Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

poverty goat posted:

Does there exist a dog bed that my dogs can't/won't disembowel?

I need this too if it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

poverty goat posted:

Does there exist a dog bed that my dogs can't/won't disembowel?

Probably not.

I did get K9 Ballistics crate mats for my 3 dogs. One of mine dug a hole in his and they sent me a replacement. I think their deal is they'll replace it once or give you a credit for a more heavy duty (and more expensive) bed. I haven't actually given him the replacement yet because I wanted to make he quit wrecking it first. He has but then i forgot.

Two of my dogs completely wrecked a foam bed each that I had in their crates before getting them the K9 Ballistics mats. They don't really mess with the other foam dog beds I've got around my house.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have a couple of beds that are fairly old, and they do have small holes in them but for whatever reason the dogs deemed them inedible along the way. I wish I knew the secret.

I was thinking maybe a foam bed would be worth a shot by virtue of not resembling a stuffed toy quite so much.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

poverty goat posted:

I was thinking maybe a foam bed would be worth a shot by virtue of not resembling a stuffed toy quite so much.

How big are their toys? Or how small are their beds? :v:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

This came back out of my dog

Golden Langolier

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sab669 posted:

How big are their toys? Or how small are their beds? :v:

They actually also don't get stuffed toys at all anymore because one of them has a talent for eating them, fabric and all

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My dogs love disemboweling stuffed toys. They don't eat them, just leave fluff all over the place.

They didn't like the egg shell foam bed I tried. I've got 3 of the Bark Box foam beds around my house. They seem like they have good sizes and the dogs didn't eat the first one so I got some more.

I've got one other, larger foam bed and one stuffed one, like a pillow, for my hound dog, because she likes to dig and fluff up her bed. That one has actually held up really well to her digging at it. She's not trying to destroy it though. That one is Majestic Pet brand and I thought it was way too expensive when I bought it a year ago but it's held up well so maybe it was worth it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
It took my dog turning around 5 or 6 before she stopped disemboweling beds. Now she is 8 and has a really nice memory foam bed instead of a patched denim sack filled with the corpses of previous torn-up beds.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

GoodBee posted:

Probably not.

I did get K9 Ballistics crate mats for my 3 dogs. One of mine dug a hole in his and they sent me a replacement. I think their deal is they'll replace it once or give you a credit for a more heavy duty (and more expensive) bed. I haven't actually given him the replacement yet because I wanted to make he quit wrecking it first. He has but then i forgot.

Two of my dogs completely wrecked a foam bed each that I had in their crates before getting them the K9 Ballistics mats. They don't really mess with the other foam dog beds I've got around my house.

Our dog chewed through a K9 ballistics pad, so we got a primo pad instead and it's not cushy but it has no seams to destroy.

For non-crate, we get cheap donut cuddlers and spray the poo poo out of them with grannick's bitter apple before she gets to use them. Seems to increase the longevity pretty well, but we have to reapply periodically.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I suppose I should have looked into this when I first got my greyhound nine years ago, but better late than never! Can anyone recommend an ACTUAL waterproof dog bed? i.e. if they pee on it, it won't just soak through to the foam (which obviously can't be washed). Maybe this one?

https://www.chewy.com/brindle-waterproof-orthopedic-pillow/dp/180868

I have a couple pee pads from when Abby first developed cognitive dysfunction and was having overnight accidents often. They are 24x36, so I figured I could get the 22x34 size and stick them inside as well.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 26, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Alucard posted:

Our dog chewed through a K9 ballistics pad, so we got a primo pad instead and it's not cushy but it has no seams to destroy.

My primo pad is holding strong as well. Waterproof, easy to clean, and hasn't been wrecked by the feral hog so far.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

With her second round of vaccines on the books, the vet said we could introduce her to a small number of low-risk dogs. Today we met the next door neighbor and had a great time!

Savannah came back inside and instantly went to sleep. It's tough being a puppy!

(She's also noticeably less interested in the resident cats after playing with another dog. Seems like she has pieced together that cats are weird)

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Meet Coho the labradoodle.

Turds in magma fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 27, 2021

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
10 week old pembroke corgi at home. House training is going...fine. We get out for like 80-85% of events and are clearly building the association. I know we are still at least a few weeks away, but the week he’s been at home we’re down to only waking up once a night to go out...until last night into today.

