Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

vyst posted:

Let me sell you a gently cursed Microsoft Dynamics CRM :barf:

TontoCorazon posted:

Oh gently caress siebel.

My workplace uses both and I used to be a "Siebel Developer", lmao. Trying to force Siebel to do poo poo it wasn't really designed for was GREAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hello. Proposal for any database software designers in the thread:
Make your update functions available to the users responsible for maintaining the database instead of a setup that requires an IT ticket for every update.

Thanks. That's all.

The thread has proven that marketing can’t be trusted with admin rights on the DB server.

Closed: WORKING WONTFIX

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
marketing people shouldnt be allowed to interface with any software whatsoever

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The thread has proven that marketing can’t be trusted with admin rights on the DB server.

Closed: WORKING WONTFIX

A) not marketing, B) I don't even want admin rights. We have a tool for entering and updating entries one at a time. I have access to that and use it 8 hours a day (minus the time I'm on our other database). We have a second tool that can only update but can do multiple at a time, and logs changes made so there's plenty of oversight. I have no access to that one despite working on thousands of entries at a time.
IT even tried to bullshit that requests had to go through another department not in this part of the process, just to keep from having to do their jobs and even authorize an update themselves. (Other department pushed back on that, but still no access for me.)

Also: "basic Excel knowledge required" on the position listing
the person they hired, to me, today (the same one who doesn't understand keyboard shortcuts to copy/paste after being shown them): "how do you select a range of cells"
please tell me how we find these people and how they manage to get paid while so unqualified, I'd love to manage the same :allears:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

flashbacks to the intern we hired to do blog posts that had to be explained what ctrl-c and ctrl-v do and how to use them effectively

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Navision makes me want to die, please god give me salesforce.

Dumb things my work does: Going from an environment with no limitations on admin rights, to every new machine that comes out of our desk having hardcore restricted admin rights, WITHOUT telling the IT helpdesk when it was happening. While the right thing to do for security (my face when I realized they had admin rights at all to begin with was something to behold), it is an ABSOLUTE ROYAL PAIN IN MY rear end because I have to be the one who gets to tell Joe Moron who spilled coke on his keyboard that no he cannot install steam on his work laptop anymore, and no I'm not entering my credentials for you to install it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SkyeAuroline posted:

A) not marketing, B) I don't even want admin rights. We have a tool for entering and updating entries one at a time. I have access to that and use it 8 hours a day (minus the time I'm on our other database). We have a second tool that can only update but can do multiple at a time, and logs changes made so there's plenty of oversight. I have no access to that one despite working on thousands of entries at a time.
IT even tried to bullshit that requests had to go through another department not in this part of the process, just to keep from having to do their jobs and even authorize an update themselves. (Other department pushed back on that, but still no access for me.)

Also: "basic Excel knowledge required" on the position listing
the person they hired, to me, today (the same one who doesn't understand keyboard shortcuts to copy/paste after being shown them): "how do you select a range of cells"
please tell me how we find these people and how they manage to get paid while so unqualified, I'd love to manage the same :allears:

Regarding basic Excel knowledge I remember in the Corporate megathread in BFC someone mentioned it's ultra-common for resumes to claim expertise in Gmail, Word, Excel, etc without a second thought. But for a role really requiring Excel knowledge they'd sit people down and ask them to set up a basic pivot table and many applicants would panic or claim trickery.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hello. Proposal for any database software designers in the thread:
Make your update functions available to the users responsible for maintaining the database instead of a setup that requires an IT ticket for every update.

Thanks. That's all.

One of the first things I did as a software analyst was to create a way for users to dump files on google drive and have them validated and applied to certain tables, safely in the database. :madmax:

vyst posted:

Yeah but on the other hand Salesforce sucks balls in most circumstances

Salesforce lives and dies by your organization's ability to organize and plan. Which makes perfect sense as to why it can become a huge mess, fast. That said, it's a pretty sweet framework from a development perspective but the naming conventions for everything suck balls__c.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Regarding basic Excel knowledge I remember in the Corporate megathread in BFC someone mentioned it's ultra-common for resumes to claim expertise in Gmail, Word, Excel, etc without a second thought. But for a role really requiring Excel knowledge they'd sit people down and ask them to set up a basic pivot table and many applicants would panic or claim trickery.

