Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I haven't seen the movie either and think she gave a fantastic performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
i haven't listened yet, but i assume lauren was nominated for Wrong Missy. i thought lauren was brilliant in that movie, honestly, she gave it her all and she was the only part that made me laugh. bad movie, great performance.

edit: beaten, but glad to add my voice to the chorus

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

I dunno. I think we're being a bit too kind. I haven't seen the movie but it was David Spade movie and if it weren't Lapkus we'd probably be skewing whoever it was. It was kinda weird hearing people kinda play down how dumb the movie and portrayal was because it was Lauren. It was a gig and good on her for making some money and benefitting from the "Happy Madison" machine but you also have to realize there's a downside. She did what the movie asked her to do and that might not have been a good thing.

I saw the movie. It's low-brow, it's predictable, but it was very funny. All my friends liked it too. It's got a few problematic jokes, but that's kind of it's worst offense. From everything I've heard about the production, Lapkus had a lot of freedom and creative input, had great experiences with cast members she grew up respecting; I can't really think of a better gig for a comedic actor who isn't self-serious. It's certainly one of the funnier movies I've watched just because I liked a comedian in it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
It's a dumb movie but I liked it and thought it was funny. It's something I can recommend to my parents without my dad asking if it's "that Tim & Eric bullshit".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I dunno. I think we're being a bit too kind. I haven't seen the movie but it was David Spade movie and if it weren't Lapkus we'd probably be skewing whoever it was. It was kinda weird hearing people kinda play down how dumb the movie and portrayal was because it was Lauren. It was a gig and good on her for making some money and benefitting from the "Happy Madison" machine but you also have to realize there's a downside. She did what the movie asked her to do and that might not have been a good thing.

I get this for sure, I think it was one of those films that benefitted from knowing Lauren and enjoying her approach to comedy and thus able to appreciate the character she played (while being utterly awful and offputting to most of the audience). Also the timing of when it came out and just wanting *something* dumb to laugh at helped a bunch. I don't have any hatred for Spade either (and thought he came off pretty well in his CBB appearance) and whether I can enjoy or despise a Happy Madison Cast and Crew Vacation movie seems to be a coin toss.

Like, this is the most I'm going to go to to defend this very much "I watched it, laughed a bunch of times, and have no desire to ever see it again" production. In a year where an absolute slew of shelved dross came out, the Razzies shouldn't have a recognizable name on the entire list.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

She was also nominated for Sherlock Holmes I think. But they even said something like it was wrong to nominate Halle Berry for Catwoman. Like maybe it wasn't deserved for Lauren to be nominated, I personally don't watch films that just look as awful as The Wrong Missy so I can't comment, but just lol at them saying it's unfair that A listers are nominated.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

In a year where an absolute slew of shelved dross came out, the Razzies shouldn't have a recognizable name on the entire list.

I mean, I love Lauren Lapkus, but I think to 99% of people, her name is not a recognizable one.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

In a year where an absolute slew of shelved dross came out, the Razzies shouldn't have a recognizable name on the entire list.

The whole point of the Razzies or what they should be doing is punching up not down so they should never have unrecognizable names on there. Famously awful performances like Halle Berry in Catwoman or J Lo in Gigli 100% should be nominated for dross performances. These are celebs who have the world at their feet and have endless money and fame, its good we have the anti Oscars for them which is all about sucking up to overpaid beautiful people.

Lauren shouldn't have been nominated because I'm sure there are a ton of A list celebs that put in absolutely shocking performances but for example if David Spade was awful in that film he should be.

Edit: like ideally though theyre awful you wouldn't nominate The Room or Birdemic for a Razzie which as far as I know we're never nominated. They go after the big budget trash like some lovely Adam Sandler cash in or whatever.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 25, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, I love Lauren Lapkus, but I think to 99% of people, her name is not a recognizable one.

Recognizable name including the film itself, which was on Netflix so it's an easy publicity grab which is what the Razzies thrive on.

