Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Payment for a class I dropped after the term started. I added another late start class so I took the same number of units (at a different school same JUCO system), but I guess the school getting more money for it is on me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
That seems like some bullshit. In my case I was paying back the BAH I got for the classes I withdrew from.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

maffew buildings posted:

Anyone have experience with VA overpayments? I got a note I owe money, both tuition and housing allowance overpayment. Housing, yeah great, got it but the tuition overpayment wasn't received by me but the institution. Going to drop a line to the vet center at the school about this but figured I would ask here. It is a very VA move to tell me to ante up for money I didn't receive, though, so that's fun.

If you call the VA debt center, the guy I got was actually the single most helpful person I've ever talked to in any capacity anywhere that's even remotely associated with the government. Basically there's a freeze on debt poo poo with the VA through... September? Something like that. Mine was some huge dumb clusterfuck of shithead certifying officials going back and changing CoEs almost a year later for things, boiled down I was basically told don't worry about poo poo for tuition repayment until after September. There's supposed to be something recently passed where tuition overpayment gets pulled from the school and then you deal with the school, not the VA suddenly withholds poo poo.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Nope

Booger Presley fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 10, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Anyone have experience with VA overpayments? I got a note I owe money, both tuition and housing allowance overpayment. Housing, yeah great, got it but the tuition overpayment wasn't received by me but the institution. Going to drop a line to the vet center at the school about this but figured I would ask here. It is a very VA move to tell me to ante up for money I didn't receive, though, so that's fun.

Seconding to call the debt center. I had a machining class get canceled last spring due to COVID and no way to do it online. The school refunded tuition but it dropped me out of full time status which affected my housing allowance. I called the number on the letter they sent, and eventually got pointed to how to file an appeal and they cancelled the debt. Apparently it’s coming off my final month of eligibility but I don’t have to repay anything out of pocket.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Turns out I dropped post deadline so I'm on the hook. Whoops, lessons learned. I was advised apply for the Community College Grant for the state for this year and see if they can apply it retroactively to eliminate the debt, but I'm pretty sure the VA would want all their housing allowance back if my GI Bill was returned for the last academic year. Live and learn. Thanks for help here.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

Turns out I dropped post deadline so I'm on the hook. Whoops, lessons learned. I was advised apply for the Community College Grant for the state for this year and see if they can apply it retroactively to eliminate the debt, but I'm pretty sure the VA would want all their housing allowance back if my GI Bill was returned for the last academic year. Live and learn. Thanks for help here.

If this is your first time dropping a class, you should be able to get the debt forgiven. I dropped my first class mid program after drop due date and did not get a debt or bah recall. After the first time, debt issuing is the policy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
By drop due date do you mean the date where the school no longer charges you for the class? Like usually you can sign up for the a class, but then drop it within the first week or so and the school just refunds you.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

By drop due date do you mean the date where the school no longer charges you for the class? Like usually you can sign up for the a class, but then drop it within the first week or so and the school just refunds you.

Exactly, if you drop a class within that time period, the VA will not pay for that class. that can however affect your future BAH. The school VA certifying official certifies your enrollment at least twice. First when you register, then after the drop/add period, and then again if you drop a class.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just found out I was awarded an additional $10k/yr scholarship! It's crazy to think that the school is courting me so hard and actively paying me so much to attend for another five years. I've never been pursued by someone wanting to give me this much money especially for attending class and writing papers.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
gently caress me there are almost zero scholarships for grad school that I can apply to

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

gently caress me there are almost zero scholarships for grad school that I can apply to

Time to dance for tips bud

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

Look for term fellowship instead of scholarship, if you’re not already. FSU, for example, doesn’t have any scholarships for grad students, but they have a bunch of fellowships that are effectively the same thing. The difference is the fellows are technically employed.

Talk with the head of your grad program to ask what funding they have available. You might need to write some additional research papers, but you might also be able to get a grant or jump on a funded grant.

Do you have any post-911 left? If you switched to VR&E at some point, your P911 benefits may not have been fully exhausted.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Anyone ever had issues with their school (or anywhere else) accepting a Service 2 DD214?

