Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Hahaha Marquette is an absolutely hosed up school right now, the faculty are in open and righteous war against an administration that is suicidally gung-ho about firing professors and reducing salary costs. Hiring a big name college coach is going to pour gas on that fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

elentar posted:

Hahaha Marquette is an absolutely hosed up school right now, the faculty are in open and righteous war against an administration that is suicidally gung-ho about firing professors and reducing salary costs. Hiring a big name college coach is going to pour gas on that fire.

I'm 20 years removed from going there and apparently haven't kept up enough in what's going on there, that's sad to hear.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Lots of Indiana guys in the transfer portal, pretty much all of them have said they are open to coming back if the coaching situation works out favorably for them

Jordan Geronimo
Armaan Franklin
Parker Stewart
Race Thompson

Also Al Durham and TJD are considering their options.

Aaron Wheeler is transferring from Purdue. One of those guys who had tons of athleticism and potential, but couldn't hit a shot to save his life. Shot ok his freshman year, but fell apart the next two.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Chris Beard to Texas?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

PotatoJudge posted:

Aaron Wheeler is transferring from Purdue. One of those guys who had tons of athleticism and potential, but couldn't hit a shot to save his life. Shot ok his freshman year, but fell apart the next two.

That's too bad, but does this ultimately help us given we aren't losing a single senior? I'm not sure how messed up scholarships are right now given the eligibility waivers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

gvibes posted:

Chris Beard to Texas?

That would be dangerous. Brad Stevens, Mark Few, Scott Drew might get a call too. Brad is of course a pipe dream

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Poque posted:

That's too bad, but does this ultimately help us given we aren't losing a single senior? I'm not sure how messed up scholarships are right now given the eligibility waivers.

Next year wouldn't be a problem either way, year after would have been 1 over if Wheeler used his free year from this season and stayed, assuming that they fill the spot opened up when Jameel Brown de-committed after Shrewsberry was hired by Penn St.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

PotatoJudge posted:

Lots of Indiana guys in the transfer portal, pretty much all of them have said they are open to coming back if the coaching situation works out favorably for them

Jordan Geronimo
Armaan Franklin
Parker Stewart
Race Thompson

Also Al Durham and TJD are considering their options.

Durham is in the portal now, as is 5 star freshman Khristian Lander. Lander got reserve minutes last year, and could not shoot, he was sub 20% from 3. But, last year was supposed to be his senior year of high school, so maybe a year of growth and time in the weight room will help.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

That would be dangerous. Brad Stevens, Mark Few, Scott Drew might get a call too. Brad is of course a pipe dream

If Mark Few was going to leave it would have happened like 15 years ago. He's not still there because no school with money ever bothered to think "hey I bet the guy who turned a tiny rear end school in the middle of nowhere Washington into a national power might be good at this"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh yeah I know. Texas has a lot of money and delusional fans they will surely reach for the stars before settling on Matthew McConaughey

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
When Texas hired Shaka Smart I was sure they had at least some deep tourney runs in their future if not a title

Now they're lucky to get rid of him for free

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i feel like scott drew and chris beard are 1 and 1a for texas, with dana altman being another solid choice (although i imagine oregon can spend just as much as texas on a non-football sport)

comedy option: rick pitino

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why would Beard go to Texas?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

Why would Beard go to Texas?

Money and not living in Lubbock.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He is an alum too

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also Beard went to the national championship and hasn't really turned that into great recruiting classes from what I can tell. Maybe he's sick of having to convince kids to go to Lubbock. Then again losing Mahomes as a fan would be something you have to take to your grave sooo

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Texas is also gonna have a shiny new basketball arena soon-ish although COVID put those plans on hold to some degree

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

beard took the tech job mostly to be closer to his kids; austin’s pretty far from lubbock but it’s closer than any other p5 job in shouting distance and it’d probably be a pay bump and resources bump along with him being alumni

i think it’s the only job he’d consider jumping ship for which is why it’s so popular to speculate on it

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Declan MacManus posted:

beard took the tech job mostly to be closer to his kids; austin’s pretty far from lubbock but it’s closer than any other p5 job in shouting distance and it’d probably be a pay bump and resources bump along with him being alumni

i think it’s the only job he’d consider jumping ship for which is why it’s so popular to speculate on it

He’ll just get Texas to provide helicopter rides to see his kids.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Oh I thought beard was a tech alum

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

But Daaaaaddd I don't wanna go to Austin ten times a year

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Beard also only has a $4m buyout if he goes to another Big XII school (it’s a $2m buyout otherwise, lol)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

MourningView posted:

If Mark Few was going to leave it would have happened like 15 years ago. He's not still there because no school with money ever bothered to think "hey I bet the guy who turned a tiny rear end school in the middle of nowhere Washington into a national power might be good at this"
Also his recruiting is completely loving ridiculous right now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think Oregon tried to get Few a couple times, but he never seemed interested in leaving.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
It's very difficult to resist the gravitational well of Pullman.