So, he’s had some low level diarrhea for a few days, a couple of peak liquid ones but generally looser constituency like a pudding or fro yo. Food type is constant with breeder’s, only addition has been the treat brand we have and peanut butter in a Kong now and then. He tries to eat a whole bunch of grass in the back as well but not in the volume I would think could cause this. He took his first simparica ever at the start of this too. Have people seen meds cause this for a few days, or is this more likely to be a new food thing?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

has anyone used mammoth dog beds?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Gobi found a dead mouse in my neighbors backyard two weeks ago and still wants to go there ASAP once we walk out my front door.

https://twitter.com/alex_lily/status/1364948422453846019?s=21

(Thread)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

GOOD DOG

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Turds in magma posted:

Meet Coho the labradoodle.

Hello! You are ver floof

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Got the long term confinement area set up today.

Everything is Midwest homes brand stuff from Amazon. Kinda flimsy but I think it will serve our purposes. The crate is big enough to fit the dog when he's full grown, and we have a divider in place for potty training. Once he can be trusted to have free roam of the house, we'll probably throw the pen in the garage and bring it with us on camping trips. It came with stakes to hold it in place on the ground which is nice. We just got an outdoor rug to put under everything since mats can be pretty expensive for what they're doing. IDK how well it will protect the floor but hopefully we just won't have that many accidents.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

This idiot apparently is having a mental breakdown with the winds we're having (no rain or thunder, just wind and some small branches falling on the roof). We had to take her out of her nighttime crate in our bedroom and one of us is trying to get her to settle in the guest bedroom tonight (she's rarely in that room but it's better secluded from any outside noises). She came out of the crate covered in drool after only being in there for around 30-45 minutes.

She's around 18 months and we think she might be going through a fear period, as she's been getting spooked by stuff that normally doesn't bother her like getting into the car, house creaking, and other random things. Aside from just toughing it out, any ideas on how to deal with this? We had some luck with adaptil in the past when she was a puppy and dealing with isolation distress, but haven't tried much more. She's never had this level of panic before, especially with the level of panting and drooling in what's normally her most secure spot in the house (bedtime crate).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GoodBee posted:

My dogs love disemboweling stuffed toys. They don't eat them, just leave fluff all over the place.

They didn't like the egg shell foam bed I tried. I've got 3 of the Bark Box foam beds around my house. They seem like they have good sizes and the dogs didn't eat the first one so I got some more.

I've got one other, larger foam bed and one stuffed one, like a pillow, for my hound dog, because she likes to dig and fluff up her bed. That one has actually held up really well to her digging at it. She's not trying to destroy it though. That one is Majestic Pet brand and I thought it was way too expensive when I bought it a year ago but it's held up well so maybe it was worth it.

My murdermouth has a select few super chewer Bark Box toys that he won't destroy. Otherwise he'll eventually kill it when he gets bored with it.

He'll rip it into tiny pieces if he's feeling sassy.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

acidx posted:

Everything is Midwest homes brand stuff from Amazon. Kinda flimsy but I think it will serve our purposes.

I've had the Midwest folding crates for my dog since I got them. I've had first for 4.5 years. They've held up really well for me. My dogs don't fight their crates, which looked like the reason for a lot of bad reviews. I have folded them up and moved them around a lot.

I would bring them camping but I mostly used a harness and cable with a stake while camping. My dogs are not small and I didn't have them as puppies so I never tried a pen.

Alucard posted:

This idiot apparently is having a mental breakdown with the winds we're having (no rain or thunder, just wind and some small branches falling on the roof).

I turn up the TV or play some music for my weather weenies. Ask your vet about melatonin or a prescription chill pill. I do melatonin. Mine don't drool and pace though, mine hide and shake.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay so lately Ellie has been a bit more skittish on walks than normal. She seems perfectly happy but she's unwilling to go down streets she used to go down a few weeks ago and now wants to stay basically on the sidwalk in front of my apartment and maybe 200 ft up the street.

On walks she'll try to just walk back and forth along this stretch and if I try to go any other way she'll tuck her tail and refuse to go further. If I continually ask her to 'come' she'll give me another 5ft before stopping again.

Should I just take this as 'progress comes in waves and right now give her time to adjust again' or would driving to the park or doing something else that is maybe a bit out of the normal be good?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Today I learned a valuable lesson - always use a flashlight to check what the dog is munching if it's dark, lest you grab a half decomposed rat out of the mouth of an old dog. Billie....

