Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Can you not just download ME1 save files?

Also screw Conrad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Have they said if they're fixing the ME2 Conrad Verner bug?

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Some Goon posted:

Can you not just download ME1 save files?

Maybe?

I'm looking for solutions. With Quest for Glory I'd do some quick save editing but those games were simpler and I know them better too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VinylonUnderground posted:

Maybe?

I'm looking for solutions. With Quest for Glory I'd do some quick save editing but those games were simpler and I know them better too.

i know this is off-topic but i'm actually interested to read about QfG save editing

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Thank you, this is very helpful!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know this is off-topic but i'm actually interested to read about QfG save editing

I may have oversold the "I" portion -- a friend of mine was big into early hacking/programming stuff. Anyway, long story long, they use a modified version of C. I'd have him modify it because I am a leech :)

http://sciprogramming.com/ has all the info.

http://scicompanion.com/Documentation/index.html explains things in a nice organized way I can follow.

http://helmet.kafuka.org/sci/original/AGDS.pdf is very "programmer-y" and may be of interest to you.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
That one time the Badass space assassin man Kai Leng snuck into Andersons house and ate his cereal just to feel good about himself

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They don’t call him the cereal killer for nothing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
"I'm just marking my territory by stealing the toy out of their Cap'n Crunch, mwahahahahahaha, mine are evil shades"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I never played this. The only thing I know about it is that everybody wears a metal outfit and most aliens never invented shoes.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Animal-Mother posted:

I never played this. The only thing I know about it is that everybody wears a metal outfit and most aliens never invented shoes.

You got the gist of it

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Animal-Mother posted:

You don’t need to play it. You’ve already experienced it

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Cephalopod Has Passed a Cognitive Test Designed For Human Children

quote:

Cuttlefish have been put to a new version of the marshmallow test, and the results appear to demonstrate that there's more going on in their strange little brains than we knew.

Their ability to learn and adapt, the researchers said, could have evolved to give cuttlefish an edge in the cutthroat eat-or-be-eaten marine world they live in.

The marshmallow test, or Stanford marshmallow experiment, is pretty straightforward. A child is placed in a room with a marshmallow. They are told if they can manage not to eat the marshmallow for 15 minutes, they'll get a second marshmallow, and be allowed to eat both.

This ability to delay gratification demonstrates cognitive abilities such as future planning, and it was originally conducted to study how human cognition develops; specifically, at what age a human is smart enough to delay gratification if it means a better outcome later.

Last year, cuttlefish also passed a version of the marshmallow test. Scientists showed that common cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis) can refrain from eating a meal of crab meat in the morning once they have learnt dinner will be something they like much better - shrimp.

In the test condition, the prawn was placed behind the open door, while the live shrimp was only accessible after a delay. If the cuttlefish went for the prawn, the shrimp was immediately removed.

Meanwhile, in the control group, the shrimp remained inaccessible behind the square-symbol door that wouldn't open.

The researchers found that all of the cuttlefish in the test condition decided to wait for their preferred food (the live shrimp), but didn't bother to do so in the control group, where they couldn't access it.

"Cuttlefish in the present study were all able to wait for the better reward and tolerated delays for up to 50-130 seconds, which is comparable to what we see in large-brained vertebrates such as chimpanzees, crows and parrots," Schnell said.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cuttlefish are incredibly cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-DusaSVHmM

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thats one of those "if i was bezos rich" id have wall tank with cuttlefish. that and massive reptile/frog room and the exterior would be a second empire.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Defiance Industries posted:

You know what sucked worse than all of that?

ME: Andromeda.

Because they went to an entirely new galaxy and everything was still exactly the same. All the technology was the same, but there was one new kind of alien who was indistinguishable from the face aliens of ME. It wasn't just bad design, it was outright loving cowardice.

The legendary edition announcement made me finally commit to the series replay I'd been thinking of doing for years. I have in the last two days reached Andromeda, the only one in the series I never finished. I remembered, and have once again been disappointed by, so many blatant copy-paste jobs. But you know what, out of all of them, I had genuinely forgotten?

They made their own N7 armor and named it C8.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Plus a dude goes all stolen valor on you if you wear actual N7 armor in the game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Plus a dude goes all stolen valor on you if you wear actual N7 armor in the game.

This is why I appreciate that there’s a mod out there that turns it from black and red to white and blue and swaps the N7 badge out for an Andromeda Initiative logo.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I think ME's "big bad" problem was the moment Sovereign spent too much time talking to the player. It's not all bad, but there's a lot of forced literary grandstanding. I mean yeah, it's meant to be a bit pulpy, but listening to the scene again... it needed another writing pass.

I think turning the tables on the player, and instead having Sovereign be the one to ask the questions about why and where, could play both to both needs of the moment, by letting the player define intentions, and showing Sovereign's dangerous nature by the ease of learning about Shepard in a few moments, calculating a conclusion within reasonable margins of error, and abruptly ending with a somewhat casual but ill-intentioned "Stay where you are."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Shepard: What are you?

Sovereign: We are the harbingers of your destruction.

*transmission ends, windows shatter from sonic boom*

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Fighting against something that is incrompehensible and alien can work.

