Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, just talking about how the idea makes me feel a bit queasy. I'm sure it would be great for people who really like racing and who acclimated well to VR, though.

True, VR can be tough but it really does get better the more you play and get accustomed to it. Dirt 2 ditching the VR mode was a downright crime though, the first game was a lot of fun in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wipeout actually lets you turn off camera roll, so even if your hovercraft does go rear end over teakettle down a hill (something I don't think can happen in the game anyway) your view stays perfectly level

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

haveblue posted:

Wipeout actually lets you turn off camera roll, so even if your hovercraft does go rear end over teakettle down a hill (something I don't think can happen in the game anyway) your view stays perfectly level

It's for barrel rolls (which give you a speed boost upon landing and are an absolutely crucial part of winning some races), instead of your whole view doing a spin, only the ship does and the cockpit stays level. It also has blinders but you miss a lot of the world detail that way.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, just talking about how the idea makes me feel a bit queasy. I'm sure it would be great for people who really like racing and who acclimated well to VR, though.

I have a pretty weak stomach when it comes to VR, and I can get motion sick IRL just reading in a moving car. But I was totally fine with Wipeout. They did a good job with their motion sickness options and set good defaults.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Super Mario Bros. is a legit great movie, but not a particularly good one. The dystopian cityscape was blade runner inspired, and pulls it off pretty nicely for a family movie in the early 90's. The movie on the whole is bizarre and memorable and a lot of fun, even if the Mario stuff isn't very Super. And it's bizarrely prescient, with the World Trade Center disintegrating in real time toward the climax. The whole movie feels like a loving homage to ridiculous 80's action in the same way Galaxy Quest was a loving homage to ridiculous Star Trek, and basically just as contemporary. Galaxy Quest does it better but that doesn't mean Super Mario Bros is any less fun for all of that.

Bob Hoskins.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also WipeOut Omega Collection is so goddamn awesome. Great flat, but amazing in VR. If Sony got Studio Liverpool back and PS5 got a new WipeOut I'd thoroughly lose my poo poo.

Casnorf posted:

Super Mario Bros. is a legit great movie, but not a particularly good one. The dystopian cityscape was blade runner inspired, and pulls it off pretty nicely for a family movie in the early 90's. The movie on the whole is bizarre and memorable and a lot of fun, even if the Mario stuff isn't very Super. And it's bizarrely prescient, with the World Trade Center disintegrating in real time toward the climax. The whole movie feels like a loving homage to ridiculous 80's action in the same way Galaxy Quest was a loving homage to ridiculous Star Trek, and basically just as contemporary. Galaxy Quest does it better but that doesn't mean Super Mario Bros is any less fun for all of that.

Bob Hoskins.

It gets points for trying something different with the source material, not just retreading the game like the upcoming movies/tv shows will likely do. Also yeah, Bob Hoskins as Mario is some inspired casting. And it has a killer song attached to it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

acksplode posted:

I have a pretty weak stomach when it comes to VR, and I can get motion sick IRL just reading in a moving car. But I was totally fine with Wipeout. They did a good job with their motion sickness options and set good defaults.

The first drop in Wipeout made my stomach lurch a bit, but after that I'd acclimated, so their settings are amazing. Bow To Blood I still have to be careful with, though. Don't let a game yaw, pitch, and roll under thrust in VR. Whoof.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Street Fighter the movie killed Raul Julia and I will never forgive it. Even if it did star Cocaine, JCVD, Cocaine, Kylie Minogue, and Cocaine, featuring Raul Julia.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Oscar Wild posted:

Street Fighter the movie killed Raul Julia and I will never forgive it. Even if it did star Cocaine, JCVD, Cocaine, Kylie Minogue, and Cocaine, featuring Raul Julia.

but without Street Fighter: The Movie we wouldn't have Raul Julia delivering one of cinema's greatest treasures

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

It gets points for trying something different with the source material, not just retreading the game like the upcoming movies/tv shows will likely do. Also yeah, Bob Hoskins as Mario is some inspired casting. And it has a killer song attached to it.

