Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Spielberg is a sentimental director. It's like the strongest muscle he's flexed throughout his career. At the heart of Jaws is a father trying to protect his family and community from chaotic nature. At the heart of Jurassic Park is two partners who've chosen their career over family realizing that there is a joy to parenting. Etc.

Gilliam is just not sentimental at all. His most sentimental film, I think, is maybe 12 Monkeys, where 99% of humanity is destroyed by a super virus and the main character dies in front of his childhood self and his lover. Maybe Time Bandits or Baron Munchausen are a little more sentimental due to their being family films, but I wouldn't call them sentimental in general.

So him being dismissive of a sentimental film about the Holocaust isn't surprising. He's a huge curmudgeon, and if there's any reason why he's had difficulty financing his films, it's probably because he's a huge pain in the rear end to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'm admittedly a Spielberg fanboy, but my hackles raise whenever a famous director (like Haneke too, right?) goes in on Schindler's List for being too sentimental and telling Steven Spielberg, a Jewish man, he made a Holocaust movie the wrong way.

LesterGroans posted:

Didn't Ellen Barkin call him out as a creep too? Like he tried to grope her in an elevator or something?

I know he said some really gross poo poo when #MeToo first started up, like how sleeping with the producer is just a price actresses had to pay to make it anywhere, and they should just suck it up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

PeterCat posted:

Terry Gilliam makes more interesting films than Spielberg, regardless of anything else.

I don't know that you can really say this because movies aren't just "It's this thing or not. It's good or bad.". These two directors do completely different things. I suppose it depends on in what way you mean "interesting". Gilliam's movies do have that cerebral quality to them that you don't usually find in a Spielberg film. But they're based in fantasy and these bizarre twisted worlds. The emotional core isn't there. Spielberg films aren't just big showpieces. They have a lot to say about our relationships with other people. Family is a reoccurring theme in his work. There's also nothing wrong with showpieces anyway. The spectacle is the main thing that draws people to movies. A spectacular film can grab people's imaginations and shape their lives in some ways. I can tell you that's exactly what happened to me because of things like Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park. I feel like trying to put Gilliam over Spielberg is really shortchanging the latter. And I'm saying this as someone who counts Brazil among their favorite movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Interesting "Filmmakers react to Schindler's List anecdote": Claude Lanzmann famously hated Schindler's List to no end, but I'm only just now finding out he said he enjoyed Inglourious Basterds. I find that fascinating.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I rewatched parts of The Brothers Grimm on TV the other day. Dreadful! I know it's considered one of his worst, but I do think I've outgrown Gilliam. Still, I'll always have respect for the man. He seems like a real prick, but no one ever made movies like he did, and no one ever will!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Interesting "Filmmakers react to Schindler's List anecdote": Claude Lanzmann famously hated Schindler's List to no end, but I'm only just now finding out he said he enjoyed Inglourious Basterds. I find that fascinating.

Maybe because Basterds is openly a fantasy?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Spielberg is a sentimental director. It's like the strongest muscle he's flexed throughout his career. At the heart of Jaws is a father trying to protect his family and community from chaotic nature. At the heart of Jurassic Park is two partners who've chosen their career over family realizing that there is a joy to parenting. Etc.

Gilliam is just not sentimental at all. His most sentimental film, I think, is maybe 12 Monkeys, where 99% of humanity is destroyed by a super virus and the main character dies in front of his childhood self and his lover. Maybe Time Bandits or Baron Munchausen are a little more sentimental due to their being family films, but I wouldn't call them sentimental in general.

So him being dismissive of a sentimental film about the Holocaust isn't surprising. He's a huge curmudgeon, and if there's any reason why he's had difficulty financing his films, it's probably because he's a huge pain in the rear end to work with.

The only Gilliam movie I can think of that deals directly with family and childhood other than Time Bandits is Tideland. I think that's pretty much all that you need to say about Terry Gilliam in this aspect.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

A lot Nazis get rekt and Hitler gets his face shot into pulp. It could be that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

A lot Nazis get rekt and Hitler gets his face shot into pulp. It could be that.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Maybe because Basterds is openly a fantasy?

Yeah the article I found didn't mention a reason but both of these make sense, I guess it just wasn't what I expected.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Basterds is a very, very good movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mentioned this on the last page but Schindler's List in a vacuum isn't as much of an issue as Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List coming out the same year that Spielberg had completely changed the game of blockbuster moviemaking with Jurassic Park. There was a whole different dynamic there that other directors don't have to consider. When other filmmakers go to make a movie about the Holocaust they aren't saddled with the pressure of making the definitive Holocaust movie that will be referenced and studied by generations into the future. But inevitably those ended up being the expectations for Schindler's List, and it's the way the film has been regarded by a lot of people over the past few decades. And it's not that, it fails to live up to that impossibly high standard.