The moment they tell you in plain english that they are "beyond your comprehension", they have failed at being that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that's basically the core conceit of the genre that Bioware made its name in. Dialogue-tree heavy western RPGs where you can end up having a long conversation with anyone where they go through their own ideas and perspectives. The conversation with Sovereign is fraught with hints and implications, and you have similar confrontations in both Kotors, Deus Ex, and the Fallout games. Having long expository conversations with people is just part of the experience of the game that's supposed to be enjoyable, and leading up to that point in the game you have plenty of opportunities to have the same kinds of long talks. Although there should usually be the option to cut through conversations for jumping to shooting, because part of what's fun about that is having the choice to dive deep into things or to just coast over the surface.

Maybe it could've given the story higher action stakes or more horror mystery to leave out the expository conversations, but then the game would also be a different genre. Honestly even though the final idea of the Reapers that they settled on in ME3 wasn't compelling to me, the idea of the Reapers as a sentient force with reasoning and purpose was still more compelling to me than like a giant natural disaster or some kind of unthinking horde like the Darkspawn in Dragon Age.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

Fighting against something that is incrompehensible and alien can work.

The moment they tell you in plain english that they are "beyond your comprehension", they have failed at being that.

I still feel like the Shivans from Freespace are one of the best examples of this actually working. You never get any inkling of why they're trying to exterminate you, only that whenever you successfully counter them they respond with even more overwhelming force. And when a group does try to decipher their language and communicate, the Shivans up and disappear the lot of them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'll always remember the talk with Harbinger in ME1 as being a huge letdown because if you're willing to talk to me, you aren't unknowable and talking to me has to provide some value to you and its really early in a trilogy to flip that revelation over.

It also bugs me because the narrative of "flesh+machine" was there in both game 1 and 2 (1 literally forces you to look at pictures of a motherboard with fleshy blobs on it multiple times) but the way that plotline was developed and handled was just astonishingly bad.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the reapers are the ur-quan. completely pitiless, driven to domination and extermination, but compelled to talk to the people they're eliminating and explain why it's necessary, in the hope that maybe you'll just roll over and submit without a fuss if they throw enough FACTS and REASON at you. they want the result, not the process. the ur-quan themselves straddle the line between creepily unknowable and dreadfully understandable in a very satisfying way.

where this falls down for the reapers is not that they are talking, but that, given the decision to have them talk, they don't talk quite enough. they're in an uncanny valley between the shivans and the ur-quan that just doesn't work. the talk with sovereign in ME1 was really good as a teaser, and you should have had a similar conversation with harbinger but much more detailed in ME2, instead of him just yelling about assuming control or whatever. the motivations and background of the reapers should have been crystal-clear going into ME3 so that it could focus on the war itself. this is just another result of the revolving door that was the writing department for these games, with none of the writers giving a single poo poo about anything but the surface details of what had already been written

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 26, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, much as I love ME2, it is also pivoting genres more towards action, which is part of why the games' tones don't match.

I think Homeworld Cataclysm is another good example of a final villain monologue working, because when the Beast starts talking, it's really written so that it only vaguely respects the idea of other thinking beings existing, and plausibly it may not even be properly sentient and self-aware on its own, it could've just absorbed enough parts to use as just another tool. It also sure helps that it's got one hell of a vocal effect.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Jazerus posted:

the reapers are the ur-quan. completely pitiless, driven to domination and extermination, but compelled to talk to the people they're eliminating and explain why it's necessary, in the hope that maybe you'll just roll over and submit without a fuss if they throw enough FACTS and REASON at you. they want the result, not the process. the ur-quan themselves straddle the line between creepily unknowable and dreadfully understandable in a very satisfying way.

where this falls down for the reapers is not that they are talking, but that, given the decision to have them talk, they don't talk quite enough. they're in an uncanny valley between the shivans and the ur-quan that just doesn't work. the talk with sovereign in ME1 was really good as a teaser, and you should have had a similar conversation with harbinger but much more detailed in ME2, instead of him just yelling about assuming control or whatever. the motivations and background of the reapers should have been crystal-clear going into ME3 so that it could focus on the war itself. this is just another result of the revolving door that was the writing department for these games, with none of the writers giving a single poo poo about anything but the surface details of what had already been written

So you're saying the Reapers are the "Ben Shapiros" of villains...?

Especially since their plan for ending the galaxy comes up a little short...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That and their stopped by beings who are extremely wet.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
With a lover in every port and a gun in every tentacle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Enkindle THIS!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
On the higher/highest difficulty settings, Harbinger actually gives a bunch of clues as to what the Reapers want before the finale. Not that it's tied to difficulty per-se, but given you basically insta-gib the puppet on normal difficulties you just never have time to hear it. On Insanity difficulty, it has more time to taunt you a bunch and makes comments about the races you have in your party.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

They don’t call him the cereal killer for nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-9uq_lyRQ

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Nevermind, wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

I came here to laugh at you

In 2177, they voted Ilium the worst place to live in the Terminus *silly guitar plays*

Seriously though the more I look back at the old games the more I think the costume design got seriously off-point. Jack? Samara??? And what is with those weird shrink wrap science suits?