Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I appreciate any adult animated show that isn't ugly to look at. Also having Lake Bell voice act in more things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I would watch a show starring Harley Quinn's Bane.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Just watched the first few episodes of Harley Quinn. This is the most manic show I've ever watched. :psyduck:

It's funny as hell, but it goes a million mph.

I rewatched some Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law today and it’s the only more frenetic show I’ve seen. So much joke density that Flash is a major asset to the ability to just throw stuff at the screen for 11 minutes and see what sticks. Apparently they tried to do the first season traditionally and it was a mess because it needed so many retakes.

Also that Harvey Birdman Attorney General at Law special was pretty good! And I’m looking forward to the new Birdgirl series.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I would watch a show starring Harley Quinn's Bane.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uwdR0LqErVg

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I do love that it's just so transparently a Bane imitation.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Final Space S2 was really, really bad. Worse than S1 somehow.

It was stuffed to the gills with bathos and melodrama and everyone crying 24/7 while at the same time having zero consequences or flow between episodes, and I hated it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I would argue just the opposite, but to each their own I guess. I do like that in the last season opener they directly lampshade how a lot of people found Gary grating.

vvv: well they acknowledge it and then (imo) make him a lot less so in S2. So it makes the joke work instead of being a "ha ha we'll never change" thing.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 21, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I would argue just the opposite, but to each their own I guess. I do like that in the last season opener they directly lampshade how a lot of people found Gary grating.

Yeah, but surely that's not accounting for the problem so much as acknowledging it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Megera posted:

I appreciate any adult animated show that isn't ugly to look at. Also having Lake Bell voice act in more things.

You can tell the animators are huge fans of that terrible blood splatter effect, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

They missed a trick by not having him break the card over his knee.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Watched season 2 of Final Space after I did not really care for season 1. It's way better, since the additional characters improve the team dynamic so much. Ashley Burch is such a great voice actor and having her and Ron Funches in there is a treat.
His character is basically an exct copy of King Shark in Harley Quinn. Trybor is a bit grating, but quite fun.

The overarching plotline feels a bit stupid and overly melodramatic, while it's basically McGuffin collection, but the character interactions makes up for it.

They better don't kill off anyone in season 3.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I watched Season 1 of Final Space and eeeehhhhh. It’s got good animation, and the story has potential, but the pacing was trying to just get through every major plot point ASAP and lacked episodes to breathe and get to know the new characters. Also, Gary is the classic hyperactive rear end in a top hat character that the show really really wants you to care about, but does not make him sympathetic beyond a forced dead parent tragic backstory. And they had opportunities to do this by making his solitary confinement the reason for his eccentricities, but then they show how he got arrested and he’s basically the same person.

I hear season 2 improves upon this, but I don’t know if I want another Disenchantment where I keep watching in the hopes it finally gets its poo poo together.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I appreciate what Final Space is trying to do (and what it's successfully doing i.e. hiring Claudia Black) but I don't think its mix of comedy and pathos works. The characters are idiots, scream-loudly-and-wake-the-monsters idiots, but then it asks us to be emotionally involved in their fight for survival? These characters couldn't survive a can opener, yet they mostly manage to bounce between exploding clouds of shrapnel that turn the rest of the guest cast into sacrificial gore piñatas.

And then out come the fat rolling bubbles of tear goo and I just switch off emotionally.

That said, I get the sense that this season is somewhere they wanted their plot to be at an earlier point in the saga, and I'm keen in seeing what the overall arc for the show seems to be. Its larger constructions -- Earth, Keith David's Titan, Mooncake, the slow decompensation of the Lord High Commander (who seems to be a different species of shark, but possibly from the same race as Ron Funches' character?), the doomed time travel romance between the leads -- all feel compelling in the macro. In the moment, it more miss than hit.

cant cook creole bream posted:

They better don't kill off anyone in season 3.

Claudia Black (Gary's Mum), Jane Lynch (the ship AI) and Ron Funches (Not King Shark) are all gonna end this season super super dead. They scream motivational canon fodder.

Edit: Spoke too soon.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'm definitely in the "Final Space loving slaps" camp. I love Gary and Avocado's borderline heterosexual bromance. I love Gary's surrogate father relationship with Little 'Cado. I love the absurd scale of some of the space battles. I love that in the middle of a genuinely horrifying sequence of lovecraftian horror the show will take time to have an extended sequence where an alien man gives birth to a grown rear end adult like Piccolo from DBZ and then just sort of makes that a new character.

It's great. Final Space is great. Watch Final Space.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I appreciate what Final Space is trying to do (and what it's successfully doing i.e. hiring Claudia Black) but I don't think its mix of comedy and pathos works. The characters are idiots, scream-loudly-and-wake-the-monsters idiots, but then it asks us to be emotionally involved in their fight for survival? These characters couldn't survive a can opener, yet they mostly manage to bounce between exploding clouds of shrapnel that turn the rest of the guest cast into sacrificial gore piñatas.

