Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm not really keen on film gob, but watching this compilation now is *chef's kiss*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYvD3fXslnI

[edit] lol, seeing the thumbnail blown up like that is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that man so much. I loving hate him. Everything he stands for. Everything he is.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I didn't think there was anti Snyder motivations from the studio initially but it feels more and more like there is. WW84 got a sequel announcement immediately. Snydercut immediately got a we are done with that announcement. It is hard to take WB at face value for anything after how they've treated Ray Fisher. People acting in the right don't do press releases for fake Frosty the Snowman movies starring Jason Mamoa.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

teagone posted:

I'm not really keen on film gob, but watching this compilation now is *chef's kiss*

I'm down for the extreme pettiness of course, but it's also nice to see specific quotes like "I bet his assembly cut is 35 minutes and has no music" (around 3:20) to really pin down the kinds of things that were being said at the time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Martman posted:

I'm down for the extreme pettiness of course, but it's also nice to see specific quotes like "I bet his assembly cut is 35 minutes and has no music" (around 3:20) to really pin down the kinds of things that were being said at the time.

The music thing is funnier now, because:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'll never understand the hate for Suicide Squad Joker, this is my favourite Joker scene ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0IHL6WGFY0

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

teagone posted:

The music thing is funnier now, because:

it remains endearing that so many people Snyder works with end up being his friends

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Another reason I don't think that Joker was well received in Suicide Squad was that it was the first movie the character was featured in where he's not the main villain*. He's used as a side character. Though it seems he was a bigger focus before studio meddling.

*I suppose there's also Batman The Movie, but he was the one leading everyone. Gosh that's a fun movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd always chalked it up to backlash from being the first to follow Ledger.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

well why not posted:

Yeah, there's a ton of reasons but this was gonna hit anyone who would have taken the role.

I can't remember what the general reaction to Phoenix's Joker reveal.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

I like the guy talking about how fandom is toxic and you can't reward them and then he starts yelling about how BvS was trash and he's angry at everyone who gave it a good review.

I think the biggest takeaway is understanding why so many people are grasping at straws to criticize ZSJL. Everyone is claiming to be an expert on movie production and how they have sources and this is why only they have the knowledge to understand why ZSJL will never happen. To be proven wrong so clearly and openly and to have the movie well reviewed shows that they're all BS. They need to fight hard against that to regain the narrative that they really are insiders with special knowledge.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

well why not posted:

Ehhhh. Brave and the Bold had an OK Joker, and I'm pretty sure Brent Spiner's take is equally reviled.

For me, it's stuff clicking together like the dumb smile outline, him sitting around brooding I'm a circle of weapons including an assault rifle or 6, collapsing in a laugh. None of that really works for me.

Azzarello did a really good Joker one-shot and it seems like this portrayal draws from it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't remember what the general reaction to Phoenix's Joker reveal.
It was "LOL Joaquin Phoenix? And it's not the same Joker from the Skwaad? And it's set in 1970s New York/Gotham wtfman!"

Then some leaks with the suit that were okish.

Then the trailer with the great music and people went "wait... wait is this going to be good?! :aaa:"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 26, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
An interesting contrast is that Joker is built around Phoenix's performance. It's a great performance, obviously, but the film is entirely built to show it off. Virtually every scene is centred on him, and he gets a whole lot of time and focus to show off the character, both large and small moments. It's usually pointless to go 'well, the film's only good because of X aspect' but Joker is a film that is entirely made by the lead performance. Remove it or have it played less well and it's suddenly a very dull film.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

wyoming posted:

I'll never understand the hate for Suicide Squad Joker, this is my favourite Joker scene ever:
Ayer posted some screenshots that showed there was originally supposed to be a Harley Quinn look alike passed out in the chair behind him but she was digitally removed during the re-edit.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is the Knightmare future a timeline where the mother boxes merged or could it still happen with Darkseid coming/"using the old ways"?

well why not posted:

It is this plus the tattoos.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 26, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

2house2fly posted:

it remains endearing that so many people Snyder works with end up being his friends

Snyder is the naruto of directors

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Is the Knightmare future a timeline where the mother boxes merged or could it still happen with Darkseid coming/"using the old ways"?

It is this plus the tattoos.

The second one. The Justice League all got blown up by the unification in that moment before Flash reversed time.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Jokwr is mostly ok with an excellent climax scene.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spacebump posted:

Possible future where the League is distracted and Darkseid takes them out in turn, possibly because Superman falls to Anti-Life after Batman fails to keep Lois safe.

I like that it's a possible future, and I entertain the idea that the BvS Knightmare is another possible future (one where Batman doesn't assemble the league, hence the different encounter with Superman). There, Batman is obsessed with killing Superman. In the JL Knightmare, he might have a plan to undo his failure.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

bushisms.txt posted:

Snyder is the naruto of directors
He is clearly Goku. People mistake him for a big fascist, but he's just a dude who loves big muscles and bigger friendships.