I'll be honest, I barely ever work with them so it might trip me up a little. Then again, there's a pivot table tool now.
Unfortunately everyone using excel nowadays is using it as shoddy database software, including us in the dumbest possible form.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

thathonkey posted:

marketing people shouldnt be allowed to interface with any software whatsoever

:hmmyes:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I hate marketing people so much. Never has someone so useless had such an inflated sense of self worth. And they treat literally every other department like drooling morons

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm happy when a candidates camera turns on so I'm not about to do a practical on excel skills so I mostly just say the magic words "oh you know pivot charts/macros, can you explain a time you used them" and then they eyes glaze over. I admire the troopers who march on like "oh it was a class so I loaded the test file up, selected the range, and hit insert pivot."

It's a general acumen interview for entry level functional computer touching so you might be surprised to hear the excel question is never the make or break point lol.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

poisonpill posted:

I hate marketing people so much. Never has someone so useless had such an inflated sense of self worth. And they treat literally every other department like drooling morons

The more I lie and gently caress up the bigger my commissions!

Such a stupid incentive model.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

vyst posted:

Yeah but on the other hand Salesforce sucks balls in most circumstances

Much like working at a job and slaving away 40 hours a week

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

blight rhino posted:

I'll also admit to being like that science dork on the Simpsons where he says Good Morning to Homer (or whoever) and Good Afternoon to Marge.
If you say good morning to me at like 1205, i'm going to have thoughts about that. That I'd never bring up, but still. Thoughts.
But, I can be highly regarded.

Former coworker used to say "good morning" no matter the time of day.

He'd pass by me around 2pm, "Good morning!"

I respond with "Good afternoon."

Then he would stop, turn towards me and repeat in a lower voice "Good morning."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Machai posted:

Gonna start doing that to my community partners.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I need to sound off a bit more on the interview script we use to give technical interviews to entry level functional people. I have an inflated opinion of half of it because I wrote it and this is the half that generally makes sure you understand how to look at a business and spit out the processes they use and make sure you aren't a walking technical disaster. If you clear these 2 bars you are a top 1% new grad consultant.

The other half is the ungodly corporatisms like "how you doin in Excel" or me dead rear end asking supply chain management undergrads "what is the Cloud?"

Machai posted:

Wasn't digging this until the turn around and repeat in a lower voice, that guy rules.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I do shift work (front facing) so if I am on morning shift it is always good morning, dayshift always good afternoon, graveyard always good evening.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

zedprime posted:

I need to sound off a bit more on the interview script we use to give technical interviews to entry level functional people. I have an inflated opinion of half of it because I wrote it and this is the half that generally makes sure you understand how to look at a business and spit out the processes they use and make sure you aren't a walking technical disaster. If you clear these 2 bars you are a top 1% new grad consultant.

The other half is the ungodly corporatisms like "how you doin in Excel" or me dead rear end asking supply chain management undergrads "what is the Cloud?"

Wasn't digging this until the turn around and repeat in a lower voice, that guy rules.

"What's the difference between Java and Javascript?"

"Javascript is the scripting version of Java :v:"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

exmachina posted:

graveyard always good evening.

Said in a Vincent Price voice.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Machai posted:

Sounds like my manager with calling every day Monday. I think he and a coworker have had that exact exchange except with days swapped in.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Machai posted:

Psychopath

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

The good news is that it's my company's Xth anniversary today and they're sending me (and all the other employees) pizza. So that's pretty cool.
The bad news is that I don't know what toppings they picked.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Machai posted:

That dude rules, lmao.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Inzombiac posted:

That dude rules, lmao.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

zedprime posted:

asking supply chain management undergrads "what is the Cloud?"

I'm curious what answer you're looking for, because I feel like the simple yet accurate answer of "your stuff on other people's computers" wouldn't go over well for you.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I'm curious what answer you're looking for, because I feel like the simple yet accurate answer of "your stuff on other people's computers" wouldn't go over well for you.

You take a huge rip of your vape and blow a mad big cloud in their face.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Volmarias posted:

that is absolutely the answer i would want

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a pretty good answer. I would also accept "bullshit marketing".

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

We get that cloud poo poo so much, courses on it, part of the induction every new employee gets is a 2 hour presentation on how the company uses cloud computing, even if they are just like, a phone jockey, its fuckin weird and obsessive and pointless.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Volmarias posted:

I don't know about the other interviewers but that answer gets average marks from me.

