadil isn't cool.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can somebody with plat start a poll re: Tom Bombadil being cool

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can somebody with plat start a poll re: Tom Bombadil being cool

https://www.strawpoll.me/42853992

No need to use the forums for the poll.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

CainFortea posted:

Tom Bombadil isn't cool.

Sydin posted:

Sounds like a really superfluous character to the LotR plot and excising him from the movies was a good idea!

Making a QCS thread to get u banned

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
you could probably get rid of the entire breeze of hilarious ghosts, couldn't you?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

amigolupus posted:

harry potter

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Aardvark! posted:

you could probably get rid of the entire breeze of hilarious ghosts, couldn't you?

wild that literally no-one in the entire run of books and movies ever becomes a ghost

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Nearly-headless Nick: yeah nobody knows what happens after death, that's why I became a ghost, moving on was too scary

Harry's dead parents a book later: Hey man what's up? Heaven rules! That Nick guy was a loving idiot. Embrace death my man!

Dead Lupin: Oh yeah we don't miss our infant son at all, dying for you was the best thing me and Tonks ever did, plus I get to see James again up here in paradise

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

actually laughing my rear end off about this now. the earlier books vaguely suggest that the ghosts were pretty stupid to have ended up ghosts, but in total it really is just that there's a whole class of wizards who are too stupid to die

josh04 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 25, 2021

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I imagine (because I don't care enough to look it up) that there were periods of history where becoming a ghost was the fashionable thing to do, and periods when it was considered gauche.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You know what they say, you go to other people's funerals and they'll go to yours.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Somebody write me a scene where a ghost gets into a fight with his own magic portrait.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

josh04 posted:

actually laughing my rear end off about this now. the earlier books vaguely suggest that the ghosts were pretty stupid to have ended up ghosts, but in total it really is just that there's a whole class of wizards who are too stupid to die

This is pretty much all "dark lord" villains in a nutshell.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

why didn't voldemort, whose entire character was refusing to die, come back as a ghost? hassling harry all the way through cursed child or w/e?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tom Bombadil is apparently from Tolkien's children's stories. He stands out in Middle-Earth because he's from a different genre. Like if Star Wars had a cameo from the Muppets.

Star Wars makes use of a number of genres, and puppet hijinks is definitely one of them.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Is heaven real for everyone or just wizards? I can't remember religion ever coming up in the series, except hearing there was at least one Jewish pupil maybe?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

josh04 posted:

why didn't voldemort, whose entire character was refusing to die, come back as a ghost? hassling harry all the way through cursed child or w/e?

I think he succeeds at routinely harassing Harry whether or not he achieves technical ghost status, or is just stuck on the back of another wizard's head or whatever.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

He was too stupid to throw a baby out of a window. You think he's smart enough to make himself a ghost?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

josh04 posted:

My guess is his weird-partial soul situation is the closest thing to a good explanation on that one.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

josh04 posted:

Something something can't become a ghost if you tear your soul apart with horcruxes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
dobby should have turned in to a ghost and been forced to serve all the moron hogwarts ghosts

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

rollick posted:

Is heaven real for everyone or just wizards? I can't remember religion ever coming up in the series, except hearing there was at least one Jewish pupil maybe?

Dumbledore is god the father, Harry is the son, and snakes are evil. Harry's parents were christian according to their graves.

e: ignoring the wizard hitler poo poo, the main dispute between the good guys and bad guys is acceptance of mortality vs flailing against it

So why is the Dumbledore cabal named after the phoenix, whose main power is coming back from the dead? Seems like the death eaters would be the ones to adopt the phoenix as their symbol.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 25, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's almost like not a lot of thought went into the actual symbolism in, except for the sudden appearance of overt Christian symbolism out of nowhere in the final book.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dumbledore is god the father, Harry is the son, and snakes are evil. Harry's parents were christian according to their graves.

e: ignoring the wizard hitler poo poo, the main dispute between the good guys and bad guys is acceptance of mortality vs flailing against it

So why is the Dumbledore cabal named after the phoenix, whose main power is coming back from the dead? Seems like the death eaters would be the ones to adopt the phoenix as their symbol.

The pheonix has to die first. Death eaters dont' want to do that part.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Ghosts in harry potter aren't dumb they just have a crippling phobia of trains.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

rollick posted:

There's the monk ghost who's the patron ghost of hufflepuff. There's also one mention of a church in the 7th book when the kids visit the graveyard during Christmas.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Buttchocks posted:

There's the monk ghost who's the patron ghost of hufflepuff. There's also one mention of a church in the 7th book when the kids visit the graveyard during Christmas.

And they celebrate Christmas at Hogwarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

amigolupus posted:

Sirius Black