Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have the cateye strap. I’m waiting for the strap to get extra gross since it is basically a sweatband, but it’s not noticeable while using it at all.

I’ve had to reset it a few times but I can’t tell if it’s the strap , Zwift , or my iPad .

I was in a group ride on Zwift the other day when a call came in. My iPad rang, and when I hit decline Zwift froze up.

When I opened it again, it asked me to continue, and when it put me in I was cycling through the air not near any road.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duh, I’m in the indoor thread.

Why are you using your watch? Do you want the activities to sync with garmin connect?

I had that watch and it worked fine with a wahoo tickr X chest strap and their arm strap. I got rid of it for a Venu though because I wanted music while running-it hooks up to the arm strap just fine but I just use the optical one-it’s close enough for me.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
you can get cheap ($20ish) optical HRMs now

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nwin posted:

Duh, I’m in the indoor thread.

Why are you using your watch? Do you want the activities to sync with garmin connect?

I had that watch and it worked fine with a wahoo tickr X chest strap and their arm strap. I got rid of it for a Venu though because I wanted music while running-it hooks up to the arm strap just fine but I just use the optical one-it’s close enough for me.

Because I already have a watch and don't want to buy more poo poo, but the watch sucks at connecting to Peloton so there goes that.

I'll just get whatever strap is most popular.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

FogHelmut posted:

Because I already have a watch and don't want to buy more poo poo, but the watch sucks at connecting to Peloton so there goes that.

I'll just get whatever strap is most popular.

Yeah-just grab a cheap chest HRM. I’ve never thought they were inconvenient to use.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The only downside to a chest strap is that it's cold when you first put it on. Other than that it's more accurate and way less complicated than any sportswatch optical sensor

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bi-la kaifa posted:

The only downside to a chest strap is that it's cold when you first put it on.

This part is, however, worse than death.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I put mine on the radiator for a few minutes because im a soft southern shite.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I don’t have to take my jersey off to put an armband sensor on.

Also I don’t know if I have a weird chest or what, but I get far more reliable readings from an optical sensor on my bicep than I ever got from various chest straps over the years. Chest straps always cut out on me.

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

e.pilot posted:

I don’t have to take my jersey off to put an armband sensor on.

Also I don’t know if I have a weird chest or what, but I get far more reliable readings from an optical sensor on my bicep than I ever got from various chest straps over the years. Chest straps always cut out on me.

I had a wahoo tickr with that problem. I complained and they sent me a new strap and so far I've been good.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

I put mine on the radiator for a few minutes because im a soft southern shite.

I put a little water on it from my bottle. My bottle is in a 60F basement. It’s brisk.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I put a little water on it from my bottle. My bottle is in a 60F basement. It’s brisk.

water from ur bottle shouldn’t work. it needs electrolytes in it, so spit. maybe ur water has crazy high TDS so it works?

TobinHatesYou posted:

This part is, however, worse than death.

accurate

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Not all straps are created equal. The Polar H10 comes with their “pro soft strap” and I never need to wet it...plus it’s the comfiest strap I’ve used. Anyone with a late model Garmin HRM should be able to snap their sensor into this strap too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TobinHatesYou posted:

The Polar H10 comes with their “pro soft strap” and I never need to wet it...plus it’s the comfiest strap I’ve used.

Agreed on both these things

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I got a peloton a few weeks back, a neighbor who was moving to a small apartment in NYC sold me his year old bike for 600.

I've never been a huge cyclist, went through an outdoor biking phase about 10 years back but spin classes always seemed so dumb to me. But, man, I love it. The classes are great and the FTP testing and realtime data is awesome.

I had been running last year and making myself take rest days was easy because my knees and feet dictated it. I do 30-60 minute rides almost daily at a mixture of medium to difficult exertion.

The peloton doesn't have great overall programming imo. Most of the structured programs only recommend 4 days per week and I know that's too little for me. Should I just plan on 1 day per week of full rest?

I'm just focused on fat loss and cardiovascular health as I need to get me BP down

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

oxsnard posted:

I got a peloton a few weeks back, a neighbor who was moving to a small apartment in NYC sold me his year old bike for 600.

I've never been a huge cyclist, went through an outdoor biking phase about 10 years back but spin classes always seemed so dumb to me. But, man, I love it. The classes are great and the FTP testing and realtime data is awesome.

I had been running last year and making myself take rest days was easy because my knees and feet dictated it. I do 30-60 minute rides almost daily at a mixture of medium to difficult exertion.

The peloton doesn't have great overall programming imo. Most of the structured programs only recommend 4 days per week and I know that's too little for me. Should I just plan on 1 day per week of full rest?

I'm just focused on fat loss and cardiovascular health as I need to get me BP down

The thing about cycling or any aerobic activity is it makes you hungry, so don’t focus on that as a means of weight/fat loss. You just need to create and stick to having a calorie deficit day-in/day-out. The best way to do this IMO is to take whatever your current diet is now and reduce the portions by one-third. No need for restrictive diets, though eating less processed stuff will fill up your stomach with less energy dense foods, satiating your appetite with fewer calories.

