Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pui Pui Molcar is now on Netflix, everyone please go watch it, it's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This was probably the only part I really enjoyed about the series, and it was a bitter sort of enjoyment. Same sort of sick-to-my-stomach fascination as the movie High Rise, condensed.

nate fisher posted:

Space Force is so blah and below Avenue 5.
I struggled through A5, but I couldn't even finish the trailer to Space Force.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Jessica Walter has passed away at 80 in her sleep. She played Lucille Bluth on Arrested Development, and Mallory Archer on Archer. She was a legend.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Nihonniboku posted:

Jessica Walter has passed away at 80 in her sleep. She played Lucille Bluth on Arrested Development, and Mallory Archer on Archer. She was a legend.

I don't understand the reference, and I won't respond to it.

:cry:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

doctorfrog posted:

This was probably the only part I really enjoyed about the series, and it was a bitter sort of enjoyment. Same sort of sick-to-my-stomach fascination as the movie High Rise, condensed.

Totally agreed. Most memorable, meaningful, and funny moment in an otherwise blah series.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol there is a new cartoon on Netflix based on the video game Dota (or well, Dota 2, but same thing). It is very reminiscent of the Castlevania cartoon based on the first episode, but it's just... so odd to me that this exists. As a recovered Dota addict I have to watch it, and if you liked Castlevania you may find it interesting.

For those who have never heard of it, Dota 2 is an online competitive game with notoriously some of the most bitter, toxic communication between hateful rivals and teammates alike. There are a ton of characters, most very directly ripped off blatantly from the Warcraft universe (the original game was actually a custom Warcraft map), and while there were plenty of lore blurbs and stuff I'm guessing 90% of the players have zero interest in the worldbuilding aspect of it. I just find it so goofy that they made this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wait until they make an anime based on DOTA clone Mobile Legends. I don't know what lore would bring together an orc, a Transformers cop, a cyborg soccer player, and an immortal wizard owl together. (League of Legends just handwaved everything with time travel, I guess)

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Most importantly the mom on Dinosaurs.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

a sexual elk posted:

All of her roles were important

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Harriet was better than I expected and would recommend, only on hbo for a few more days however

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

a sexual elk posted:

I'm still waiting for the culture to come around on Dinosaurs. I'd imagine sometime this decade.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, I saw that some of the earlier Mad Max movies are on HBO Max, and I started to watch the second one. About 10 minutes in I realized that George Miller was just doing the same thing in Fury Road as he was in 1981, and I'd rather be watching Fury Road because Fury Road is one of the best movies of all time. So I turned off Mad Max 2 and here I am watching Fury Road for the 40th time.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm still waiting for the culture to come around on Dinosaurs. I'd imagine sometime this decade.

Environmentalist megabummer of a series finale should do it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm not sure that sold the series like you thought it would.
I mean that for the people who watched an episode or two and dropped the series, that scene is all they need of the rest of it.

Honestly feels like that's the whole point of it really, it's just far too prescient to actually be funny.

Nihonniboku posted:

So, I saw that some of the earlier Mad Max movies are on HBO Max, and I started to watch the second one. About 10 minutes in I realized that George Miller was just doing the same thing in Fury Road as he was in 1981, and I'd rather be watching Fury Road because Fury Road is one of the best movies of all time. So I turned off Mad Max 2 and here I am watching Fury Road for the 40th time.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 26, 2021

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Beverley Hills Cop, and I'd forgotten how fun that movie is. Eddie Murphy is just so dang charming. I don't remember if I've seen the sequels. Are they still pretty good?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, Fury Road is definitely similar to The Road Warrior, although they're both very good. If I recall correctly, the first and third movies are a bit different. The first one is low budget and takes place in a sort of slow-descent-into-the-post-apocalypse setting. The third one gets panned for being a little too much Hollywood, but at least presents a different story structure.

If you want a different sort of Dystopian future, maybe check out Escape from New York, which is also on HBO Max (and stars the ever-rad Snake Plissken).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kinda related: the Mad Max game that tied-in with Fury Road is now $5 on gog.com

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Kinda related: the Mad Max game that tied-in with Fury Road is now $5 on gog.com

It's way better than it should be too, more than worth a play if you're a TV computer video gamer

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nihonniboku posted:

Have you seen Alita? It's not a typical recommendation most people would give for someone looking to scratch the Mad Mad Fury Road itch, but I personally feel like the films are complementary. It shares similar themes with Fury Road, and is also propped up by a really strong performance from its non-traditional protagonist and really clean action design; though the action in Alita is a fair bit heavier on the CG by comparison (lots of cyborg-on-cyborg violence).

The movie is unabashedly anime, lifting narrative beats and imagery straight from the manga; deffo gives 90s anime vibes 100%, which is part of its charm imo. Alita also veers a little into "YA" territory with with its romance subplot and corny dialogue at times, but really, that's part of it being anime as gently caress—I find all the solid action, cyborg violence, and rad Junkie XL soundtrack balances that stuff out anyways. Alita is on HBO Max as well, if you wanted to check it out (if you haven't already).

