Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

don't talk to me I til I've had my bripe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
Cleaning up after a class B Aeropress accident (puck overshot the compost bin)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My condolences. How bad was cleanup?

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

my worst one was when I did the infamous double inverted method

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lmao

step aside evil knievel; here comes forums poster RustyKnight

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

My worst aeropress disaster was when i pressed then immediately popped the puck into the mug

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i don't really like my aeropress and i usually only use it when i'm camping

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

RustyKnight posted:

#nofilter

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

RustyKnight posted:

hahahaha

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

RustyKnight posted:

oof.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RustyKnight posted:

This is what you get for using an aeropress.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RustyKnight posted:

:rip:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/ItalianComments/status/1375162961451479049

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.

shoeberto posted:

My condolences. How bad was cleanup?
Wall, side of cabinet, floor. Took a good ten minutes. Whatever slipped in the cracks of the linoleum tile that should have been replaced in the 90s is the landlord's problem now

RustyKnight posted:

lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

it really kind of is though

as a rule the minimum quality of coffee is probably better in italy but you can get much better coffee in most semi developed cities in north america than you can in the average italian spot

they favour using cheaper lower quality beans for one, which is less noticeable when roasted darker and used in espresso

also loving lol at getting that mad about food

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
"Deeply painful." - when I didn't fill the basket in my drip machine with enough grounds so my morning brew is slightly too weak for my taste

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mediaphage posted:

as a rule the minimum quality of coffee is probably better in italy but you can get much better coffee in most semi developed cities in north america than you can in the average italian spot

they favour using cheaper lower quality beans for one, which is less noticeable when roasted darker and used in espresso

if the italians wanted the right to yell at me about using ricotta in lasagna maybe they shouldnt have teamed up with hitler

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I'm taking my afternoon coffee #fancy

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mediaphage posted:

Idk if you're somehow comparing the best place in each American city with "the average" Italian place, but to compare average with average the US café industry needs to be hauled into The Hague and prosecuted for crimes against coffee.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Idk if you're somehow comparing the best place in each American city with "the average" Italian place, but to compare average with average the US café industry needs to be hauled into The Hague and prosecuted for crimes against coffee.

no, obviously there are lovely cafes and diner sludge, and i'm not even getting into chains

but stuff like the (dumb name imo) third wave coffee shops or even semi-premium cafés tend to be at least as good as their italian equivalents

a lot of the coffee industry in italy is built around cheap commodity coffee, but they tend to at least use better equipment.

it's only very recently that stuff like sustainability and specialty coffee has started to grow in the markets there. i'm not impressed by some angry italian man going nuts because he has this platonic ideal of coffee built on the backs of slaves and isn't even willing to consider something new

maybe the mexican cappuccino was gross? i dunno i assume it's a mocha with cayenne or something equally derivative

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
how could you give your italian brother the ol' spicy mocha???

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If italians are so good at coffee how come it's called an Americano and not an Italiano

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

how could you give your italian brother the ol' spicy mocha???

i'm sure i watched this video a few times

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If italians are so good at coffee how come it's called an Americano and not an Italiano

manly american soldiers were too strong for puny espresso

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

it's because america invented espresso

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Speaking of America inventing espresso, had an afternoon double shot.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's because america invented espresso

its funny how we invented pizza but the Italians try to claim credit on that one too. what a bunch of thieves

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
my dad had this cool coffee maker when he was in the army in Kenya. I should see if my mom still has it lying around somewhere

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The machine is reloaded with beans and refuelled with H2O. In a mere 7 hours I will have delicious bean juice. Good night coffee thread, tomorrow is another highly caffeinated day

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Does anyone here fiddle with their water? The water where I live is clean to the point its practically reverse-osmosis , so I've been adding some baking soda and epsom salts back in (0.75g and 0.5g to 4L respectively) and I think it helps a bit with my pour over espresso blend in a chemex. I might also be full of my own farts.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

WilWheaton posted:

Does anyone here fiddle with their water? The water where I live is clean to the point its practically reverse-osmosis , so I've been adding some baking soda and epsom salts back in (0.75g and 0.5g to 4L respectively) and I think it helps a bit with my pour over espresso blend in a chemex. I might also be full of my own farts.

i do not. i'm not going to say it does nothing but i do think it's probably overrated.

i was talking to my so about this the other day, though, and i was wondering if you could use RO water in an espresso machine and then remineralize post extraction to avoid scale buildup

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

mediaphage posted:

i do not. i'm not going to say it does nothing but i do think it's probably overrated.

i was talking to my so about this the other day, though, and i was wondering if you could use RO water in an espresso machine and then remineralize post extraction to avoid scale buildup

a little bit of calcium chloride should help with that at least I think?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

did an inverted air this morning. maybe will invert again tomorrow

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

WilWheaton posted:

Does anyone here fiddle with their water?

i have two extremes of water where i live: 1. very chlorinated water from the tap and 2. literal spring water flowing up from the ground from lake superior

everyone in town here fills up jugs with spring water on a regular basis. but since i don't have a car, it's kind of a treat to do so for me. so i've had the chance to compare my espresso w/ w/o good water

results? it's not as big of a difference as i would have thought. the normal variables like getting the perfect packed grind / grind amount, the pull length, etc., have a way bigger impact

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lord funk can have little a spring water, as a treat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lord funk posted:

i have two extremes of water where i live: 1. very chlorinated water from the tap and 2. literal spring water flowing up from the ground from lake superior

everyone in town here fills up jugs with spring water on a regular basis. but since i don't have a car, it's kind of a treat to do so for me. so i've had the chance to compare my espresso w/ w/o good water

results? it's not as big of a difference as i would have thought. the normal variables like getting the perfect packed grind / grind amount, the pull length, etc., have a way bigger impact

if you find the chlorination to be an issue: have you checked to see what type of chlorine your local water treatment plant uses? if it's not chloramines you should be able to let it sit and offgas a lot of it

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Speaking of America inventing espresso, had an afternoon double shot.

I’m pretty sure our robot overlords invented coffee.

proof: bot butt bean juice

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 28, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

feeling the need for seed this am

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ngl kinda want one of those

jesus WEP posted:

there are apps for that now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

but ya beans in ya grindr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Italians put sugar in their espresso and I have 0 respect for them, they can yell as much as they want but it's not me who cannot make a coffee that does not require sugar in it