Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Bossing people around isn't an artform. You can "direct" a painting or a book all you want but no one's going to respect you as an auteur. Film isn't ever going to be taken seriously as long as the filmmaking community keeps insisting on having a director micromanage everything when it's obvious the actual art of filmmaking is the editing. But that isn't commercial, so it looks like movies will just never be considered art by anyone who isn't an industry hack I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Movies are videogames of artistic medium

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm gonna direct a stream of piss on to OP's face, now that is real art

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Agreed OP, Kurosawa is extremely overrated like most of these “artists”

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Please "Direct" my "Dick" into your "Mouth", OP

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

And I'm not even saying I don't like movies or anything, but this whole nonsense of elevating a middle management position as the "film maker" is such a silly and embarrassing industry ploy at making a commercial enterprise looks prestigious. It's why the industry had to start all these gaudy awards shows to pat their own backs because no one else is gonna. The rough equivalents in other mediums like record producers, book editors, hell even theater directors don't get to sniff their own farts the way film directors do.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 26, 2021

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Sorry they wouldn’t let you be the director

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Producers should really be elevated over these directors. Without their wise and cautious monetary investment, the movie wouldn't be made and the worthless artiste directors and "talent" would just lay about in drug induced haze.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Imagine having an avatar of a Wes Craven movie and still thinking a director isn't an artist.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
sorry but if you can't think of somebody like Dennis Dugan (Happy Gilmore, You Don't Mess With The Zohan) as an artist, then you sir have no taste

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I actually didn't know until like a couple years ago that directors weren't the guys recording the film/looking into the eye piece of the camera. That's apparently a cinematographer. What the gently caress do directors even do? Lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know why they keep trying to make art movies. Just make movies we can enjoy! Marvel definitely got that right, the perfect blend of action, character and humour! There's a reason they keep getting made!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hi, I'm a famous director, could you submit those TPS reports with the new cover page by afternoon? Thanks, ciao

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't know why they keep trying to make art movies. Just make movies we can enjoy! Marvel definitely got that right, the perfect blend of action, character and humour! There's a reason they keep getting made!

this, but unironically

actually i don't like marvel movies much but drat do i hate art films !!!!!!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
gently caress YOU TREE OF LIFE!!! GIVE ME THOSE 3 HOURS OF MY LIFE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
But who is going to tell the lady to moan louder and look into the camera while she sucks

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love watching an art film because I get to lord it over anyone that hasn't as evidence of my culture and class. Anyone that has I simply ask them what they thought, zone out, and when they're done talking I chuckle and say "well, if that's what *you* got out of it that's fine too..."

The actual meaning and story of the movie doesn't weigh on me, I don't have time to consider the purpose of these things. That would cut into my time watching more to add to my list.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

I love watching an art film because I get to lord it over anyone that hasn't as evidence of my culture and class. Anyone that has I simply ask them what they thought, zone out, and when they're done talking I chuckle and say "well, if that's what *you* got out of it that's fine..."

The actual meaning and story of the movie doesn't way on me, I don't have time to consider the purpose of these things. That would cut into my time watching more to add to my list.

This, but classic literature

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think its great, that people can watch movies w/ a 2 minute cut of a tricycle slowly rolling down a hill on its own,

however i dont ever want to watch that movie, or hear anyone speak about it, ever under any circumstances

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

ikanreed posted:

But who is going to tell the lady to moan louder and look into the camera while she sucks

That's the job of the Python Wrangler and Best Boy :rolleyes:

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

People need to stop Directing Films, and start Midwifing Movies

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Enormously fat good for nothing failson director waving his pudgy hands, sputtering, "I have literally birthed this monumental film!"

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Best Boy is the real talent

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Nothing is art and everything is

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think films can be art. I also think pretentious garbage from egomaniacs who consider themselves auteurs isn't.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ok filmer, keep watching your moving pictures while your brain atrophies.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Nothing is art and everything is

This but unironically

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Some directors are just management, some are really "filmmakers". In that they are usually experienced cinematographers, editors, writers, actors, etc. and will usually guide a film's direction through this multifaceted experience. See: Kubrick, Tarantino, Lucas, Scorsese, Coppola, et al.

It is a bit of a semantic/vanity thing but ofc there is a gulf of difference between the nobody that manages the set as "director" for Marvel Movie: Redemption: Return of the Guys 3, and Kubrick hand crafting 2001: A Space Odyssey

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
uwe boll was right

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Sorry they didn’t like your edit of the film, Mr. Whedon

E. Or Mr. Snyder

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You do know that like Leonardo DaVinci bossed a fuckton of people around to make his paintings for him all the time right

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the real artist is all of you, the audience. no, i mean it. give yourselves a round of applause. we couldn't be up here if not for you and your grand artistry. thank you thank you thank you. *bows solemnly*

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I agree op, flims make themselves these days, they don’t need a director stinkin up the place. :hmmyes:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
oh wow you put a camera on a wheelchair. i'll put YOU IN A WHEELCHAIR YOU DIRTY FRENCH BASTARD

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNg13Ju5HN8

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Gummo is art. Gummo is life.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Gummo is art. Gummo is life.

This but “Kids”

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
If it doesn't feature scenes from classical literature and/or pillars it ain't art.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

you're right op, they should be called heroes. A successful director will see a project to completion and get you that return on investment, which is the only artform that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I actually didn't know until like a couple years ago that directors weren't the guys recording the film/looking into the eye piece of the camera. That's apparently a cinematographer. What the gently caress do directors even do? Lol

They yell "cut!" and "action!" and occasionally do what they refer to as "discussing the character's motivation with the actors" which is the industry term for wanton sexual harassment.