Hard disagree. I mean it's all subjective but there's a difference between a bunch of bullets missing in a scene for action/comic relief purposes and a ~decision~ not making a difference. The reason FS works so well in my opinion is because while the characters are insane their decisions (even the incredibly stupid ones) are well motivated and always have long term consequences that are meaningful and make sense. Avocado's death for example hit me in the feels very effectively because while Avacado can be incredibly goofy his love for his son was more or less played straight and was never undermined for comedic effect the way it would be in something like Family Guy. As a result when he dies to protect him his choice to do so comes across as sincere and deeply tragic..

But again, this is all subjective. I can see how the wildly disparate tones the show juggles would turn some people off.

Pants Donkey posted:

I watched Season 1 of Final Space and eeeehhhhh. It’s got good animation, and the story has potential, but the pacing was trying to just get through every major plot point ASAP and lacked episodes to breathe and get to know the new characters. Also, Gary is the classic hyperactive rear end in a top hat character that the show really really wants you to care about, but does not make him sympathetic beyond a forced dead parent tragic backstory. And they had opportunities to do this by making his solitary confinement the reason for his eccentricities, but then they show how he got arrested and he’s basically the same person.

I hear season 2 improves upon this, but I don’t know if I want another Disenchantment where I keep watching in the hopes it finally gets its poo poo together.

In addition to being MUCH less screechy in Season 2 Gary also shares screen time with a larger cast which balances things out a lot. If Gary is the main reason you have trouble getting into the show then I'd say keep watching. Plus they also do a really good job giving you other reasons to like him beyond his dead dad (his relationship to Little Cado being the big one).

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 22, 2021

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

I think the Great North is fine when there's literally nothing else, but I noticed all the kids are basically just the Belcher kids again (plus two adult ones) and now I can't un-see it.

There's the weird nerdy daughter, the weird offbeat son, and the unexpectedly dark youngest child who wears some kind of animal costume. Also two others who also have the one personality trait so far of "I don't know, they're kinda weird I guess."

Feels like the show should have been about Honeybee adapting to her new environment in Alaska.

It's all filler till Primal comes back anyway.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Saw a thing about the new Lower Decks season on Facebook. Looks like the first episode is out for streaming from some website or the other.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I like final space like 65% of the time. basically when Tribore or Kvn or Fox aren't on screen, like my god do we need 3 terribly unfunny comedy relief characters on a show with an already MOSTLY unfunny comedy relief MC, and their "bits" just go on and on and on like the family guy bum knee gag. Then you get parts like Ash's sister and we're supposed to feel something then suddenly we're doing a Kvn or Fox or Tribore bit, every time they show up I'm just like holy poo poo go away, show would be so much better without them. sucks too considering I liked Ron Funches' King Shark

I dig the other characters especially the Catos and find it mostly compelling and love the over the top gurren lagann scale it goes to sometimes.

also:

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 24, 2021

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

When Avocato died, I was like there's no way in hell he's not coming back. Surprise, surprise!

Of all the dumb melodrama with no lead in and no pay off, the one that stuck out the most was Lil Cato living a whole life's worth alone (it's very super sad #cry), and then when he comes back they specify that he remembers it all... and yet he continues on being the same character he was before. I'd gotten my hopes up thinking there would be consequences, that this would shake up his relationship with Gary now that Cato was the "older" more mature one. So really I only have myself to blame.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Come And See posted:

When Avocato died, I was like there's no way in hell he's not coming back. Surprise, surprise!

Of all the dumb melodrama with no lead in and no pay off, the one that stuck out the most was Lil Cato living a whole life's worth alone (it's very super sad #cry), and then when he comes back they specify that he remembers it all... and yet he continues on being the same character he was before. I'd gotten my hopes up thinking there would be consequences, that this would shake up his relationship with Gary now that Cato was the "older" more mature one. So really I only have myself to blame.

They always pull that poo poo in sci-fi, can't immediately think of any offhand but I'm sure there's one or more characters on star trek with an extra lifetime of memories that's just never brought up again. Picard does it, but I'm pretty sure they at least had him playing the flute in later episodes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The even more egregious one from Star Trek is O'Brian going through a prison sentence where he's subjected to years of torture in a simulation yet seems perfectly fine most episodes after.

Picard's alternate life experience was at least warm.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Marvin spends eternity parking cars and it only makes him more bitter, but not sure that's an exception

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mokinokaro posted:

The even more egregious one from Star Trek is O'Brian going through a prison sentence where he's subjected to years of torture in a simulation yet seems perfectly fine most episodes after.

Yeah, but that's a slightly tougher than normal Tuesday for O'Brien.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bobby Hill learned the secret of immortality at clown college and after centuries of life experience, his miles potatoes cover story can just roll with anything.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Come And See posted:

Can’t argue on this one. This is a surprisingly common trope in cartoons for some reason (My Life as a Teenage Robot, Sonic X, Star VS, etc) and every single time I see it done it bugs the poo poo out of me for this exact reason. Turning a character from the plucky kid or the comic relief into the voice of wisdom and experience in this way is such a cool idea that I’m shocked literally every writer on the planet has failed to capitalize on it.

