Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

perfect thanks!

Saw a SAC Behemoth killed one of my traders, got mad and went with a Dragon, Cobra and a Boa filled with marines. Disabling the Behemoth was easy enough but it wouldnt stop making GBS threads out laser towers but finally managed to board and capture it. The mental image of those derpy dinosaurs going high speed low drag corridor to corridor boarding a ship was worth it. So now what do i do with this big ship? Is there any use to the fact that this ship has 4 S docking bays and space for 40 S class ships in its hold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Fix it up and give it a default order to patrol or protect near your assets. You can always order it to your location for a tough mission or tough target in a pinch.

Personally flying a destroyer is also rewarding. You can also take on most individual threats in the game, particularly if you amp it up with mods. The main guns are very powerful, very accurate, and very long ranged. I usually prefer not to fly destroyers just cuz i find them a bit *too* strong in player hands.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So fun fact. If you delete a dock module while still docked at it you get a game over. Never knew that.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
One time in the station designer start I accidentally deleted the wrong station and got to watch the room I was standing in literally dissolve around me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm trying to board an enemy vessel, why can I never start the operation? It has no engines, shields, or turrets left, and I have more strength than it has defense.

Is it just impossible to steal the scale plate transport they steal from Hatikvah in the plot?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah that one is marked unboardable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well at least I learned how to do it lol

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Do I need to by all the modules out there to make the most use of the Wharf? Or can I just buy the good ones? I really don't want to clutter up the build screen.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Travic posted:

Do I need to by all the modules out there to make the most use of the Wharf? Or can I just buy the good ones? I really don't want to clutter up the build screen.

Despite what I said earlier in the thread, you don't actually need to own the blueprints for the AI factions to buy them from you. Station managers don't know what they're doing without blueprints though, but owning 1 of each type of thing is enough (1 missile, 1 drone.. etc). But it looks like strictly speaking just having the resources in stock is all you need.

Edit: Pretty sure you still need the specific chassis blueprints though. At least for me all that's getting built is split which I own all of. But they are getting wrecked by Xenon + Argon so they are also the only ones which need ships, so who knows.

sloppy portmanteau fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 26, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Despite what I said earlier in the thread, you don't actually need to own the blueprints for the AI factions to buy them from you. Station managers don't know what they're doing without blueprints though, but owning 1 of each type of thing is enough (1 missile, 1 drone.. etc). But it looks like strictly speaking just having the resources in stock is all you need.

Edit: Pretty sure you still need the specific chassis blueprints though. At least for me all that's getting built is split which I own all of. But they are getting wrecked by Xenon + Argon so they are also the only ones which need ships, so who knows.

Ok. I have a mishmash of Argon engines and turrets, Teladi shields, and all the Small and Medium ships except for Split. I was afraid I might be losing some sales because I didn't have say...Teladi engines or Paranid Turrets.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How close to a data leak to you have to be to scan it with your suit? because I was literally bumping off the station for these last two and it didn't scan.

EDIT: oh I need to be rubbing my face on the weird red ball, which I guess I can't if it's decided to spawn inside the station geometry. Is there a mod to increase the range at which your suit scans data leaks?

edit: the xenon just started building a defense platform in hatikvah's choice 1. And I don't think my single heavy fighter can clear them out here. :ohdear: They brought a K which ahs the biggest ship icon of any ship i've seen so far.

edit again: oh no here comes a second K

... are Ks supposed to be invincible? they occasionally take 1% shield damage and then heal it right back up nearly instantly.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 26, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the Proton Barrage weapon worth using over the TER pulses? I don't think I've seen anything use it yet

Zereth posted:

How close to a data leak to you have to be to scan it with your suit? because I was literally bumping off the station for these last two and it didn't scan.

EDIT: oh I need to be rubbing my face on the weird red ball, which I guess I can't if it's decided to spawn inside the station geometry. Is there a mod to increase the range at which your suit scans data leaks?

edit: the xenon just started building a defense platform in hatikvah's choice 1. And I don't think my single heavy fighter can clear them out here. :ohdear: They brought a K which ahs the biggest ship icon of any ship i've seen so far.

edit again: oh no here comes a second K

... are Ks supposed to be invincible? they occasionally take 1% shield damage and then heal it right back up nearly instantly.