My folks are moving interstate in a couple weeks and I'll be taking Wren to live with me to go live with my mum, which will be interesting.. Billie and Wren haven't really been separated since I got Wren. Mum has a dog - a 10 year old uh..greyhound/whippet/something named Henry who adores little dogs but Wren hasn't had any exposure to other dogs at all, between me being super immunocompromised and COVID.

Dogs: the fun never ends

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/arin_twit/status/1376603158739320838

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Love the name, love the face, that's a good meatball and deserves a loving home.

Mine are kinda the same way in that whole, "I'm gonna love you, and I don't really care what I step on to accomplish it" attitude. I don't mind it but I know lots of people who wouldn't tolerate it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just lol if your dog(s) haven’t crushed your balls into powder by now.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oh god that dog is in illinois too, seriously debating it right now...

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Just lol if your dog(s) haven’t crushed your balls into powder by now.

I've given up on the "lap" command because apparently our dog jumps right on my nuts, so I only ask her to cuddle next to me now.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My dogs don't jump on my any more but my hound dog punches my brother square in the nuts every time she sees him.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My buddies golden will come towards you and jump into your balls when you're not paying attention.

My Vizsla will nose bump and ring the doorbell every now and then. He's also notorious for getting in my lap when I'm at my desk and standing right on the beans with both front paws.

Every drat time.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Phht, stop whining....(I have a great dane...that's a lot of ball crushing power)

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hit me: what are your favorite stores for collars (bonus for martingales)! I’m stuck in paralysis trying to pick ~the perfect collar~ for this noble and elegant creature. US or Canada based small businesses are a plus!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

cailleask posted:

Hit me: what are your favorite stores for collars (bonus for martingales)! I’m stuck in paralysis trying to pick ~the perfect collar~ for this noble and elegant creature. US or Canada based small businesses are a plus!

I’ve gotten several nice collars from collarmania in the past. All the non-leather collars in this pic are from them. It’s just one person sewing all of it so it takes a while but all of mine have held up well.

I like lupine collars on the rowdy rough girls because they have lifetime guarantee and will replace even chewed collars. Mina has a rainbow unicorn quick release(that has been replaced once already) and Scout has a retired design apple martingale.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for the links. I was sad that I couldn't find a collar with princess crowns in my dog's size this past weekend. I think she'll enjoy a furry pink and green glitter collar instead.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hey dog thread, question for those of you who might have some more experience: my dog Stella is a ten year old lab/shepherd/mutt mix and we've had her since she was two. For as long as we've had her she's been reactive to other dogs. She's not crazy aggressive but we have to cross the street when other dogs are coming on walks and she's started some poo poo with friends' dogs before. No serious bites but bared teeth and growling, especially when a dog wants to take something that's "hers." That said, she also has dogs that are her "friends" that she plays well with (typically good natured dogs that are willing to put up with her bullshit domineering play style, or dogs that she's known since they were puppies.) She's got no issues with people at all, you can take a high value treat right out of her mouth and she doesn't care.

Anyway, she's getting on in years and my wife is talking about getting a second dog, probably a puppy. On the one hand Stella does seem really, really happy when she has another dog to play with, and it might be nice for her to have a friend for her senior years. My wife also wants the second dog because she and Stella have a really, really tight bond and when Stella goes it's going to crush her (me too obviously but I'm kind of the third wheel in this relationship.) I'm worried that introducing a new dog might just end up making Stella's senior years shittier. We're childless millennials so obviously our dog is the star of our household, and having another dog vying for space and attention might suck for her. I also worry that she'll tolerate the puppy but just be kind of a dick to it and it won't be very nice for the puppy to have this big old lumbering rear end in a top hat telling it off all the time. Plus Stella is pretty dumb and doesn't realize she's getting old and if she's wrestling with a puppy/young dog all the time I'm concerned she's going to hurt herself. Also on a personal level I've never had two dogs before so I'm just thinking about the logistics of having two dogs to walk, two dogs to fit in the car, etc. etc.

In terms of actually having a puppy we're pretty well situated as we're both at home full time (my wife just got let go and I have a permanent wfh position)

For those of you who have introduced puppies/young dogs into a house with a senior dog, what do you think? Good idea or potential disaster?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

acidx posted:

Been a long process looking for breeders, researching training, and waiting out the pandemic, but we finally got our first look at our staffordshire bull terrier pup today.