I'm not saying any of that is fair to Spielberg but he certainly was aware of it when he decided to make the movie.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 25, 2021

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CPL593H posted:

So this might be the dumbest hot take I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAKS3rdYTpI

Proving once again that some artists should make their art and shut the gently caress up when they're not.

Ah a classic, lmao

I think we're all agreed that terry gilliam is a shitbag, so it's funny that in context this is probably his least awful opinion

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Smug pricks should get punched imo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

:looks around nervously:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

:birdthunk:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

therattle posted:

:looks around nervously:

:starts running, fist raised:

:gets clothelined mid-run:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It appears that Jessica Walter passed away

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

:starts running, fist raised:

:gets clothelined mid-run:

I planned that. :smug:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

DeimosRising posted:

It appears that Jessica Walter passed away

Aw, she was great

RIP Lucille

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
RIP Jessica Walter. Never again will I confuse you with Holland Taylor.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

RIP Jessica Walter. Never again will I confuse you with Holland Taylor.

Are you sure it's her that died and not Holland Taylor?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Basterds is a very, very good movie.

Its good but at least 30min too long imo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Nah, it really keeps moving. The entire thing is five 30 minute acts, it's lovely.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watching Time After Time and it's a blast. But I kept thinking "I wonder how much Back to the Future was influenced this?" until I realized that Mary Steenburgen is playing the exact same character.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished Lawrence of Ariba for the first time and just wow. The movie was great and I was enthralled the whole time. Thought O'Toole was really good.

The two things that just hit me the most is:
1) Some of the shots of the landscape are just incredible. The actual scale of the desert is just incomprehensible. When Lawrence is shown a few times on a plateau over looking and it's fully zoomed out to just sand or the Arab army in the canyon with the sides just dwarfing them.
2) The actual scale of the cast, extras, props, camels, horses etc is mind boggling of itself.

Next movie to watch is between Rififi, Spartacus and The Third Man

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CelticPredator posted:

👀👀👀👀👀

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

Just finished Lawrence of Ariba for the first time and just wow. The movie was great and I was enthralled the whole time. Thought O'Toole was really good.

1) Some of the shots of the landscape are just incredible. The actual scale of the desert is just incomprehensible. When Lawrence is shown a few times on a plateau over looking and it's fully zoomed out to just sand or the Arab army in the canyon with the sides just dwarfing them.
2) The actual scale of the cast, extras, props, camels, horses etc is mind boggling of itself.

The next movie to watch is Tammy and the T-Rex.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started watching that show Aeon Flux. I heard it blew people's minds when it was on TV in the 90s, so I assumed that the latex lady was gonna imply that she liked to get hosed and there would be an episode where it turned out it was all a dream, because that's all it took to blow people's minds in the 90s. But it actually gets pretty wild. Gross too.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Digital Jedi posted:

Movie police is gonna get you if you watched it on a small screen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

I started watching that show Aeon Flux. I heard it blew people's minds when it was on TV in the 90s, so I assumed that the latex lady was gonna imply that she liked to get hosed and there would be an episode where it turned out it was all a dream, because that's all it took to blow people's minds in the 90s. But it actually gets pretty wild. Gross too.

It's been ages since I watched Aeon Flux and I can't imagine all of it holds up, but there are a couple episodes that are just phenomenal.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

gently caress movies, movies are over, goddamnit

https://twitter.com/TsuburayaGlobal/status/1375281352300371978?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's been ages since I watched Aeon Flux and I can't imagine all of it holds up, but there are a couple episodes that are just phenomenal.

It's been about a decade since I watched it, but I was an adult and it had been another decade or so since I first watched them as a teenager and it holds up well. It helps that the episodes are short and there's very little continuity.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I will say, some of the episodes did make me think "man this would be so wild to people in the 90s who had never seen a anime"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

piratepilates posted:

👀👀👀👀👀

No I’m just a prick

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CPL593H posted:

The next movie to watch is Tammy and the T-Rex.

Paul Walker as T-Rex? Count me the gently caress in. Weird prequel to the FF franchise but okay

married but discreet posted:

Movie police is gonna get you if you watched it on a small screen.

Sadly I only have a 34" widescreen gaming monitor. I can't imagine how amazing it would look on a 60"+ 4k monitor. Maybe one day I can experience it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tammy and the trex is actually based off a true story post FF.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m watching PCU in honor of the late Jessica Walter and I had no idea that Ellis from Die Hard directed this movie and did a commentary track on the dvd and was partially inspired by Scorsese’s After Hours with the prefrosh storyline.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It's been about a decade since I watched it, but I was an adult and it had been another decade or so since I first watched them as a teenager and it holds up well. It helps that the episodes are short and there's very little continuity.