The K's a destroyer, you're not killing one with your fighter

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Zereth posted:

Please post your first I sighting. :allears:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Patch notes posted:

Version: 4.00 Hotfix 2 Beta 1 (433914) - 2021-03-24

Fixed certain ship models not being claimable in person.
Fixed population information from terraforming getting lost when loading savegame.
Fixed missing description for Sealed Vacuum Tubes.

Fixed Terran Fleet Delivery Missions requesting impossible ship setup.
Fixed Defenders of Sol mission getting stuck on Approach: Erratic Miner objective under specific circumstances.
Fixed Final Debrief mission issues with mission relevant characters potentially dying too soon.
Fixed War of Intervention mission guidance breaking under specific circumstances.
Fixed End of Terrorism objective pointing to station instead of signal leaks.
Fixed various issues in Covert Operations mission.
Fixed War of Intervention mission not containing reward.
Fixed A Pirate's Trail mission getting stuck if enemy ships are defeated before player arrives.
Fixed data leaks sometimes spawning in centre of station during Pioneer gamestart mission.
Fixed target ship in Mutually Assured Destruction mission staying invincible after getting attacked by player.
Fixed Astronauts, Champions, Truth Seekers mission getting stuck if hidden ship is captured before objective is set.
Fixed objective guidance sometimes not appearing for The Meeting mission.
Fixed player getting stuck inside Silverback during Defenders of Sol mission.
Fixed Operation Hyena not progressing when player already owns station in specified Argon space.
Fixed Wartime Economics mission getting stuck in Savage Spur II under specific circumstances.
Fixed cases of Second Assistant mission getting stuck when placing Nav Beacons in hazardous region.
Fixed story getting stuck when escaping out of conversations with Rick Feynman during Double Assistant mission.
Fixed What is Best in Life achievement not being unlocked for players who completed Make War not Peace mission during beta.

Fixed sector trade offer graph in Encyclopedia showing Sell instead of Buy for buy offers in mouse-over texts.
Fixed broken shopping list in Ship Configuration menu after returning from Encyclopedia.
Fixed broken mouse picking on Map after setting trade ware filter.
Fixed Energy Cell production module efficiency claiming sunlight effect as workforce.
Fixed ships of wrong size offered when requesting ships at ship consoles.
Fixed covered ships not showing up in Undock menu.
Fixed Crew Transfer menu for player-owned shipyards.
Fixed dropdown selections appearing to reset to initial value after scrolling.

Fixed main weapon on Asgard being destroyed.
Fixed Terran medium turrets vanishing when destroyed.

Fixed freeze when using Go To Ship on ship belonging to another faction that is docked at object also belonging to another faction.
Fixed freeze when doing Long Range Scan near extremely complex station.
Fixed several causes of crashes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I found an Osprey Vanguard floating in space so I stuck some turrets on it and some big looking guns on the front and sailed into a xenon sector and picked a fight with a destroyer.

I think I did 3% shield damage and then I got absolutely wrecked, lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Demiurge4 posted:

I found an Osprey Vanguard floating in space so I stuck some turrets on it and some big looking guns on the front and sailed into a xenon sector and picked a fight with a destroyer.

I think I did 3% shield damage and then I got absolutely wrecked, lol.

I put the game down at launch because you could take on those destroyers with that exact ship by hugging between the turrets and opening fire and there was no reason for me to have anything else if I was clever as a result. Can't do that anymore (usually) though!

I'm 15-20 hours in (the game can't decide lol) and still just adding minor upgrades to my HQ, about a million or two an hour passive income so not too shabby, stealing blueprints to start to actually rake in the big bucks while I do the Split campaign. Lol at the HAT one ending with "and then the pact owned us because we disrespected the godfather" though. It's also nice that mining raises rep passively, I'm at +6 to a Paranid faction already so I can kick that in later, then I have three more later after the second Terran one triggers it seems. I did blow my wad of cash on the Katana and it's great except for its giant fat rear end taking forever to turn lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Please post your first I sighting. :allears:

VRO adds a U, which is literally just the deca mothership lol.