[edit] I realize this looks like me shilling for the film because of my avatar, lmao. But I'm being honest when I say it was my favorite film from 2019*

*I am biased because I grew up reading the manga and watching the OVA a million times over

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 26, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

It's way better than it should be too, more than worth a play if you're a TV computer video gamer

Yeah it does kinda capture the feel well too, with Max accompanied by a weird gibbering madman the whole time. (Not a complaint, the character's actually well written and acted.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you want to watch something that's like Mad Max: Fury Road, I suggest watching Mad Max: Fury Road again. And if you're still craving something similar after, maybe just pop on Mad Max: Fury Road. If you're feeling spicy, double-feature it with Mad Max: Fury Road.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Also there's the black & chrome version.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I've watched Fury Road at least 15 times by now; 2 of those times were the chrome version. Sometimes it's nice to switch it up but still get the same satisfaction. Like ordering a double burger and fries with a beer from your favorite place, but then getting a single burger and onion rings with a shake the next time you go there.

Food analogies own.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

If you want to watch something that's like Mad Max: Fury Road, I suggest watching Mad Max: Fury Road again. And if you're still craving something similar after, maybe just pop on Mad Max: Fury Road. If you're feeling spicy, double-feature it with Mad Max: Fury Road.

It really is kind of the best movie ever

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's like Dredd, or more aptly Speed; it's got a beginning and an end and every line in between is in service of getting there.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

DorianGravy posted:

I just watched Beverley Hills Cop, and I'd forgotten how fun that movie is. Eddie Murphy is just so dang charming. I don't remember if I've seen the sequels. Are they still pretty good?

2 is basically more of the same and possibly even more 80’s than the first. I wouldn’t go further than that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fury Road and Dredd are the only 2 action movies I truly need. There's a ton of fun action movies out there but those are the only two that would be mainstays on my list of GOAT movies.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I turned boss level off after 20 minutes because it was dumb, but later returned and finished it and was glad I did, because it's a lot of fun. it is very dumb though.

I think that just adds to its charm. It knows what it is and it isn't afraid of it.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I'd put The Warriors in the same category as Fury Road too, it just has the same feel

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Fury Road and Dredd are the only 2 action movies I truly need. There's a ton of fun action movies out there but those are the only two that would be mainstays on my list of GOAT movies.

This is a fun thing to think about. Like a desert island question specifically about action movies. The fun of it is that it's different than just a straight ranking of the best of all time, because if I could only watch X number of action movies for the rest of my life I'd probably try to hit some varied notes to keep things fresh.

The ten action movies I would NEED to have on my island would be:

Die Hard
Fury Road
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Terminator 2
Predator
John Wick
The Matrix
The Raid
Speed
The Rock

I left out stuff like Enter the Dragon just because including pure martial arts films just makes the whole thing that much more impossible to decide. Anyway I chose 3 Keanu movies and just two Arnold movies so I guess that means Keanu is the greatest action star of all time.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Deadite posted:

I'd put The Warriors in the same category as Fury Road too, it just has the same feel

Another chase movie with a fast setup and all or nothing stakes on a small scale!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Basebf555 posted:

Die Hard
Fury Road
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Terminator 2
Predator
John Wick
The Matrix
The Raid
Speed
The Rock

Raiders is more an adventure movie so it can be left off. Good thing too, because you forgot Commando. Pretty embarrassing gaffe tbqh

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Demolition Man would make my list. [edit] And the Van Damme combo of Kickboxer + Bloodsport. Any list lacking these 3 films is shameful.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 26, 2021

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I watched Total Recall (on Netflix)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Solar Opposites season 2 was good. Binged it in the background while I worked today. The extended Pupa/revolver/Robocop joke setup and punchline got a good laugh out of me.

Too bad show's probably cancelled cuz Tom Middleton is a weird sex pest

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

crimedog posted:

I watched Total Recall (on Netflix)

Now the total recall redux on the other hand was a complete mess

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 26, 2021

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Thundercracker posted:

Solar Opposites season 2 was good. Binged it in the background while I worked today. The extended Pupa/revolver/Robocop joke setup and punchline got a good laugh out of me.

Too bad show's probably cancelled cuz Tom Middleton is a weird sex pest

It would be exceedingly easy to recast a voice actor of his talent level.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Road Warrior has the feral child who is pretty entertaining.

Taking of Pelham One Two Three '74 is another awesome straightforward movie with great performances. It's not streaming on any of the usual suspects but is worth your time.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Inspector Hound posted:

Now the total recall redux on the other hand was a complete mess

Yeah, 1990 for sho, I don't need to specify

I give it 3 tits (this is a good score)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Watching Man of Steel on HBO Max and this movie sure has a Sears, an IHOP, a 7-Eleven, and a U-Haul.

I think the brand logos stand out because they're in color and everything else looks like Gears of War.