I do give any derivative creative work a lot of credit for that, personally. I love seeing what wild directions people can come up with to approach interesting dilemmas.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Oscar Wild posted:

He did it for his kids so really they’re the monsters in this situation.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah its even weirder because, uh, let’s just say I’m pretty active in this, uh, community, and I’ve only ever been pinged like this 2 times in 15 years of torrenting:

1) 4 years ago, getting the new Game Thrones episode for my friend who missed it because she was working
2) yesterday, the Snyder Cut

So I have to assume HBO just has the most online legal team of them all?

The last video game I pirated was Control for PC at launch, because I couldn’t afford it when it came out. A hurricane shut down my business for a month and I couldn’t work or make rent... I just wanted a game.

I loved Control so much I’ve since bought it for PS4 and then again separately for PS5, so the spinning wheels of karma are balanced once again. Now I’m swimming in dough and halfway considering just grabbing Disny+ for a month to catch up on movies.

It probably is HBO, the only time I’ve ever received a letter from my ISP for torrenting, it was for an episode of True Detective season 1 like halfway through the season.

lordfrikk posted:

So the Soulsborne vibes lately in the thread made me want to give another chance to Dark Souls 3 which I bounced off after hitting a brick wall with Pontiff Sulyvahn. I loaded up it on Friday and by Sunday evening I defeated Soul of Cinder :eyepop:

Took me around 30 hours to finish, while before I was at 35 hours at Pontiff, somehow. It turned around my opinion of the whole game from being my least favorite to one of the tops. I still have DLC to go and I know it's supposedly the hardest content of all of DS3 so I'm looking forward to it. I went with Heavy Long Sword and Heavy Great Club and by the end I am was wearing the full Morne's Set with Grass Crest Shield and still kept my weight load just under 70%. poo poo rules. I am getting the same feeling as when I was reaching the end of DS2 (my most played Souls game to date at around 200 hours) when I would imagine what other weapons and builds I could try.

This rules

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i like how he charged up for his ultimate attack then flew into some CRTs and died

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i like how he charged up for his ultimate attack then flew into some CRTs and died

m bison what psycho crusher he own skull

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is one of my favorite political broadcasters who made a longform critique of American movie culture and how it contributed to Trump by essentially normalizing Trump as an archetype, all of whom are actually just caricatures of Trump himself. The Super Mario Bros. Movie features very prominently and it’s kind of Brain Melty in a very cool way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj-wc9qugGY

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The sympathetic portrayal of the Trump analogue in Gremlins 2 has not aged well at all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is Alternate Timeline Biff in there.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Aaahhhh sekiro just when I start to feel like I'm getting the hang of things the game kindly reminds me that I'm actually not. These samurai dudes in the castle are really tough. I feel like I'm deflecting them pretty well and getting their posture meters up but it seems really hard to give them that final push over the edge. The cramped quarters and adds all over the place dont particularly help.

Dunno if I'm supposed to be fighting this Genichiro dude again so soon? Knocked me flat on my rear end in no time.

Feels like theres still a million other things to do and explore tho. Ton of options, not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing but I'll figure it out eventually I guess

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Genichiro is progress, but nothing is forcing you to deal with him right away. Might help a bit if you don't, even.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

The sympathetic portrayal of the Trump analogue in Gremlins 2 has not aged well at all.

well, sure, since it's ted turner

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
its both

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

fridge corn posted:

Aaahhhh sekiro just when I start to feel like I'm getting the hang of things the game kindly reminds me that I'm actually not. These samurai dudes in the castle are really tough. I feel like I'm deflecting them pretty well and getting their posture meters up but it seems really hard to give them that final push over the edge. The cramped quarters and adds all over the place dont particularly help.

Dunno if I'm supposed to be fighting this Genichiro dude again so soon? Knocked me flat on my rear end in no time.

