Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rip Jessica Walter

CPL593H posted:

The narrator of the commercial was yelling everything and I vividly remember one of the things he said was "THIS MOVIE MAKES BLADE RUNNER LOOK LIKE DISNEYLAND!". I had no idea what that meant but it sure sounded exciting.

I've never heard this commercial before but that's exactly how I'm going to describe Akira from now on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I think Akira's actually Disneyland, because Akira is the entertaining one :twisted:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The first TMNT movie in theaters is the first movie I really distinctly remember going to. My widowed aunt took me because my cousins had grown up and gone off to college and I think spending time with me made her feel less lonely. We tried going on I think 3 different days but it kept being sold out.

Eventually we get to see it at what was one of the last big, single-screen theaters around. This theater liked to do gimmicky stuff, presumably to keep interest up. During the pre-roll they had someone in a ninja camel costume dancing around in the aisles. I guess the only animal costume they could rent out was a Joe Camel costume and they slapped a bandana mask and some toy swords on it.

CPL593H posted:

I watched a lot of MTV in the 90s because they had all the crazy poo poo like that and of course Beavis and Butthead. Anyway I was in the 7-9 years old area when they played Aeon Flux. It was super weird and it always freaked me out. It was also confusing a lot of the time because there's kind of a continuity but not really and the titular character died at the end of the episode of a lot times and poo poo was just weird. Anyway in my memory the show will always be a literal fever dream because one time I was pretty sick and of course running a fever. So I was laying in bed and MTV had an Aeon Flux marathon so I was trying to watch that but I kept going in and out of sleep and I couldn't tell which episode ended and began and I was seeing bits and pieces of a whole bunch of them in various states of consciousness. I feel like this is the optimal way to watch the show. Even before that I'm not even sure I ever same a complete episode start to finish. I somehow always managed to see the last few minutes of an episode late at night.

I remember catching some aeon flux on mtv when trying to watch bevis and butthead or like the maxx or the head. I have this distinct memory of my dad walking in during the scene with the false tooth and getting something out of it (a microchip?) via tongue kissing and my dad saying this is the most disgusting thing that's ever existed and walking back out.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember catching some aeon flux on mtv when trying to watch bevis and butthead or like the maxx or the head. I have this distinct memory of my dad walking in during the scene with the false tooth and getting something out of it (a microchip?) via tongue kissing and my dad saying this is the most disgusting thing that's ever existed and walking back out.

That's all of Peter Chung's work and it's all glorious. I watched the hell out of Phantom 2040 and Reign: The Conqueror as well as Aeon Flux.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Recently rewatched all of Aeon Flux and it owns, The Maxx is top tier television as well (and my favorite comic book ever)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

duz posted:

That's all of Peter Chung's work and it's all glorious. I watched the hell out of Phantom 2040 and Reign: The Conqueror as well as Aeon Flux.

Phantom 2040 was one of those really weird 90s cases of a bad/dumb idea executed brilliantly, iirc. It even had a SNES game that was amazingly good, and had a multi-path story with like 20 different endings.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baron von Eevl posted:

Eventually we get to see it at what was one of the last big, single-screen theaters around. This theater liked to do gimmicky stuff, presumably to keep interest up. During the pre-roll they had someone in a ninja camel costume dancing around in the aisles. I guess the only animal costume they could rent out was a Joe Camel costume and they slapped a bandana mask and some toy swords on it.

That rules.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My Japanimation source was an adult man my cousin had somehow found who would get us third hand VHS tapes full of random stuff. He offered to let us stay in his hotel room so we could to an early anime convention but for some reason our parents were very against that. :raise:

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe

duz posted:

I only recently found out that he directed the pilot for Rugrats, and it's amazing how clearly his voice comes through in that as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOKIW_5iaUw

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CPL593H posted:

In early-mid 90s anime had this whole hip underground vibe to it. Like the only way you could see it is if you had a cool older cousin or something or you'd have to wake up at 6:00am on a Saturday to see an episode of Dragonball. It seemed weird and dangerous because there were cartoons with boobs and swearing. And it wasn't called anime it was referred to as "Japanimation". They use to run this ad on TV constantly for an 800 number you could call to buy a copy of Akira and they made it sound like the craziest movie ever made. The narrator of the commercial was yelling everything and I vividly remember one of the things he said was "THIS MOVIE MAKES BLADE RUNNER LOOK LIKE DISNEYLAND!". I had no idea what that meant but it sure sounded exciting.