I have a young friend in the guard who did federal relief orders last year for 90 days. 1 day would get him qualified to be declared financially independent and drop his FAFSA EFC to 0. Aside from the ridiculous process of actually getting him the 214 in which I had to pull strings because nobody gave a poo poo about an E4 and told him "they're working on it" for over 5 months.. the school has now told him that the service 2 copy isn't good enough and that he needs a member 4. I told him to tell them that it is extremely unlikely that he be given a member 4 dd214 from the state by the end of the semester when he needs this done to get his EFC adjusted and get financial aid for this academic year. I would not be surprised if he never receives a member 4 at all. The vet affairs office at the school said that "they would look into it" but that he needs to "keep trying with the G1" as if it didn't take me knowing someone who gives a poo poo to get him one in the first place.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? As far as I know the two forms contain literally identical content and that a service 2 is a legal replacement for a member 4 and they legally can't reject it. However this doesn't help him now because they're being stubborn about it and he only has a little over a month to get this done or else he misses out on at minimum a full Pell grant for these two semesters and likely other grant money (to the tune of probably around $10k).

I feel really bad for the dude, he needs the money and gets no financial aid because his parents make enough (but don't actually support him financially) and he can't claim himself as independent without doing this process. Right now he's waiting for the vet affairs office to get back to him about whether they can get financial aid to be flexible (seems unlikely, they seemed grumpy for him even calling) and he reached out to the ops NCO at state G1 to ask if a member 4 is even a possibility but that dude didn't respond to him for 4 months until I got him poked by someone spicy. They're apparently 2000+ dd214s backlogged since last year as well so dealing with this one E4 isn't a priority at all.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

That sounds like it sucks all around, but if my house was burning, the original of my Member 4 of my DD 214 would be the one thing I would grab, and its kind of personally reckless that I don't have that thing in a Safe Deposit Box. He should just take a gap year or some student loans.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That sounds like it sucks all around, but if my house was burning, the original of my Member 4 of my DD 214 would be the one thing I would grab, and its kind of personally reckless that I don't have that thing in a Safe Deposit Box. He should just take a gap year or some student loans.

He's a year from being done with his BS and has already loaned it up a bit. One good thing with our state is the guard scholarship program that covers our tuition entirely. He's just hurting for living expenses and really shouldn't need to be.

I thought it was ridiculous that they didn't have a 214 ready to put in his hand when he came off federal status. Then I thought it was ridiculous that he tried to do the right thing and went through his chain step by step all the way up to his company commander without them getting anything done, including his XO who I know personally and who did reach out as far as he could and was told the same thing by state that "they're working on it". Then I thought it was ridiculous that he couldn't get an email or phone call back from the G1 level, so I finally got fed up hearing about how hosed he was getting and pushed my nuclear button by reaching out to a cw4 I know through other things that used to be the G level HR section chief. He poked, and my friend had his service 2 sitting in his email in under 24 hours... 6 months of him trying everything he could think of later.

At this point I'm thinking that if the vet affairs office doesn't come back with good news about them taking the service 2 this week that he needs to get legal assistance and pursue getting them to accept the service 2 before the end of April by showing the documents to be legally equivalent. He'd be losing enough money to justify it if they don't have it processed and done by the end of April, and they've already told him as soon as the semester ends the academic year locks out for financial aid modifications.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

rifles posted:

I thought it was ridiculous that they didn't have a 214 ready to put in his hand when he came off federal status.

Then that is a misrepresentation of what I presumed the situation was. I had a folder full of DD-214s the day before I went on terminal leave. Copies were made as appropriate and I would prefer to guard the originals like the Louvre.

e: Also, it sounds like you have enough firepower to get wheels turning when they don't usually get turned. I think things will be fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People get original DD-214s? When I separated I got a link to a PDF.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I got a .pdf AND a lecture about not contacting the DOD office people that handle this stuff directly after my unit's admin department sat on my paperwork and indicated they may not have my DD-214 until AFTER my EAOS. Wow, the military!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You haven't really separated until you've spent an afternoon chasing down who actually handles something on your checklist because someone changed additional duties but the checklist wasn't updated.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Look for term fellowship instead of scholarship, if you’re not already. FSU, for example, doesn’t have any scholarships for grad students, but they have a bunch of fellowships that are effectively the same thing. The difference is the fellows are technically employed.

Talk with the head of your grad program to ask what funding they have available. You might need to write some additional research papers, but you might also be able to get a grant or jump on a funded grant.

Do you have any post-911 left? If you switched to VR&E at some point, your P911 benefits may not have been fully exhausted.