The category in full

quote:

Anne Hathaway – The Last Thing He Wanted and The Witches as Elena McMahon and Grand High Witch
Katie Holmes – Brahms: The Boy II and The Secret: Dare to Dream as Liza and Miranda Wells
Kate Hudson – Music as Kazu "Zu" Gamble
Lauren Lapkus – The Wrong Missy as Missy
Anna-Maria Sieklucka – 365 Days as Laura Biel

I'm pretty sure we can safely say these are not the worst 5 performances of what was released last year without even seeing them.

Just Chamber posted:

The whole point of the Razzies or what they should be doing is punching up not down so they should never have unrecognizable names on there.

Fair enough.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Just Chamber posted:

She was also nominated for Sherlock Holmes I think. But they even said something like it was wrong to nominate Halle Berry for Catwoman. Like maybe it wasn't deserved for Lauren to be nominated, I personally don't watch films that just look as awful as The Wrong Missy so I can't comment, but just lol at them saying it's unfair that A listers are nominated.

I mean, the Razzies would be more interesting if they gave awards to something like Coolie No. 1 and On Vacation On Mars and Bobbleheads: The Movie and Ouija Shark instead of stuff like Happy Madison movies or CATS.

edit: I'm not especially against punching up to Anne Hathaway or Halle Berry, but I'm not seeing anything about Disney's Artemis Fowl or the new Grinch musical or other high profile projects from untouchable studios, and a lot of these awards are still often aimed at actresses instead of, like, directors, writers or producers. The execution of the Razzies constantly leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 25, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

There are so many people trashing poo poo like Birdemic or Sharknado we don't need an award show letting us know how awful they are. They're awful, the people who make them know they're awful, they don't have big budgets or high paid actors etc they don't need an award telling them how poo poo their effort was. What we need and what the Razzies are good for is giving Al Pacino a Razzie for his god awful pay cheque cashing "acting" in Jack and Jill for example.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just Chamber posted:

What we need and what the Razzies are good for is giving Al Pacino a Razzie for his god awful pay cheque cashing "acting" in Jack and Jill for example.

I think that one counts even if you include cult, no budget movies.

e: just notice they included the stupid pillow guy 'documentary' in Worst Picture which I now can't decide if it's punching up or down. I think we can all agree Lindell needs to be punched, regardless.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Just Chamber posted:

There are so many people trashing poo poo like Birdemic or Sharknado we don't need an award show letting us know how awful they are.

Why not? You want an award show dunking on celebrities for phoned-in performances because they are successful and have money. They're both dumb concepts for award shows, a format inherent with dumb concepts.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, the Razzies would be more interesting if they gave awards to something like Coolie No. 1 and On Vacation On Mars and Bobbleheads: The Movie and Ouija Shark instead of stuff like Happy Madison movies or CATS.

edit: I'm not especially against punching up to Anne Hathaway or Halle Berry, but I'm not seeing anything about Disney's Artemis Fowl or the new Grinch musical or other high profile projects from untouchable studios, and a lot of these awards are still often aimed at actresses instead of, like, directors, writers or producers. The execution of the Razzies constantly leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

You say they don't go after high profile projects from untouchable studios yet last year Cats from Universal Studios won Worst Screenplay, Worst Supporting Actress, Worst Supporting Actor (James Corden, gently caress that guy), Worst Director and Worst Picture with other big studio films like Dark Pheonix, Godzilla, Hellboy etc nominated so they 100% go for the big pictures. They also have a redeemer award which is nice, so Eddie Murphy won that last year for Dolemite is My Name. Though he 100% deserves a Razzie for Coming 2 America.