Full marks is being able to explain the advertising grift.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

my last job sent me an excel aptitude test, which of course means tab out and google what you don't know. so naturally i aced it.

a couple weeks in my boss comes over to ask me to vlookup some data, i said sure, and when he came back because he forgot to tell me something he saw me googling "excel 365 vlookup" and pulled me in another room to scold me since I was supposed to know these things

my "dude it's been a couple years and if you give me 5 minutes with google i'll be fine" amazed him, like people using google to learn tech poo poo they didn't know was some mystical skill passed down throughout the ages

i havent touched quicken in five years but I drat sure put it on my resume. if i get a gotcha question on something i don't know a "i'm not sure but give me five minutes with google and i'll figure it out" usually gets an appreciative nod for honesty

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Critical posted:

my last job sent me an excel aptitude test, which of course means tab out and google what you don't know. so naturally i aced it.

a couple weeks in my boss comes over to ask me to vlookup some data, i said sure, and when he came back because he forgot to tell me something he saw me googling "excel 365 vlookup" and pulled me in another room to scold me since I was supposed to know these things

my "dude it's been a couple years and if you give me 5 minutes with google i'll be fine" amazed him, like people using google to learn tech poo poo they didn't know was some mystical skill passed down throughout the ages

i havent touched quicken in five years but I drat sure put it on my resume. if i get a gotcha question on something i don't know a "i'm not sure but give me five minutes with google and i'll figure it out" usually gets an appreciative nod for honesty

Yeah this was always a very well received response when I was interviewing people. Absolutely no one expects you to retain so much information considering how many different technologies / frameworks / etc your average engineer needs to know, so as long as you know enough to know what questions to ask Google, that's good enough for me

e. The opposite type of people are a very bad sign, the type who will get hung up for a week on something that could be solved with that 5 mins of googling or asking the person next to you. I understand this though, too well. There are really bad office environments where that would be seen as a sign of weakness / ignorance and held against you, and I can see why people would react that way. I try to give hints during the interview that we aren't that way, that the leads interviewing you right now spend a lot of time looking stuff up too. We're not omnipotent and don't expect our candidates to be, either!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have another question that I genuinely like, it's basically how do you write about or do something completely new to you. Basically looking at how you research stuff. Answering about well tread bullshit is a valid answer, and some of the techier applicants know that and explain how you google random rear end tech poo poo and get a good answer and that's full marks. If you're dancing around googling poo poo but fully put out the subtext that you google poo poo that's average marks. "Does killer rear end research in technical things cause I did real supply chain work or post grad research at some point" is also average marks because you generally figure out how to google real fast. "Ask other people" unlike maybe other social jobs is low marks because if you ask people bullshit that is the worst sort of dead weight in consulting.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

zedprime posted:

I have another question that I genuinely like, it's basically how do you write about or do something completely new to you. Basically looking at how you research stuff. Answering about well tread bullshit is a valid answer, and some of the techier applicants know that and explain how you google random rear end tech poo poo and get a good answer and that's full marks. If you're dancing around googling poo poo but fully put out the subtext that you google poo poo that's average marks. "Does killer rear end research in technical things cause I did real supply chain work or post grad research at some point" is also average marks because you generally figure out how to google real fast. "Ask other people" unlike maybe other social jobs is low marks because if you ask people bullshit that is the worst sort of dead weight in consulting.

Yeah absolutely. That's a great question and one I really like people answering that way. It's interesting to see peoples' thought processes and how they approach new things, but "I'd google it" or leverage various training systems (pluralsight, etc) is 5 stars to me.

When it's in house stuff, then "track down documentation, as well as meet the SME and key stakeholders and get familiar with them" is good too, depending on the system.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
If you want your mind to touch the void read the wiki article on on 90's version of The Cloud, Enterprise Software

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Enterprise software, also known as enterprise application software (EAS), is computer software used to satisfy the needs of an organization rather than individual users.

lmao

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
For when the needs of the enterprise outweigh the needs of the few, or of the one.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Let me sell you a gently cursed Microsoft Dynamics CRM :barf:

Dynamics CRM is honestly the worst product I've ever worked with. It's probably fine for like just being a simple CRM but every usage of it I've seen was a high customized hack job trying to be this much much more complex system than it could reasonably handle. Combine that with typical corporate whiplash and poor decision making and I just hate it. Also one of the places we had a seemingly nonsense issue and when it got escalated up the chain high enough we were essentially told that it suffers some kind of weird code decay in customized solutions where it can essentially break itself.

I just hate it. Worst part is that most other developers also hate working with it, so it can actually pay really good in some places, but I'd have to hate myself to ever work with it again on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Critical posted:

VLOOKUP is a prime example because as-implemented it's quite quirky and you're probably going to get a couple of weird results until you google it and re-familiarise yourself with its edge cases.