Unfortunately my school doesn't have any fellowships for my program. I've already done some digging as far as what my school offers as far as funding assistance and I've applied to everything that I can apply to. Fingers crossed I get them both: One will pay half my tuition, the other will just give me some cash.

I have something like 13 months of post 9/11 left but tuition will cost about seven grand beyond what GI Bill will pay for and there's no Yellow Ribbon at Edinburgh. I'm also hoping to get VR&E instead since that'll cover more things than just GI Bill alone.

In addition to tuition, gonna have to pay housing, airfare, and visa+NHS fees. All told I'm looking at something like $20,000 out of pocket, and that's with GI Bill. Getting the school scholarship that'll cut tuition in half will save me seven grand. I'm gonna use my BidenBux for visa+NHS fees (they want me to give them like $1,100 for the privilege of coming to their drat country and giving them all my money).

But goddamn, the few scholarships I've been able to find are ridiculous. One of them says it's specifically for the Fall 2021 semester but it doesn't award the money until the end of the semester. "Congrats, here's your scholarship! Sorry your school disenrolled you two months ago for lack of payment. Oh, and give us the money back since you're not a student anymore."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

Unfortunately my school doesn't have any fellowships for my program. I've already done some digging as far as what my school offers as far as funding assistance and I've applied to everything that I can apply to. Fingers crossed I get them both: One will pay half my tuition, the other will just give me some cash.

I have something like 13 months of post 9/11 left but tuition will cost about seven grand beyond what GI Bill will pay for and there's no Yellow Ribbon at Edinburgh. I'm also hoping to get VR&E instead since that'll cover more things than just GI Bill alone.

In addition to tuition, gonna have to pay housing, airfare, and visa+NHS fees. All told I'm looking at something like $20,000 out of pocket, and that's with GI Bill. Getting the school scholarship that'll cut tuition in half will save me seven grand. I'm gonna use my BidenBux for visa+NHS fees (they want me to give them like $1,100 for the privilege of coming to their drat country and giving them all my money).

But goddamn, the few scholarships I've been able to find are ridiculous. One of them says it's specifically for the Fall 2021 semester but it doesn't award the money until the end of the semester. "Congrats, here's your scholarship! Sorry your school disenrolled you two months ago for lack of payment. Oh, and give us the money back since you're not a student anymore."

That sounds about right now that I recall your plans. Good luck!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A .pdf? That's wild, I got a paper copy of my DD214 and have a notarized copy of it on file with my hometown court house.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
There's always the student debt crisis!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

You haven't really separated until you've spent an afternoon chasing down who actually handles something on your checklist because someone changed additional duties but the checklist wasn't updated.

I have had nightmares this year about this. I have been out for a decade.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I got lucky with my separation checklist because I had to get one completely filled out when I went to Wounded Warrior Battalion for a hip surgery about 6 months before I got out. I didn’t actually have to give that checklist to anybody, so I held on to it and just turned in my SCIF badge and bounced without having to track anybody down when the time came.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm just about to finish up grad school using the Post 9/11 Bill, and other than hounding the schools pay department once a semester to get them to correct my credit hours or to file the drat thing, haven't had any problems. Once I'm done with the masters I think I'll. . . . start another masters at the same school to keep the money train rolling. San Francisco COLA is like $4,600~ full time; this area sucks poo poo but this money is incredible. I love school so much. I love education. I love the military. I love being able to squeeze two more masters out of this fucker.

But, real talk though: Is continuing on to a PhD the way to go? I'm already working full time with a career that I'm going to keep going with. PhDs sound like actual work, and also require working a second job, right? It would be cool to be a Doctor, but since I'm not planning on going into academia the title is mostly just to toot my own horn.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Get a PhD if you can simply because you’ll be getting paid to go to school by the school in addition to your VA benefits. From May 2021 to May 2022, I’m going to bring in roughly $68k via PhD stipend, fellowship award, GI Bill, and VA compensation.

BAH in my area is $1450/mo.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The school will pay me too? For real?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Depending on the topic, absolutely. My school is paying all my tuition and fees while also giving me $38k/yr to start. That will go up each year by some inflation adjusted amount. Any additional grants, fellowships, or the like go straight to my pockets.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wrr posted:

I'm just about to finish up grad school using the Post 9/11 Bill, and other than hounding the schools pay department once a semester to get them to correct my credit hours or to file the drat thing, haven't had any problems. Once I'm done with the masters I think I'll. . . . start another masters at the same school to keep the money train rolling. San Francisco COLA is like $4,600~ full time; this area sucks poo poo but this money is incredible. I love school so much. I love education. I love the military. I love being able to squeeze two more masters out of this fucker.