Sheldon is now a space pirate with almost a century of experience and a genuine grudge against his former love interest! How in the hell do you look at that setup and say “nah let’s just go back to the status quo”!? :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

readingatwork posted:

Turning a character from the plucky kid or the comic relief into the voice of wisdom and experience in this way is such a cool idea that I’m shocked literally every writer on the planet has failed to capitalize on it.

Third Rock from the Sun had Tommy (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) actually be the oldest of the crew but they fell back on teen tropes all the time because the alien was a horny old man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

readingatwork posted:

Can’t argue on this one. This is a surprisingly common trope in cartoons for some reason (My Life as a Teenage Robot, Sonic X, Star VS, etc) and every single time I see it done it bugs the poo poo out of me for this exact reason. Turning a character from the plucky kid or the comic relief into the voice of wisdom and experience in this way is such a cool idea that I’m shocked literally every writer on the planet has failed to capitalize on it.

Sheldon is now a space pirate with almost a century of experience and a genuine grudge against his former love interest! How in the hell do you look at that setup and say “nah let’s just go back to the status quo”!? :argh:

I really need to watch the rest of that show.

It's mostly an issue when these shows revolve around having a particular status quo for character development, and radically changing a character based on offscreen events wouldn't really work.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Bad news

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1375151994365599745?s=20

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Her?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mokinokaro posted:

The best one is this little quote from Memory Alpha

"Dyson Sphere" posted:

Chief O'Brien is briefly trapped in a Pah-wraith Hell where he is forced to wander the interior of a Dyson sphere for several millennia, unable to understand how the sphere was constructed or learn anything about its creation.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Whelp that’s a full rewatch this month... probably Archer too. She was a treasure

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

drat, that sucks. She was awesome in everything I've seen her in. I have several family members closing in on 80, kind of scary that's the age when people just start going. Every time I see them they have so many more lines on their face.

I rewatched all of Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law recently, What a great show with one of the best voice casts. Now I super excited for Birdgirl.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Data Graham posted:

Marvin spends eternity parking cars and it only makes him more bitter, but not sure that's an exception

What's this a reference to?

Anyway, in Final Space little cado spends several decades in one spaceship mostly hanging out. How much development could a person have in those circumstances? Other than going insane anyway?

If there are any examples of character change through that trope it's probably relegated to novels and such.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mrbotus posted:

What's this a reference to?

The second Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe has the main characters discover that the android from their ship has been kicking around from the 1980s to the literal end of time and during that period he was spent quite a bit of it parking space cars.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Watched the 2nd season of The Solar Opposites. All the episodes are pretty good, feels like if you liked the first season, you'll love the second. The Wall stuff is still the stand out.

About the only thing I found jarring is that there's a running bit from the first season that they dropped like a hot rock in season 2.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Harley Quinn S2: Holy poo poo, they brought back Michael Ironside as Darkseid? :psyduck: This show is loving amazing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Harley Quinn S2: Holy poo poo, they brought back Michael Ironside as Darkseid? :psyduck: This show is loving amazing.

Oh yeah the voice cast is top notch. Batman has the same voice actor as Brave and the Bold too, which is inspired.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Season two of Harley Quinn still isn't available in the UK, either to stream or buy. It's been almost a year, what the actual gently caress are they playing at?

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Birdgirl premiered tonight. It was okay for the most part. Curious to see how things shake out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The pilot was fine.

Harvey Birdman is one of the best [as] shows ever and Birdgirl was one of it's best characters so it's hard not to be disappointed in it for just being fine. I'll give it a season to see how it turns out, which is more than I gave the Great North.

e: OTOH Birdgirl seems like a masterpiece compared to Momma Named Me Sheriff, which came on immediately afterwards. Is that the worst [as] show to run multiple seasons? It's gotta be close

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 5, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mantis42 posted:

The pilot was fine.

Harvey Birdman is one of the best [as] shows ever and Birdgirl was one of it's best characters so it's hard not to be disappointed in it for just being fine. I'll give it a season to see how it turns out, which is more than I gave the Great North.

e: OTOH Birdgirl seems like a masterpiece compared to Momma Named Me Sheriff, which came on immediately afterwards. Is that the worst [as] show to run multiple seasons? It's gotta be close

I was going to mention that Mr. Pickles somehow got 3 seasons, but then I found out Momma Named Me Sheriff is a spin-off of that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

quote:

Disney Television Studios has launched a new division – 20th Television Animation – focused exclusively on adult animation. The unit will have oversight of current series in production like The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob’s Burgers, and American Dad, while developing and producing new animated series. The group says that it has “dozens” of additional projects in development.
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/disney-launches-20th-television-animation-unit-focused-on-adult-animation-203629.html

edit: I hope it's got some non-comedy animation that simply has more mature themes, because the last time I heard Disney humor was
"Maz, what's going on there?" "A union dispute [shoots a bar worker]"

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 5, 2021