Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

You can do much better than Great Value. Or Sprouts.

No doubt. But was waiting for my vaccine to take effect before I started visiting places I couldn't get same-day delivery. Almost none of the local roasters have decent websites or even menus posted online. That being said, my mom loves coffee and she swears by that great value stuff. For less than $6/bag I have to say it tasted p drat good to me, though it was probably made by slave labor or something.

Sprouts was disappointing, because they had no dates on their bulk bin and no longer have the local products section. Think they got bought out by a national corporation a few years ago.

quote:

I roast my own, so I can't recall offhand who are and who aren't well liked. You might check out these people- https://www.leapcoffeeroasters.net/ I think they're in the industrial sector by the tracks in OKC.

Cool thanks, I will check them out. Facebook friends have also recommended:

https://www.facebook.com/ElementalCoffee/
https://www.facebook.com/eotecoffee/
https://www.facebook.com/coffeeslingers/

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Bandire posted:

Not Oklahoma, but in far north Dallas https://www.coffeedelrey.com/ is pretty great and they ship fast.

The personal evolution of coffee preference is funny to me.

I viewed coffee as a tool back back when I had a drip machine and through my Keurig days. Eventually that Keurig died and I bought a Bunn MCU because gently caress DRM coffee. That Bunn had a bunch of different swappable brewing trays, one of which was a weird semi-pressurized grounds tray, so that got me to try good pre-ground coffee and it was significantly better than pods.

Eventually I bought whole bean coffee by accident, and rather than throw it away I bought a lovely blade grinder. That was such a big improvement I bought a "cheap" Capresso conical burr grinder that was another noticeable improvement.

A couple years later I bought one of those Mr Coffee mostly automatic latte machines as a Christmas gift for my (now ex) wife. We mostly used it on the weekend for treat coffee, and it produced a reasonable Starbucks subtitute. Eventually the Bunn developed issues, so I started making a double shot espresso with the Mr Coffee and just putting cold half and half in it. A kind of a lazy Cortado. Delicious.

That's kind of where I've stayed for a while, and I really enjoy it. Now I've got the upgrade bug and am looking at spending a mortgage payment on an espresso machine. It's a journey for sure.

Obviously weren't responding to me, but this place is on my typical drive to work; any particular variety of theirs you'd recommend?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I honestly don't remember what I used to get there. Its been a while. I had started going to Parks roastery out of convenience. They have a pretty neat little cafe in their main facility off 161 and would do tours and coffee cupping classes back when you could do those kinds of things.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Oh nice, good to see some coffee recs near-ish by. I've been getting beans from Addison Coffee Roasters for a while now but have been looking to try some shops now that I'm fully vaccinated.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Depending on where you are in Oklahoma, Onyx is in NW Arkansas and is considered to be one of the best roasters in the country. I've tried several different espresso blends and have settled on Monarch as my favorite

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Anyone else bripe curious?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jestery posted:

Kinda :/

But my clever dripper arrived yesterday, so for a while I'm good on new toys

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jestery posted:

100%

though i don't plan on needing one anytime soon regrettably

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Bripe kit currently on sale for $50, half off the regular price. I ordered one yesterday but it looks like they're now backordered

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

hypnophant posted:

Bripe kit currently on sale for $50, half off the regular price. I ordered one yesterday but it looks like they're now backordered

Hoffmann'd

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I got the one that comes with the free moustache wax and a flat-cap.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Finally an answer to how I can make my colleagues uncomfortable by simply drinking coffee

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

is bripe just another name for a unicycle or is this something I missed earlier

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Having just learned about Smeg appliances this week, I did not think something could be named worse, but Bripe sure is up there.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gonna Bripe while I give my baby Gripe water

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ the Bripe.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The thing is the bripe only holds like 5 grams of coffee. I need more.

Kickstart my Brong project

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

if this is brong i dont wanna be bripe

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FAUXTON posted:

is bripe just another name for a unicycle or is this something I missed earlier

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Love to vibe with my friends around the Brookah

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I know I want to carry around a copper Bripe in my pocket while skiing. That way the first time I wipe out I crush the thing.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

calmly and without any embarrassment explaining to the officer that it's a coffee brewer that fits my busy, adventurous lifestyle

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Having just learned about Smeg appliances this week, I did not think something could be named worse, but Bripe sure is up there.

they’re utter poo poo too. i was curious when i saw them in a store and they were all very very cheaply made

i own every Bionicle posted:

The thing is the bripe only holds like 5 grams of coffee. I need more.