But, real talk though: Is continuing on to a PhD the way to go? I'm already working full time with a career that I'm going to keep going with. PhDs sound like actual work, and also require working a second job, right? It would be cool to be a Doctor, but since I'm not planning on going into academia the title is mostly just to toot my own horn.

Make sure you love the topic at a minimum and look at average time to graduation. I think PhDs are usually like 4-6 years? If its free, its up to you if you want to put in the work. My desire for a PhD and further learning is mitigated by the memory of how stressful my capstone was. Also, make sure to get an idea of the culture for the PhD program you apply to, they can be extremely toxic.

A second masters might be more fun or interesting. You should go to Cal Poly if you can leave the bay.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

lightpole posted:

Make sure you love the topic at a minimum and look at average time to graduation. I think PhDs are usually like 4-6 years? If its free, its up to you if you want to put in the work. My desire for a PhD and further learning is mitigated by the memory of how stressful my capstone was. Also, make sure to get an idea of the culture for the PhD program you apply to, they can be extremely toxic.

A second masters might be more fun or interesting. You should go to Cal Poly if you can leave the bay.

Not planning on leaving the bay as my good job is here. I was considering just entering the PhD version of the masters program I am in, although I guess I would have to speak to my program director to find out if that is something I can do. I truly unsure of how college even works; I know that I imported my AA into my BA, thus making it already halfway done by the time I started it. I've been sort of assuming that I can do that with my masters, and cut the 4 year long PhD program down to 2 when my 2 years of masters is factored in?

I like my school and the program a lot. I got some beef with it, of course, but it seems legit as far as culture and people go. I do love this topic; I've found myself specializing in leftist Internet anthropology; Something Awful itself is featured heavily in my masters! Not fully sure if I have that much to say about the topic but after being in academia for a bit I've found my ability to just make up smart sounding hot takes to be rapidly improving. This ties back to my early concern about PhDs being actual work; seems harder to just fake your way through them like I can with a masters.

Thinking about doing a masters in Human Sexuality and studying the effect of porn poisoning on Extremely Online dudes and how it relates to radicalization and changes in self-identity and junk. Seems interesting enough.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I learned a lot doing my MBA but if I wanted to skate through it would have been easy. My MS Engineering was not easy in the least but that was down to the classes I took and the expectations I set for myself and my topic. One of my peers wrote a pretty cursory capstone while mine was thesis length and quality at a minimum.

My impression of a PhD is that the length is more due to the time it takes to find and properly explore and write a dissertation, not the length of the actual coursework. If you already have a thesis and can push much further into it, you can probably cut down on the time a bit but you would have to find an advisor that fits if your current one doesnt.

I was talking to a friend who got her PhD in Economics right before my graduation because I was so drained and didn't want to see my family or anyone and she told me she was having panic attacks on stage at hers.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 26, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I like where I live but sometimes I wish I had just gone back to the bay and enrolled at SFSU or something since I would have brought in like 80% more the last 15 months.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
My dad went to CSU EB and then Berkeley when he got back from Vietnam. Started in the BOQ on Treasure Island and then went to the Marina with his government money, basically living the dream.

I'm not sure you can beat SLO though, Cal Poly is awesome.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 26, 2021

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Follow-up on my friend's DD214 situation.. I poked the CW4 again and he got every copy of my friend's 214 in pdf format 45 minutes later. All of them. Lesson is it pays to network I guess. Here's hoping he gets a nice 6-10k of grants in the next couple weeks to make life easier.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

rifles posted:

Follow-up on my friend's DD214 situation.. I poked the CW4 again and he got every copy of my friend's 214 in pdf format 45 minutes later. All of them. Lesson is it pays to network I guess. Here's hoping he gets a nice 6-10k of grants in the next couple weeks to make life easier.

This is good to hear!

brains
May 12, 2004

looking at fall registration and i lol at this every time

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

brains posted:

looking at fall registration and i lol at this every time

Congrats on your future with the DNC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Does anyone have experience applying for an extension of their GI Bill delimiting date? The recent VR&E change means I suddenly have some extra entitlement that I'm not going to be able to use up in time.