Pretty much the dross of the year usually gets nominated at least. Holmes and Watson won 2019 which was godawful and you had Gotti on there and The Happytime Murders also which absolutely deserved the spots.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
be respectful and call them The Raspberry Award, please.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Lauren was nominated not so much because of her performance but because it was a David Spade/Happy Madison movie. It was almost a definite choice from the start for the Razzies. And they're not to be taken seriously. Alls I'm saying is if you tread in that world then this is something to be expected. I'm sure she was great for the part. But also if you don't want to risk a Razzie then don't take the role. If you want a decent paycheck and a few weeks in a a tropical resort then go right ahead. I don't bemoan that at all. But there are consequences. Not that a Razzie is a meaningful consequence at all. The best thing to do is roll with it.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

be respectful and call them The Raspberry Award, please.

The Bronx Cheers
E: Brb working on a solid sitcom pilot.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Why not? You want an award show dunking on celebrities for phoned-in performances because they are successful and have money. They're both dumb concepts for award shows, a format inherent with dumb concepts.

What do you mean why not?

Because the whole concept of the awards is they're a counter to the Oscars, so you nominate those in an industry that is worth Billions because those in that industry could do with a little bit of humility now and then as all they get is praise or poo poo performances are buried under the rug. You could set up your own awards just going after the worst movies made that year that had a budget of $10000 with a director that has never directed before and actors that are starring in their first role sure but again that's punching down and lovely. It's funny to give Al Pacino the worst actor award because he is a fantastic amazing actor, it's funny Glenn Close is nominated this year because she's a legend but she put out a stinker of a performance, same for Robert Downey Junior and his godawful Welsh accent in Doolittle. they'll go off to their mansions and not care, so it's not mean. Some A listers even turn up to collect them in person. But it's not entertaining to give Mr Alan Smith who mostly does commercials the worst actor award for a film on a shoestring budget that aired on Sci Fi.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 25, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honestly I think what I would want out of the Razzies is for them to go after stuff that is taken seriously but isn't good (like to pull a recent-ish embarrassment, Green Book) rather than stuff like Cats or Dolittle that everyone will readily agree is terrible.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Though it is funny and weird that Lauren is joined in the nominee list by Anne Hathaway, Katie Holmes and Kate Hudson. She definitely doesn't belong on there as I've said it's mean spirited to go after someone who barely acts in movies but also in a way its sort of an honor? As they clearly are giving her some celebrity clout. But while those other actresses can just laugh it off as they've done hundreds of movies and won Oscars and the like I can see why it would be demoralising if that's probably your first? (I don't know if she's been lead in other movies) leading role. But while I doubt she expected a Razzie as the poster above me said it's a Happy Madison production, you're not doing that for accolades.

Srice posted:

Honestly I think what I would want out of the Razzies is for them to go after stuff that is taken seriously but isn't good (like to pull a recent-ish embarrassment, Green Book) rather than stuff like Cats or Dolittle that everyone will readily agree is terrible.

Agree with you there not nominating the too obvious things but Cats just HAD to be there I think. I think when a film like that which was made with such earnest, such a budget with such a cast, and those that made it just thought they were making the next big musical film yet they failed THAT badly it just couldn't be ignored. Like I'd call it an abomination put to film.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 25, 2021

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
honestly i doubt anyone is going to remember she ever got a razzie. i mean, i don't watch the oscars or razzies, but every year i know who won the oscars and i don't know who won the razzies, you know?

it stings to her personally, of course, but she will be ok. i do agree that they should be for A list celebs and that that movie was targeted because it was made by happy madison.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Waterbed Wendy posted:

honestly i doubt anyone is going to remember she ever got a razzie. i mean, i don't watch the oscars or razzies, but every year i know who won the oscars and i don't know who won the razzies, you know?

it stings to her personally, of course, but she will be ok. i do agree that they should be for A list celebs and that that movie was targeted because it was made by happy madison.

Yea no one's going to give a poo poo even if she wins. She got good reviews for her performance even from reviews I saw which hated the film. People who follow this stuff might remember when big name celebs win them like a legend like Al Pacino or if its just a legendary awful performance like Jennifer Lopez but Lapkus will be fine.