On the fitness side of things, do the more structured, higher intensity workouts 2-3 days a week, then add however many hours you can stomach at lower intensity...like 60-65% of max HR.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

The thing about cycling or any aerobic activity is it makes you hungry, so don’t focus on that as a means of weight/fat loss. You just need to create and stick to having a calorie deficit day-in/day-out. The best way to do this IMO is to take whatever your current diet is now and reduce the portions by one-third. No need for restrictive diets, though eating less processed stuff will fill up your stomach with less energy dense foods, satiating your appetite with fewer calories.

On the fitness side of things, do the more structured, higher intensity workouts 2-3 days a week, then add however many hours you can stomach at lower intensity...like 60-65% of max HR.

yeah I'm pretty experienced with weight loss generally as I've lifted for 20 years and was a competitive swimmer. I'm good on the diet stuff but tanks for the training suggestion. I was leaning towards 1 90 minute endurance workout on weekends, 3 days of HITT or intervals or climb rides, 1-2 easy recovery rides and a full day of rest.

Sounds like that's in line with what you suggest, thanks

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

oxsnard posted:

holy poo poo i would have bought one at that price, too. i'm still hopeful that there will be a rash of cheap home gym equipment when the pandemic fully ends.

i bought a JOROTO and added a wahoo bt cadence sensor and use it with the peloton digital app and i love it. and once i started doing the cycling classes i added the tread classes (work great with the treadmill i already have), the stretching before and after which i always used to be bad about, etc. it's a great experience honestly.

i think you can go at your speed; i tend to do some kind of cardio every day, but switch between running and cycling

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I've got an almost unused Saris M2 indoor trainer I'm trying to sell. Is there any site bike nerds use for buying/selling that's better than ebay?

Edit: or if any goons want it pm me I guess

Zisky fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 5, 2021

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I didn't realize you could talk peloton in here, that's what's going in it's place. Hope I'm not a pariah for throwing in the towel.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Zisky posted:

I didn't realize you could talk peloton in here, that's what's going in it's place. Hope I'm not a pariah for throwing in the towel.

Please keep using a towel

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a Peloton and all the required stuff for my wife and I, and she asked me to look at other options, which brought me to this thread. We are looking for an indoor bike, neither of have experience cycling or doing spin, but know we want a bike vs a rower or treadmill for a small home gym we're putting together. I subscribe to the peloton app and I really like it and their trainers. Don't care too much about the leaderboard or heart rate monitors etc that come built in with a Peloton. The bike will be set up in our office/gym which has my PC and will have a TV mounted on the wall as well, so we can sync the bike to that using the app.

Is something like the Schwinn IC4 mentioned earlier a good alternative for people like us? Any other brands people like? I know costco has the echelon, bowflex has one, etc. Certainly wouldn't mind saving over $1000, which I can then spend on fans per the rest of the threads advice.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Iron Lung posted:

So I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a Peloton and all the required stuff for my wife and I, and she asked me to look at other options, which brought me to this thread. We are looking for an indoor bike, neither of have experience cycling or doing spin, but know we want a bike vs a rower or treadmill for a small home gym we're putting together. I subscribe to the peloton app and I really like it and their trainers. Don't care too much about the leaderboard or heart rate monitors etc that come built in with a Peloton. The bike will be set up in our office/gym which has my PC and will have a TV mounted on the wall as well, so we can sync the bike to that using the app.

Is something like the Schwinn IC4 mentioned earlier a good alternative for people like us? Any other brands people like? I know costco has the echelon, bowflex has one, etc. Certainly wouldn't mind saving over $1000, which I can then spend on fans per the rest of the threads advice.

i just bought the joroto x2 and i'm very pleased. right now they're $440 in the us, i think i paid $590 cad for mine. very good build quality, belt drive, magnetic resistance. quiet, easy to use. i stuck one of the wahoo bluetooth cadence sensors on the pedal bar and it works great with the peloton ios app. i just set an ipad on the top and ignore the (admittedly mediocre) computer that it comes with. it works super well, plus the ios membership is half the price of the peloton membership itself, though it's limited to one person if that matters for you (completely worth it imo). the only difference between using it and the peloton is that you have to get your own feel for what the resistance levels are (this isn't a big deal imo since the trainers are good about calling out what the resistance should feel like, not just the value), and you don't get a power readout for the leaderboard (i don't care about this, personally).

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

If you're good with the app experience (which, quite honestly, is a bargain for $13/month), then the IC4 would be perfect. My three biggest issues are:
1) I wish the handlebars could go higher -- if your inseam is >32" you're going to be in a very aero position.
2) The built-in cadence display is a stupid bar graph that takes too much effort to read at a glance. This isn't an issue with the iOS Peloton app as I can get the heart-rate and cadence on the screen but would be an issue for Androids.
3) Built-in pedals are just a shade above garbage, but can easily be replaced with Venzos from Amazon for ~$100. They never bothered my wife, so if you don't know better you'll be fine to stick with them.