Kickstart my Brong project

this is a big reason i don’t want one.

also do they address any kind of copper toxicity? coffees acidic.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FAUXTON posted:

if this is brong i dont wanna be bripe

Bripeout! :frogout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13yZAjhU0M

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Even if one arrived at my door tomorrow, I would refuse to believe that somebody actually made and sold this. I'm just going to believe that Hoffman released his April Fools video a week early because I've never seen a method of drinking coffee ironically before.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
That thing is $50? And it is half off?

lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just got an Aeropress. Who's got the good techniquez?

I tried the "2019 Aeropress champion" recipe this morning (30mg of coffee, 100mg of water, stir vigorously, flip and plunge @ :40 seconds, add another 120 mg of water). Thought it seemed weak, which makes sense considering it doesn't brew very long, but people seem to swear by it.

Tried again with a more basic approach - 18mg of coffee, pour in some water and stir a few times, slowly pour in more water to the top, flip and plunge at about 1:30. Much stronger.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

AndrewP posted:

I tried the "2019 Aeropress champion" recipe this morning (30mg of coffee, 100mg of water, stir vigorously, flip and plunge @ :40 seconds, add another 120 mg of water). Thought it seemed weak, which makes sense considering it doesn't brew very long, but people seem to swear by it.

Tried again with a more basic approach - 18mg of coffee, pour in some water and stir a few times, slowly pour in more water to the top, flip and plunge at about 1:30. Much stronger.

I usually do 18g coffee, fill to 2, stir for 20 secs, fill to 4, let it steep for 40 seconds, then a 30s plunge

Usually results in some good fuel

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

I know I want to carry around a copper Bripe in my pocket while skiing. That way the first time I wipe out I crush the thing.

Or it stabs you!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

AndrewP posted:

There’s a bazillion different techniques for it and you’ll find many different opinions and guides. It will also depend a lot on the coffee. I like the second one you mentioned, I was using I think 15 grams of coffee and 220 grams of water.

There’s also the “Aerover” technique where you use it like a pour over don’t even plunge it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfHmh4bGLmw

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think he absolutely should have held off on the Bripe video until April 1. Engagement would have been through the roof!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I’m halfway to ordering a Bripe for all the reasons James outlined in his video. It’s hilarious. I wish it were stainless though. Actually, I could probably make one....

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

That looks so loving stupid, but good god, for some reason I want one?

I think I need to buy a smoking jacket first

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

404notfound posted:

That looks so loving stupid, but good god, for some reason I want one?

literally my thought process

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Gonna Bripe while I give my baby Gripe water

Don't Bogart the bripe dude

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i own every Bionicle posted:

There’s a bazillion different techniques for it and you’ll find many different opinions and guides. It will also depend a lot on the coffee. I like the second one you mentioned, I was using I think 15 grams of coffee and 220 grams of water.

There’s also the “Aerover” technique where you use it like a pour over don’t even plunge it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfHmh4bGLmw

lol i've never heard of this but it actually sounds pretty good? going to try it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdGb9jxqws

seems like this fancy thing is basically an Aeropress But Pourover And No Press, so the idea isn't too crazy

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 25, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Fwiw: my recipe

Inverted method
14g coffee medium/fine

Start timer

200ml of 90° water poured quickly

Replace cap and filter

At 35 seconds right the aeropress onto your mug and press down for another 30-40 seconds

Aim to finish up at ~ minute and ten

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

"Officer I swear all those empty butane canisters in the back are for my bripe and not crack."

Son, pease step out of the car.

"It's just coffee bro!"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dead Nerve posted:

"Officer I swear all those empty butane canisters in the back are for my bripe and not crack."

Son, pease step out of the car.

"It's just coffee bro!"

uh huh, what's this for then *unrolls plastic bag containing grounds and a bripe*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for all the Aeropress recipes. I’ll keep trying different ways but it sounds like I’m on the right track.