Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I really don't understand how Cruella got past the initial board meeting. Surely someone must have said, "Hey, her thing is killing and skinning puppies, are you sure we should make a movie with her as the protagonist??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I think it went as far as “this seems like it’d do well for a tshirt at Hot Topic, good enough”. Which is weird, since is Hot Topic even still around?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The conversation started and stopped with "Wait, Joker made how much money??"

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I hate this so much

Feminist Joker.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

f#a# posted:

I really don't understand how Cruella got past the initial board meeting. Surely someone must have said, "Hey, her thing is killing and skinning puppies, are you sure we should make a movie with her as the protagonist??"
It would have been a parody trailer/comedy skit maybe 10 years ago but now I look around and every other TV show is just like WHAT IF WE SAW WHAT NURSE RATCHED WAS DOING WHEN SHE WAS YOUNG??? ISN'T THAT FASCINATING???

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

f#a# posted:

Didn't we let that genie out of the bottle when we started making wildly successful movies about Maleficent, the Joker, and Harley Quinn?

I'm not a comic book guy but I think Joker has raped people.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The MSJ posted:

Not kidding when people say this is very Joker.

The Future? Like...what?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Craig Gillespie is hit or miss but I, Tonya was so good that I'm willing to give his weirdo Emma Stone movie a chance

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

feedmyleg posted:

The conversation started and stopped with "Wait, Joker made how much money??"

It was actually greenlit (and at least partially filmed) before Joker came out

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

The Future? Like...what?

Under her chin it says "is in skinning dogs!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FoneBone posted:

It was actually greenlit (and at least partially filmed) before Joker came out

Really? I find this shocking. This seems shot as a direct response to seeing Joker.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Really? I find this shocking. This seems shot as a direct response to seeing Joker.

It's probably more a reaction to Maleficent's success, if anything. Though if this movie is taking the same kind of run at humanizing Cruella as that movie did with its protag, oooof.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

The Future? Like...what?

I'm guessing the future is... women ceo's?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When do we get the Sexy Slugworth movie

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I'm guessing the future is... women ceo's?

You're not far off. In the trailer, she's crashing a fashion show by an older rival. So it's a "gently caress boomers" moment.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
But Cruella is Lost Generation or maybe Greatest, her grandchildren would be boomers :confused:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 16, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
She’s a fashion person so the Future means the clothes and style she’s wearing to impress Tulsa Swinton her boss and people

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The MSJ posted:

A lot of online critics are very positive about it too.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-snyder-cut-reactions-are-here-and-sos-a-new-traile-1846474461

Not kidding when people say this is very Joker.

We live in a society (for cruelty to animals)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 16, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gatts posted:

Tulsa Swinton

Tilda's redneck sister?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lqkfo7IymU

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I think its potentially interesting to see how they reconcile the end of Cruella with the character as she appears in the 1961 101 Dalmations. Before her introduction in the original film, Anita admonishes Roger for mocking Cruella—insisting she’s more of a tortured eccentric than a monster. Anita and Cruella were friends/acquaintances at some point in the past, which suggests Cruella wasn’t always so hosed up.

I guess that’s the needle they’re trying to thread.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I hope it's not just them getting high on mushroom spores and going nuts

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I hope it's not just them getting high on mushroom spores and going nuts

I hope it's exactly that

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Blair Witch + Midsommar looks okay?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Didn't recognize Reece Shearsmith until I read his name. Looks fun.

Sidenote, is anyone else having Youtube videos kind of freeze for a few seconds, and have major pixely glitchy blocks on trailers like this, where busy scenes get followed by black screens? I'm seeing it on anything I watch fullscreen over the past two weeks, and it feels like YT is lumping me in with some test of a lovely new video compression.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
This'll be the fourth or fifth Wheatley movie that's about a bad trip in the woods, and I think that's neat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

wuffles posted:

I think its potentially interesting to see how they reconcile the end of Cruella with the character as she appears in the 1961 101 Dalmations. Before her introduction in the original film, Anita admonishes Roger for mocking Cruella—insisting she’s more of a tortured eccentric than a monster. Anita and Cruella were friends/acquaintances at some point in the past, which suggests Cruella wasn’t always so hosed up.

I guess that’s the needle they’re trying to thread.

Iirc, Cruella and Anita were friends from school. Someone better than me at that could rewatch the original movie and see if Cruella is queer-coded.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bNrct-1uA4

Hm. Not for me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought this was taking place in the 70s?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It is absolutely for me. I love everything about this.

Vintersorg posted:

Was it? I know DCEU canon is a mess and should probably be ignored, but how would that mesh with Harley being in the other movies not set in the 70's?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I think you're confusing it with Darren Arronofsky's Batman?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have no idea where I heard that... I swore I heard it's a reboot but taking place in the 70s. :3:

Maybe I just assumed so after the art for everything.

E: Ah, it was one of the producers saying it was LIKE a 70s movie.

"Peter Safran called The Suicide Squad a "gritty 1970s war movie combined with the brilliance of James Gunn's characters and comedy","

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The MSJ posted:

I think you're confusing it with Darren Arronofsky's Batman?

I think that was originally supposed to be set in the 90's, but even that's out the window, since the trailer showed someone taking a picture with a smart phone.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

"Peter Safran called The Suicide Squad a "gritty 1970s war movie combined with the brilliance of James Gunn's characters and comedy","

Lol

They should've let Gunn combine cape flicks with Italian Poliziotteschi movies

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

That trailer was ok. I might watch this film.

I normally don’t really care for super hero films, and hate the DC films.... so I was ready to go back to not caring. But the Justice League recut was actually not bad*

Part of me wants this James Gunn suicide Squad Film to be ALOT better than every DC film, just because I really don’t like Snyder, and I just hated the other suicide squad. That trailer delivers.

Also I saw the poster a couple days ago and thought “ohh is this going to be like a 70’s grind house Suicide Squad film? I’m down for that”

*except that epilogue.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Laughed like 4 times during that trailer, it works.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Movie looks great, glad Marvel and DC get to share Gunn. I never would have guessed this would be the career path for the guy who wrote Tromeo & Juliet and made Slither.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
My bar for movies is so low, I don't care. I'll watch the movie with the sharkman ripping people in half, why not

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's a day one on HBO Max too, yeah I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I laughed at the bag of dicks/dicks on the beach joke because I'm trash.