Fair near shat meself when I saw it.

Fortunately that one seemed to have bugged out its fighters and it does have blind spots on its death ray emitters. I got 10 rep and 200k for landing the killing shot.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 26, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It also adds in stuff like the Totally Not A Battlestar Arawn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taerkar posted:

It also adds in stuff like the Totally Not A Battlestar Arawn.

I think that's actually the X rebirth ships mod which can be compatible with VRO.

VRO adds the argon titan though :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ah yeah, that's right. Forgot which added which. Also the SVE mod is really nice as well. I've been using the Basilisk from it to help the Teladi hold Ianamus Zura.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 26, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is there a reason to get L freighters? Seems like the speed is a huge negative compared to it's cargo size.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, I've got some basic production module blueprints now, although refined metal keeps eluding me. Should I set up near the player HQ, or like, off by the big highway loop?

EDIT: or I suppose build on the player HQ itself but it seems awkward building around the big circle part.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 26, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

Is there a reason to get L freighters? Seems like the speed is a huge negative compared to it's cargo size.

Not really. Same with the L miners as they fill up then have trouble selling due to not being able to dock with half the stations.

Like maybe one L for HQ materials or something but not for normal trading

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What do I need to make it so L ships can dock at my stations? I've got a basic dock and a weird T-shaped thing, is the latter suitable?

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Zereth posted:

What do I need to make it so L ships can dock at my stations? I've got a basic dock and a weird T-shaped thing, is the latter suitable?

The weird T-shaped thing. I like to use the slightly less weird E-shaped thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh hey, when I was travelling through I noticed a bunch of stations near the paranid/other paranid border were dead, maybe I should build there. On the big loop, not very far from the player HQ (which I'm assuming is always in the same place?), and there's a hole in the ecnomy there now.

Speaking of which, is it worth trying to be friendly with the Other Paranids and the Argon/Paranids at the same time? So I can just sit back and watch this kind of thing happen and then build stations to fill in the holes left behind?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 26, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

^^ as a profitsss seeking parasite, what does your heart tell you:homebrew: one of the plot quest is just expanding that he'll war for you to make money off of.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nice. Is there a way to trick factions into destroying other factions' stations without getting the victim faction mad at me? Like, specific ones.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mokinokaro posted:

Not really. Same with the L miners as they fill up then have trouble selling due to not being able to dock with half the stations.

Like maybe one L for HQ materials or something but not for normal trading

Pretty much every NPC station should have a L/XL dock. It's the first thing they build from what I've seen.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah the VRO xenon U is massive and insane. it doesnt spawn before ~60 hours in and only one can be active at a time.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I came across a K in Argon Prime that was the last survivor of a Xenon incursion. For whatever reason the Argons didn't have enough local to kill it, but they had enough light craft to cripple the thing so it was stuck above the highway with no engines, almost no weapons, and rapidly disappearing shield modules. I got in on the kill with my Nemesis, but it had me wondering if I could have boarded it if I had something in range.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think xenon are just unboardable but I admit I have not ever actually tried.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've never boarded anything before so I had no idea, but it did show me the boarding dialogue, though it said the final stage was impossible (I only had one marine on the Nemesis).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Speaking of boarding are there any factions it's safe to piss off? Like the ones which area already deep red for me, can I just (try to) steal their ships fine?

Not sure I want to piss off SCA or anything, the fastest way to get to the main highway from my HQ passes by some stations of theirs.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

SCA is locked at -5 so feel free to raid them forever

FAF is not though, theyll get mad

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

gently caress this colored switch mission. At least have a reset option to get to the default order.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

queeb posted:

SCA is locked at -5 so feel free to raid them forever

FAF is not though, theyll get mad
So how do I get readouts on like, boarding strength so I know if I've got a decent shot at taking one?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Scan the ship first.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

With... Purple or Blue scan mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Purple? The "regular" scan mode, Shift+2. Just get within about 1 km of the ship and keep it centered on screen.