Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you'd best start believin in societies, Batman
you're in one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pirate Jet posted:

Justice is Gray Edition is up on HBO Max. Sorry folks, still no We live in a society line.

Pathetic

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Neo Rasa posted:

They should have set the scene in the US so it would be more realistic that the school kids would be used to insane white regressives shooting at them.
This shouldn't have made me laugh so much but it did.

McSpanky posted:

And it wasn't even his idea! Leto ad-libbed it. And people say he's a terrible Joker.

This is going to sound weird but I promise I am not trolling. I don't think Leto is THAT bad. Is he my least favourite Joker? Sure though I don't really count Joaquim Joker in the pantheon. Is he as bad as people say and something to be mocked into oblivion? Not in my opinion. I mean... mock Leto for being a weird cultist with his band but his Joker is alright. Hate people for overly romanticizing the Harley/Joker relationship and missing the entire point as well as pretty much a million other things. One thing I will give Leto is that his Joker is not imitating any of the other guys. Even if he is my least favourite I like his Post Credits Serial Killer loving with Batman's head take. Liked it better than Suicide Squad.

So watched it for a third time and... I am shocked how much I like this movie. Watched the Whedon version also to compare and contrast and it is amazing how much more cohesive this movie is. Whedon's version had a few decent lines ("Just one person" and "Why do they keep saying this to me?") but sloppy and sloppy, dumb action movie. Snyder's version was a million times a Snyder film but a decent DC movie. A bit too long and could have used some editing but really enjoyable. I wish they had left out the first MM moment as it weakened the scene but other things, like Cyborg getting an infodump and then donating to the single waitress mom and the Flash/Iris scene were absolutely fantastic. Whedon's version most of the scenes that were memorable (Icky Thump Aquaman or that loving Russian family) were only memorable because they were so bloody dumb. Lots of good action and I really liked the theme of relationships. This is a different Bat than has been on the screen for my lifetime and I like his progression from BvS. Even enjoyed the post credit scenes and thought the Post Apoc JL was interesting. Found myself wishing we had more Affleck Batman.

Character wise? Really liked everyone. I thought Flash was far better in this and, again, loved the Iris and Barry scene. I want that song. Really made me like his Flash. Loved how the heroes were nuked and he had to go flashpoint in order to save the day. Cyborg was far better although I will agree not as good as Doom Patrol. The donation scene and extended bits with his dad were great and did a ton of work to make him cool but I like the actor and "goofy retro" look in Doom Patrol. Still far better than Whedon and "Booya" (despite my tween love of Teen Titans). I like Cyborg and wish he would stick around but maybe change the costume.Jason Momoa is always cool but he's that guy you get hosed up with on the weekend. I don't know if he's a great actor but he just seems like such a mate that you like him on screen. Wonder Woman was brilliant aside from the Gladiator-esque Amazon Lament every time she did something cool. I miss the simple beat from WW and BvS. Superman looked far better and they did a good job of presenting him as power incarnate. Steppenwolf made me a bit sad as, despite his threatening power and look, just felt like a puppy that wanted to come home. Him getting clowned by Superman hard was hilarious though. Batman? I agree with that one goon that this was his movie. Really liked how different he was than any Bat we had seen before. He was a loner, awkwardly trying to be learn to be a dad that he, himself, never had to a bunch of super powered children. Hate that we won't have more of this Bats and the JLA. Kinda feel that these guys put in the work and got the shaft solely due to political hollywood shenanigans. Deathstroke versus the Bat could be a ton of fun and the animated JLA Flashpoint cartoons made me intrigued how a live action version of the Darkseid Post Apoc world would be.

Doom2020! fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 25, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That'll be 7pm my time, which is perfect.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You really could re-cut this to make anybody the protagonist except maybe Aquaman or Superman. And for Superman you'd just have to add a couple scenes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You could get a nice short cut with Aquaman as the protagonist

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
People have been talking about Martian Manhunter standing in for Martha, and this undermining a decent scene between two female characters, but I feel like this is missing the obvious conclusion: Martian Manhunter isn't standing in for Martha, he IS Martha. He has literally put himself in place to guide Superman from day one, taking the name of Martha to ensure the eventual peace between Superman and Batman.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

People have been talking about Martian Manhunter standing in for Martha, and this undermining a decent scene between two female characters, but I feel like this is missing the obvious conclusion: Martian Manhunter isn't standing in for Martha, he IS Martha. He has literally put himself in place to guide Superman from day one, taking the name of Martha to ensure the eventual peace between Superman and Batman.