Neurolimal posted:

Moving from Shapiro onto a more appealing note, a recent MTV interview involved Snyder praising Feige for what he accomplished, and I was interested on if he was just being diplomatic so I looked at a few interviews and he seems to genuinely think Marvel does a good job in the interviews I've seen;

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/14/movies/zack-snyders-rough-and-tumble-ride-with-justice-league.html

Obviously "comic nerd likes comic movies" isn't that shocking, but it was nice to see that confirmed, especially with the enmity between the two fanbases.

Also, SambaTV is saying Justice League has hit 1.8 million views, over Falcon Winter's 1.7 million, which is great because that show's first episode was real bad.
Zack Snyder's Age of Ultron confirmed.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Zack Snyder's Age of Ultron confirmed.

He's expressed interest in adapting Frank Miller's Elektra Lives Again, but he's also said that he's done with comic movies for now. I'd watch it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

wyoming posted:

I can understand the hate but I don't get the bad misinterpretations, like "he's a low level gangster trying too hard" . . . who has the resources to run a nightclub and to command several successful raids against special forces and black sites??

This particular crime clown is clearly a Boss, whatever you think of his obviously deliberate affectations

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He's meant to resemble a cartel lord, hence the gold guns and stuff. Cartel IG looks like this:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
A Boss Lord if you will

Of the crime clowns

His nemesis is NightRodentman

His girlfriend is basically him, if he was a girl

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

e: ignore

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

wyoming posted:

It's simple: If you hate something you're very, very smart.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Spacebump posted:

I didn't think there was anti Snyder motivations from the studio initially but it feels more and more like there is. WW84 got a sequel announcement immediately. Snydercut immediately got a we are done with that announcement. It is hard to take WB at face value for anything after how they've treated Ray Fisher. People acting in the right don't do press releases for fake Frosty the Snowman movies starring Jason Mamoa.

WW84 is easy and obvious to follow up on regardless of that specific movie's reception because Gal Godot's take on the character is widely liked, and she's the only person who really needs to commit to a sequel.

Meanwhile, Affleck has said he's not interested in doing Batman anymore and the Ray Fisher situation is... tense to say the least, so even if they were willing to spend the money a Justice League 2 would cost (which is significantly higher than Wonder Woman 3 would be, and less likely to guarantee a return on that investment) they might still see it as being more trouble than it's worth for non-Snyder reasons.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of legs this has. If streaming numbers remain high for a while, it might still have a shot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sethsez posted:

Meanwhile, Affleck has said he's not interested in doing Batman anymore

I thought Affleck was confirmed to return in the Flash movie?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If Joker is the clown prince of crime, who is the clown king? Clown-9?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If Joker is the clown prince of crime, who is the clown king? Clown-9?

Those clowns in congress.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hand Knit posted:

Those clowns in congress.

Then why did the Joker mess with Pat Leahy

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The last and greatest of Stan Lee's creations

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Mr. Apollo posted:

I like the guy talking about how fandom is toxic and you can't reward them and then he starts yelling about how BvS was trash and he's angry at everyone who gave it a good review.

I think the biggest takeaway is understanding why so many people are grasping at straws to criticize ZSJL. Everyone is claiming to be an expert on movie production and how they have sources and this is why only they have the knowledge to understand why ZSJL will never happen. To be proven wrong so clearly and openly and to have the movie well reviewed shows that they're all BS. They need to fight hard against that to regain the narrative that they really are insiders with special knowledge.

100%. Most people who bitch about toxic online fanbases are also contributing to toxic online culture in an eternal circle jerk of "no u." I keep getting flashbacks of TLJ, where those who didn't like it are broadly labelled as trolling toxic fanboy stick-in-the-muds, by what are essentially trolling toxic Rian-stan fanboys. (For the record I didn't really like any of the new SWs)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Rian, like Zack, is an accomplished filmmaker whose vision was undercut by the hack the studio replaced him with

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

The United States posted:

Rian, like Zack, is an accomplished filmmaker whose vision was undercut by the hack the studio replaced him with

What movie did he get replaced on?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Citation needed.

Rian had his vision and a lot of people didn't like it. They just fumbled the sequel completely not pleasing either side.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

At best he was rushed to do TLJ and went with the first draft instead of polishing it up and removing the most glaring flaws

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rian didn't get replaced, though the guy directing the third one, Colin Trevorrow, had worked with Rian to come up with the basic story of the third onee that would hook up with his, and he got replaced after he put out one weird bad movie, which seems crazy to me. I can't think of a Trevorrow film I actually like, but even Rob Reiner put out North. I thought every director gets one freebie dumb poo poo passion project.

But Disney did Star Wars the same way WB did DC after that. "Abandon all plans, freak out, make it exactly like a Marvel movie in tone, and hit these specific plot beats so Twitter won't be mad at us, and quickly minimize the parts of minorities!" more or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:D

Honestly I wish people would accept that JJ Abrams didn't leave a grand master plan after Force Awakens that Disney threw out.

He probably said "oh lets have these mysteries in the first movie and the other directors/writers will fill in the blanks"