I watched a lot of MTV in the 90s because they had all the crazy poo poo like that and of course Beavis and Butthead. Anyway I was in the 7-9 years old area when they played Aeon Flux. It was super weird and it always freaked me out. It was also confusing a lot of the time because there's kind of a continuity but not really and the titular character died at the end of the episode of a lot times and poo poo was just weird. Anyway in my memory the show will always be a literal fever dream because one time I was pretty sick and of course running a fever. So I was laying in bed and MTV had an Aeon Flux marathon so I was trying to watch that but I kept going in and out of sleep and I couldn't tell which episode ended and began and I was seeing bits and pieces of a whole bunch of them in various states of consciousness. I feel like this is the optimal way to watch the show. Even before that I'm not even sure I ever same a complete episode start to finish. I somehow always managed to see the last few minutes of an episode late at night.

And then of course MTV had Sifl and Olly which is one of my all time favorite TV shows and it still holds up.

Gripweed posted:

I will say, some of the episodes did make me think "man this would be so wild to people in the 90s who had never seen a anime"

In early-mid 90s anime had this whole hip underground vibe to it. Like the only way you could see it is if you had a cool older cousin or something or you'd have to wake up at 6:00am on a Saturday to see an episode of Dragonball. It seemed weird and dangerous because there were cartoons with boobs and swearing. And it wasn't called anime it was referred to as "Japanimation". They use to run this ad on TV constantly for an 800 number you could call to buy a copy of Akira and they made it sound like the craziest movie ever made. The narrator of the commercial was yelling everything and I vividly remember one of the things he said was "THIS MOVIE MAKES BLADE RUNNER LOOK LIKE DISNEYLAND!". I had no idea what that meant but it sure sounded exciting.

And then eventually it became...anime.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

CPL593H posted:

Anyway in my memory the show will always be a literal fever dream because one time I was pretty sick and of course running a fever. So I was laying in bed and MTV had an Aeon Flux marathon so I was trying to watch that but I kept going in and out of sleep and I couldn't tell which episode ended and began and I was seeing bits and pieces of a whole bunch of them in various states of consciousness. I feel like this is the optimal way to watch the show. Even before that I'm not even sure I ever same a complete episode start to finish. I somehow always managed to see the last few minutes of an episode late at night.

I'm holding back on my wisdom teeth surgery for a time in my life when a) I can actually afford it, and b) I could really do with a painkiller/opioid reverie like this, wonderful!

CPL593H posted:

In early-mid 90s anime had this whole hip underground vibe to it. Like the only way you could see it is if you had a cool older cousin or something or you'd have to wake up at 6:00am on a Saturday to see an episode of Dragonball. It seemed weird and dangerous because there were cartoons with boobs and swearing. And it wasn't called anime it was referred to as "Japanimation". They use to run this ad on TV constantly for an 800 number you could call to buy a copy of Akira and they made it sound like the craziest movie ever made. The narrator of the commercial was yelling everything and I vividly remember one of the things he said was "THIS MOVIE MAKES BLADE RUNNER LOOK LIKE DISNEYLAND!". I had no idea what that meant but it sure sounded exciting.

And then eventually it became...anime.

In the UK it had less of an underground vibe to it than it was just generally appropriated by the kind of testosterone-addled 'geezers' who were in their ascendancy at the time. See also Loaded Magazine, TFI Friday and those weirdly hyper-sexualised adverts for games like Gex and stuff.

If you were a spotty teen in 1990s in the UK and also into anime, you would have watched this promo a million times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xGiDAJVqtY

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Just watched the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie for the first time ever(I still have no idea how that happened for a kid born in 1990 to have somehow avoided it till now*, especially since I've remained a Turtles fan pretty much all my life) and honestly I'm amazed at how good it is

*still remember when I was like 8 and found a copy at a swap meet, took it home excited to watch it, only to find that some jackass had taped it over with some exercise program

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, TMNT is loving dope and while it's a movie about people in foam latex turtle costumes it's also a movie about family and finding your place in that family. I had it on tape as a kid and have watched it a million times but going back to it a few years ago with adult friends and we all agreed that it was legitimately good. I also have the Pizza Hut commerical that used to play before the movie on the VHS seared into my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngr3Wp5GGSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Simiain posted:

In the UK it had less of an underground vibe to it than it was just generally appropriated by the kind of testosterone-addled 'geezers' who were in their ascendancy at the time. See also Loaded Magazine, TFI Friday and those weirdly hyper-sexualised adverts for games like Gex and stuff.

If you were a spotty teen in 1990s in the UK and also into anime, you would have watched this promo a million times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xGiDAJVqtY

The 90s was the height of 'edgy' after all, which never really went away but evolved into 'grim and gritty'.