Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MarxCarl posted:

umm, those last 2 are Brian Steelfreeze

God drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's not Liefeld

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
lol everything in that is so drat ugly

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not Liefeld

Poor Herb :(. Here’s a better page to make up for it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even as a stupid 90s preteen who was the direct target audience for XTREEEEME stuff and who thought shoulder pads were the coolest thing ever, I hated when comic artists drew characters with 200 teeth and spitmouth.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not Liefeld

It's just like Liefeld in that you laugh harder the longer you look at it. Like the three random spare bullets strapped to Reed's ankle. Or that the part of Reed's body necessary to carry that big-rear end gun like that is the least muscular.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like the banana shins.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

drat, that's the first time I've seen Reed drawn beefier-looking than Ben.

If we're talking about Herb Trimpe, he did some really good mecha-and-kaiju stuff for Shogun Warriors back in the day.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Panther's left leg should not have his foot going that way, unless he was involved in a skiing accident or something

And yeah, the bendy legs with little feet made me think for sure it was Liefeld.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

At least with Reed you always have an excuse so that you can say he's not drawn out of proportion.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

sure but look at this punch, it's just .... not any fun to look at at all, considering the things artists do all the time with Reed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

lol everything in that is so drat ugly

Seriously. I know when I think of Reed Richards, the first thing that comes to mind is bulk and hug muscles.

If I remember right, Trimpe was a good but not great artist mostly known for his work on the Hulk but I think Marvel at some point told him and everyone else to start drawing like Liefeld as the new "house style". I guess in that context he was a success because holy poo poo.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not Liefeld

So is this from a series where Reed injected himself with a few doses of the super-soldier serum?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this reminds me of a random issue i had of ff during the runup to onslaught where at the end reed buffs himself up to even more absurd levels iirc

e: lol found it

site fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 20, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

GiantDad Angry Reed :kimchi:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
REED SMASH... with an ongoing ten minute soliloquy of super-mega-ultra science jibberjabber.

Ending with, "it's quite simple, actually."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Panther's left leg should not have his foot going that way, unless he was involved in a skiing accident or something

Even the composition and coloring is poo poo because Panther's arm overlaps Reed's leg in a way that makes T'Challa look like he has a Popeye forearm with Venom eyes (Reed's thighs) on it with white Wolverine claws at the end of it (top of Reed's boot). Who sits down to draw Mr. Fantastic and says "you know what exemplifies this character? Huge muscles."

I think my favorite is "BTOK" where Reed's arm still looks like Arnold only just 2 feet longer. Really captures the essence of his powers there.

I suppose maybe Trimpe had fun drawing like this knowing that it didn't matter what anything wound up looking like so long as you cross hatch it to death and just inflate everything. And to his credit, his characters don't have 44 teeth.

Man, the style of that era was just "pose in every panel" too. I stopped collecting comics around 1989 and I think was a good choice. Here, have a palette cleanser because Bernie Wrightson was amazing

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Obviously we're just missing a panel of Reed bringing his thumb up to his mouth and inflating himself like a balloon.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Spider-Man v Society?

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

looks like the union's finally had it with bruce wayne's bullshit :berned:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

david_a posted:

Spider-Man v Society?

all the monster faces have this "Look I just want to TALK" expression

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That frankenstein picture is amazing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

site posted:

That frankenstein picture is amazing

The entire book is incredible. I have a hard bound copy of Shelley's novel that he illustrated and the art is so good it made me realize I suck (I'm an illustrator). It's astonishingly great. I think I posted some of it before but here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mp9bakm

That link has all the art from the book and my god is it incredible.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 20, 2021

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Libra posted:

Obviously we're just missing a panel of Reed bringing his thumb up to his mouth and inflating himself like a balloon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BiggerBoat posted:

The entire book is incredible. I have a hard bound copy of Shelley's novel that he illustrated and the art is so good it made me realize I suck (I'm an illustrator). It's astonishingly great. I think I posted some of it before but here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mp9bakm

That link has all the art from the book and my god is it incredible.

just some killer work in there

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BiggerBoat posted:

Here, have a palette cleanser because Bernie Wrightson was amazing

What a loving understatement. One of the first comics I got was Batman/Aliens, and he did the art for it and it was amazing. He drew a drat fine xenomorph.

Even earlier I had an Essential Hulk volume that mostly Herb Trimpe, and I like it. As said, he wasn't amazing but he was solid enough, at least until the '90s hit and he Liefelded.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It should be said that those panels were from a tertiary Fantastic Four book drawn by Herb Trimpe, a then-50-something artist who had a staff job but had recently been laid off and was trying to get freelancing work by emulating the hot new styles. Those Fantastic Four Unlimited stories were the last jobs he ever picked up for Marvel. He actually wrote about this for the New York Times.

I'm not saying it's bad art, but it's also not particularly emblematic of anything other than a sad footnote.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

catlord posted:

What a loving understatement. One of the first comics I got was Batman/Aliens, and he did the art for it and it was amazing. He drew a drat fine xenomorph.

What got facehugger'd to make that monster?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MH Knights posted:

What got facehugger'd to make that monster?

Crocodile.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not Liefeld

drat. It's Kevin O'Neill levels of grotesque deformation of the superhero form, but without any of the irony/hatred he put into Marshal Law.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Of all the issues to have with it... my main one has to be...

Why is Reed massaging his knuckles after punching a guy? It should be like he's always wearing boxing gloves, Fantastic Fist deforms to the face and transfers a whammy of kinetic force over an area, perfect for shaking the brain and causing concussions without cracking a bone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah that bothered me too, "ouch punching that random schmoe made my hand hurt"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That werewolf is so british looking you can almost hear him howling "oi!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Alhazred posted:

That werewolf is so british looking you can almost hear him howling "oi!"

Near as I can tell, he's a werewolf detective investigating the murder of a really beautiful woman. I think. I don't loving know but it's a good drawing. Wrightson's line work and use of contrast has always really impressed me.

He doesn't draw LINES around everything first and then ink them in. He uses shadow and light to define mass first and then adds contour where it's needed, usually for lower contrast stuff in the background. The other poo poo he was doing in that Frankenstein book that impresses me so much is using "cross hatching" to actually define shapes. They curve and add dimension instead of just adding lines only to add them like hacks do. Look at his use of thin lines and notice how they curve, vary in weight and define how light hits 3 dimensional objects.

It's kind of like old school engravings and etchings or the line work you might see on U.S. currency.

Almost none of the objects he defines start with "this is a circle", draw a hard line around that shape and then shade it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The art in the new Marvel Alien book is...not so good. Salvador Larroca on ink, Guru eFX on colours.

The Xenos look alright, but it's mostly humans in the first issue and they're generally not pleasant to look at. Looks like colouring might be the main issue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's the Salvador Larocca you get sometimes. When it's a book where he can trace a famous face it's ugly as gently caress. Other times he's fine if nothing special. But god help you if he's on a licensed book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Looks like colouring might be the main issue.

Absolutely. That's the worst digital colouring I've seen since America: Dying of the Light, and that was in 1993 and the first time the artist had ever used the tools.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw the artist and it got a big ol' nope from me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Salvador Larroca

found your problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If I say this on social media a bunch of people concern troll about how I'm discouraging people from learning tools or using references, so I'll say it here: Destroy All Tracers Forever. Nothing kills a book for me like that garbage.