We wanted a female, but the litter is all males. Our long term hope was to get the dog registered as a therapy dog so that my girlfriend could take her to work for her interviews with abused children, and I felt pretty good about our odds with a female, but now I'm more concerned. I guess we'll just get him neutered, socialize the hell out of him, and hope for the best with his temperament. It'd be nice to be able to bring him around children and other dogs without having to worry about him, but we'll see. Now I gotta pick out a new name too. :argh:

6 weeks old and it was puppy picking day today! They've grown so much and had lots of personality. This little terrorist and a buddy of his were more interested in pant legs than anything.

Very entertaining pups, but probably not the best fit for us. Ultimately, we decided to go with this little guy, who was the only one who was more interested in us than in the toys and his brothers. He was very engaged and was very gentle and I think he'll be a good candidate for a therapy dog. Meet Bennie.

2 more weeks and we'll be bringing the little chonk home.

acidx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 4, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

prom candy posted:

Hey dog thread, question for those of you who might have some more experience: my dog Stella is a ten year old lab/shepherd/mutt mix and we've had her since she was two. For as long as we've had her she's been reactive to other dogs. She's not crazy aggressive but we have to cross the street when other dogs are coming on walks and she's started some poo poo with friends' dogs before. No serious bites but bared teeth and growling, especially when a dog wants to take something that's "hers." That said, she also has dogs that are her "friends" that she plays well with (typically good natured dogs that are willing to put up with her bullshit domineering play style, or dogs that she's known since they were puppies.) She's got no issues with people at all, you can take a high value treat right out of her mouth and she doesn't care.

Anyway, she's getting on in years and my wife is talking about getting a second dog, probably a puppy. On the one hand Stella does seem really, really happy when she has another dog to play with, and it might be nice for her to have a friend for her senior years. My wife also wants the second dog because she and Stella have a really, really tight bond and when Stella goes it's going to crush her (me too obviously but I'm kind of the third wheel in this relationship.) I'm worried that introducing a new dog might just end up making Stella's senior years shittier. We're childless millennials so obviously our dog is the star of our household, and having another dog vying for space and attention might suck for her. I also worry that she'll tolerate the puppy but just be kind of a dick to it and it won't be very nice for the puppy to have this big old lumbering rear end in a top hat telling it off all the time. Plus Stella is pretty dumb and doesn't realize she's getting old and if she's wrestling with a puppy/young dog all the time I'm concerned she's going to hurt herself. Also on a personal level I've never had two dogs before so I'm just thinking about the logistics of having two dogs to walk, two dogs to fit in the car, etc. etc.

In terms of actually having a puppy we're pretty well situated as we're both at home full time (my wife just got let go and I have a permanent wfh position)

For those of you who have introduced puppies/young dogs into a house with a senior dog, what do you think? Good idea or potential disaster?

I think your concerns are valid and it's a big leap to go from one dog to two (and then a slippy slope to three). You need to be prepared for them to not get along or two have to keep them separate long term as you do careful introductions. It isn't fair to let the older dog have to be the one to teach the young one manners and it also isn't ok to have your puppy chomped by a resource guardy adult. There are some good books on managing multi-dog households if you want to read more before deciding, "Feeling Outnumbered?" and "Multiple Dog Household: a guide to training and problem-solving" are the books I've been recommended.

I got my most recent puppy for similar reasons as your wife and while it's a ton of work and she has to be kept separate from my senior dog I don't regret it at all. No one will ever replace my old man but it's such a relief to no longer be up at night worrying about the day I come home to an empty house

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I took this good girl bouldering this weekend. She's been on lots of hikes with my hound, who never wants to stop moving unless it's to cool off in a river or whatever, and is well behaved there but I wasn't certain how she'd behave just tied to a tree for a couple hours but she was awesome. Didn't whine or bark once. Just took in the sights and smells and was happy to get attention any time someone came over to her.

There was plenty of room between the crash pads in my car and the trunk hatchback, but she insisted on crawling up onto my pads anyways. On the way to the place I put both pads on top of each other and she squeezed herself on top of them totally squished under the roof lmao. So on the way back I made sure to just stand 1 pad up (the second pad is too tall and had to lay flat), so there she is still just chilling on top of it. I wish I could bring my hound along too but I know she'd just cry the entire time. Oh well, gives them some time away from each other I guess.

I just wanted to say how happy I was with her behavior, and how cool it is to see the differences in the two in every day life as a first time double-dog owner. I mean I've had her for like a year and a half now, but still.