You walk in and you lose 6 years trying to find your way out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gvibes posted:

Also his recruiting is completely loving ridiculous right now.

Yeah they're probably gonna have the best group of one and done guys next year other than Duke and Few can actually coach a functional offense unlike K

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Troy Queef posted:

Beard also only has a $4m buyout if he goes to another Big XII school (it’s a $2m buyout otherwise, lol)

$4M is nothing. They don’t have to buy out Smart too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah let's remember that the University of Texas has its own television network.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pretty surprising that Jake Young is transfering... I thought he would go try to play overseas or something.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/1375674686588223490

Just a hilarious number of Big Ten players in the transfer portal right now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think like half of college basketball generally is in it a lot of guys will go back

Austin Ash is a walk on who is like 5'8" but I bet he could play somewhere small, he's a ridiculous shooter. All the players say he's the best one on the team, and whenever he gets in he immediately starts drilling steph curry deep threes

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

I think like half of college basketball generally is in it a lot of guys will go back

This is a good thing for player agency in the end, but still :lol:

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1375802582388633602

Even the crappy players are looking to jump ship at Mizzou now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I think there's also a lot more of coaches pressuring guys to transfer so they can try to get someone better but college sports media is almost exclusively bootlickers who get a hard on from calling another grown man coach so it pretty much only gets talked about in terms of impatient and ungrateful players being unable to wait their turn

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 27, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i didn't see that kopp was transferring, northwestern is going to be Real Bad next season too, it's weird we keep hearing about how collins is pulling in the best recruiting classes we've ever had but his teams are worse than carmody telling a bunch of oafish bulgarians to stand around for 30 seconds and then back cut, i assume collins is gone after next year unless they make the tournament again. the funniest thing collins did to himself was to create actual expectations at a garbage program that never wins anything, but he seems like a giant rear end in a top hat so i won't be crushed to see him gone.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

D2 championship is on now and I just found out the West Texas A&M coach is my high school coach, Tom Brown, so that's cool.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

lol I saw his mom tweeting at Kim English to "come get PB" and I was like "yes, please do that." Good luck to Parker, he probably needs to be at a mid-major because his ability to defend AND ball handle down low are mostly non-existent

edit: lol mark smith is transferring?

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1375906094183243776

good luck to him. he somehow completely lost the ability to shoot the ball the past 2 years.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 27, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want Bruce Pearl but I’ll settle for Chris Beard.

fast cars loose anus posted:

When Texas hired Shaka Smart I was sure they had at least some deep tourney runs in their future if not a title

Now they're lucky to get rid of him for free

Shaka Smart was never a particularly good coach; he had name recognition when we hired him from his two tourney runs at VCU, but he only really got those because of the players recruited by the coach before him. The main reason he was hired was because there weren’t a whole lot of good names to pick from at the time and Shaka was the first guy with a decent rep (earned or otherwise) to take the job. I think there were two or three other potentially better coaches on our list before Shaka who either passed or got rejected by our search firm for whatever reasons.

Basically we got Shaka because Rick Barnes’s firing, though necessary, was really really badly timed (gently caress YOU STEVE PATTERSON :argh:).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 28, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sounds like getting Chris Beard might cost us

https://twitter.com/gkketch/status/1375475650384039942?s=21
https://twitter.com/gkketch/status/1375476851683037189?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/1375984636862468101?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Arkansas can’t keep getting 10 points behind and then surging back to win, surely. All 5 of Musselman’s tournament wins between Nevada and here have had big comebacks, though.

Baylor could win 100-0 and I would consider this a good season, but on the other hand we also scored more points than anyone else who played yesterday so... maybe we have a chance?

I am just glad Justin Smith is balling out and hope he can land a g league contract after all this

https://twitter.com/jaredberson/status/1376202500777381892?s=21