I do avoid doing the Power Zone rides because that would involve running Kinetic or some other second device to see "power" and the cadence on a lower screen. But if you have a big TV running Peloton, and a phone/tablet running Kinetic or similar to see your "power" you'd be good. I'm just spoiled with having the heart rate and cadence overlayed on screen.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Why is power in quotation marks?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

vikingstrike posted:

Why is power in quotation marks?

IC4 doesn't have a PM, it's estimated from rpm I believe.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Jonny Quest posted:

If you're good with the app experience (which, quite honestly, is a bargain for $13/month), then the IC4 would be perfect. My three biggest issues are:
1) I wish the handlebars could go higher -- if your inseam is >32" you're going to be in a very aero position.
2) The built-in cadence display is a stupid bar graph that takes too much effort to read at a glance. This isn't an issue with the iOS Peloton app as I can get the heart-rate and cadence on the screen but would be an issue for Androids.
3) Built-in pedals are just a shade above garbage, but can easily be replaced with Venzos from Amazon for ~$100. They never bothered my wife, so if you don't know better you'll be fine to stick with them.

I do avoid doing the Power Zone rides because that would involve running Kinetic or some other second device to see "power" and the cadence on a lower screen. But if you have a big TV running Peloton, and a phone/tablet running Kinetic or similar to see your "power" you'd be good. I'm just spoiled with having the heart rate and cadence overlayed on screen.

Appreciate this post very much, as well as the one before! Gonna pull the trigger on the Schwinn or Bowflex today after a little more research. We're both short, iPhone users, who wont know the difference about the pedals, so seems like we'll be in great shape (so to speak)!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
My work subsidizes about 80% an indoor training bicycle so I ended up getting a Wahoo Kickr Bike after using a Sports Basement 30% off coupon (which surprisingly worked on this)

Overall thoughts:

• The included kit (handlebar, tape, saddle, post, stem) all suck. They really went bottom of the barrel for each of these items. The post is important because it has the measurements you need for their fitting tool. The stem can be replaced fairly easily so I have no issues there, but I'm not sure if that impacts how the fitting tool works. The handlebar and tape are both just really cheap feeling.
  • The machine itself is extremely quiet and unlike other reports, I haven't seen any issues with manufacturing that make me question the purchase.
  • Its great not having to sweat on one of my extra bikes.
  • The footprint of the bike is greatly reduced compared to a bike on trainer.
  • Its great not having to switch bikes constantly if and when my wife wants to use the trainer. Its also nice since her bike is a 10sp where I don't have to switch out the cassette every time as well.

The cost makes it prohibitive for a lot and if I wasn't getting subsidized I would have never considered buying it. That being said, its overall well built.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Indoor smart bike supremacy :grin:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

e.pilot posted:

Indoor smart bike supremacy :grin:

Did you get the stages? What do you think of it?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

n8r posted:

Did you get the stages? What do you think of it?

it’s extremely good

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
My kickr core has stopped reporting power, cadence, and speed. Seems like the ESD issue. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01/wahoo-ceo-details-fixes-for-issues-surrounding-kickr-2018-kickr-core.html

I put in a ticket with wahoo support :(

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I want to thank everyone ITT that recommended adding a fan to your training setup - it’s obvious in retrospect, but it makes such a difference in how you feel during and after a ride. I did 60min. of HIIT the other day and felt like I could have kept going another hour, whereas before I would start feeling gassed around the 40min. mark.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I did a bike fit with only an 8" fan on me and I have no idea how anyone could ride the trainer without at least one big rear end fan, preferably 2-3.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I have a tacX non-electronic in any way trainer, and I'm looking for recommendations for getting a computer mounted on my bike to track distance and cadence on rides. Any have suggestions for what's not going to break the bank, or the minimum of what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I did a bike fit with only an 8" fan on me and I have no idea how anyone could ride the trainer without at least one big rear end fan, preferably 2-3.

I ride with a 12in Vornado and it works pretty well. Figure it gets me ready for the humid as hell summers. I used to ride with two 3 foot box fans, but my SO complained about my bike poo poo taking up too much space :rolleyes:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

I Am Not Spor posted:

I ride with a 12in Vornado and it works pretty well. Figure it gets me ready for the humid as hell summers. I used to ride with two 3 foot box fans, but my SO complained about my bike poo poo taking up too much space :rolleyes:

For the space, the Lasko blowers are hard to beat. They push more air than my Vornado and take up comparable area.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

For the space, the Lasko blowers are hard to beat. They push more air than my Vornado and take up comparable area.

Definitely seconding the Lasko. I start out actually cold for the first few minutes and actually stay fairly dry during easier rides.

Bonus is that they have a super long cord and have a duplex outlet built in, so I plug my trainer and Surface into the fan so I don't have a mess of cables everywhere.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Those do look nice. I have a swamp cooler that I use without the swamp function. It's great because the fan is elevated so I get straight-on wind to my torso. The best part is the remote control so I can slowly ramp up the fan speed as I warm up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

vikingstrike posted:

Kinda surprised I never thought of a blower. I know the newer models are crazy good at moving air, at least the industrial ones. Not sure my partner would approve of my spending $100+ on a fan right now though. $50 bar tape and a $60 GPS/camera mount? Sure, of course.