But back to the original point and to wrap it up from me cause I'm posting too much itt, her nomination excluded, the fact that those three on Threedom were saying essentially the Razzies shouldn't exist because its mean to A Listers like Anne Hathaway is still laughable.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 25, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the razzies are lazy and sexist. its always low hanging fruit and it falls into the same traps, even moreso really, of the award shows its mocking. the whole thing is a nihlist affair that feels like a wasted production because here it could have the chance to say something interesting but instead its "pfft haha paris hilton" again for the 100th time

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Lauren shouldn't have been nominated for what I understand to be a good performance in a bad movie just to stick it to the movie itself, which is why I'm guessing they singled her out. Or maybe she played a genuinely grating person and these idiots couldn't separate performance from character.

That said, Halle Berry attended the Razzies ceremony when she "won" for Catwoman to accept the award in-person and took it all in good humor. (Though Halle was already Hollywood royalty and was holding her Best Actress Oscar in her other hand as she spoke.)

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
Just in: The threedom gang on celebrity
https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=19

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

the razzies are lazy and sexist. its always low hanging fruit and it falls into the same traps, even moreso really, of the award shows its mocking. the whole thing is a nihlist affair that feels like a wasted production because here it could have the chance to say something interesting but instead its "pfft haha paris hilton" again for the 100th time

Wait genuinely curious in what way are they sexist? I mean all of Hollywood is to some degree but why them specifically?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thank you. Seriously I don't understand caring about the Razzies even if they were mean to a funny person I like. More people (or at least more people who have any idea who she is) will probably know about it just because she complained about it on the pod than would have known or cared otherwise.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Just Chamber posted:

Wait genuinely curious in what way are they sexist? I mean all of Hollywood is to some degree but why them specifically?

There are more speficic examples (they nominated someone's breasts for worst on screen couple) but even outside of that if you look at the trend of their nominations its evident. Female led films are easy targets for them and they always latch onto whatever female celebrity every hack comedian is making fun of at the time.

Also whenever the Transformer films got nominated they called the series "Trannies"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Just Chamber posted:

Rolled my eyes at today's Threedom. Lauren Lampkus was upset at being nominated for 2 (lol) Razzies which fine nominating some D list celeb is a bit mean but her and even Scott and PFT were saying how they're unfair to A list celebrities like Anne Hathaway, like heaven forbid we bring some multi multi millionaires down a peg in jest which was the whole point of the awards in the first place.

You didn't listen to what they were saying. They were saying that yes, the original point was to punch up in a lighthearted way but since then they've become more mean spirited and are doing things like including someone like Lauren amongst a bunch of A listers, which isn't really fair to a working actor trying her best, especially when that could have a material negative effect on her career in a way that it likely wouldn't for, say, Glenn Close

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's the Brian Scalabrine episode of the flagrant ones like I don't wanna listen if it's super awkward

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Riptor posted:

You didn't listen to what they were saying. They were saying that yes, the original point was to punch up in a lighthearted way but since then they've become more mean spirited and are doing things like including someone like Lauren amongst a bunch of A listers, which isn't really fair to a working actor trying her best, especially when that could have a material negative effect on her career in a way that it likely wouldn't for, say, Glenn Close

No I did, and I've said I agree that nominating Lauren was mean, and yes Scott said they've been punching down and how they have changed which sure that's true if you look at an odd choice like Lauren, but ultimately it doesnt hold water as you can check the recent winners and nominees have all been major 100+ million dollar movies and A listers (RDJ, Al Pacino, Will Ferrell, Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, Jessie Eisenburg have all won in the last couple of years) and theres only A list actresses in her category, but Lauren specifically seems against it existing: "Even if you are Anne Hathaway, I think that's mean". Like come on, yes nominating you is mean but no sorry, it's not mean to give Al Pacino an award for his godawful acting in Jack and Jill, no one is crying and he 100% doesnt care, it's a bit of fun.

Scott at least calls out how award shows are merely advertisements for millionaires patting themselves on the back so while I dont think he's against the Razzies/ a counter to those award shows when they go for the big names he's obviously against someone like Lauren being nominated.