So...did Jonathan know?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The "Marthan Manhunter" scene reminds me a lot of the "Diana watches Justice League trailers" from BvS, in the sense that Snyder is so hot to tease something that he's willing to undermine some of the effective drama that he's set up to do it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I like the MM scene just for the awesome excercise in writing double speak but I totally get why it bothers people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

thrawn527 posted:

So...did Jonathan know?

Let's just say there's advantages in it for him. :wiggle:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

thrawn527 posted:

So...did Jonathan know?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, what red-blooded American would say no to a shapeshifting spouse? It also explains why they were both chill about a space baby, and why the government never showed up - he was prepared for the super baby's arrival.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Martian dick ladies call "The Green Mile"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Clark: What does this mean?
Jonathan: It means you're the answer son. The answer to the question "Is there any more life on other planets?"
Clark: "Any more?" That's a weird way to phrase that.
Jonathan: Don't worry about that Clark.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Martian Manhunter subplot is tricky because the point isn’t that Bruce Wayne is teaming up with yet another alien, but that he’s now in cahoots with the US military.

It’s why General Swanwick was chosen as a ‘good enough’ replacement for the Space Police.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

2house2fly posted:

You could get a nice short cut with Aquaman as the protagonist
This is probably true.

I think the problem with cutting down Justice League is that Cyborg is the best part of it--or the good part if you're me--but he's also not the main character. You can tell that Snyder really vibed with Fisher and liked playing around with his take on the Internet God. I feel like you get the sense that Cyborg really came alive during the process and he has a clear arc that resonates the most while never being the protagonist. But you can understand that in terms of the story of St. Paul Batman resurrecting Superman while you would cut a lot of that good stuff out.

And what sucks is you can totally imagine him being the protagonist, but it really requires a rewrite.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'd love to watch the Justice is Gray edition, but HBO still hasn't bothered to do anything about the half screen thing, or even respond to my email, saw many people on reddit with the same problem so it isn't just me.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

With how that ending scene now plays out, Bruce Wayne working with the US military, it’s somewhat of a punch line. Since it follows from the knightmare that features a Suicide Squad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Should have just made Swannick a new Green Lantern. Maybe you couldn't get John Stewart, how about Swannick as GL himself, having just been contacted?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'd love to watch the Justice is Gray edition, but HBO still hasn't bothered to do anything about the half screen thing, or even respond to my email, saw many people on reddit with the same problem so it isn't just me.

Do you mean in the browser? Have you tried holding Ctrl and scrolling up? That fixed it for me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Should have just made Swannick a new Green Lantern. Maybe you couldn't get John Stewart, how about Swannick as GL himself, having just been contacted?

Just have Ryan Reynolds show up and give zero backstory

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Just have Ryan Reynolds show up and give zero backstory

I wanted it to be Keanu Reeves' Constantine to roll up to Bruce's place.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Do you mean in the browser? Have you tried holding Ctrl and scrolling up? That fixed it for me.

yeah I did, it works sort of but I still end up with a bit cut off, it's probably okay for something in 4:3 actually, just being salty.

ah just remembered I have an xbox one s that outputs to my monitor's resolution, maybe I'll dust it off.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 25, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

yeah I did, it works sort of but I still end up with a bit cut off, it's probably okay for something in 4:3 actually, just being salty.

ah just remembered I have an xbox one s that outputs to my monitor's resolution, maybe I'll dust it off.

Have you tried creating a Chrome "app" for HBO Max to see if that helps? Steps if you haven't:

1) Open HBO Max in a new Chrome tab
2) Click on the 3 vertical dots (top right) of the browser window
3) From the context menu, under the 'More tools' section select 'Create shortcut'
4) Name the shortcut, and make sure the 'Open as window' option is checked
5) Launch the HBO Max "app" you just created

See if launching into full screen from there works properly.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Doom2020! posted:

Really liked how different he was than any Bat we had seen before. He was a loner, awkwardly trying to be learn to be a dad that he, himself, never had to a bunch of super powered children.
Batfleck's character arc is a highlight of the series for me. The 'Not my Batman' brigade want to see The World's Greatest Detective on screen, but Batfleck has been living that life for 20 years before we meet him and the only thing he has achieved by being a violent, crusading loner (aside from getting Robin killed) is priming himself to snap in Metropolis.