Feels like theres still a million other things to do and explore tho. Ton of options, not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing but I'll figure it out eventually I guess

He changes the world a bit when you finish him. You have tons of routes now but they eventually deadend until you beat genichiro. You can get a ton of prayer beads (at least 4 bracelets?) and 2 total memories before you fight him I believe.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Wowee, you guys were not kidding about the Ringed City. Ashes of Ariandel was great but this is a stinking pile of garbage that fell from someone's butt. Some strong Dark Souls 2 DLC vibes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

Wowee, you guys were not kidding about the Ringed City. Ashes of Ariandel was great but this is a stinking pile of garbage that fell from someone's butt. Some strong Dark Souls 2 DLC vibes.

It's really good but it is punishing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So uh when are those other 10 play at home games gonna be available?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

So uh when are those other 10 play at home games gonna be available?

3am tomorrow for me

e: so in six hours

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Remember to add free Ratchet & Clank in the next six hours if you haven't btw

A lot of people already have it from PS+ but it's still claimable as a separate free non-PS+ version so :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK6Hf96sfMI

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Excited to play Subnautica*

*in like six months after forgetting I own it because I'm bouncing between Uncharted, Fall Guys and Hitman 3 right now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Yeah, the samurai can indeed gently caress your poo poo up. They are sort of supposed to be badasses, similar to the ministry shinobi and another high tier mook I won't spoil.

Here's some advice. Genichiro is your next skill check and he is an epic bitch. He's where the game starts getting real, and by the time you're done with him you'll be so leveled up on gamer fuel that you won't look at videogames the same again. If you're on his doorstep then you are def in the right place and the next step is git gud. Just remember to study up on the Way of Tomoe deflection technique. Also, remember that we've all been there and Genichiro is a genuine BloodSouls player hallmark moment. We all bond over our shared enmity for this particular failson. You're doing great!

Hesitation is defeat

There are in fact numerous paths out of Ashina Castle that lead somewhere, and you can follow them all right now, to a point. But all of them are gated eventually and cannot be finished until Genichiro is toast. In my mind it's much more fulfilling to beat him and have the world wide open then it is to follow all the paths and be cut off eventually and have to return to him to open up the last 10% or whatever.

lordfrikk posted:

I love both the DLCs. So loving atmospheric. Remember to 1HKO the big headless saber dudes with a plunging attack! :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Excited to play Subnautica*

*in like six months after forgetting I own it because I'm bouncing between Uncharted, Fall Guys and Hitman 3 right now

Oh yeah, what is that game exactly? I've heard people talk about it some and it seemed interesting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/osamadorias/status/1374826738367270928?s=21

These never do anything but I signed it. Seriously gently caress this game and gently caress the US military and gently caress the devs who thought making this game was a good idea.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Seriously gently caress this game and gently caress the US military and gently caress the devs who thought making this game was a good idea.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
According to Rami Ismael (like gently caress i'm watching it myself), the very first words of Arab you hear in the gameplay preview video they released recently are "Allahu Akbar", immediately followed by gunfire and explosions. Also all the houses you enter and muslims you mow down are randomly generated, just to really drive home that only the player-controlled US soldiers actually count as human.

It's like they've approached the idea of making the most jingoistic war crimes-apologia they possibly could with the same gusto most developers would've approached wanting to make a good video game with.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

listening to catalyst ost rn. life is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPqCSBPLkKc

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there any way to access the PS1/PS2 games on the UK psn store website? The newer interface seems to have made them inaccessible.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Kin posted:

Is there any way to access the PS1/PS2 games on the UK psn store website? The newer interface seems to have made them inaccessible.

This post and the one below it will help you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

This post and the one below it will help you

holy poo poo nice, thanks

e: holy poo poo you can get the PS2 version of Deus Ex for PS3 :eyepop:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Oh yeah, what is that game exactly? I've heard people talk about it some and it seemed interesting.

It's a pretty good survival-exploration game, where the goal is get upgrades to dive progressively deeper down. It didn't hold my attention to the end, but I was hooked for the first dozen or so hours. It looks amazing, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Subnautica is great because while the survival and base building stuff is there, if it doesn't interest you, you don't have to go all out with it and can instead focus on exploration and story. I had an absolutely fantastic time using bases in a purely utilitarian fashion, making only what I needed to get me where I needed to go. Highly recommended.