And then eventually it became...anime.

I have fond memories of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-6C-PiuuZI

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

My brother was mainlining bootleg Fist of the North Star tapes from our local comic book store for a while. Every so often they’d forget to edit out a commercial and it was like looking into a parallel universe for a sheltered 10-year-old.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Been rewatching Falling Down and was reminded of the fun whiplash of seeing Robert Duvall in this before seeing him in Apocalypse Now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
https://twitter.com/ThatElJefe/status/1375637002868174850?s=20
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I guess we're getting a Wild Cards series from HBO

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m sure The Winds of Winter will be out any day now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m sure The Winds of Winter will be out any day now.

quote:

Of course, all this extra work means less time for Martin to focus on the long-promised final two entries in A Song of Ice and Fire, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. Martin had said he intended to use the pandemic quarantine to finish the first novel, but his self-imposed deadline has long since come and passed.

Edit: I always want to call it "A Song of Fire and Ice," and slightly shocked every time I read it and find out it's the other way around.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
ice and fire has better meter, he got that right at least

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

ice and fire has better meter, he got that right at least

I probably just keep thinking of the Robert Frost poem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adJdBSdMGKU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Stabbing Nazis and then being Dracula gives you a pretty solid nomination for coolest person ever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Stabbing Nazis and then being Dracula gives you a pretty solid nomination for coolest person ever.

There's a reason it's called the greatest generation.

Julia Child was a spy during ww2.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Looks like all you need to do to get British people to be great is giving them even bigger villains to fight.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Grendels Dad posted:

Looks like all you need to do to get British people to be great is giving them even bigger villains to fight.

I say good chap, you need me on that wall, wot

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grendels Dad posted:

Julia Child was from Boston. That wasn't an accent, she just talked that way because she was a loving crazy person.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Julia Child was from Boston. That wasn't an accent, she just talked that way because she was a loving crazy person.

Wikipedia says California. ONE OF YOU IS LYING.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How do you get in contact with the people who make weed parody tshirts? Like it'll be the Mountain Dew logo but it'll say Mountain Weed, or instead of Pokemon it's Smokemon, you know what I mean? I really want a The Hashassination of Jesse Joints by the Chronic Robbud Ford shirt but it seems like nobody makes them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

How do you get in contact with the people who make weed parody tshirts? Like it'll be the Mountain Dew logo but it'll say Mountain Weed, or instead of Pokemon it's Smokemon, you know what I mean? I really want a The Hashassination of Jesse Joints by the Chronic Robbud Ford shirt but it seems like nobody makes them.

You can probably find stuff like that on Etsy.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Jersey shore boardwalk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=make+your+own+t-shirt

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gripweed posted:

like half the cum town mech is this

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

Wikipedia says California. ONE OF YOU IS LYING.

It's probably me, I was in Boston a while ago and there was some collage on the top-ish floor of the Prudential Center that had a bunch of Boston-adjascent people. Did she live in Boston? Go school in Boston?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's probably me, I was in Boston a while ago and there was some collage on the top-ish floor of the Prudential Center that had a bunch of Boston-adjascent people. Did she live in Boston? Go school in Boston?

According to wikipedia it was Northampton which is a long rear end drive from Boston. We live in a world of lies.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Baron von Eevl posted:

She was born in Pasadena. She lived in the Boston area for 40 years.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Spent way too long on this

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Fitzcarraldo?

I haven't seen it, I just know it involves a boat in an improbable space.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Fitzcarraldo?

I haven't seen it, I just know it involves a boat in an improbable space.

Nah, Sorcerer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nah, Sorcerer.

gently caress, I've actually seen that one. Sweatiest movie I've ever seen.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I want Ridley Scott to make a movie that is both the third in the Alien prequels but also somehow a sequel to Legend.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

I want Ridley Scott to make a movie that is both the third in the Alien prequels but also somehow a sequel to Legend.

No Tim Curry, no deal

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/anyamazed/status/1376026691290554372?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

You should post this in the GBS photoshop thread themed around that.