The 'What have we accomplished?' question to Alfred in BvS is the right question but he has already jumped to the wrong conclusion - take the crusade even further - and it takes another psychological shock to wake him up. The fate of the world then turns on his success in bringing others together, something that Batman could never do but Bruce can.

I'm sure the point has been made before, but I like the contrast with Clark, who finds inner peace (or whatever) by embracing his identity as both Clark and Kal El, while the only possible happy ending for Bruce is in his rejection of Batman. "The Bat is dead. Bury it." was actually good advice.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

teagone posted:

Have you tried creating a Chrome "app" for HBO Max to see if that helps? Steps if you haven't:

1) Open HBO Max in a new Chrome tab
2) Click on the 3 vertical dots (top right) of the browser window
3) From the context menu, under the 'More tools' section select 'Create shortcut'
4) Name the shortcut, and make sure the 'Open as window' option is checked
5) Launch the HBO Max "app" you just created

See if launching into full screen from there works properly.

Sadly it did not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Sadly it did not.

Dang, that's so weird. :rip:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

teagone posted:

Dang, that's so weird. :rip:

I partially blame my 1440p monitor, always run into little quirks that I wouldn't have to deal with on a 1080p monitor and to a lesser extent 4k, though not in this particular situation as it seems to affect 4k monitors too. I'd be interested to know if anyone on a 1080p monitor had this exact issue, something tells me there aren't any, hence the army of people responding on reddit with "works fine for me"

yeah changing the resolution of my monitor to 1080 "fixes it." but also :barf:

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 25, 2021

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

If you zoom into the shot of Batman on the tank at the end, you can see that those are mutants from Dark Knight Returns based off the faintly visible red goggles/visors.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
That might be the funniest joke in the movie for me. Just Batman staring up into the sky, guarding his city, and then it pans out and out and out and he's standing on top of a goddamn supertank.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

AccountSupervisor posted:

If you zoom into the shot of Batman on the tank at the end, you can see that those are mutants from Dark Knight Returns based off the faintly visible red goggles/visors.

say whaaat? oh i needed to rewatch anyway.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Its super subtle and they almost look like blindfolds but given the tank and Snyders love of TDKR its almost certainly mutants.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

yeah changing the resolution of my monitor to 1080 "fixes it." but also :barf:

isn't that practically the same as fullscreening a 1080 video source? no streaming service allows PC browsers access to higher than 1080 resolution content except netflix on edge with certain intel processors under a full moon

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alexander Hamilton posted:

That might be the funniest joke in the movie for me. Just Batman staring up into the sky, guarding his city, and then it pans out and out and out and he's standing on top of a goddamn supertank.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

It's great

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

isn't that practically the same as fullscreening a 1080 video source? no streaming service allows PC browsers access to higher than 1080 resolution content except netflix on edge with certain intel processors under a full moon

Yeah probably, but I hate changing my monitor's resolution cuz it makes me resize all my windows again, not the biggest deal, and I can live with it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

HBO Max respects Zack Snyder's artistic vision so much that they put up black pillars on the side no matter what you're watching and all you can do is complain.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh god, Ben Shapiro posted a review video of this? Like, can he stay out of poo poo like this? Or, like...everything?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Either they stealth fixed it or I'm just really lucky, never closing this hbomax tab lol.

Sir Kodiak posted:

HBO Max respects Zack Snyder's artistic vision so much that they put up black pillars on the side no matter what you're watching and all you can do is complain.
guess we should be grateful it isn't all in black and white.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Martian Manhunter subplot is tricky because the point isn’t that Bruce Wayne is teaming up with yet another alien, but that he’s now in cahoots with the US military.

It’s why General Swanwick was chosen as a ‘good enough’ replacement for the Space Police.
I feel like there are a lot of reads you can get from MM that are kind of all over the place.

The whole "World needs you too Lois Lane" makes it seem like is somewhat aware of the future, positioning him as a mystical figure.

The original scene with Man of Steel also feels contextualized to being someone who is a lot like Superman but not open questioning the path Superman is taking.

Like I feel like your take is valid, but even those two reads I have don't necessarily gel well with me. Although I like the idea that Martian Manhunter is the true Prophet of Superman as opposed to Batman who is a really bad apostle.