Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I wasn't blown away, but King Shark tearing someone in half is very cool and I will watch this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I’m so happy. Birds of Prey still my fav comic film, but this could still be my fav non-Black Widow one of the year. Margot Harley :woop:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timeless Appeal posted:

The original League of Extraordinary Gentleman has to tap dance around using him as much as they do with secret agent Jimmy in later comics or antichrist Harry Potter.

You're absolutely right about this and I just plain dang ol' forgot.

Eh.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

It looks ok. Solid at least. I like King Shark and John Cena.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Well the new Suicide Squad seems to lean a lot more heavily into comedy like how WB forced the first one to be more comedic for better or worse. I just hope this time, they let the director get final edit on the movie instead of a trailer house.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I think that trailer makes it pretty clear that there is a first team sent made up of TDK, Mongal, Javelin, etc (basically the brightly colored costumed characters with Harley in the previous stuff put out for this.) I think that team clearly gets wrecked and the smaller team of people this trailer focused on are the main team in the film.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Who is the antagonist of the film? (Other than maybe Waller?)

I got nothing from the trailer other than "look at these characters!"

Genuinely curious what the actual mission even is because the trailer sure as gently caress didn't inform me what the characters are trying to do.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Genuinely curious what the actual mission even is because the trailer sure as gently caress didn't inform me what the characters are trying to do.

It appears to be Starro but perhaps the real antagonists are the protagonists themselves and Waller

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mordiceius posted:

Starro was a big reveal in that trailer, and he does mind control stuff so could be the villain.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spacebump posted:

I think that trailer makes it pretty clear that there is a first team sent made up of TDK, Mongal, Javelin, etc (basically the brightly colored costumed characters with Harley in the previous stuff put out for this.) I think that team clearly gets wrecked and the smaller team of people this trailer focused on are the main team in the film.

They've become a Kamikaze Kompany

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ah, I'm not too familiar with Starro, so that would explain why I had no idea that the giant starfish was the advertised antagonist. I thought that was just another monster gag.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

Starro was a big reveal in that trailer, and he does mind control stuff so could be the villain.

I'm hoping for Starro to mind control a few C list heroes that the Squad has to wreck.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's wild that there are 2 movies with 2 different versions of Starro, of all characters, released this year.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hoop Dreams posted:

Well the new Suicide Squad seems to lean a lot more heavily into comedy like how WB forced the first one to be more comedic for better or worse. I just hope this time, they let the director get final edit on the movie instead of a trailer house.

I mean violent dark comedy is definitely in James Gunn's wheelhouse at least

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeah not impressed with the trailer. The hand joke was funny. But I have HBO Max anyway so I'll watch it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Robot Style posted:

It's wild that there are 2 movies with 2 different versions of Starro, of all characters, released this year.

What is the other?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Augus posted:

I mean violent dark comedy is definitely in James Gunn's wheelhouse at least

So are movies about mind controlling alien parasites

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Spacebump posted:

What is the other?

Snyder Cut - Steppenwolf uses a little Starro robot to read people's minds and find the Motherboxes.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Robot Style posted:

Snyder Cut - Steppenwolf uses a little Starro robot to read people's minds and find the Motherboxes.

I didn't realize that was supposed to be a Starro robot. I just assumed it was a creepy looking machine, makes a lot of sense thinking about it though.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I like the cast and costuming but some of those jokes yeesh . . . Who watches Jurassic World or KotM and thinks "this is what BoP needed, reaction shots by a computer toucher to really drive home how crazy this is"? WB execs of course!

Calling it now, Gunn is going to end up the worse in the comparison to Ayer

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A FREAKIN KAIJU??!?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't like mind control movies, generally speaking, but Starro is so loving weird that I'm wholly on board.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

If only this would lead to Ben Affleck acting against Jarro played by Tom Holland

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

yikes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't understand the appeal of Harley Quinn in any media, but besides that the trailer looks fun.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The trailer seems fine, not particularly exciting but I'm willing to give Gunn the benefit of the doubt since he made the two best superhero movies of the last decade.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Oasx posted:

I don't understand the appeal of Harley Quinn in any media, but besides that the trailer looks fun.

The animated show is very good

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I apparently confused Starro with the Black Mercy, is there any connection between those two things?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Klungar posted:

I apparently confused Starro with the Black Mercy, is there any connection between those two things?

Other than both being mind controlling alien parasites, no. Black Mercy is about putting you into a dream coma and harvesting your brain energy, Starro is more about a self replication starfish looking to conquer everything

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

A FREAKIN KAIJU??!?

Uuuuh, so THAT happened.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Even though his dialogue in that trailer wasn't funny I'm definitely looking forward to John Cena in this, he's a delight

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blood Boils posted:

Even though his dialogue in that trailer wasn't funny I'm definitely looking forward to John Cena in this, he's a delight

The dick jokes were superb.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loving love dick jokes

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
There's Kaiju now?!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shanty posted:

There's Kaiju now?!

There's Kaiju now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

stev posted:

since he made the two best superhero movies of the last decade.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This looks fine and I love Robbie as Harley.

I do kind of wish you had a Suicide Squad that feels like the 80s comics that are more of these political thrillers. It was such a cult classic for such a long time, current Suicide Squad is a bit of a monkey's paw.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 27, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oasx posted:

She's hot

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I think Suicide Squad looks great. I totally get that it won't be for everyone but it is distinctly it's own creature (Gunn taking what he's learned making his the GotG films and applying his love of violent B-movies and crass humor) which is refreshing when a lot of stuff is trying to be everything to all people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Roth posted:

She's hot

Women love that Canon her said gently caress you to The Joker and own every man that gets close to her.