This is basically every nominee this year in the actor and supporting actor categories, Lauren is the only non A lister/ major name and she's only there because she's in a Happy Madison picture:

Chevy Chase, Rudy Giuliani, Shia LaBeouf, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Robert Downey Jr, Mike Lindell, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Harrison Ford for the men.

Anne Hathaway, Katie Holmes, Kate Hudson, Lauren Lapkus, Glenn Close, Lucy Hale, Maggie Q, Kristen Wiig, Maddie Ziegler for the women.

You take her out then I dont really see at all how they punch down.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Just Chamber posted:

You take her out then I dont really see at all how they punch down.

Snooze Cruise posted:

whenever the Transformer films got nominated they called the series "Trannies"

And they abosutely punch down. I already noted the sexism but the Razzies sure likes to go after black performers as well. These people are of course still celebrities but its pretty clear that the Razzies goes the hardest after what society tends to consider more acceptable targets of mockery.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like you are writing multiple paragraphs defending a something that nominates Tyler Perry for Best Actress for Madea. Its just the most hacky and eye rolling thing.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 25, 2021

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I from now on will never take the Razzies seriously again.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

shocking to find out someone has ever watched or thought about the razzies

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

shocking to find out someone has ever watched or thought about the razzies

Snooze Cruise posted:

Like you are writing multiple paragraphs defending a something that nominates Tyler Perry for Best Actress for Madea. Its just the most hacky and eye rolling thing.

I from now on will never take the Razzies seriously again.

I was three paragraphs into a response before I decided I am not writing any more words to engage someone that is an unironic Razzie stan. And I'm a movie buff. What even is this?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Like you are writing multiple paragraphs defending a thing that nominates Tyler Perry for Best Actress for Madea. Its just the most hacky and eye rolling thing.

Well yea, they're hacky and cheesy, that's kind of the point? It's just some harmless fun unless yes they go after someone like Lauren Lapkus which doesn't seem to be the norm in the last few years of nominees, and i'm going by the last few years of nominees which all seem fine and punching up? So yes maybe they had some sketchy history, that Transformers thing was obviously lovely and I imagine they caught a bunch of flack for that. But when you have "Harrison Ford and that totally fake-looking CGI "dog" – The Call of the Wild" as a nominee I dont think they should be taken seriously but they are fine and harmless existing at least as they seemed to have curbed the type of behavior you seem to be referring to, I dont see them "going after" any black actors/ actresses in the last few years, so perhaps they've grown and like a lot of society also realized it's not good to punch down with your comedy.

Also Tyler Perry's acting deserves every negative award it can get. And any award show that disparages James Corden is good in my book.

Again I'm just saying they should exist because they seem to on the whole target A list celebrities and big studios and ridicule them which is a harmless thing, and often deserved. If you dislike them or think they shouldnt exist because you think they punch down fine but again I see little evidence of that in their current form, and if you dislike them or think they shouldnt exist because their comedy is low brow or hacky etc, then fine, but then scrap any Happy Madison movie, scrap The Wrong Missy because that's all those films are.

Edit: spelling

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 26, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I was three paragraphs into a response before I decided I am not writing any more words to engage someone that is an unironic Razzie stan. And I'm a movie buff. What even is this?

Lmao the thing is I dont watch the Razzies, i've never seen them, never really gave a poo poo about them. 90% of what i've written about them in terms of the nominees etc i only know because I just looked them up. But I also dont see the issue with them (bar some problematic things in their past I guess), it's good to call out the poo poo that Hollywood produces in a harmless award ceremony to counter the sycophantic award shows every year, and the idea that they are "mean" to A list celebrities as said on Threedom is laughable. I will admit I wrote way too much on the subject though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

50 new posts in the earwolf thread, who got canceled?

Ah, the razzies. Nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

50 new posts in the earwolf thread, who got canceled?

jensen karp